Metal Storm logo
Why do people hate metalcore?

Original post

Posted by patrickmetal12, 21.12.2010 - 18:54
A friend of mine asked my why i hated metal core and all those other weird -core bands out there.
I really dislike like the music they make. I want to be able explain why it is hated so much.
enlighten me (and everyone who comes across this topic)
17.02.2011 - 01:08
Sonic MrSumo
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.02.2011 at 00:31

Written by Sonic MrSumo on 17.02.2011 at 00:03

What a futile topic.

I don't see the point in creating a thread with the primary objective of shitting all over an entire genre.

Some people like Metalcore, other people dislike Metalcore. Some people like Funeral Doom, other people dislike Funeral Doom.

Move on...

The point of the thread is for enlightenment. It was created in order to gain an understanding behind the reasons for "so many people" hating on what seem people refuse to call a sub-genre of heavy metal.

It's more than just:
"Why do you hate black metal?"
"Because Satanists are gay!"

It's a thread for users to discuss more in-depth reasons for disliking the genre. One could and should be made for all genres, as the simple "tastes differ" argument is simply conversation-ending.

Okay, thus far I have:

- it's all emo shit
- the bands are money hungry
- they wear stupid clothes

Reasons that don't seem to be getting to the 'core' (haha...sorry) of the subject.

I'm certainly all for constructive comment and debate. However, when a topic is raised about a genre that is widely disliked, and the topic is phrased in the negative, you're going to get a lot of pointless comments with no reasoning behind them (as outlined above).
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
17.02.2011 - 01:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 17.02.2011 at 01:08

I'm certainly all for constructive comment and debate. However, when a topic is raised about a genre that is widely disliked, and the topic is phrased in the negative, you're going to get a lot of pointless comments with no reasoning behind them (as outlined above).

Firstly, that was a terrible pun. But someone had to do it.

Secondly, pointless comments are more common in forums than rainbow flags in a gay pride parade (I can make bad jokes related to the thread too )

Seriously though, the thread gives users a chance to intelligently argue for or against the music. Both sides offer their own ridiculous comments, but both also offer more legitimate responses. It's all a matter of sifting through the shit and finding the diamonds in the rough, kind of like music.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.02.2011 - 01:49
Sonic MrSumo
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.02.2011 at 01:19

Firstly, that was a terrible pun. But someone had to do it.

The pun rocked.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
17.02.2011 - 09:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I think I'm at the halfway point between Sonic MrSumo and Troy. The thread, in theory, is great, it should offer enlightenment. Unfortunately, a good majority of the comments opposing the genre have been utterly baseless. There may be some stupid posts in favour of the genre somewhere in here (I'm not reading through 2 other pages to look for examples), but whether their posts are stupid or not is irrelevant, as the thread asks why do people hate it, not why people like it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.02.2011 - 14:48
ANGEL REAPER
Funny thing is that thread itself dont encourage people to "... intelligently argue for or against the music...."
You see when you name a thread in form of question ,you must expect answer-like posts (some are short,some are long)
The second thing is this topic is named "Why do people hate metalcore?" and not "Why metalcore sucks" so you have to expect a lot of explanation why people hate it and reasons why they do so...BTW people feel hatred for many (utterly insignificant) reasons,but that is what people think....
and also first mistake of every fanboy is to try to convince everyone else in advantages of his favorite bands on "enemy soil"...I mean I like Burzum,and a lot of people dislike it ,That is not reason to go around ant speak to anyone how Burzum is great ...Its sort of "LIVE AND LET DIE " philosophy...
PS: Burzum was just an example...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.02.2011 - 06:42
Thunderhead
Well, i don't known if there should be a reason.
We can say about technic, songwriting, visuals, etc...
But in the end it's always a question of musical taste and art perception.
I don't see art in metalcore. I mean, i don't even known what metalcore is to be honest!
Killswitchs engage is metalcore?
Lamb of God is metalcore?
Trivium is Metalcore?
I don't get what is all about, really. Someone please explain to me, what the fuck is metalcore!
Forget what i said before.
WHATEFUCK iS METALCORE?

And what is math something too?
Don't understand all that new labels.
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
19.02.2011 - 12:06
IronAngel
I don't really understand what all falls under metalcore either, tbh. I like hardcore punk, post-hardcore, screamo, emo(core) and other -core genres, but I don't hear much of them in metalcore. They're emotional, passionate, chaotic and unpredictable and usually firmly underground. I don't hear or see the connection to metalcore. But that may be because the mainstream metalcore bands have as much to do with real metalcore as My Chemical Romance has with real emo. I wouldn't know. >_>
19.02.2011 - 16:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@Thunderhead Metalcore is a term already used in the mid to late Eighties referring to bands that mixed hardcore with metal such as Cro-Mags and Merauder.
What people call matalcore nowadays has nothing to do with metalcore whatsoever, the only things remotely hardcore in the sound of those bands ar parts of the hardcorish vocals that's it.
And people please don't mention breakdowns as a defining trait because old school death metal and thrash metal abound in breakdowns as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.02.2011 - 17:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.02.2011 at 16:24

@Thunderhead Metalcore is a term already used in the mid to late Eighties referring to bands that mixed hardcore with metal such as Cro-Mags and Merauder.
What people call matalcore nowadays has nothing to do with metalcore whatsoever, the only things remotely hardcore in the sound of those bands ar parts of the hardcorish vocals that's it.
And people please don't mention breakdowns as a defining trait because old school death metal and thrash metal abound in breakdowns as well.

I think it's more of a development of the genre, kind of like how a lot of first wave black metal sounds totally different from what it is today. I would still consider modern stuff metalcore, it's just evolved from a fusion genre to something with it's own distinct sound.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.02.2011 - 21:29
IronAngel
I don't know about the evolution of metalcore, but I can easily believe Marcel because modern metalcore sounds nothing like other supposed offshoots of hardcore punk.

Just checked out Cro-Mags, by the way. This is cool, really dirty and angry.
20.02.2011 - 15:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
People hate metalcore because frankly they find it insulting that their own superior music taste in metal is undermined by a genre of music which includes the term metal that is ascribed to a relatively popular and mass produced style of music, usually chock full of attractive young men ripe to be jealous of. It's a problem with the people that hate it just as much as the creative void that surrounds the larger proportion of metalcore.
20.02.2011 - 21:14
Zuzuz0r
Hating metalcore gives you elite and kvlt points, because the metal brotherhood tells you to hate all of the impure genres such as metalcore, nu-metal, etc... And you should only listen to the clean and pure genres, like, you know, heavy metal, thrash metal, black metal, death metal, and so on.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
21.02.2011 - 04:45
Thunderhead
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.02.2011 at 16:24

Thanks for the definition Marcel. Thanks everybody else too.
I will have a listen to Cro-Mags and Merauders.
Lets see. And them i will try to catch some metalcore bands from nowdays to have a real opinion!
Thanks!
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
04.03.2011 - 06:51
I agree that hating any type of music is not worth the energy. I personally like some metal core its just like every other genre there are good bands and bad bands. I think people who justify their hate for metalcore or any type of music because of the way the band looks or dresses is just stupid and ignorant. Its no different than hating a certain race because of how they look. All in all I think that, there are alot of people out there that feel like in order to be considered truly metal you have to hate anything that doesn't fit a certain definition. However to me that makes no sense, I would much rather just enjoy what I like, but hey thats just my two cents...
20.03.2011 - 20:25
fabregassed
Account deleted
For every good metalcore band, theres about 90000000 bad ones. Here's one of the bad ones... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLQBebfEXpc and when you think it can't get any worse, go to 3:35... I'm all for being open minded, i listen to quite a few genres beyond metal and rock in general but seriously.
20.03.2011 - 22:46
Uldreth
Yeah it was pretty bad but as it was said, there are shitty bands in pretty much all genres. I dont see how it gets any worse at 3:35 though, if it was not for his crap voice that bit would've been awesome.

And there are some decent ones too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVuc9AYhMgM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBIV1XS1mwg&feature=related
21.03.2011 - 10:22
wormdrink414
Elite
I'm assuming you mean As I Lay Dying-like, modern metalcore:

I think that it might have something to do with other extreme metal genres being, for the most part, anti-feminine and predominantly supported by the working class (at least that's the impression I get, know its a generalization, blah blah eat shit). That would lead right to the "look" aspect of metalcore; the idea that metalcore bands look like they shop at Hot Topic and other mall shops and boutiques and thus must be middle-class and/or feminine. It seems to be seen as that flaccid, bourgeois, driving-mom's-lexus sub-genre tweens buy into to satisfy their hormone rages.

The impression I get is that people who hate on metalcore (and I have definitely gone out of my way in the past to hate on it too, so no holier-than-thou intended) do so because of something that either resembles or is high school social politics. It's almost always dumb, and I hate myself for being such a dick to metalcore fans at my old school.

Well, at least one of them deserved it. Two, maybe.

Frankly, I don't like modern metalcore because, to allude to fabregassed's comment, for every one metalcore band I've enjoyed, I've cringed at 100. And for every time I've enjoyed a Bullet For My Valentine song, I've cringed 100 times at a different Bullet For My Valentine song.
21.03.2011 - 15:34
fabregassed
Account deleted
Written by Uldreth on 20.03.2011 at 22:46

Yeah it was pretty bad but as it was said, there are shitty bands in pretty much all genres. I dont see how it gets any worse at 3:35 though, if it was not for his crap voice that bit would've been awesome.

And there are some decent ones too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVuc9AYhMgM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBIV1XS1mwg&feature=related

I've heard of Chimaira, I can tolerate a few tracks. The first video sounds kind of Gothenburg influenced? Gothenburg is one of those genres i'm not quite into, but I do have the Jester Race- In Flames, the vocals for me are a bit rough, but I can appreciate the guitar work. How related is Gothenburg and metalcore? I think metalcore can be split into two groups, the extremely cringeworthy teen-pop Bullet for my Valentine, Atreyu, Killswitch, Blessthefall etc and then the " I wish the vocals were different but I can tolerate the music" bands like All Shall Perish. The problem is that these bands don't really offer anything ground breaking and for me personally aren't worth my time.
23.03.2011 - 00:29
Uldreth
Metalcore is supposedly a fusion of hardcore punk and melodic death metal, so it is inevitable they're related to gothenburg. As a matter of fact, some people credit Slaughter of the Soul - era At the Gates for the rise of metalcore (their riffs, etc.). No idea if this is true or not but the two genres are definitely related.
23.03.2011 - 02:55
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by Uldreth on 23.03.2011 at 00:29

Metalcore is supposedly a fusion of hardcore punk and melodic death metal.

Actually, this melodeath-influenced newer style is often called "melodic metalcore" by those who know a lot about these genres and it has almost nothing in common with the original "real" metalcore which has a much stronger hardcore base. It's unfortunate that this distinction between metalcore and melodic metalcore is usually not made and the two very different styles get lumped together under one name. In my experience, most people who bash metalcore are pointing specifically at the melodic metalcore style and often have zero idea about the original style.
23.03.2011 - 13:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@KryptoN indeed. Original "real" metalcore is bands such as Merauder,Cro-Mags (from the second album onwards), that sort of stuff. The melodeath influence only came later on.
I for one can't stand the newer melodeath influenced metalcore but love the original "real" metalcore.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.03.2011 - 17:41
IronAngel
I might label bands like Trap Them, All Pigs Must Die, New Lows and maybe even Kvelertak as "metalcore" if not for the misuse of the term and the related stigma. To me, they're a good example of how metal and hardcore punk ought to be combined.
23.03.2011 - 18:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by IronAngel on 23.03.2011 at 17:41

I might label bands like Trap Them, All Pigs Must Die, New Lows and maybe even Kvelertak as "metalcore" if not for the misuse of the term and the related stigma. To me, they're a good example of how metal and hardcore punk ought to be combined.

Kvelertak I would as such as well and they are really good, indeed.

Trap Them I don't know AT ALL but was already planning to check them out next month at Roadburn at least the half hour of their set because then Place Of Skulls have finished and no must sees are playing at that time. okay Earth are but I saw them two years ago already at Roadburn. and for me RB usually is check out bands I don't know except for some must see exceptions.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.03.2011 - 18:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Trap Them are crustgrind or something. I'v heard a few tracks and they're ok, they got album of the month in Terrorizer. Not sure their new one is that good though.
23.03.2011 - 18:16
IronAngel
Written by Guest on 23.03.2011 at 18:10

Trap Them are crustgrind or something. I'v heard a few tracks and they're ok, they got album of the month in Terrorizer. Not sure their new one is that good though.

As far as I understand, crust is an evolution of hardcore punk with a handful of metal, so that seems to fall nicely under how I'd intuitively use the word "metalcore", wouldn't you say? As an umbrella term, anyway.

I can't say I know much about these substyles though, I rarely hear a decisive difference.
23.03.2011 - 18:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 23.03.2011 at 18:16

Written by Guest on 23.03.2011 at 18:10

As far as I understand, crust is an evolution of hardcore punk with a handful of metal, so that seems to fall nicely under how I'd intuitively use the word "metalcore", wouldn't you say? As an umbrella term, anyway.

Yeah more than likely. It's not something I'm very up on to be honest but I have to say the term "metalcore" has always been a bit of a misnomer for me as the generic metalcore band these days seems to be completely exempt of anything even remotely punky (same for deathcore really - I don't hear the "core" aspects at all in the music) whereas the bands you cited, especially Kvelertak who I've been listening a lot too lately, as well as Integrity, seem far more literal interpretations of the metalcore term.
28.04.2011 - 03:49
Kennoth
Well, I for once like a few bands now and then, but those who fall more to the metal spectrum of the fusion, like thread starter observed. I was never one to particularly care about any band image, but I dislike feminine men in general so I don't really fancy that asexual look most of them tend to nurture.

Also hardcore dancing. Just hardcore dancing.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
28.04.2011 - 05:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Kennoth on 28.04.2011 at 03:49

28.04.2011 - 14:26
Kennoth
Written by Guest on 28.04.2011 at 05:27

Written by Kennoth on 28.04.2011 at 03:49

My eyes....they burn...

Though fortunately they seem aware of the fact that they're making fun of themselves. I would hate to see bunch of people being serious about it.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
28.04.2011 - 14:51
Tranquillizer
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

My eyes....they burn...

Though fortunately they seem aware of the fact that they're making fun of themselves. I would hate to see bunch of people being serious about it.

Is this serious enough?