Poll

Which is better?

Rhapsody Of Fire
Manowar

Total votes: 140
30.01.2011 - 20:34
Baz Anderson
Staff
This should be an interesting one. Manowar are the original cheeses, but Rhapsody came onto the scene over ten year ago, and made metal more bombastic and cheesy than anyone had seen before. Rhapsody were on Manowar's record label, but after some disputes which included a prevention from Rhapsody performing live - they finally managed to get away onto another label.

I can't help but feel that Manowar were not too pleased to be out-cheesed, hence the restrictions put on the band. But this is just speculation. Let's find out who people like more - the original, or the modern.
30.01.2011 - 20:38
Mikrokosmos
Account deleted
Rhapsody, more cheesy than Manowar? Rhapsody is about heroic fantasy, Swords & Magic world, that's not being cheesy (thought the first ones are really really naive imo). But seriously, nothing can be more cheesy than Manowar's "if you're not into metal, then you're not my friend".
30.01.2011 - 20:38
qlacs
"The Quaker"
They are really different, you should've choose another band for the comparison. Anyway, my vote goes for Manowar.
----
30.01.2011 - 21:03
Luneth
Account deleted
Rhapsody are nothing special in my opinion, few brilliant albums but they really bore me and I don't find myself ever looking to them when I wanna hear some Symphonic Power. But they still beat Manowar ¬¬
30.01.2011 - 21:07
Viltharis
viltharis@o2.pl
I don't like Manowar so it's simple what I voted for, but I think this bands shouldn't be compared. I agree with Glacs, you should chose another bands for comparison.
30.01.2011 - 21:14
Baz Anderson
Staff
Of course they are musically somewhat dissimilar - but I see Manowar as the cheese of the 80's and 90's, and Rhapsody as the cheese since the 00's.

Musically dissimilar, but just as bombastic as each other. I was just interested to know which band more people like these days. We'll see...
30.01.2011 - 21:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Rhapsody, by quite a long way! lol Ive yet to hear a single Manowar song that I like. Whereas Rhapsody have some great songs. xD
30.01.2011 - 23:23
farfaramir
Rhapsody by far ... But I haven't heard Manowar that much to judge (And I won't).
31.01.2011 - 00:09
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Rhapsody BY FAR. They are much more convincing. They both take themselves a bit more seriously than called for, but at least RoF aren't complete dickheads like Manowar. And also... Rhapsody are much more consistent in writing solid, fairly complex music. Just my two cents...
31.01.2011 - 00:15
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by farfaramir on 30.01.2011 at 23:23

Rhapsody by far ... But I haven't heard Manowar that much to judge (And I won't).

haha, me too. I used to loooooove Rhapsody. I still consider them the best power metal, but don't follow the genre anymore. Overall though I think Rhapsody are brilliant.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
31.01.2011 - 00:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 31.01.2011 at 00:09

Rhapsody BY FAR. They are much more convincing. They both take themselves a bit more seriously than called for, but at least RoF aren't complete dickheads like Manowar. And also... Rhapsody are much more consistent in writing solid, fairly complex music. Just my two cents...

100% agreed with this post! xD
31.01.2011 - 04:10
Black_Sheep
Rhapsody. They have some great songs, they have real talent and they can handle their instruments properly.

..Manowar has none of those things.
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
31.01.2011 - 08:47
Immortal SEP
Account deleted
Had glad MANOWAR their older things, you new already are not good. MANOWAR are for me dead. Latest albums MANOWAR don't serve with a notice almost listen, interchanged.
Therefore I prefer RHAPSODY OF FIRE the holds always that its standard.
31.01.2011 - 09:28
Baz Anderson
Staff
Manowar still have a chunk of votes, but no one that has voted for them has posted in here...
31.01.2011 - 12:14
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Rhapsody for sure.
But while I understand your point in comparing them both, I think they're somehow too different to really compare...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
31.01.2011 - 12:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Dream Evil are cheesier than Rhapsody, so maybe it would have been better for them to go up against Manowar.

Im actually surprised that Rhapsody are winning, and by quite a margin. I thought Manowar had more fans... lol
31.01.2011 - 13:12
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I have to vote for Rhapsody as well...first i really like their stuff, second after some time i had to think about, the band is way more sympathetic to me
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

31.01.2011 - 14:13
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Fabio is a superior vocalist, Turilli is a superior songwriter and guitarist, Rhapsody's album covers don't display photo-shopped band members who might as well be posing for Playgirl and Rhapsody songs are nerdy in a good way - who doesn't love D&D? Manowar are cheesy, Rhapsody are geeky - tell the difference.
31.01.2011 - 21:38
Nyoink
Manowar is true epic metal... rhapsody gets sooooo boring like Hammerfall or any other band like that...
rhapsody may be more melodic, but generally heavy metal> power metal for me
Just listen to bridge of death by Manowar or Hail and kill... just amazing
01.02.2011 - 01:44
O Sinistron
Hopeless Sinner
I say to you people listen to Manowar's Battle Hymns (The original album, not the MMXI)! It's simply amazing!
Pure Heavy Metal, ending with a power metal song that would reveal their future cheesy way to play!
Then listen to song 'Blow Your Speakers' from the album 'Fighting The World', a great rokc n' roll song!

After that they became very cheesy, but not as cheesy as Rhapsody!

I love RoF. But Manowar, for their past, is far, far better then Rhapsody!
----
Last.fm
01.02.2011 - 08:03
Kratos
Rhapsody for me. The vocals, guitar, bass, (and especially) the drums I find much superior to Manowar. I actually find Manowar so boring its almost painful, lol. Imo, of course.
01.02.2011 - 16:42
Khalan
I love Rhapsody of Fire, but I must confess that I haven't heard any songs made by Manowar. So I can't say which is better, therefore I just vote for RoF since it is a really great band.
02.02.2011 - 23:52
Beer Fairy
Definitely ManowaR! I just love that band
03.02.2011 - 14:14
RavenKing
Written by Black_Sheep on 31.01.2011 at 04:10

Rhapsody. They have some great songs, they have real talent and they can handle their instruments properly.

..Manowar has none of those things.

Manowar is one of the shittiest band ever and the one I hate the most in all the world (along with Metallica), so I would obviously choose Rhapsody.
I'm no Powermetal fan but Rhapsody's old stuff is not so bad. Their material since SOEL II is quite boring, however.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.03.2011 - 09:15
BloodFireDeath
Dude FUCK RoF. They are boring overproduced symphonic power metal that is too Italian for most to handle. Manowar is very good and consistent with their writing and ideology whereas RoF is all over the place. I prefer Manowar
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
14.03.2011 - 09:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BloodFireDeath on 14.03.2011 at 09:15

Manowar is very good and consistent with their writing and ideology whereas RoF is all over the place. I prefer Manowar

What ideology? How to suck the last penny out of your fans? How to be the biggest posers around?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.03.2011 - 09:19
BloodFireDeath
Have any of you actually LISTENED to Manowar? RoF can pull off some ASTOUNDING arrangements but the soul is lacking. They hide behind orchestras where as Manowar IS an orchestra. They have some very compelling renditions of classical pieces like Willam's Tale, Flight of the Bumblebee, and Nessun Dorma. I do DARE any of you Manowar haters to say they suck or are cheesy to their face. They would beat the fucking shit out of you. RoF had a whiny dispute not too long ago. Manowar would rather slit their own throats than be perceived as pathetic and they view their music the same way.
----
14.03.2011 - 09:21
BloodFireDeath
I seriously can't see RoF being bad ass in any way shape or form. I don't see either band as cheesy but Manowar to me is much more motivating whereas RoF is bloated and fat
----
14.03.2011 - 09:23
BloodFireDeath
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.03.2011 at 09:18

Written by BloodFireDeath on 14.03.2011 at 09:15

Manowar is very good and consistent with their writing and ideology whereas RoF is all over the place. I prefer Manowar

What ideology? How to suck the last penny out of your fans? How to be the biggest posers around?

I honestly dare you to say that to their face? How are they posers? Please explain to me in great detail? and do remember this is NOT the special olympics so you probably not win and feel good.
----
14.03.2011 - 09:25
BloodFireDeath
I gotta say this debate is making me want to thoroughly indulge in RoF's discography just because I feel like I need to know it more. Who knows what pleasures I could obtain from digging deeper into their music.
----