Metal Storm logo
AARGH..f*cking string buzz!!

25.08.2006 - 16:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i bought my acoustic guitar about3 moths aog,and everything going smoothly,until the 4th string started buzzing out of nowhere.i changed the strings about 3 weeks ago,but now it buzzes again.if you want an idea of how it works,clikc here:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?actionfiltered=download&ufid=42BF753E5A43A602&rcpt=let_there_be_rock90@yahoo.com
a recording of the buzz
the thing is i have a guitar with mobile bridge,kind of like what electric basses have

H.E.L.P.
25.08.2006 - 18:00
Soliloquy
that is a sweet guitar. but i'm no good with acoutic guitars. if it was your electric, and if it wasnt a les paul, i could have said to raise your bridge by tighting the screws beside your hinge.

but for the acoustic, i would need a close up on the bridge to figure it out
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
25.08.2006 - 18:44
W-Lash
Metal Master
Hmm, i didn't listen your record but something similar happened to my old guitar. The reason was that little handle (your guitar has got 6 handles, they are used for tuning it), it wasn't tight enough and it started vibrating while playing guitar. With a screwdriver i solved this problem.
25.08.2006 - 19:21
Valentin B
Iconoclast
thanks w-lash but it's not the handle,i had that problem when i changed the strings. i think it's because of the nut fret...i mean it doesn't buzz at fret number 2 or 3..but this doesn't explain why the new strings sounded perfectly...:wall: also,when i take the bridge away and leave the string support at the bottom to be the "bridge",it doesn't sound that weird
@soliloquy:thanks i was beginning to think it's lame and stuff

i am an incompetent close-up photographer
25.08.2006 - 20:05
Shugojin
Account deleted
Hmm...

Well, the basic thing to do here is take it to a shop if you can and have them check it out. Sounds like the action needs to be adjusted, actually, but I'm not that great at repars.
25.08.2006 - 20:18
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i've experimented a bit,and it seems it's the bridge...does anyone know if mobile wood bridges like this are still being made?
25.08.2006 - 21:33
Soliloquy
i'm sure they are being made. but i'm not familiar with that bridge or its adjustments, so i wont be of much help. but i suggest you take it into some guitar shop and ask them what is going on. sometimes those guys are being fuckers and take it in and slap you with a 50 bucks worth of billing. other times, they just tell you what the problem is and how to fix it(sometimes they fix it themselves)

it all depends on how well you know those guitar clerks
----

-Zakk Wylde
26.08.2006 - 14:56
wrathchild
Staff
I know next to nothing about that, but it may happen that this is due to the weather... Cause some materials (i.e wood) tend to contract or expand with heat/cold/humidity, etc. That's one reason why violin players take so much care of their instruments.
I don't really know what to do about that, maybe keeping your guitar in a case could help.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
26.08.2006 - 16:50
Soliloquy
Written by wrathchild on 26.08.2006 at 14:56

I know next to nothing about that, but it may happen that this is due to the weather... Cause some materials (i.e wood) tend to contract or expand with heat/cold/humidity, etc. That's one reason why violin players take so much care of their instruments.
I don't really know what to do about that, maybe keeping your guitar in a case could help.

really?i guess i better be looking into that if i'm looking for a violin
----

-Zakk Wylde
26.08.2006 - 18:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
never thought about it..thanks
27.08.2006 - 00:57
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by wrathchild on 26.08.2006 at 14:56

Oh, i remember, once i used to keep my guitar near the open window in winter and after some time i wondered why so perfectly tuned guitar sounded to crappy (as you know, metal (strings) changes it's capacity when temperature changes).
27.08.2006 - 11:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
omg this is gold.thanks!!
27.08.2006 - 13:20
Crankles
Account deleted
Written by W-Lash on 25.08.2006 at 18:44

Hmm, i didn't listen your record but something similar happened to my old guitar. The reason was that little handle (your guitar has got 6 handles, they are used for tuning it), it wasn't tight enough and it started vibrating while playing guitar. With a screwdriver i solved this problem.

This is most likely the problem. I had the same thing happening to me. Tightening the tuning knobs took away the buzz.
27.08.2006 - 15:44
Sunioj
Yeah in Israel, you leave your bass or guitar out in your room for a day and with the heat and dryness, it will most likely loosen by 1/2 or a 1/3rd of a step.
27.08.2006 - 18:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
wtf?a half step?!?
17.09.2006 - 16:04
..ExoTeaR..
Written by Sunioj on 27.08.2006 at 15:44

Yeah in Israel, you leave your bass or guitar out in your room for a day and with the heat and dryness, it will most likely loosen by 1/2 or a 1/3rd of a step.

Crazy shit!!! i was always told of temperature being able to fuck with the soung and feel of your instrument
but thats mad, anyhow the problem may be the metal rod in the neck of your instrument and would be an allternate way of possibly dealing with the sound problem, dunno just having say
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
17.09.2006 - 16:19
Sunioj
Thats an exaggeration, for like a few days in a room with sun bolting directly at your instrument. Yeah, Ive tried that out, after it was getting to the point of madness, and since things have been cooling up, my bass has been sounding good!