Top 20 albums of 2006: 2
Top 200 albums of all time: 40

Additional info
Released through Firebox Records.
Produced by Flemming Rasmussen.

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
Saturnus had been a really important doom/death metal band in the 90s, having a distinctive sound once you had listened to them, but sadly fate seemed to have some other plans instead of letting them become great. They disbanded, but now they are back with a new and strong line-up that can do miracles on stage (you got my word for this!). "Veronika Decides To Die" is the title of their long-awaited third full-length album after a small but very promising tour that hopefully passed from Greece, Athens, and allow me to say that it is a really dynamic and deeply promising come back which places Saturnus back to the throne of withered roses and failed romance they had left behind.

Read more ››
published 21.04.2006 | Comments (18)

Found in 58 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 44   Visited by: 1770 users
18.08.2010 - 22:57
Wayakin
Can't wait for the album in december!!!
07.09.2011 - 01:50
Rating: 10
Metal_4Ever
Masterpiece!
09.05.2012 - 13:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Saturnus weakest
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.05.2012 - 13:07
@gent_-_orange
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.05.2012 at 13:05

Saturnus weakest

I take it this is a band worth getting into then if their weakest warrants an 8. Can I ask you what album would be a good one to start with?
09.05.2012 - 13:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by @gent_-_orange on 09.05.2012 at 13:07

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.05.2012 at 13:05

Saturnus weakest

I take it this is a band worth getting into then if their weakest warrants an 8. Can I ask you what album would be a good one to start with?

This album is a good one to get into them and then work your way back. The overall quality of their albums is extremely consistent. It's just that this one is a bit weaker (for me, but some praise it to death). If you like the Officium Triste type of doom you will certainly enjoy Saturnus as well. They play the same sort of melodic death doom, though Saturnus employs a little more clean vocals.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.05.2012 - 13:18
@gent_-_orange
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.05.2012 at 13:17

This album is a good one to get into them and then work your way back. The overall quality of their albums is extremely consistent. It's just that this one is a bit weaker (for me, but some praise it to death). If you like the Officium Triste type of doom you will certainly enjoy Saturnus as well. They play the same sort of melodic death doom, though Saturnus employs a little more clean vocals.

Thanks
10.07.2012 - 16:34
lord artan
All song are perfect.best doom ever.all song are masterpiece...
Pretend...
Let's pretend well meet again
Pretend you knew me
Pretend you cared...
07.10.2012 - 22:57
Oscarine Wilde
Account deleted
One of the best gothic doom albums ever and Saturnus' best one, too. I've really put a lot of hope in new album.
29.10.2012 - 21:00
Rating: 8
Erik M.
Great album, though Paradise Belongs To You is way better than this. That being said, Martyre is their weakest album in my opinion.
30.10.2012 - 18:01
Erik M.
Written by Guest on 30.10.2012 at 13:19

+1, imo i think its cause they put so many songs, i really liked the 1st 8 songs and had it ended at that id have given it a 10, the rest of the tracks were kinds dragging and boring to me,.

I agree. The short songs weren't very memorable for me... I just don't like short songs I guess. The longer tracks are (obviously) my favourites, but they're not really long like tracks on Paradise Belongs To You and Saturn In Ascension (I've checked the length of the songs). Also, some songs just aren't that great (Thou Art Free, In Your Shining Eyes come to mind).

I'm convinced Saturn In Ascension will at least top Martyre for me, and hopefully Veronica Decides To Die as well.
30.10.2012 - 20:12
Erik M.
Written by Guest on 30.10.2012 at 18:37

really looking to the new one too. I haven't listened to any of the 4 tracks i hear they've played live. I'm really curios to hear how the female vocalist will sound together with them.

I have listened to the new tracks a lot and heard them live as well (Dordrecht Doom Day II), which was awesome. The female vocalist just sings on one track if I'm not mistaken. But trust me, those 4 songs are great.
30.10.2012 - 20:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Erik M. on 30.10.2012 at 20:12

and heard them live as well (Dordrecht Doom Day II), which was awesome.

the new songs were totally great therre, I totally agree
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.10.2012 - 17:47
Erik M.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.10.2012 at 20:42

the new songs were totally great therre, I totally agree

Hehe, unfortunately I missed the last half of Litany Of Rain, because we had to catch our train... I did regret that. Anyway, since that day I was curious if they played one or more other songs after Litany Of Rain. Or did you leave early too?
31.10.2012 - 18:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Erik M. on 31.10.2012 at 17:47

Hehe, unfortunately I missed the last half of Litany Of Rain, because we had to catch our train... I did regret that. Anyway, since that day I was curious if they played one or more other songs after Litany Of Rain. Or did you leave early too?

I can't remember what they played after. I didn't leave early. Stayed for about an hour after the gig finished and took a taxi back home to Utrecht with a friend of mine. We were so drunk that we were afraid that we wouldn't be able to find the Dordrecht train station
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.10.2012 - 18:47
Erik M.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.10.2012 at 18:04

I can't remember what they played after. I didn't leave early. Stayed for about an hour after the gig finished and took a taxi back home to Utrecht with a friend of mine. We were so drunk that we were afraid that we wouldn't be able to find the Dordrecht train station

Hahaha, too bad. Well, if it wasn't for the money I would've taken a taxi as well... finding that damn train station was hell, but I wasn't drunk though (I had to use the navigation on my phone (which was almost empty) to find the train station, and we actually had to run the last few minutes because we got lost a little bit by walking into the wrong street). Overall still worth it, but the travelling that day was a nightmare.
07.02.2014 - 15:12
MehranRe
Can't stop listening!
25.05.2014 - 19:46
Kraterr
Account deleted
Why is Saturnus so good? I seriously can't pick a favorite album of theirs and I've been a fan for more than a year.. Anyways, this is the album with the "cleanest" sound of their discography, make of that what you will, it just doesn't have the gothic influences of their other albums..

What can I say about this album.. Um I'll just pick my favorite songs of the record and rate it: I Long, Descending, Rain Wash Me, All Alone, Embrace The Darkness.. I pretty much love these 5 songs the same, the other songs on the album are also very good but not on level with these 5.

Veronika Decides To Die gets a 9/10 from me, very good album but not the MASTERPIECE I see some fans call this.
20.06.2014 - 17:05
MelancholiaC
Overall this album is probably the most heavily keyboard-laden, and as a keyboardist myself that is naturally a big appeal to me. I think "I Long" may just be my ultimate Saturnus song, which is saying a lot since I have so many favourites from all their albums.

After listening to them A LOT over the last couple of years, Saturn In Ascension is still my personal favourite by these Danes, and one of my favourite albums of all time! Veronika and their debut Paradise Belongs To You both come neck and neck in second though - I still can't decide which!
27.06.2014 - 14:22
Rating: 9
Dr. Strawberry
Infused with a lot of sad blues riffs in doom...this album is a mother-fucker killer !
31.05.2015 - 13:32
sergiod0999
I long
I still long
I long
I long so much away - from me - for me
My sweet nightmare ends

31.05.2015 - 13:36
sergiod0999
Toma mis labios
Béseme dulce
Toma mis sentimientos
Impiderme sentir miedo
Termina Mi dulce pesadilla

22.10.2015 - 15:52
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
17.03.2017 - 02:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Another one, we can discuss weal or strong, but there is a lot of melancholy into it, I enjoy it, basically you can spin it, made for fucked up weather, as this damn sunny spring day, I close a curtans and its dark and listen music. Simply good doom album.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.11.2018 - 12:16
Clemenza88
It Just Beautiful.
06.01.2019 - 22:04
Maasai Mara
Best album by Saturnus. What Blackwater Park fails so hard at trying to be.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
06.01.2019 - 22:11
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Melodic death/doom?
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
07.01.2019 - 01:41
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by Maasai Mara on 06.01.2019 at 22:04

It scares the hell out of me we are sharing identical ratings here. Somewhere, in a parallel universe, I just killed myself. And in some other parallel universe, we are playing in the same Darkthrone cover band.
The Harmonica.
Both of us.

I want to die now.
----
signatures = SPAM
07.01.2019 - 13:30
Maasai Mara
Written by Maco on 06.01.2019 at 22:11

Melodic death/doom?

Atmospheric, melancholic and something you can connect with emotionally; you have put it even better, Opeth were simply fantasizing about melodic death doom when they recorded Blackwater Park.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
07.01.2019 - 13:32
Maasai Mara
Written by Starvynth on 07.01.2019 at 01:41

It scares the hell out of me we are sharing identical ratings here. Somewhere, in a parallel universe, I just killed myself. And in some other parallel universe, we are playing in the same Darkthrone cover band.
The Harmonica.
Both of us.

I want to die now.

perhaps your tastes are not that far from those of the Metal Maasai.
----
07.01.2019 - 15:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

How can you compare this vs oprth
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 37667 | This month: 115