Metal Storm logo
Bands you like, but are ashamed of it

Original post

Posted by tuerda, 25.08.2006 - 05:26
So yeah, I'm sure this happens to a lot of people. There is some band that you shouldn't like. There is something wrong with it. You might even think that it's bad . . . But you love it! You nod along to the music and can't help but sing along if you know the lyrics. You love it, and you hate the fact that you love it. So yeah, does this happen to anyone else, and if so, with what bands?

For me, the most obvious one is Rhapsody. They are really really cheesy, and all of their songs sound more or less the same to me. I feel it is all charged with vacuous optimism, and the lyrics are terrible. But yes, I like them. Please don't tell anyone.

Also, I like Bal Sagoth. They are pretty much the cheesiest band on earth, and it is precisely the cheesiness that makes me love them so. The "dark" vocals are anything but creepy and all of the "symphonics" sound fake. It's so bad that it's good!

There are some Emperor songs that I like. I have moral issues with liking Emperor. The black metal act is sometimes interesting, and often funny as hell. I approve of it . . . but only so long as it is an act. Church burning is not cool. Neither is killing people.
09.04.2007 - 20:10
Danny Thomas
Written by Hyvaarin on 21.03.2007 at 12:33

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I dig a few Panic! At the Disco songs. They're annoying and whiny, but they're still fun and really catchy.

hmmm that is shameful lol. i think you will be able to slide on this 1 as long as you also don't listen to fallout boy : P
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
10.04.2007 - 15:50
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
You really shouldn't be ashamed if you like a certain band...if you like a band, you should just listen to it publicly with your friends and if they say anything, just tell them to fuck off and except it because I'm sure that your friends would be living contradictions to their accusations...I know I used to accuse a lot of people in the past for listening to certain things (especially emo) but just because we're metal doesn't mean that we can sit there and accuse everyone else who religiously listens and praises music that isn't metal...even those within our realm that listen to certain bands that are of a poppish element that sit outside the border of metal that we enjoy...I'm sick and tired of people thinking that I think that I'm so much better than them...
13.04.2007 - 19:03
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 22.03.2007 at 00:48

I actually enjoy Megadeths 'Risk' alot, it seems thats an album that everyone is supposed to hate but I cant quite figure out why.

FINALLY I see someone who likes Megadeth's Risk! I'm very fond of this album as well. Never been ashamed of it; or of listening and enjoying any singer/musician/band/album everyone else disapproves or hates:thumbup:.
13.04.2007 - 20:15
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I'm starting to become really ashamed ov Children Of Bodom! They are such douchebags [especially Alexi Laiho!] and their new material IS NOT GOOD MUSIC, IT IS ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!! plus so many chumps and meatheads love it . But their "Follow The Reaper" album is like one ov the alltime best albums I've ever heard, making them one ov my top favourite bands some ov their other early material is great too......But just the fact that I am a fan ov this band, makes me hang my head in shame! I really really wish that "Follow The Reaper" wasn't so dreadfully good! Cuz I hate these guys alot lol.
14.04.2007 - 00:00
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=160] on 13.04.2007 at 20:15

I'm starting to become really ashamed ov Children Of Bodom! They are such douchebags [especially Alexi Laiho!] and their new material IS NOT GOOD MUSIC, IT IS ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!! plus so many chumps and meatheads love it . But their "Follow The Reaper" album is like one ov the alltime best albums I've ever heard, making them one ov my top favourite bands some ov their other early material is great too......But just the fact that I am a fan ov this band, makes me hang my head in shame! I really really wish that "Follow The Reaper" wasn't so dreadfully good! Cuz I hate these guys alot lol.

Yeah I feel the same way a bit, I dont hate the band, but I hate Bodom fans, seriously, im not sure if its just over here in north america, but the majority of Bodoms fan base has become 13 year old laiho-worshippin' emo kids, and I really dont want to be associated with them.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.04.2007 - 17:34
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by [user id=22279] on 22.03.2007 at 05:41

Well these days Metallica is a dirty word especially on Metal forums but Im not ashamed for saying that their my favourite band

I agree that St.Anger was a real shit but early Metallica's stuff was great and i don't see why should you be ashamed of listening Metallica.
30.04.2007 - 08:55
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
apparently Im supposed to be ashamed of liking DevilDriver just because they have former members from Coal Chamber (who I admit were pretty bad). I guess I used to have this closed minded opinion about DevilDriver until I saw them live, that brings a new appreciation for them.
----
- George Carlin
04.05.2007 - 04:15
Inlé
I like the theme song to The Raccoons (anyone remember that cartoon?) "Run With Us" by Lisa Lougheed. So many Saturday morning memories... ahaha

Select System of a down songs (Holy Mountains, Sugar, Forest, A.D.D, Highway Song)

And whatever people say about them I like Dragonforce, Valley and Sonic Firestorm mainly...

... That's about it really, talk about guilty pleasures. I think the first one wins though...
08.06.2007 - 06:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Inlé on 04.05.2007 at 04:15

And whatever people say about them I like Dragonforce, Valley and Sonic Firestorm mainly...

I never found anything wrong with Dragonforce, I mean, they do get annoying after a while but I own all there albums and listen to them frequently. I just heard they sucked live.
----
- George Carlin
15.06.2007 - 01:49
Stigmatized
Written by Doc G. on 30.04.2007 at 08:55

apparently Im supposed to be ashamed of liking DevilDriver just because they have former members from Coal Chamber (who I admit were pretty bad). I guess I used to have this closed minded opinion about DevilDriver until I saw them live, that brings a new appreciation for them.

I like Devildriver on CD, and I bet they're great live. No reason to be ashamed of them.
15.06.2007 - 02:04
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Stigmatized on 15.06.2007 at 01:49

Written by Doc G. on 30.04.2007 at 08:55

I like Devildriver on CD, and I bet they're great live. No reason to be ashamed of them.

Believe me, Devildriver on CD doesnt even compare to them live.
----
- George Carlin
15.06.2007 - 05:43
selken
Irreligious
I like Malice Mizer, a Gothic ROCK band from japan, some anime music and some regional folk music, I'm not ashamed for that but I didn't find another thread to post this, because if you find what Malice Mizer is, you were going to punch me....
----
16.06.2007 - 12:14
Zanovich
Account deleted
I'm not ashamed of it per say, but I usually refrain from expressing my love for My Chemical Romance. It mostly gets me angry looks.
18.06.2007 - 10:44
Sunioj
Umm...Im not too ashamed, but I really like Yargus Delarus. My dad would play this music 24/7 and it just sorta embedded in my mind and now I like Yargus, especially the live album done with the Jerusalem philharmonic orchestra, thats a majestic album...
18.06.2007 - 14:15
iaberis
Advice Troll
I'm not ashamed at all of what I'm listening to. I listen to what I want and what I like. I have no reason to be ashamed of it and neither should you all... Why should someone be ashamed of something he likes (being gay and liking men is exception)? I may listen to metal and I also may listen to Shakira and I'm not ashamed to say that when being in a company of metalheads. If you have self esteem, you support your ideas and choices; you don't have to listen and believe what the other "true" and "genius" guys listen to...
----
Bitch! Please
28.06.2007 - 04:38
Mockingbird622
Account deleted
secretly i listen to the cure...and i dont know why.
28.06.2007 - 06:41
Phase
Account deleted
The Cure are fun.

Im proud of everything that I listen to, of course. But some odd bands that I like include TV on the Radio, Red Hot Chilli Peppers (not old works), Bright Eyes, Cranberries... SlipknoT. Maybe not globaly loved, but I love their energy and all.
~
29.06.2007 - 22:35
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by [user id=17278] on 13.04.2007 at 19:03

Written by Doc G. on 22.03.2007 at 00:48

I actually enjoy Megadeths 'Risk' alot, it seems thats an album that everyone is supposed to hate but I cant quite figure out why.

FINALLY I see someone who likes Megadeth's Risk! I'm very fond of this album as well. Never been ashamed of it; or of listening and enjoying any singer/musician/band/album everyone else disapproves or hates:thumbup:.

Ahh, I like it too. And why shouldn't I? It's a catchy one!
----
30.06.2007 - 22:42
Deus Ex Machina
Written by selken on 15.06.2007 at 05:43

I like Malice Mizer, a Gothic ROCK band from japan, some anime music and some regional folk music, I'm not ashamed for that but I didn't find another thread to post this, because if you find what Malice Mizer is, you were going to punch me....

Oh plz.
Firstly,this isn't a forum where narrow minded idiots reside.
Don't be narrow minded yourself.
That sentence just sounded so stupid " because if you find what Malice Mizer is, you were going to punch me...."
Seriously,stop saying stupid things like that.
You're not a child.
Most of these people know who Malice Mizer are anyway.
And in the end....no one should be ashamed of liking JRock bands.
01.07.2007 - 07:33
selken
Irreligious
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 30.06.2007 at 22:42

Written by selken on 15.06.2007 at 05:43

Oh plz.
Firstly,this isn't a forum where narrow minded idiots reside.
Don't be narrow minded yourself.
That sentence just sounded so stupid " because if you find what Malice Mizer is, you were going to punch me...."
Seriously,stop saying stupid things like that.
You're not a child.
Most of these people know who Malice Mizer are anyway.
And in the end....no one should be ashamed of liking JRock bands.

Well, I expected to recieve such a reply.
You cannot say that i'm narrow minded just by reading a single post, even if you read all my few posts.
O.K. that just sounded stupid, but I'm surrounded by people that REALLY hate those bands, so I wrongly thought that more people would hate them.
I didn't say that I'm ashamed "I'm not ashamed for that but I didn't find another thread..."
----
01.07.2007 - 10:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Written by selken on 01.07.2007 at 07:33

You will use to her post sugest use ignoire

About me hmmm Im not shore if there are band what I like but Im ashemd so I realy can not tell
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.07.2007 - 11:41
Deus Ex Machina
@selkenshin - Oh God...I didn't say you were narrow minded.I expressed hope you wouldn't act that way.
I'm sure you are surrounded by such people and i understand that completely,but you can surely also understand why such a sentence would ring badly in someone's ears.
It sounded like something someone with very childish behavior would say.I'm sure you know that.
But in all respect...no..i'm not saying that YOU are like that.
My whole opinion was focused and revolved around that one sentence,nothing i said is to be confused with you in whole..cause..obviously..i don't know you.
And yes,i know..you wrote the sentence without much thought,not really meaning anything by it,but i hated the way it sounded.
THAT'S about it.
01.07.2007 - 12:38
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by selken on 01.07.2007 at 07:33

You cannot say that i'm narrow minded just by reading a single post, even if you read all my few posts.
O.K. that just sounded stupid, but I'm surrounded by people that REALLY hate those bands, so I wrongly thought that more people would hate them.
I didn't say that I'm ashamed "I'm not ashamed for that but I didn't find another thread..."

You are funny, you have way too much metal pride for your own good :

and hey, check the rock forum sometimes, they talk about Malice Mizer there, you know.
01.07.2007 - 13:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=6172] on 28.06.2007 at 04:38

BUT WHY you are ashamed of THE CURE?
I love them, maybe not all albums but 70% of them work, I realy love them and Im proud of that
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.07.2007 - 19:48
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Bad English on 01.07.2007 at 13:14

I love them, maybe not all albums but 70% of them work, I realy love them and Im proud of that

The Cure is definitly not my type of music, but I fail to see whats so shameful about listening to them, most classic rock bands dont carry any shame with them.
----
- George Carlin
02.07.2007 - 07:58
I'm kind of embarrased to say that I actually enjoy hard house and trance music. I can't name any particular DJ or anything, but I enjoy the stuff.
----
oderint dum metuant
02.07.2007 - 10:57
~IAMLEGEND~
Account deleted
Written by Danny Thomas on 09.04.2007 at 20:10

Written by Hyvaarin on 21.03.2007 at 12:33

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I dig a few Panic! At the Disco songs. They're annoying and whiny, but they're still fun and really catchy.

hmmm that is shameful lol. i think you will be able to slide on this 1 as long as you also don't listen to fallout boy : P

I listen to both and more (AFI, The Used, etc). There's nothing wrong with it.....it's only music.

Anyways, i'd have to say that even for my age, I tend to like stuff from A-ha >w<
03.07.2007 - 12:27
The Optimist
Account deleted
Hm.. Im not ashamed of any bands I like but I do listen to Prince once in a while and well, thats not what you people call 'good' or whatever so I guess its Prince. Oh' plus Beck and Cake.

Oh' dude Massive Attack and Tricky + BATH = Mmmh
04.07.2007 - 01:46
Mockingbird622
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 01.07.2007 at 13:14

because in some metal circles the cure are considered posers and if you say you like the cure certain people will call you a poser
04.07.2007 - 20:29
OneWithMisery
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I feel the same way a bit, I dont hate the band, but I hate Bodom fans, seriously, im not sure if its just over here in north america, but the majority of Bodoms fan base has become 13 year old laiho-worshippin' emo kids, and I really dont want to be associated with them.

Trust me, it's not only in north america, i was at their play 2 years ago and I trully think I was the oldest one there..and I was 17..horrible, I don't know if these boys are turn on by Alexi or something, but as soon as they saw a girl coming close, they were all over her..heloooo, your're a kid, kids are not supposed to be trying put tongue into somebodys throat!! And the same thing is happening with Trivium or even Lamb of God, the fan base is about 10. Crazy.
----
Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'till it goes CLICK!