Metal Storm logo
Favorite guitar solo

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 20.08.2006 - 19:25
This isn't about the best guitar solo, but your favorite one, and explain why it's your fav.

Mine is the one of Fatal Tragedy (Dream Theater). It may not be Petrucci's best, but I love it because it begins quite powerful, then he plays some sort of different "extracts", and finally that amazing progression until the end of the song.
16.05.2007 - 15:24
Hyvaarin
Not my favourite, but I'm listening to Yngwie's "I Am a Viking" in a while and holy hell it is good. Putting it on the to-learn list.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
17.05.2007 - 16:59
Lord TJ
Speed Metal Symphony - Jason Becker and Marty Friedman

9 minutes of soloing
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
23.05.2007 - 11:13
ToCSiN
Account deleted
In The Fire from the album RoadRunner United
This song is by:
King Diamond, vocals (Mercyful Fate, King Diamond)
Matt Heafy, lead, rhythm, acoustic guitars (Trivium)
Corey Beaulieu, lead and rhythm guitars (Trivium)
Mike D'Antonio, bass (Killswitch Engage)
Dave Chavarri, drums (Ill Niño)

It's solo is just awesome ... Hail Trivium
24.05.2007 - 10:45
Hamird
Lieutenant
best guitar solo that i've ever heard is EVERYTHING INVADED of MOONSPELL ... that is really great.
i think RICARDO AMORIM is one the best guitarist in metal history.
24.05.2007 - 20:23
BlackMin
Account deleted
Dream Theater - Another Day by Petrucci / Nevermore - Born by Loomis
24.05.2007 - 22:10
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by [user id=2431] on 24.05.2007 at 20:23

Dream Theater - Another Day by Petrucci

Ahh, good choice I must say. It's a very beuatiful solo.
----
25.05.2007 - 00:33
Sunioj
Death - Zombie Ritual

Stays in your head for frickin eva!
25.05.2007 - 06:02
Blackwinged 666
Account deleted
Euro's Freezing Moon or Trey's Secured Limitations... I' not really sure....
the reason... I really like them both very much. Great works of a great musicians.
28.05.2007 - 22:27
The solo in Maiden's From here to eternity, absolutely among my favorites. It's catchy and it's fast. Not so fast, that you can't hear what's going on, but still so damn fast you've got realize that you'll probably never learn how to play it. Rock on Davey-boy!
----
Hell ain't a bad place...
29.05.2007 - 01:26
Sunioj
Written by [user id=2144] on 25.05.2007 at 06:02

Euro's Freezing Moon or Trey's Secured Limitations... I' not really sure....
the reason... I really like them both very much. Great works of a great musicians.

Dude, were the same man, Secured limitations is one of the most badass Morbid Angel songs ever....and Freezing moons solo, is wonderful.

Dissection pulls off some great solos too, in the cold winds of nowhere. That songs solo, brings the chaotic sound of the song to another level. One of my most favorite solos of all time. Also Arch Enemys Pilgrim has a epic solo.
01.06.2007 - 05:08
scskowron
War Paladin
Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin. Best song/solo of all time, in my opinion.

As far as metal...a few come to mind:
The Call of Ktulu, Metallica
Seventh Son of a seventh son, Iron Maiden
On The Shores of Ithaka, Quo Vadis
04.06.2007 - 22:29
Infurnace
At the moment, my favorite guitar solo is from "My Acid Words" by Nevermore. That one is really good.
06.06.2007 - 09:22
graywolf87
Account deleted
best solo song: Chuck Schuldiner's "Voice Of The Soul"...the greatest composition I have ever listened to

...and the best "Metal" solo between a song goes up to the man "Dimebag Darell" for "The Sleep", "Floods"

...without mentioning Paul Gilbert.
12.10.2007 - 20:55
Sonsofsabbath
Led Zeppelin stairway to heaven. This solo is dramatical in so far as it builds up and releases tension , with resolution. In my opinion most great solos do this, it is what separates the men from the boys, if you like. You can also listen to " do you feel like we do from Frampton comes alive " another fabulously delivered solo in a live setting. Although not metal, any guitarist should be able to appreciate the beauty.

Some say comfortably numb delivered by david gilmour also rates up there. Gilmour's solos are generaly well thought out. He is a master, known not for speed , but for the timing in his bending and sustaining of notes.

Solo's are about subtly and nuance as much as they can be about power and force. I agree that dream theatre's gutarist delivers some hot solo's, but it is his subtle playing that I like

Alex Lifeson of Rush is also a skilled soloist who delivers with economy, usually, but for somthing differedt check out by- tor and the snow dog , the solo that commences after the silent part,very dramatic, and tatsefully done.
14.10.2007 - 02:27
Templar_Knight
Account deleted
Judas PRiest - Painkiller
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
14.10.2007 - 10:02
Too many fail.
Meshuggah / rational gaze.
It's so bizarre.
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
15.10.2007 - 12:38
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Slayer - Angel Of Death I quess
15.10.2007 - 13:13
Too many fail.
Written by [user id=26136] on 15.10.2007 at 12:38

I can't understand why people praise king's solos, I think he's pretty much the shittiest lead player in the world. : /
Just my opinion though...
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
15.10.2007 - 19:29
Charly546
Anacrusis - A World To Gain
15.10.2007 - 19:37
Lord TJ
I know its a bit over-rated, but my choice would have to be Mr. Crowley with Randy Rhoads.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

15.10.2007 - 19:56
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by Too many fail. on 15.10.2007 at 13:13

I can't understand why people praise king's solos, I think he's pretty much the shittiest lead player in the world. : /

its Jeff as well
I like the fast and chaotic leads more than those 10 min. progressive solo's.
just my opinion though...
15.10.2007 - 20:11
Lord TJ
I can't understand why people praise king's solos, I think he's pretty much the shittiest lead player in the world.

Trust me, Suffocation has some shitty as solo's.
----

15.10.2007 - 20:44
Too many fail.
Written by Lord TJ on 15.10.2007 at 20:11

I can't understand why people praise king's solos, I think he's pretty much the shittiest lead player in the world.

Trust me, Suffocation has some shitty as solo's.

Most "extreme" bands have pretty shite guitar leads in general. Morbid angel for example, i can't stand those leads.
----
- Bill Hicks
15.10.2007 - 20:45
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
The solos in One and The Unforgiven are among my favourites.
----
THRASH!!!
15.10.2007 - 20:46
Lord TJ
I have their first album Altars Of Madness. I guess whoever does the solo's was tripping on acid or something. Thats why most of their solo's sound like a bunch of random wankery.
----

15.10.2007 - 20:52
Too many fail.
Written by [user id=26136] on 15.10.2007 at 19:56

its Jeff as well

I think slayer solos are a bit beyond chaotic, I wonder if the guys actually write them or just kind of play whatever? anyone know?

Edit: Don´t get the idea that i dont like "chaotic" solos, meshuggah and gorguts have some of my fav solo work!
----
- Bill Hicks
16.10.2007 - 16:07
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by Too many fail. on 15.10.2007 at 20:52

its Jeff as well

I think slayer solos are a bit beyond chaotic, I wonder if the guys actually write them or just kind of play whatever? anyone know?

Edit: Don´t get the idea that i dont like "chaotic" solos, meshuggah and gorguts have some of my fav solo work!

whatta!? you think slayer solos are beyond chaotic and you call meshuggah solos just "chaotic" i'm surprised

but Slayer really thought about it, maybe you cant hear it on Reign In Blood, but you can hear it clearly on Show No Mercy or Seasons In The Abyss
16.10.2007 - 16:19
Kharn
Account deleted
Death - Overactive imagination, jealosy, trapped in a corner.
Suffocation - Pierced from within.
Megadeth - Holy Wars...the punishmeny due.
Slayer - Crionics

Couldn't pick just one
16.10.2007 - 16:26
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Crionics. underrated song great outro starting from the last verse
16.10.2007 - 19:06
Too many fail.
Written by [user id=26136] on 16.10.2007 at 16:07

Written by Too many fail. on 15.10.2007 at 20:52

its Jeff as well

whatta!? you think slayer solos are beyond chaotic and you call meshuggah solos just "chaotic" i'm surprised

but Slayer really thought about it, maybe you cant hear it on Reign In Blood, but you can hear it clearly on Show No Mercy or Seasons In The Abyss

At least meshuggah has a constant vibe going intheir leads, theres always something that you can hook on to rhythmically or melodically (even though they are based very much on the concept of sounding dissonant etc.) older slayer just really seems like its random shit on the fretboard with not much thought, but yeah im talking about the alder stuff, it´s pretty obvious that the solos to eg the song seasons in the abyss were written and thought about, i still dont dig it too much though.
----
- Bill Hicks