Metal Storm logo
Favorite guitar solo

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 20.08.2006 - 19:25
This isn't about the best guitar solo, but your favorite one, and explain why it's your fav.

Mine is the one of Fatal Tragedy (Dream Theater). It may not be Petrucci's best, but I love it because it begins quite powerful, then he plays some sort of different "extracts", and finally that amazing progression until the end of the song.
16.10.2007 - 20:57
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by Too many fail. on 16.10.2007 at 19:06

Written by [user id=26136] on 16.10.2007 at 16:07

Written by Too many fail. on 15.10.2007 at 20:52

Written by [user id=26136] on 15.10.2007 at 19:56

Written by Too many fail. on 15.10.2007 at 13:13

Written by [user id=26136] on 15.10.2007 at 12:38

Slayer - Angel Of Death I quess

I can't understand why people praise king's solos, I think he's pretty much the shittiest lead player in the world. : /
Just my opinion though...

its Jeff as well
I like the fast and chaotic leads more than those 10 min. progressive solo's.
just my opinion though...

I think slayer solos are a bit beyond chaotic, I wonder if the guys actually write them or just kind of play whatever? anyone know?

Edit: Don´t get the idea that i dont like "chaotic" solos, meshuggah and gorguts have some of my fav solo work!

whatta!? you think slayer solos are beyond chaotic and you call meshuggah solos just "chaotic" i'm surprised

but Slayer really thought about it, maybe you cant hear it on Reign In Blood, but you can hear it clearly on Show No Mercy or Seasons In The Abyss

At least meshuggah has a constant vibe going intheir leads, theres always something that you can hook on to rhythmically or melodically (even though they are based very much on the concept of sounding dissonant etc.) older slayer just really seems like its random shit on the fretboard with not much thought, but yeah im talking about the alder stuff, it´s pretty obvious that the solos to eg the song seasons in the abyss were written and thought about, i still dont dig it too much though.

dissapointing that you call it just some hammering on the fretboard. just because its chaotic and fast doesnt mean they havent thought about it. I think its a great way of playing leads.
and by the way: Meshuggah has some great songs. well, 2 what I can think of. but their solo's are one of the worst I've ever heard. technical, but way too technical, if you can call it that way. I mean the solo on future breed machine is just about getting as many different notes with all thesame lenght, no variation, which I think is boring
16.10.2007 - 21:12
Too many fail.
Yeah i used to despise the band, let alone the solos. Now theyre one of my favourites, rational gaze solo ftw!
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
17.10.2007 - 02:14
ASiema113
I'd have to say the solo from "Binge and Grab" is one of my favorites and any RR solos on Blizzard Of OZZ, but there's to many more to get into.
----

Written by [user id=22888] on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
19.10.2007 - 06:49
Anthem
Have to go old school, David Gilmour in comfortably numb. I know its not metal but a great solo
----
I swear by my life and love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor shall I ask another to live for me.

John Galt
05.11.2007 - 17:36
Stratowarrior
the best solo for me is the one in it's a mystery from STRATO it has got so much feeling
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
07.11.2007 - 22:32
Olli
Firewind - The Fire And The Fury (Great guitarist - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHy-OVlijsQ)
Necrophagist - Fermented Offal Discharge (incredible)
Children Of Bodom - Bed Of Razors
Dream Theater - The Name Of God
Metallica - One
Arch Enemy - Burning Angel
Loads of Iron Maiden ones and slayer.. If I have to pick one by each problem Paschendale and Angel of Death.

Argh I keep remembering more.. I gotta stop editing this post lol.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
08.11.2007 - 16:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by heresiarch on 05.09.2006 at 22:14

One of my favs is Iron Maiden - Gangland short but effective

Whoa! That was a special statement! Certainly don't agree but it's really fun to see solos I'd never expect to be mentioned!
----
10.12.2007 - 20:12
RockeRoy
John petrucci- under a glass moon
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
10.12.2007 - 20:23
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by RockeRoy on 10.12.2007 at 20:12

John petrucci- under a glass moon

Classic!
----
23.01.2008 - 16:55
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Michael Romeo - Sea Of Lies, OF sins and shadows, the damnation game.
Walter Giardino from rata Blanca - La leyenda del hada y el mago
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
23.01.2008 - 21:11
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Malmsteen - Rising Force (although I think hes stolen it from Megadeth)

Death - Vacant Planets

Metallica - One, Fade To Black

Pantera - Domination
----
24.01.2008 - 21:50
IllNiñoSweden
Pantera - Becoming and Drag the waters and of course Raining in blood and Angel of death with Slayer.
25.01.2008 - 02:14
Ascalon
When I started listening to metal ... the solos in Mater of Puppets were the most incredible thing in the world ... and they still are really good at least me for me ...
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
28.01.2008 - 10:24
FOOCK Nam
Best metal solo all times for me is in Winter Madness of Wintersun. Its very agressive but also beautiful.
28.01.2008 - 12:12
Smurfophagist
Written by Ascalon on 25.01.2008 at 02:14

When I started listening to metal ... the solos in Mater of Puppets were the most incredible thing in the world ... and they still are really good at least me for me ...

I agree. That solo never ceases to amaze me.
But John Petrucci is definitely my favorite soloist.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
01.02.2008 - 17:52
Son of Odin
The solo in Maidens Phantom of the opera, prefer the live version of the song. KILLER!
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
01.02.2008 - 17:57
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Son of Odin on 01.02.2008 at 17:52

The solo in Maidens Phantom of the opera, prefer the live version of the song. KILLER!

Yeah it almost makes me cry, never forget when I experienced it live.
----
01.02.2008 - 18:12
Son of Odin
Written by Warman on 01.02.2008 at 17:57

Written by Son of Odin on 01.02.2008 at 17:52

Yeah it almost makes me cry, never forget when I experienced it live.

Totally agree, its a shame that Maiden doesnt play this song that often at the concerts.:banger2:
Probably, or actually the best song that has ever been made.
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
11.03.2008 - 17:58
ABUSOR
Account deleted
Andreas Kisser's solo in Mass Hypnosis, its got so feel in it(well, for me anyway).. Also I think Dime's solo in I'm Broken is a classic, its just fucking great
11.03.2008 - 19:52
Hamird
Lieutenant
the best one which i've heard is Homage for Satan, done by Deicide... that is really nice. if you haven't listened to that get it now. Santolla and Owen are great in this song (video) ...
11.03.2008 - 23:09
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Disposable Heroes - Metallica
Beneath the Mire - Opeth
Conquer All - Behemoth
Killers - Iron Maiden
The Stillborn One - Necrophagist
Back in the Village - Iron Maiden
Pull the Plug - Death (and alot of solos on Individual Thought Patterns)

there's tons, i only put the ones i could think of at the moment..
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
11.03.2008 - 23:24
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Visioneerie on 11.03.2008 at 23:09

Odd choice
----
12.03.2008 - 01:38
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Warman on 11.03.2008 at 23:24

Written by Visioneerie on 11.03.2008 at 23:09

Odd choice

Ah the solo is great you have to admit, i love the way it starts, with those awesome bends and the pull-offs, the good old trademark Maiden solo.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
12.03.2008 - 14:52
Metal_Militia
//My first would have to be the solo from the song SWEATING BULLETS by MRGADETH. I think the first 10 seconds of that solo slays! love the way Dave plays that. Its clean while at the same time thrash based. Second would be the FIRST solo on THE FOUR HORSEMEN by METALLICA. It is very technical and has a classic rock feeling I enjoy. The third and final would be STORY TO TELL by DEATH. Chuck rips the shit outta this one. His sound i think will never be mached and this is a perfect example. I thought for sure his guitar strings were gonna fall off after he was done playing that//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

14.03.2008 - 15:33
Hangar XVIII
The first solo in Mercyful Fate's song "A Dangerous Meeting" is outstanding.

Now Your Ships are Burned by Yngwie Malmsteen.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
14.03.2008 - 15:58
Graveheart
Doom metal guitar solos, anyone? I was about to create a recommendation/arena thread for these, but I guess this is a better place for it. The other day I was listening to Words That Crawled by Mourning Beloveth and realised that the ending sounds exactly like what I'm looking for in a guitar solo, and I'd like to know if there's more similar stuff done by other doom metal bands. Any doom subgenre is fine, I just can't stand most guitar solos in other metal genres.
31.03.2008 - 06:25
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I'm currently loving the guitar solo on Manilla Road's song "Witches Brew."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3us9eEWf5Ac
----
The force will be with you, always.
31.03.2008 - 09:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
OK, so I've narrowed it down to my top 3:
1. Motorhead-Ace Of Spades
Cliche, yes I know, but there my favorite band and I almost have the entire discography so Im allowed to say it with out seeming like a compilation whore. Probably one of the things that made this song so memorable was the solo. Forever making Fast Eddie Clarke my favorite guitarist
2. Tygers Of Pan Tang-Gangland
The definition of face-melter. Couldn't tell you how skilled Robb Weir is because I'm not a guitars, but the speed and intensity is just....face melting! Comes in at about 9:35 of this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on0iBqCqZSI
3. Ensiferum-Into Battle
At exactly 4:19 it breaks clear into that sweet climax thats so incredible. Cliche once again I know, but a cool solo is a cool solo.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.04.2008 - 16:54
Stratowarrior
i wrote before that my favourite solo was it's a mystery from stratovarius but also i love "caught somewhere in time" solo is an excellent solo
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
07.04.2008 - 01:14
eximius
Painkiller and Metal Meltdown from Judas. I just love the way Metal Meltdown begins
From Maiden I gladly chose Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Each time I listen to this song I skip the rest till the last 3 minutes