Metal Storm logo
Bands you like, but are ashamed of it

Original post

Posted by tuerda, 25.08.2006 - 05:26
So yeah, I'm sure this happens to a lot of people. There is some band that you shouldn't like. There is something wrong with it. You might even think that it's bad . . . But you love it! You nod along to the music and can't help but sing along if you know the lyrics. You love it, and you hate the fact that you love it. So yeah, does this happen to anyone else, and if so, with what bands?

For me, the most obvious one is Rhapsody. They are really really cheesy, and all of their songs sound more or less the same to me. I feel it is all charged with vacuous optimism, and the lyrics are terrible. But yes, I like them. Please don't tell anyone.

Also, I like Bal Sagoth. They are pretty much the cheesiest band on earth, and it is precisely the cheesiness that makes me love them so. The "dark" vocals are anything but creepy and all of the "symphonics" sound fake. It's so bad that it's good!

There are some Emperor songs that I like. I have moral issues with liking Emperor. The black metal act is sometimes interesting, and often funny as hell. I approve of it . . . but only so long as it is an act. Church burning is not cool. Neither is killing people.
08.09.2006 - 08:15
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by ?Bodomchild? on 07.09.2006 at 09:24

Well im not ashamed but a lot of my friends says that im crazy cuz i heard a lot Pennywise and Ska-P ....well yes they aren't a metal bands but Pennywise is a great band, i have only one album its call Full Circle and its amazing the speed of that band...especeally the drummer, also the lyrics (some of them) are great and Ska-P well the name say is its a ska band from Spain and they are really great and i like it a lot.....that are the non-metal bands ho im supossed to be ashamed but im really not......cuz if i heard some Slipknot that will be a shame

So there's no a metal band ho makes me ashamed to listen it...i wouldn't listen any si¡ong of it

Dude, there's nothing wrong with Pennywise. They're a great punk band.
08.09.2006 - 08:50
?Bodomchild?
Written by Dangerboner on 08.09.2006 at 08:15

Written by ?Bodomchild? on 07.09.2006 at 09:24

Well im not ashamed but a lot of my friends says that im crazy cuz i heard a lot Pennywise and Ska-P ....well yes they aren't a metal bands but Pennywise is a great band, i have only one album its call Full Circle and its amazing the speed of that band...especeally the drummer, also the lyrics (some of them) are great and Ska-P well the name say is its a ska band from Spain and they are really great and i like it a lot.....that are the non-metal bands ho im supossed to be ashamed but im really not......cuz if i heard some Slipknot that will be a shame

So there's no a metal band ho makes me ashamed to listen it...i wouldn't listen any si¡ong of it

Dude, there's nothing wrong with Pennywise. They're a great punk band.

That's rigth for shure dude
----
asd
08.09.2006 - 18:50
Judas
The Amputator
I'm a closet fan of some really non-Metal stuff. I'm proud to like Metal, Classical, Folk, Jazz, Blues and Indian (Classical and Folk) music, but I do like a few bits of Electronic Dance and Techno here and there (Crystal Method, Daft Punk, Kraftwerk, Massive Attack etc) not to mention a copious amount of Glam/Hair (Kiss, Bon Jovi, Poison, Alice Cooper, Europe, Whitesnake, Van Halen etc etc). You lot might hate me for this one, but I don't mind some Hip-Hop either (Run-D.M.C. and Public Enemy are still 2 of my all-time favourites). Some Punk is cool, like Bad Religion, Thought Riot and Rise Against, but I only listen to that when one of my friends is around. As for today's mainstream stuff, I can listen to System Of A Down, Evanescence (well they're sort of metally anyway), Green Day (don't hate me!), and Britney Spears (just kidding). But that list must never leave this thread!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
08.09.2006 - 18:59
Valar
IndianSteel
Anyone Listens To Michael Jackson..... Dont Kill Me But I like his albums like Thriller, Bad, History.
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
09.09.2006 - 03:23
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
..lol ahh... these threads turn people into total fluff-wands. It's one thing to admit to likeing some thing that is only frowned slightly upon, it is another to proclaim an indearing love for an "artist" that is nothing short of pure sickening because it's so fully injected with joy and mainstream ideology. Not pointed at any one individual but that is the sum of this thread so far.
09.09.2006 - 12:29
Revenant
Account deleted
Micheal Jackson is the most stupid, but I'm not really ashamed.
09.09.2006 - 20:58
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I'm not ashamed of anything. Why would I be?

I'm not ashamed of being myself and liking music that is not close to metal is a part of me. So yea, I listen to Duran Duran and Madonno and stuff like that. I listen to the all so hated nu metal, punk, rock, bands that most would call commerical or whatever, but so what if I enjoy it, I enjoy it, no limits here.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
09.09.2006 - 22:05
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by Valar on 08.09.2006 at 18:59

Anyone Listens To Michael Jackson..... Dont Kill Me But I like his albums like Thriller, Bad, History.

He actually has great vocal skill......But yeah i can see why you're ashamed
09.09.2006 - 22:05
enixtm
I'm not far from my begginings in listening to metal..it's just been a few years.. so i can still nod to linkin park, papa roach, korn..you know..but the only band of that type that i still love is P.O.D. Kind of ashamed only if I would be talking to true metalheads that hate this kind of bands, you know..
----
How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Huh?
08.10.2006 - 00:53
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
please nobody laugh at me.......
I love t.A.T.u. these 2 girls are wonderful.........
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
08.10.2006 - 12:10
Necronomicon
Account deleted
im not ashamed of it but i listen to electronic music sometimes... like Daft Punk and Kraftwerk
08.10.2006 - 18:27
Revenant
Account deleted
Written by [user id=735] on 04.09.2006 at 23:52

Disturbed
Prince
The Goo Goo Dolls
Evanescence
Nightwish
Lacuna Coil

I have to say that despite the fact I like these bands, I'm definately ashamed at times but I'd never deny it. Music isn't who you are, it's something to be enjoyed. If I enjoy bands that aren't "true" metal than that doesn't change who I am or how people should regard me.

Nightwish is 100% symphonic/power metal, so unless you think power metal carries the same stigma as mallcore they shouldn't be on that list
08.10.2006 - 19:43
Basso
Account deleted
Written by [user id=16496] on 08.10.2006 at 12:10

im not ashamed of it but i listen to electronic music sometimes... like Daft Punk and Kraftwerk

Daft Punk and Kraftwerk is amazing. So is Royksopp (cant spell it). But ofc im not ashamed of what I listen to ? I cant really think of any reason at all to be ashamed of what u like....
08.10.2006 - 21:33
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Obviously some here seem to think liking Teräsbetoni or The Darkness is a bad thing, but I'm not ashamed of liking them at all. But I have skeletons in my closet, too... Please don't kill me, but regardless that many people laugh at me and look like they're gonna puke when I mention this, I like The Rasmus. I mean the older cd's from the time they weren't so mainstream outside Finland. The energy and happiness they seemed to have was wonderful and the gigs were awesome. But their new material is just pure crap as all the energy and funky elements are gone.
----
You'll never walk alone.
10.10.2006 - 17:43
Hyvaarin
Written by Judas on 08.09.2006 at 18:50

I'm a closet fan of some really non-Metal stuff. I'm proud to like Metal, Classical, Folk, Jazz, Blues and Indian (Classical and Folk) music, but I do like a few bits of Electronic Dance and Techno here and there (Crystal Method, Daft Punk, Kraftwerk, Massive Attack etc)...

FAG!

I suppose the closest thing to a guilty pleasure I have is Eurovision-style pop, which seems to be regarded by pretty much everyone as utter crap. Oh, and while I'm not a fan of listening to rap, I really, really love rap battling at parties. Now THAT is a guilty pleasure.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
10.10.2006 - 23:37
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
alot of the bands i like i'm not really ashamed of...its more.. the people i associate within the Metal or hardcore Punk scene are taken back when i tell them i listen to the following....

Bjork
Postal Service
Pinback
Benfolds
Radiohead
Mogwai
Joy Division
My Bloody Valentine
Oasis
Bright Eyes
Modest Mouse
Piebald
......just a few examples
11.10.2006 - 05:45
FECAL_FEAST
Account deleted
Reo Speedwagon
Cheap Trick
Van Halen
Loverboy

As for embarassing metal I secretly enjoy...
Nightwish
a tiny bit of early CoB
Agathodaimon

I feel so much better now.
12.10.2006 - 07:20
Xaphiris
Poets Of The Fall

Used to lsten to [and probably wouldn't mind hearing them again]: Dr. Dre, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, X-zibit

I ask the moderators, if anybody posts Tokio Hotel, fuck'em up on sight!
----
12.10.2006 - 12:27
Eight
Shapeshifter
Backstreet Boys
No actually there isn't such a band for meh to be ashamed of.
PS how can i be ashamed of good music?
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
12.10.2006 - 17:31
iaberis
Advice Troll
I like Village People!
----
Bitch! Please
29.10.2006 - 15:16
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Xaphiris on 12.10.2006 at 07:20

Poets Of The Fall

They are one of my favorite bands, and I certainly am not ashamed of it. In fact, I'm not ashamed of listening to anything - I've long since passed the 'tr00 metalhead' period I will proudly tell everyone that I used to listen to (and still do from time to time) such 'inappropriate' bands as Alphaville, Bryan Adams, Europe, Negative, HIM, Goo Goo Dolls, Sandra and many others.
31.10.2006 - 01:39
Gothya
well I guess bon jovi, it was one of the first rock bands I listened to; I like to hear some of his songs once in a while, but I'm ashamed of him 'cause sometimes I think bon jovi is soo damn pop and I hate that, and I cant stand this band; other times I find myself listening to his music; however I hate his music most of the times, kinda weird but it happens... People say when you hate something the most it's because you love or like it; I don't know I still can find that love anywhere, I hate some bands/styles/genres since long time ago and it hasn't changed so far...
I guess I haven't passed that 'tr00 metalhead period' that ivan mention !!!!! and to be honest I see that so long to happen
----
OUR HEART MAKES THE PLANS,BUT IT IS THE LORD WHOM DIRECTS OUR STEPS
01.11.2006 - 05:44
MUSIC?
Account deleted
Well, you can name any nu metal band and I probably like them (But not Kittie. I've already established that fact.) That I'm not ashamed of.

It's my closet love of emo music that I dread telling people about. Bullet For My Valentine, The Used and My Chemical Romance toping the list. I love it. Every time I listen to "I'm a Fake" I just got to scream along . . .

On a positive note, My Chemical Romance's new album is STUNNING.
03.11.2006 - 19:39
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Alanis Morissette is my secret. And im actually not ashamed of it, she got me into rock and then some alternative concepts of music. I prefered the first 3 cds. I still can here it today although I havent for a long time.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
06.12.2006 - 14:11
TLZ
Account deleted
Why the fuck should I be ashamed of what I listen to?
I did before, but I've realized how stupid it was.

I listen to the following. I'm not ashamed over them, but a good deal of metalheads probably think I should be. (And a fuck you to them)
Safri Duo
Leftfield
Lacuna Coil
The Cardigans
Björk
System of a Down
Slipknot
Michael Jackson
06.12.2006 - 14:14
TLZ
Account deleted
Written by tuerda on 25.08.2006 at 05:26
There are some Emperor songs that I like. I have moral issues with liking Emperor. The black metal act is sometimes interesting, and often funny as hell. I approve of it . . . but only so long as it is an act. Church burning is not cool. Neither is killing people.

Some of their members has done som crazy shit, but their core member(composer) Ihsahn has never done anything like that. He said that burning down churches and killing people was the wrong way to remove christianity.
06.12.2006 - 17:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
@TLZ: Nothing wrong with Lacuna Coil, and I don't think that there are a lot metalheadz who think that you should be ashamed of liking them.
----
07.12.2006 - 23:34
Vipera
Account deleted
Sometimes I can enjoy a non-metal song and I'm not ashamed to say it Although, all of the non metal stuff I happen to like is like 20 years old, I don't like any of the new mainstream stuff.
Plus, if I listen to something it doesn't mean I like it. For example, I play the song "Don't worry, be happy" every now and then. And it actually makes me smile, even though I don't like the music.
07.12.2006 - 23:38
Warman
Erotic Stains
There are a lot who post in this thread and say that they like a certain band but are not ahsamed of it, seems kinda pointless.
----
08.12.2006 - 05:53
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
I dont think you should be Ashamed of a band if you like them enough, but im sure everyone tries to hide one band from their other metal friends or anyone Metal, i guess for me it would be Dimmu Borgir (New) it really goes against everything, becuase i listen to stuff like Nokturnal Mortum, Satanic Warmaster, Beherit, Emperor, Mayhem, Burzum and liking New Dimmu just breaks the rule of that, i know it sounds like Cradle of Filth, but its just i dunno the keyboards and vocals and riffs are better, so i guess that would be not a band but one thing i am ashamed of.