Metal Storm logo
Haken

28.08.2010 - 19:04
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I am very surprised not one of the "progheads" here have mentioned the debut release "Aquarius" from London based Haken. Of course their music uses the typical "prog" recipe that many others have copied - but so what - if it works, it works! They sound alot like To-Mera and Riverside...yeay!!!

Check out their link for some sample music!

http://www.myspace.com/hakenmusic
----
rekt
30.08.2010 - 10:57
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Yeah, great debut. It also reminded me of To-Mera at times (two To-Mera members play on this record), but more of Dream Theater, and sometimes Unexpect (if I remember this band well enough). Dologan mentioned them first in the Metalstorm 2010 suggestions thread; that's how I found out about them.

I haven't got fully into the album, but it's sure a great record worth checking out. Great music, skilled musicians. The part in the middle of "The Point of no Return" with guitar/synth/bass solos will blow your mind!

P.S. Don't forget to vote for the them at the Suggestions page
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
31.08.2010 - 06:10
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by K✞ulu on 30.08.2010 at 10:57

Yeah, great debut. It also reminded me of To-Mera at times (two To-Mera members play on this record), but more of Dream Theater, and sometimes Unexpect (if I remember this band well enough). Dologan mentioned them first in the Metalstorm 2010 suggestions thread; that's how I found out about them.

I haven't got fully into the album, but it's sure a great record worth checking out. Great music, skilled musicians. The part in the middle of "The Point of no Return" with guitar/synth/bass solos will blow your mind!

P.S. Don't forget to vote for the them at the Suggestions page

Hey, long time no see Ktulu! I know I can count on you to back me up on my musical tastes! Aquarius is really good stuff. I'll need 4-5 more thorough listens to soak it all in! BTW, love your avatar!! (check out my profile and only metal list if you haven't already!)
----
rekt
31.08.2010 - 06:18
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I have listened to this but I was unimpressed; maybe i should give it one more chance in the future.
03.09.2010 - 20:00
ADM1LK
Another potentially good band ruined by another terrible vocalist...
----
I hate metal.
04.09.2010 - 01:45
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Definitely a decent band...kinda neo here and there....impressive musicianship...I don't like the vocals all that much...still a decent band with a lot of potential...
04.09.2010 - 10:05
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I took me less than I thought it would to absolutely fall in love with Aquarius.

Bad vocals? I don't get it... Do you mean like James LaBrie bad?

I love the vocalist. I also wonder whether he is the one who does growls as well because they are really impressive.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

06.09.2010 - 02:17
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
James Labrie is a bad vocalist? You cannot compare this dude to Labrie...
06.09.2010 - 12:16
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 06.09.2010 at 02:17

James Labrie is a bad vocalist? You cannot compare this dude to Labrie...

LaBrie often gets annoying; this guy doesn't, although he is a bit similar to LaBrie.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

29.09.2010 - 02:51
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I rediscovered this band in the last few weeks and am surprised about how I like them a lot more now than I recently did...
01.10.2010 - 03:34
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
The musicianship is off the charts, the production of the record is flawless, here's to hoping to see them in Atlanta in '11
----
rekt
01.10.2010 - 03:38
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Oh fuck man, if they EVER were in Atlanta...I would for sure make it a point to get down there from Canada to see them! I seriously cannot stop listening to their debut album!
01.10.2010 - 03:55
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Guest on 01.10.2010 at 03:38

Oh fuck man, if they EVER were in Atlanta...I would for sure make it a point to get down there from Canada to see them! I seriously cannot stop listening to their debut album!

They are coming to Atlanta - the ProgPower tour, news was posted a few days ago...check it out!
----
rekt
01.10.2010 - 06:01
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Looks like I'm gonna be in Atlanta in 2011 to see Haken...not a difficult feat for me...already gonna be in Savannah in November this year...
07.10.2010 - 19:40
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Grew on me significantly today (third spin overall), but still a lot to digest. Kinda expected it anyway because of the To-Mera influences. Definitely one of the standout prog albums this year (while Enslaved is grabbing all the headlines)
----
loves 小巫
09.10.2010 - 19:57
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Ag Fox on 07.10.2010 at 19:40

Grew on me significantly today (third spin overall), but still a lot to digest. Kinda expected it anyway because of the To-Mera influences. Definitely one of the standout prog albums this year (while Enslaved is grabbing all the headlines)

I agree with you on the "digesting" part. The musicianship is almost "overthetop", but the songs flow really well so it more than enough makes up for it!
----
rekt
16.10.2010 - 00:14
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Dug this up on gaytube...check it out...sounds just like the album! Impressive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tagv2IX1lNc&feature=related
----
rekt
17.10.2010 - 12:04
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by tea[m]ster on 16.10.2010 at 00:14

Dug this up on gaytube...check it out...sounds just like the album! Impressive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tagv2IX1lNc&feature=related

Well, the sound could be better, and the singer needs to work on his clean singing, which is glorious on the album but no so good live. Otherwise they sound pretty solid.

The crowd were just standing and not rocking on anything, with "Drowning in the Flood" being so heavy.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

20.10.2010 - 05:15
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
They are such a tight band live! The vocalist is a crazy man, eh? His vocals are great in places and lacking in other places but he puts on a great performance! This frontman really delivers!
28.11.2010 - 09:55
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Check this out, Haken lovers: http://www.powerplaymagazine.co.uk/haken-interview.html

Spoiler: we might be looking at another album next year!
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

28.11.2010 - 11:25
vex_sparks
I was just listening to this album today, its simply brilliant, i love the lead work and the dynamic arrangements, truly brilliant stuff!
28.11.2010 - 12:29
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I'm gonna have to listen to them at some point. I'm curious.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.12.2010 - 18:01
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Another album next year after this ambious outting in 2010? That's so awesome...I can't wait for another lengthy album from Haken...
13.12.2010 - 06:35
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
I just picked up the album today Outside of the vocals being hit or miss for me, real nice music.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
21.07.2011 - 18:19
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
New album details announced! http://www.hakenmusic.com/nouveautes_en.htm.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

08.08.2011 - 09:06
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
A seventy-one-minute long album. The longest song on Aquarius was almost 17 minutes. Here we have a 22-minute long one. Let's hope it's good.

Premonition - 4:10
Nocturnal Conspiracy - 13:08
Insomnia - 6:06
The Mind's Eye - 4:05
Portals - 5:27
Shapeshifter - 8:08
Deathless - 8:04
Visions - 22:25

By the way, what does everyone think of the cover art? I don't like to tell you the truth: that eye looks a bit gross to me...

----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

08.08.2011 - 09:33
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Yeah that cover isn't very.. uh.. pleasing to the eye
Hope that's no indication of the quality of the music.
12.08.2011 - 04:48
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yeah...new Haken album is gonna kick ass...
17.08.2011 - 01:19
strade
I liked Aquarius, so I'll be eager to see where the band goes next.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com