13. Sacred Reich [Sacred Reich cover] [Special Deluxe Edition bonus]
14. 22 Acacia Avenue [Iron Maiden cover] [Special Deluxe Edition bonus]
15. Lady In Black [Mercyful Fate cover] [Special Deluxe Edition bonus]
16. My Friend Of Misery [Metallica cover] [Special Deluxe Edition bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1995: 7
Top 200 albums of all time: 84
Featured in "Getting Into: Dark Tranquillity"

Additional info
Label: Osmose productions (Cat.#: OPCD 033)

Special "Deluxe" edition released in 2005 by Century Media Records (US) & Osmose productions (Europe). This version features different booklet layout as well bonus tracks.

Recorded and mixed at Studio Fredman during April and May 1995. Engineered and produced by Fredrik Nordström and Dark Tranquillity.

Cover artwork by Kristian Wåhlin. Layout by Cabin Fever Media.
Band photo by Kenneth Johansson. Proofreading by Rahvin.

Staff review by
Deadsoulman
Rating:
This is obviously my favourite album of my favourite band. So you can easily imagine that I only have nice things to say about it. So, why does this album reach perfection? Why is it, in my opinion, the best melodic death metal album ever released? Simply because it is the manifest of a band that perfectly masters its music, and above all that loves what it is doing. You can feel such love for the metal in general all along the eleven tracks of this work. It is actually the first real album of the band after the departure of the previous singer Anders Friden, gone to found their Swedish mates of In Flames. So this is also the first album with Mikael Stanne, former guitarist, on the vocals, after the EP Of Chaos and Eternal Night.

Read more ››
published 11.09.2003 | Comments (16)

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Caution! Cult album ahead. "The Gallery" is to Melodic Death Metal what "Images And Words" is to Progressive Metal, if not more. The essence of Sweden delivered by Dark Tranquillity is simply grandiose. The duo of singers Mikael Stanne-Anders Friden blows everything in its path while emblematic songs keep playing in your shitty CD player. I'll have to visit Gothenburg one day, as a pilgrim of Holy Metalness, I'm serious!

Read more ››
published 11.08.2004 | Comments (1)

Found in 78 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 54   Visited by: 1843 users
31.01.2015 - 16:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 31.01.2015 at 16:39

Sounds interesting. I should do a DT marathon some time.

TBH The Gallery is fairly unique in their discog, as is Mind's Eye I suppose, though I never liked that one.
31.01.2015 - 16:48
Zap
Written by psykometal on 31.01.2015 at 16:43

Have you listened to Fiction? Imagine an entire album of songs more like Misery's Crown and The Mundane and the Magic. It's their only album which features Mikael actually singing frequently throughout the album.

I really love his singing voice, and wish he/they would decide to write more songs using it. Especially with how stale their albums have become recently. I feel like them shifting their sound/style in a more Projector-like direction, with more of him singing, would actually benefit the band more.

I have heard Fiction, but am not a huge fan. I will check out Projector though, since I like Mikael's singing voice as well.
31.01.2015 - 16:49
Zap
Written by Guest on 31.01.2015 at 16:44

TBH The Gallery is fairly unique in their discog, as is Mind's Eye I suppose, though I never liked that one.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed at first since The Gallery was the first DT album I checked out, but nothing else seemed to sound like it. I love Damage Done though. Everything else I've heard was good, but not great.
31.01.2015 - 16:53
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Zap on 31.01.2015 at 16:48

I will check out Projector though, since I like Mikael's singing voice as well.

----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

31.01.2015 - 22:31
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 31.01.2015 at 13:55

Written by Zap on 31.01.2015 at 13:43

I don't drink coffee very often, but when I do it's black or nothing. Which is the opposite of how I like my black metal these days.

If I have it black (i.e. when there's no milk around) I don't have sugar in it which does taste a bit weird.

By the time I finish with this post, I'll start with second cup of back coffee with no sugar.

Not weird I would say. It taste awesome.

You know in Kashmir people always go with coffee adding local kashmiri tulsi and ginger with no sugar after dinner. This is one of my favorite type of coffee ever.
12.10.2015 - 21:34
Rating: 6
Joppe
Steelemeister
Written by Erik M. on 20.04.2013 at 17:54

This is in my opinion one of the most overrated album EVER. ...

Agree!
----
My vision is augmented
13.10.2015 - 00:18
Lit.
Account deleted
Overrated, yes, but I'd still put it over anything else that came outta the Gothenburg scene, with the sole exception of The Jester Race. Damage Done is my favorite DT album, though.
19.03.2016 - 23:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This blows the Jester Race out the water. I got bored of Jester Race a decade ago but this still gets regular plays, especially when alcohol flows.
19.03.2016 - 23:40
Uldreth

Written by Guest on 19.03.2016 at 23:21

This blows the Jester Race out the water. I got bored of Jester Race a decade ago but this still gets regular plays, especially alcohol flows.

Agreed, in fact, bar a couple of songs I am not much into Jester Race and Whoracle at all anymore, out of In Flames' old albums, I prefer Lunar Strain, Subterranean and Colony.

From the early Gothenburg scene I do hold The Red In The Sky Is Ours and Burning Darkness above this album, and I am sometimes torn between this and Skydancer, but this is definitely a brilliant, timeless album and one of the best in the genre.
30.11.2016 - 20:39
Rating: 10
(o> . )

I tend to rate albums more positively, perhaps because when I don't like something I just turn away from it and don't really pay attention to it anymore, so this one deserves a 10, a worthy 10, all around great album, one of the heights of metal, especially melodic death and well, the expression Gothenburg for that matter. No need to talk about it, listening to the music is just enough of an argument!
17.04.2018 - 16:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Powerful album, melodic, fast, Dm, and aggressive, well speedy one, nothing as 1th one, complex, but a bit simple and this time no emotional song to catch even Eva-Marie Larsson had some guest vox. I like it in way it is but nostalgia is strong here
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.08.2018 - 02:48
Rating: 8
Jack_Torrance

The Gallery > The Jester Race
06.06.2020 - 22:39
Redel

Revisited this one. And directly swapped my 9 for a 10.
How this is supposed to be overrated is beyond me.
There is not much that I am missing here.
Highlights... Name it, almost everything. Only track 06 is a bit subpar for me.
Will always be their best album for me (I somehow know), Damage closely following.
07.07.2020 - 23:09
Rating: 9
chomskeet

Every few years I come back to this one since I know I liked it so much when I was first getting into metal. It really is as great as I remember it. The whole record is solid straight through. I find most melodic death metal boring/repetitive/done already these days barring B'elakor and Mors Principium Est, however, maybe it's just hard to top a classic album of the genre as well written as this.
17.12.2021 - 10:50
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
I prefer the first half of the album. My favorite tracks are definitely "The Dividing Line" and "The Gallery". The others are also OK songs, but I'm not that much of a fan. I rate it between a 7 and a 8.
17.12.2021 - 21:52
Redel

Written by F3ynman2000 on 17.12.2021 at 10:50

I prefer the first half of the album. My favorite tracks are definitely "The Dividing Line" and "The Gallery". The others are also OK songs, but I'm not that much of a fan. I rate it between a 7 and a 8.

You have discovered the first half of this masterpiece, great!
Now take a break and come back to it in a couple of month to check out its second half.
I can assure you it is as excellent as the first half.
17.12.2021 - 22:24
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Redel on 17.12.2021 at 21:52

Now take a break and come back to it in a couple of month to check out its second half.

Will do! At the moment, I prefer melodic death metal more like Be'lakor's Stone's Reach than this, but we'll see! I've learned that tastes can change a lot in music!
17.12.2021 - 22:39
Redel

Written by F3ynman2000 on 17.12.2021 at 22:24

I've learned that tastes can change a lot in music!

Mine did a lot over all the years. It has taken me several years to fully adore this album e.g.
18.12.2021 - 07:04
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
This album was a grower on me, at first I thought it was ok, but now years later I think it's brilliant, the songs "Emptiness From Which I Fed", "The Gallery", "Lethe", "Punish My Heaven", and "The Dividing Line" are amongst my favourite Dark Tranquillity songs, I also really liked the cover to the Mercyful Fate song "Lady In Black".
18.12.2021 - 07:11
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy

Maybe your opinion will change over time, like mine often does, I noticed your opinion changed with Blackwater Park
11.03.2022 - 09:33
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Redel on 17.12.2021 at 21:52

You have discovered the first half of this masterpiece, great!

Thanks for the advice! I now realize that all of the songs here are amazing! This album is a masterpiece!
03.10.2022 - 11:52
nonZero

My favourite Dark Tranquillity album and easily their most complex musically (they simplified their songwriting a lot after this one, especially guitar-wise).

9.2/10 for me - 'Punish My Heaven' and 'Silence, And The Firmament Withdrew' are the standout tracks IMO. 'The Gallery' and 'Lethe' are both also fantastic. 'The Dividing Line' and 'Midway Through Infinity' are slightly weaker than the others, but there are no bad tracks on this album.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
09.11.2022 - 04:52
Fred_P

This album is harder to get into than their others in my opinion. But "Punish My Heaven", "Edenspring", "The One Brooding Warning" and "Lethe" are absolutely phenomenal tracks. The rest of the tracks are no less than great.
14.03.2023 - 22:16
Rating: 7
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Why did no one tell me this was leagues beyond In Flames and At The Gates, genuiney blown away by this

Hits total: 36662 | This month: 97