Metal Storm logo
Most extreme track

26.12.2010 - 10:07
SerratedSyringe
In my opinion, extremity in music (ie, what constitutes extreme metal) is both an objective and subjective matter. Yes, playing faster and louder does tend to make one band more "extreme" than the next, but there's more to it that can't be easily quantified. At what point does extreme music become mere noise?
I am curious to know which song you believe is the most extreme (Remember, this isn't a race; speed isn't everything.) and where you believe the thresh hold of music and pure noise lies. For me, Anaal Nathrakh's Castigation And Betrayal is the epitome of extremity in metal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geGhigT097A
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
26.12.2010 - 16:04
ForeverDarkWoods
Parabellum's Sacreligio EP slays everything else. Madre Muerte especially. It is basically the most chaotic and demented black/death metal ever created (released in 1987). Best when at deafening volumes.

Anaal Nathrakh is pop music in comparison.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
26.12.2010 - 22:42
SerratedSyringe
Sounds like Teitanblood got a good bit of inspiration form them. Also, I don't think they really comparable to AN at all. They achieve "chaos" in very different way. Parabellum uses atmosphere and production, while AN focuses on inhuman vocals and riffs. Still great stuff though. Thanks for the tip.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
27.12.2010 - 00:54
Vombatus
Potorro
I'd probably put AN into the "most extreme" category. As for Parabellum, reminded me of Beherit "Oath of The Dark Blood". No violent riffs, no neckbreacking drums but it's sooo raw and filthy.

Also, "Volcanic Birth" or "Buried With Leeches" by Dragged Into Sunlight deserve place here. So does Mysticum's "Crypt Of Fears", it's like mixing clockwork orange+BM+magic mushrooms.
27.12.2010 - 04:00
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by SerratedSyringe on 26.12.2010 at 10:07
At what point does extreme music become mere noise?

Again, this depends on your definitions of 'extreme music' and 'noise'. Merzbow anyone?
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
27.12.2010 - 17:45
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
I found Tristwood's debut album "Amygdala" to be a pretty extreme album. In a totally different league than their more well-known second album "The Delphic Doctrine." The production isn't as brutal as on "The Delphic Doctrine", which gives it a more noisy and chaotic feel. I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgT17zVc6BA
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
27.12.2010 - 19:29
Narterath
Written by Vombatus on 27.12.2010 at 00:54

So does Mysticum's "Crypt Of Fears", it's like mixing clockwork orange+BM+magic mushrooms.

Well then, you might want to check Diabolicum out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-bHxvPFO-M
Not the most extreme track but close to Mysticum.

To be honest, I've always considered the vocal performance on Worship's Song For Our Slaves to be quite extreme, even though it's funeral doom and it's supposed to be depressive. The song itself is the sonic equivalent to a tortured soul.
29.12.2010 - 16:31
ForeverDarkWoods
You guys might want to check out an album I know.

The Axis Of Perdition - Deleted Scenes from the Transition Hospital.

Might fit what you're looking for. Some of the scariest stuff out there. Also got five reviews on MA with an average of 98%. Not a bad album at all, although very extreme and experimental. This type of metal is not usually my cup of tea but I can take this for a spin once in a while. Quite atmospheric but in a very extreme way. Again, best when at deafening volumes.

As for Parabellum, the shit is just demented as fuck. I don't think you can easily compare it to Beherit. Beherit is way less chaotic and not as raw as Parabellum's first EP. It has been said to be a great influence to the second wave of bm though, although the band was all but forgotten later (while Sarcofago was remembered as the early most extreme outfit of South America).

You also might want to check out Gnaw Their Tongues. Demented black metal/noise. Not really my cup of tea but definitely quite extreme.

You also might want to give (V.E.G.A.) a try.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
29.12.2010 - 19:33
KryptoN
imperceptible

This is the first thing I thought of, which is basically "black noise" with a tiny bit of black metal buried in the mix. I personally loved this track right from the first time I heard it. There's just something in it that is really beautiful in some absurd way. If I think about it from the outside perspective, I can imagine viewing it as one of the ugliest sounding things ever.
30.12.2010 - 20:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by KryptoN on 29.12.2010 at 19:33

This is the first thing I thought of, which is basically "black noise" with a tiny bit of black metal buried in the mix. I personally loved this track right from the first time I heard it. There's just something in it that is really beautiful in some absurd way. If I think about it from the outside perspective, I can imagine viewing it as one of the ugliest sounding things ever.

That's seriously intense and layered to perfection. I thought it was Dark Tribe or Gnaw Their Tongues at first but it goes beyond those. Amazing stuff. Are all songs like that?
30.12.2010 - 20:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 29.12.2010 at 16:31

You guys might want to check out an album I know.

The Axis Of Perdition - Deleted Scenes from the Transition Hospital.

Might fit what you're looking for. Some of the scariest stuff out there. Also got five reviews on MA with an average of 98%. Not a bad album at all, although very extreme and experimental. This type of metal is not usually my cup of tea but I can take this for a spin once in a while. Quite atmospheric but in a very extreme way. Again, best when at deafening volumes.

You also might want to check out Gnaw Their Tongues. Demented black metal/noise. Not really my cup of tea but definitely quite extreme.

You also might want to give (V.E.G.A.) a try.

I second all those rec's. I don't think (V.E.G.A.) are all that extreme though but they're still a very interesting band nonetheless and worth exploring.
30.12.2010 - 20:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Seeing as I mentioned them already here's some Dark Tribe:

The record they put out this year was a letdown though.
30.12.2010 - 23:25
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by Guest on 30.12.2010 at 20:09

That's seriously intense and layered to perfection. I thought it was Dark Tribe or Gnaw Their Tongues at first but it goes beyond those. Amazing stuff. Are all songs like that?

Well, the same guy is behind both Aderlating & Gnaw Their Tongues so it's not a coincidence it sounds similar. I've heard the releases "The Nectar of Perversity Springs From the Well of Repression", "Devotional Hymns" and "Dying of the Light" but I don't remember there being other songs that were this extreme. For example the song I linked is the opener of the "Dying of the Light" EP but the following songs are quite calm and much closer to "traditional" dark ambient.
30.12.2010 - 23:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by KryptoN on 30.12.2010 at 23:25

Written by Guest on 30.12.2010 at 20:09

Well, the same guy is behind both Aderlating & Gnaw Their Tongues so it's not a coincidence it sounds similar. I've heard the releases "The Nectar of Perversity Springs From the Well of Repression", "Devotional Hymns" and "Dying of the Light" but I don't remember there being other songs that were this extreme. For example the song I linked is the opener of the "Dying of the Light" EP but the following song are a quite calm and much closer to "tradtional" dark ambient.

Holy crap you're right, it is Mories. I think no further proof is needed that the guy is a force in the world of ultra tormented music if this, Gnaw Their Tongues and De Magia Veterum is anything to go by.
30.12.2010 - 23:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 30.12.2010 at 23:27

Holy crap you're right, it is Mories. I think no further proof is needed that the guy is a force in the world of ultra tormented music if this, Gnaw Their Tongues and De Magia Veterum is anything to go by.

I love how he misspells his own name on purpose. Saw Aderlating live a couple of times and it's really tormented and intense stuff.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.12.2010 - 23:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.12.2010 at 23:50

Written by Guest on 30.12.2010 at 23:27

I love how he misspells his own name on purpose. Saw Aderlating live a couple of times and it's really tormented and intense stuff.

Oh it's Maurice isn't it? Yeah live I can't imagine what kind of hell hole he would conjure.
31.12.2010 - 00:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 30.12.2010 at 23:53

Oh it's Maurice isn't it? Yeah live I can't imagine what kind of hell hole he would conjure.

Yep, it's Maurice. Hell hole doesn't even come close to describing what he conjures up live. I still got to see Gnaw Their Tongues live though.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.12.2010 - 00:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.12.2010 at 00:00

Yep, it's Maurice. Hell hole doesn't even come close to describing what he conjures up live. I still got to see Gnaw Their Tongues live though.

Does he tour outside the Netherlands do you know? He's definitely one of your finest exports, probably one of the few individuals I really have a major respect for, along with Vindsval, for creating hellish music.
31.12.2010 - 00:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 31.12.2010 at 00:05

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.12.2010 at 00:00

Does he tour outside the Netherlands do you know? He's definitely one of your finest exports, probably one of the few individuals I really have a major respect for, along with Vindsval, for creating hellish music.

No idea if he does.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.12.2010 - 20:04
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
What about the Canadian Lust? It's been a while since i've listened to it, but i remember it being some of the craziest, most violent and intense Black metal ever. Shame its NS though.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama