Metal Storm logo
Metalstorm is dead! Killed by fanboys.

Original post

Posted by Vikcen, 25.08.2010 - 12:42
Also antifanboys.

"There are no valid reasons to be discussed about music because it is all subjective. There is no point."

At certain moments sometimes some persons can not understand this.
25.08.2010 - 15:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 25.08.2010 at 15:01
Edit: @AS: Same can be said for the majority of European power metal. I don't really *think* you can say it's so great it's better than everything/almost everything released in 2003... unless we're in some fluffy "whatever you like" utopia... also, ironic, since you do seem to have a taste for mocking Mortician, haha.

How is it ironic? Do you take any notice of anything I say at all? lol When have I ever said its NOT okay to rubbish bands/albums? What Ive consistently said is castigating PEOPLE, and rubbishing their OPINIONS is wrong. So no, its not ironic in the slightest.
25.08.2010 - 15:09
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Angelic Storm on 25.08.2010 at 14:39

@St. Anger: That is just a really pointless arguement which goes nowhere. What's wrong with basic riffs and minimalism? Brutal death/grind is a genre that basically thrives on those attributes. A small amount of bands aside. Punk rock, which is a genre I also enjoy, is very minimalist in its nature. Basic and minimalist doesnt automatically equal "bad". Of course though, thats all down to personal opinion which is the whole point.

Well said one more time. Your are my voice!!
25.08.2010 - 15:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I been here since 2005 something , ok I was stupid when use alcohol more how other thinks in life ... ok but it hepen long ago, old good member gone, new comes, and many goes away so .... kin MSv2 here when I came was many good treads, discussions, I wish I could come at site 2003 something and dont drink so much beck than and didnt make old name
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.08.2010 - 15:11
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by vezzy on 25.08.2010 at 15:01

Written by Vikcen on 25.08.2010 at 14:58

@VezzyRattlehead: It is clear that you hate St Anger .

It is clear that you are a fanb-

Forget it. Even still, it has no actual foundation to it, which makes it sound really plain when it slows down or takes breaks. The lyrics also do nothing but annoy ("Frantic").

Look your problem:

"There are no valid reasons to be discussed about music because it is all subjective. There is no point.

At certain moments sometimes some persons can not understand this."
25.08.2010 - 15:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by vezzy on 25.08.2010 at 15:06

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.08.2010 at 15:01

@ag fox & angelic storm. There IS a report thread function. Just use that and state what you think is wrong the said thread.

Except most bulletin board systems put the report function so you can report individual posters.

problem with that it is enhances abuse. People who have problesm with someone on a personal level will keep on reporting them. With our system there still is little threshold. With the other forums I would have been reported many times just for not agreeing with the fanboys.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.08.2010 - 15:16
vezzy
Stallmanite
Yeah, I bet she is@Vikcen. I'll cut the snide this time.

Well, AS, it's like this:

"Fanboy enters."
"Fanboy starts praising album."
"Guy enters."
"Guy questions fanboy's thoughts and tries to debate/attack while specifying valid/invalid/no points."
"Open-minded person enters and takes down Guy for being a tr00ist in all cases, regardless of and if any points given."

So, if a person says St. Anger is the best of 2003 and blatantly insists it is so through methods such as "you cannot deny it, it kicks ass, it's ABSOLUTELY EPIC"... I actually think there was a case with even more fanboyish reasons in the St. Anger topic, but I'm not gonna dig it up, you can't just stare, you have to respond and state that it isn't the best of its genre, there were better and they have executed in various ways.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
25.08.2010 - 15:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@vikcen stop your "I agree" spams. If you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion then just read and don't post these spam posts.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.08.2010 - 15:22
Vikcen
Metálico
@VezzyRattlehead:

You hate St Anger, it is true, with your words and posts in this thread, you has made it clear that you hate it. What is your problem about this?

Fanboy? why? I said nothing about St Anger in this thread.
25.08.2010 - 15:24
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Vikcen on 25.08.2010 at 15:22

@VezzyRattlehead:

You hate St Anger, it is true, with your words and posts in this thread, you has made it clear that you hate it. What is your problem about this?

You assume hatred automatically means bias. Not really, it's simply more primitive than a lot of other '03 releases.
----
25.08.2010 - 15:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 25.08.2010 at 14:14

Ag Fox: I take it you didnt have the misfortune of seeing the thread on the new "Diminished" album? Even the threads on the latest Maiden and A7X albums, failed to plummet to the depths of that one. Im just glad it was finally closed.

I didnçt have that misfortune either, but for me itçs not misfortune, itçs the perfect way to spend the time in an otherwise boring sunday, just reading stupid comments from stupid people. Then again, I also have not seen anythuing from the latest Iron Maiden and just read a couple of pages from the A7X because well... I just donçt like those bands at all

This is just me speaking here, but the times Ive seen really really bad discussions... I could count them probably with one hand only. Mainly because most doomsters are waaaaaaay to busy being depressive!

But yeah, moderators could go hardcore-mode for a couple of weeks so the bad posts can stop. But Içve seen worse, they are imo very very mild trolls and this is still the best metal forum Ive been on, it takes waaaaay more that just a couple of bad discussions to fuck up the status.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.08.2010 - 15:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by vezzy on 25.08.2010 at 15:24

Written by Vikcen on 25.08.2010 at 15:22

@VezzyRattlehead:

You assume hatred automatically means bias. Not really, it's simply more primitive than a lot of other '03 releases.

being more primitive does not make it worse
badly executed out of tune horrendously produced music lacking ideas behind the music and infantile lyrics when trying to sound profound make it worse
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.08.2010 - 15:37
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.08.2010 at 15:34
being more primitive does not make it worse
badly executed out of tune horrendously produced music lacking ideas behind the music and infantile lyrics when trying to sound profound make it worse

Oh right, dammit.

Yes, plus it lacks even an ordinary atmosphere.
----
25.08.2010 - 15:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@vikcen I deleted your last "yes sir" spam messages. i hope you got the message. And if you qoute me here with another spam message be sure I will take away your posting powers for a week for spamming although being warned not to
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.08.2010 - 15:38
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 25.08.2010 at 15:16

Yeah, I bet she is@Vikcen. I'll cut the snide this time.

Well, AS, it's like this:

"Fanboy enters."
"Fanboy starts praising album."
"Guy enters."
"Guy questions fanboy's thoughts and tries to debate/attack while specifying valid/invalid/no points."
"Open-minded person enters and takes down Guy for being a tr00ist in all cases, regardless of and if any points given."

So, if a person says St. Anger is the best of 2003 and blatantly insists it is so through methods such as "you cannot deny it, it kicks ass, it's ABSOLUTELY EPIC"... I actually think there was a case with even more fanboyish reasons in the St. Anger topic, but I'm not gonna dig it up, you can't just stare, you have to respond and state that it isn't the best of its genre, there were better and they have executed in various ways.

No, it's not like that, at least not with you. You expect people to respect your opinions, when you have absolutely no respect for people's opinions that are different from yours. Sorry, but your opinions/views on metal are no less facts, or beyond reproach than anyone else's. Yet you behave as if they are.
25.08.2010 - 15:39
vezzy
Stallmanite
Well, Vikcen, you're screwed.

Respect? No, I don't think I want them to be, just heard. I simply can't accept something that is extremely stripped down, generic, lacks flow, atmosphere or whatever at all (for example, Killing Peace has a lot of vigor but ends up nowhere far) to be considered especially great or notable when that isn't the case.
----
25.08.2010 - 15:39
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Damn, you two just need to make out already
25.08.2010 - 15:41
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Dangerboner on 25.08.2010 at 15:39

Damn, you two just need to make out already

Who?
----
25.08.2010 - 15:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Vikcen on 25.08.2010 at 15:38

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.08.2010 at 15:22

@vikcen stop your "I agree" spams. If you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion then just read and don't post these spam posts.

Yes sir!

I did warn you. So have fun in non_posting limbo. Allbeit 1 day instead of 7 cause I am a nice guy and your offense doesn't warrant really heavy punishment.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.08.2010 - 15:53
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 25.08.2010 at 15:39
Respect? No, I don't think I want them to be, just heard. I simply can't accept something that is extremely stripped down, generic, lacks flow, atmosphere or whatever at all (for example, Killing Peace has a lot of vigor but ends up nowhere far) to be considered especially great or notable when that isn't the case.

Nobody is expecting you to accept anything. All those things you are stating are your opinion only, they are not facts. If people think its especially great, isnt that their right? People should be allowed to like any album they want to without being given the 3rd degree and ridiculed for it.

@Dangerboner:
25.08.2010 - 15:58
vezzy
Stallmanite
Depends on how you word it. If it's "I like this album" with a score of 9 or 10... might let him be. If it's "I like this album, [explanation why]", I WILL let him be. However, if the explanation happens to be throwing around random praise and to a degree, ignorance, I'll confront it.

Also, there are some albums which even more "underground" metalheads seem to like that I really can't figure out why. I step in there too, but like I said, it depends on how you word and express yourself which will affect if I respond normally or with snide.
----
25.08.2010 - 16:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 25.08.2010 at 15:58

Depends on how you word it. If it's "I like this album" with a score of 9 or 10... might let him be. If it's "I like this album, [explanation why]", I WILL let him be. However, if the explanation happens to be throwing around random praise and to a degree, ignorance, I'll confront it.

Also, there are some albums which even more "underground" metalheads seem to like that I really can't figure out why. I step in there too, but like I said, it depends on how you word and express yourself which will affect if I respond normally or with snide.

That isnt true. You have accused me of being a blind fangirl, merely for being positive about albums you dont like. Besides, I'm sure there's lots of albums that you like that would have some metalheads scratching their heads, and wondering how on earth you could like it. Their opinions are just as valid as yours. There's many albums I like that other's dont, and thats absolutely fine, because it all comes down to personal taste. I dont get why some people just cant seem to get their heads around this simple fact.
25.08.2010 - 16:41
vezzy
Stallmanite
Well, I was kind of shocked by how positive you felt about Demonic and The Gathering. Mostly because they simply are sub-par in the area they try to be a part of (death metal). Just another pointless addition, coupled with totally departing from their thrash metal roots, which although not necessarily a bad thing, comes off as an extra blow to the average/below average music.

Fairly certain there are. Anyone can say it, but there has to be a reason to their conclusion (general distaste of the genre counts too). Personal taste is one thing (I for one, like the cheesiness of Alestorm for some reason) and have no problem with people liking Metallica, Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, etc. (never heard Korpiklaani or Ensiferum, so I can't judge anyway), but I am a bit annoyed by the orthodox metal attitude of some around here. (people who only seem to be aware of the Big Four)

I've seen many comments along the lines of: "[BAND] FUCKING RULES! AWESOME ALBUM! CAN'T WAIT! ". I generally disregard those, but when people decide to take another step with their extreme fondness of some album (don't get me started on how some people contort the meaning of open-mindedness or like it just to be rebellious), of course I'll respond.

You can always like your bands and genres, but when you decide to inflate it to a mad degree on a weaker album, like I said... you'll get a response.
----
25.08.2010 - 17:20
wrathchild
Staff
Hum, didn't realize before but this thread should be moved to General Website Discussion
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
25.08.2010 - 17:25
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Positive feelings towards an album that most people do not like or you loathe does not warrant a bashing, especially in AS's case where she states why it's good/bad

if we all agree upon everything or even most things, life would be exceedingly boring (=

@Marcel
thanks for the heads up
----
loves 小巫
25.08.2010 - 18:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ok I read all post , and I have quasten about metal arena, rules say before open poll, tread give detailed explanation
leithly I have seen polls where you need vote and opening post is like one sentence, and its open, reports rejected? othertime its acepted, why why sometimes its rejected, sometimes accepted?
----

apos;'
[image]
25.08.2010 - 18:26
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ag Fox on 25.08.2010 at 17:25

Positive feelings towards an album that most people do not like or you loathe does not warrant a bashing, especially in AS's case where she states why it's good/bad

if we all agree upon everything or even most things, life would be exceedingly boring (=

Couldn't agree more.
25.08.2010 - 18:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ag Fox on 25.08.2010 at 13:57

Well... I haven't registered for very long, but I've seen fanboys around here from day 1, but it hasn't really stopped me from discovering lots of great music. Here's how I did it:

1) Tarja VS Anette? Ignore
2) New Iron Maiden? Don't even look at the discussion because I already know what to expect
3) Metallica and Megadeth? many arguments there are pointless because so much are established facts already. can't even be bothered to participate XD

Well I agree whit it, true years I lil lost interests in SB, forums, I follow regulary, but dont post so much, its not pointless say anything, specely about Tarja sv Anette , its pointless, nobody will change my metal taste, thoughts and my fav bands and thoughts about music, I dont care I like The Cure, I hate new metallica, I like 80's Sepultura, I dont like new albums, so wat? Someone dont like it , not my problems.
Better ignore it less problems, I read most posts and discussions but trry not repeat anymore, its like you dont like someones lip stick coulor or after shaving cream... you wont go and thay to pll thay sucks, online all are brave ,

[the cure]
I don't care if Monday's blue
Tuesday's gray and Wednesday too
Thursday I don't care about you
It's Friday, I'm in love
[/the cure]
----

apos;'
[image]
25.08.2010 - 18:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Bad English on 25.08.2010 at 18:34
[the cure]
I don't care if Monday's blue
Tuesday's gray and Wednesday too
Thursday I don't care about you
It's Friday, I'm in love
[/the cure]

"Friday, I'm In Love" is a great song. xD

Yep, it's pointless getting into those types of arguements. They never go anywhere, just round in circles.
25.08.2010 - 19:59
Derwood
My solution to the fanboy problem is to ignore them. I state my opinions and reason for them. If someone challenges me on my reasoning, I'll respond civilly. If they just give me a "You're an idiot!" type response, I ignore it. They usually try once or twice to goad me, but once it's clear I'm not taking the bait, they ignore me as well. I'm not claiming to be completely innocent, though.

It's like the scene in Roadhouse where Dalton is instructing the bouncers at the Double Deuce:

Bouncer: "Someone calls you a cocksucker, that's not personal?"
Dalton: "No, it's two nouns combined to illicit a prescribed response."

That's the thing about trolls, if you don't feed them, they tend to go away. Masturbating isn't nearly as fun as consensual sex.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
25.08.2010 - 20:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Derwood on 25.08.2010 at 19:59

My solution to the fanboy problem is to ignore them. I state my opinions and reason for them. If someone challenges me on my reasoning, I'll respond civilly. If they just give me a "You're an idiot!" type response, I ignore it. They usually try once or twice to goad me, but once it's clear I'm not taking the bait, they ignore me as well. I'm not claiming to be completely innocent, though.

It's like the scene in Roadhouse where Dalton is instructing the bouncers at the Double Deuce:

Bouncer: "Someone calls you a cocksucker, that's not personal?"
Dalton: "No, it's two nouns combined to illicit a prescribed response."

That's the thing about trolls, if you don't feed them, they tend to go away. Masturbating isn't nearly as fun as consensual sex.

This is my problem I guess. When Im goaded or "baited", I usually foolishly respond to it, and try and reason with them. Instead of ignoring it, which is what I should do. I always state my opinions, and reasons for them, and state I disagree with someone if need be. But it never descends to the level of personal bashing. And I think this is the thing which should not be tolerated.