Metal Storm logo
Favorite Opeth Drummer

Poll

Which drummer do you think is/was the best in Opeth?

Martin Lopez
Martin "Axe" Axenrot
Anders Nordin

Total votes: 141
16.01.2011 - 20:59
INÆRIS
Opeth has had several great drummers throughout their career. Which drummer do you prefer?

Anders Nordin 1990-1997 Orchid, Morningrise

Martin Lopez 1997-2006 MAYH, Still Life, BWP, Deliverance, Damnation, Ghost Reveries

Martin "Axe" Axenrot 2006- Watershed
----
Still Life, Still Death
16.01.2011 - 21:06
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Martin Lopez. No doubt about it. His work was great on all albums he did, and his presence in live performance was amazing.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
16.01.2011 - 21:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Martin Lopez hands down.... His style had a more jazzy touch, not a completely metal feeling and that was something that really stood up in Opeth's music.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.01.2011 - 22:03
Eleazar
Hi friends!!! For me, the best drummer in Opeth was Martín López. The technique and style of Lopez is higher than Axe and Anders. Axe has going for it is more powerful, but Lopez was the exact style of Opeth.
16.01.2011 - 22:15
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Not much doubts about this one. Lopez' legacy is kinda hard to overcome at this point. He brought so much diversity to the band, a natural talent. I mean the other had an amazing contribution as well and they are also great players which I respect.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.01.2011 - 22:51
the stranger
Martin Lopez. He's drum work is much more complex and not so metal. I mean, it has a different vibe. And that adds a lot to the general sound of Opeth. Sometimes his snare drum sounds like if he were playing some kind of latin music. Also, as the greatest of all time, he can play one rhythm with one hand, another with the other, another with one leg and a different one with the other.
16.01.2011 - 22:57
My vote goes to Martin Lopez... with Axe as a close second. Lopez's technique is some of the best drumming I've ever heard. Anders Nordin was allright, but at times, you could hear him get sloppy, and it would kinda kill the song for me. Axe, I'll say is second, because he hasn't been in the band for a long time, but his style is very experimental and inspired... A lot of the material on Watershed is a pretty good example of that (my favorite is probably the jazz-fusion-ish breakdown in The Lotus Eater"), plus he's got to also do justice to Martin Lopez's original playing, so that has to take a shit load of talent.
Lopez gets it for me, because though I love all Opeth albums, his era seem to be the albums that I most frequently listen to.
16.01.2011 - 23:25
In_tallica
Axe is a fantastic drummer, and he fits Opeth, but he still needs a few more albums with Opeth if he is to proove himself over what Lopez was doing.
16.01.2011 - 23:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I have no one, Opeth is band where vocalist make muisc like in others, so I cant choose, since I like all albums
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.01.2011 - 00:00
DrM
DreaMutilated
Written by MightyFuckinThor on 16.01.2011 at 22:57

My vote goes to Martin Lopez... with Axe as a close second. Lopez's technique is some of the best drumming I've ever heard. Anders Nordin was allright, but at times, you could hear him get sloppy, and it would kinda kill the song for me. Axe, I'll say is second, because he hasn't been in the band for a long time, but his style is very experimental and inspired... A lot of the material on Watershed is a pretty good example of that (my favorite is probably the jazz-fusion-ish breakdown in The Lotus Eater"), plus he's got to also do justice to Martin Lopez's original playing, so that has to take a shit load of talent.
Lopez gets it for me, because though I love all Opeth albums, his era seem to be the albums that I most frequently listen to.

I absolutely agree with every single point you just made, except for one - well, the last. It's a bit unfair to compare Axe's "Era" (consisting of only one album) and Lopez's.

However, I'm not entirely free from sin - I also think that Lopez is the better drummer, simply because I can account for much more parts when the drumming made me go "Wow!" when he was behind the kit. I think I need to spin Watershed a few more times, and wait for their next album before I make up my mind. However, if I had to choose right now - Lopez would've been my pick.

P.S. - the fusion jazz in the Lotus Eater is awesome indeed! Wish it were a bit longer though, and with a bit more development.

Written by Bad English on 16.01.2011 at 23:34

I have no one, Opeth is band where vocalist make muisc like in others, so I cant choose, since I like all albums

I must have misunderstood you. Opeth is a band with a clear focus on the Music rather than the singing. A lot of bands these days focus the attention on vocals and "Epic Lyrics", but then creates a blend generically-structured tune that even those amazing lyrics can't save. Not that these lyrics were any good in the first place.

That's a significant part of what Prog is - the vocals are only one of the instruments, and if you'll listen carefully you'd notice that there is a lot more time when Mikael isn't singing - he's playing, and with such an amazing emotional depth.
17.01.2011 - 00:28
Mountain King
K i K o
Just listen to the ending of Deliverance. Odd signature at it's best. Lopez ftw...
17.01.2011 - 00:52
MetalSpider
My vote is for Martin Lopez although I think Martin Axenrot is amazing as well and is doing a killer job with Opeth.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
17.01.2011 - 02:17
Black_Sheep
With so many of you voting for Lopez, my vote goes for Axe. Both drummers are totally awesome. And it's very sad Lopez had to left..
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
17.01.2011 - 02:34
Arcticus
Lopez, simply due to the volume of his output compared to the others, and obviously the quality of that output. Axe needs more time to really establish himself, although Watershed was awesome, and that jazz-funk part in 'The Lotus Eater' still gets me tapping and nodding every time I hear it. Anders Nordin for me was too simplistic, and seemed to rely a lot on double kicks to carry a song - obviously it still worked pretty well, considering how good Orchid and especially Morningrise are, but in terms of technique and style he doesn't even come close to Lopez or Axe. There are a lot of drumming moments on those first 2 albums that I love, and he is/was obviously quite skilled, but Opeth outgrew him pretty quick. So, my vote goes to Lopez - I was incredibly sad when he left the band, and it is a regret of mine that I never got to see him live. I saw Opeth on the Ghost Reveries tour, but that was with Axe filling in due to Lopez' health issues. I guess my worn out copies of MAYH, Still Life and Blackwater Park will have to keep me going as they have all these years
17.01.2011 - 02:51
Slyfang
Axe is real beast on the drums. i also like his personality alot, and he's a bit of a looney, which earns him even more points
17.01.2011 - 03:47
INÆRIS
You've all made some great points, and I'm happy to see that Lopez is the overwhelming choice. As far as speed and technicality goes, I think Axe has that going for him, but Lopez just has the perfect touch. Opeth would not have been the same if Lopez hadn't been there. His playing fits with the songs and styles perfectly.
----
Still Life, Still Death
17.01.2011 - 06:50
Lopez is the best imo, even though Axenrot has grown on me a lot
17.01.2011 - 16:27
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
Axenrot is pretty good with some solid performance in Watershed.......
17.01.2011 - 20:11
BehzadSh
I love Lopez but Axe is ... just great
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
18.01.2011 - 09:03
Candlemass
Defaeco
Martin Lopez by far...he did an amazing job on "Ghost Reveries"
18.01.2011 - 19:50
Winterthrone
Martin Lopez all the way! Yeah I also love the drumming of Axe but we can't really compare him to Lopez since he drummed on only one Opeth album. Lopez is THE ONE AND ONLY drummer that made Opeth what it is today! Anders Nordin was a good drummer, but like others have said, it seems the other guys outgrew him after only two albums. I can't imagine albums like MAYH, SL, BP and GR without Lopez's drums on 'em.
18.01.2011 - 23:21
I'll vote for Martin Lopez. Is not that Axe is not capable but the way Lopez plays suits the band better.
----
***...Soy el rayo al final del puente...***
19.01.2011 - 05:32
Arcticus
Written by Guest on 17.01.2011 at 19:38

Hah, i'm really alone with Nordin :

19.01.2011 - 08:44
I think Lopez is the quintessential Opeth drummer. His style and capabilities were a dead match for what Opeth calls for. There is no denying that Axe is equally as awesome, but in a different way. Axe is incredible and for me personally, his best work is with Bloodbath. Lopez has no chance against Axe in the world of death metal drumming, but he is far more in tune for progressive metal. So basically, Lopez for Opeth and Axe for Bloodbath.
20.01.2011 - 01:35
Written by DrM on 17.01.2011 at 00:00

I absolutely agree with every single point you just made, except for one - well, the last. It's a bit unfair to compare Axe's "Era" (consisting of only one album) and Lopez's.

I think you're right, and I might not have really put that as clearly as I intended... It is unfair to judge Axe on Watershed, alone, when you've got a multitude of albums that Lopez played on. Axe definitely has potential. I suppose you could also refer some judgement regarding Axe to Bloodbath, which he's done awesome work with, and it also shows how well he plays straight out death metal.

So, I'll clarify a little and say that Lopez is my #1 choice for best Opeth drummer, but Martin Axenrot may potentially overtake that position, with time.

Thanks for quoting me and raising a good point along with it.
22.01.2011 - 14:41
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
The Grand Conjuration.
'nough said.
----
Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will.
25.01.2011 - 19:47
pazuzu
Axenrot is the best drummer, no doubt about it. He has the best technique, more feeling and tightness. I love Lopez as well, ofc.
26.01.2011 - 01:05
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I voted Lopez. Mostly because all my favourite Opeth material has him doing drums on it. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but the Opeth material took a slight dip with the Axenrot material.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.01.2011 - 03:50
Opeth fan
Since all of the albums are great, and one drummer has been on the majority of them, you have to pick Lopez. That isn't to say the other two suck, just aren't as established I guess
07.02.2011 - 21:25
DirkLizzard
Written by Deaths Madrigal on 19.01.2011 at 08:44

I think Lopez is the quintessential Opeth drummer. His style and capabilities were a dead match for what Opeth calls for. There is no denying that Axe is equally as awesome, but in a different way. Axe is incredible and for me personally, his best work is with Bloodbath. Lopez has no chance against Axe in the world of death metal drumming, but he is far more in tune for progressive metal. So basically, Lopez for Opeth and Axe for Bloodbath.

Fully agreed! Though I'm very interested how Axe's drumming style will develop when he's been a longer time with Opeth
----
I really want to here some intelligent melodic technical brutal shredding relieved by some serene atmospheric unsettling moments