06. An Infinite Mind
07. Watcher Of The Skies
08. The Distance
09. Deep Cold

Top 20 albums of 2011: 5

Guest review by
Windrider
Rating:
I know, very few albums deserve the rating you can see on the left, but trust me, I could only think of two or three more that would. Omnium Gatherum have showed me another dimension of metal music that is both strange and awesome. New World Shadows cannot be compared to other bands or albums. Of course I could name a few out of the melodic death and gothenburg genre, but even if I would, one could not even think of how this record sounds like. People have to listen to it, there is no other way to explain the music, since it is that complex and original. Hailing from Finland, Omnium Gatherum created their final breakthrough with New World Shadows, a nine-song album that runs for about 52 minutes.

Read more ››
published 07.05.2011 | Comments (32)

Found in 90 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 117   Visited by: 2106 users
12.03.2011 - 18:32
Reza
Account deleted
Written by dioDEATH on 26.02.2011 at 11:07

Spirits and August Light is great, but New World Shadows is even greater !

Totally agreed !
14.03.2011 - 15:50
Rating: 10
Alexbridger
This album is best of the best/2011
17.03.2011 - 00:43
BehzadSh
Great Album, they are getting better and better.... Rock on!
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
20.03.2011 - 11:53
morsus
2011 will be an incredibly competitive year in metal. many great bands release new records. having said that, i still believe and hope this will be in the top 5!
22.03.2011 - 06:25
Rating: 7
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
To be honest this album was alright. It's one saving grace was for the most part utilization of beautiful melodies augmented by some wel placed echo through production. Some songs did feel kind of generic, although "Nova Flame" sounded like a Dark Tranquility song to me. I was kind of disappointed that the rest of the album didn't sound like "Everfield", but the album is sandwiched between 2 epic tracks so I can't really complain.
30.03.2011 - 21:03
Rating: 7
Laze
Well, to me this great band is ruined by the tentative and utterly bland vocals. The vocals just don't fit in the otherwise melodic and atmospheric music these guys create.

Just my opinion though... but with better vocals, this album would deserve a 9 or a 10.
----
Always looking for some new tones between the black and the white.
09.04.2011 - 18:48
Rating: 8
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I think the back half of the album is much better than the front half. All in all it's a pretty decent release. I am a melo/prog fan so this melts my butter...
----
rekt
09.04.2011 - 22:45
Aeonfrost
Favourite songs from the album, its just too many, loved every aspect of the album, Its blows away amon amarth's surtur rising, should be heavily favoured for best melo death album, if not best overall album.
15.04.2011 - 20:26
Rating: 9
DarkokraD
Written by Aeonfrost on 09.04.2011 at 22:45

Favourite songs from the album, its just too many, loved every aspect of the album, Its blows away amon amarth's surtur rising, should be heavily favoured for best melo death album, if not best overall album.

That might be so but the new Insomnium album is also planned for the end of the year... My guess is it will blow past all other releases from this year...
16.04.2011 - 19:46
neonxaos
I've been listening to this on a daily basis for two months, and I never tire of it. If only the second half of the album was a strong as the first, this would be an almost perfect album.
29.04.2011 - 22:39
The Galactician
What the heck are they putting in the water over there in Finland? It's rare that songs get stuck on my head based on one listen alone, but that's exactly what happened with this record. Absolutely fantastic work.
01.05.2011 - 18:17
Alexbridger
PERFECT ALBUM !!!
02.05.2011 - 18:01
Windrider
Raureif
Fuck what an awesome album, this just leaves me speechless... Somehow but strange and new..
04.05.2011 - 07:49
JCJen7
I saw possibly one of the funniest comments on one of this band's videos on Youtube.
It was something along the lines of....

"Its refreshing to see a death metal bands with album/song titles that don't resemble a crushed spider."

Just thought I would share
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
04.05.2011 - 11:09
calebSA
The Best album of this year till May
05.05.2011 - 02:25
Rating: 4
Fallen
For Melodic Death Metal its better than most of the Children of Bodom and Norther copiests/wannabe's you see today but musically speaking it really doesn't hold any value to me. I find it extremely boring and unorigional not only musically but lyrically as well.
06.05.2011 - 04:17
The Voyager
The Table
Well, after one listen I'm a little disappointed, I guess. It's really good, but it doesn't really have any qualities that make me go "wow". Just melodic death, more or less. Nothing too special in my eyes. After more listens that may change, but I doubt it. A tad overhyped I think.
06.05.2011 - 06:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by The Voyager on 06.05.2011 at 04:17

Well, after one listen I'm a little disappointed, I guess. It's really good, but it doesn't really have any qualities that make me go "wow". Just melodic death, more or less. Nothing too special in my eyes. After more listens that may change, but I doubt it. A tad overhyped I think.

Totally agreed. I'm still not sure how such a "typical" release receives so much praise. No "wow" factor indeed...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.05.2011 - 16:22
Yugosaki
I saw them last night live, they were great
----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEBpRWr2IA
08.05.2011 - 11:50
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.05.2011 at 06:00

Totally agreed. I'm still not sure how such a "typical" release receives so much praise. No "wow" factor indeed...

Some say the same about Be'lakor's Stone's Reach Neither that nor New World Shadows are "typical" releases, they stand out of the masses because of sheer quality and a tad bit of originality.
08.05.2011 - 17:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Risto on 08.05.2011 at 11:50

Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.05.2011 at 06:00

Some say the same about Be'lakor's Stone's Reach Neither that nor New World Shadows are "typical" releases, they stand out of the masses because of sheer quality and a tad bit of originality.

I'm a huge fan of Stone's Reach, but there are major differences between that album and this one. The atmosphere, the song structures, the poetic lyrics, and I think the overall speed makes a huge difference. Be'lakor operate on a more depressive or "doomy" level, they don't rip through songs and things tend to take time to develop within each song, whereas OG play a more typical "Gothenburg" style.

You're basically comparing sorrow with aggression. and to be honest OG haven't stepped too far out of their comfort zone - so I'm not sure why this album is being heralded as one of 2011's best when their back catalog is more impressive.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.05.2011 - 20:36
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.05.2011 at 17:42

I'm a huge fan of Stone's Reach, but there are major differences between that album and this one. The atmosphere, the song structures, the poetic lyrics, and I think the overall speed makes a huge difference. Be'lakor operate on a more depressive or "doomy" level, they don't rip through songs and things tend to take time to develop within each song, whereas OG play a more typical "Gothenburg" style.

Stylistical differences have nothing to do with them both kicking ass This is obviously something special according to the majority of melodeath fans, you being at the position of giving them the sixes and sevens. Similarly, there's people thinking the same of SR.

Quote:
You're basically comparing sorrow with aggression. and to be honest OG haven't stepped too far out of their comfort zone - so I'm not sure why this album is being heralded as one of 2011's best when their back catalog is more impressive.

It leaves a good first impression on people who check out the band on a constant basis, judging from my experiences. It's catchy and something that can't really be mistaken of. And speaking of comfort zone... they broke out of it already with the Redshift.
09.05.2011 - 13:35
Timmeh
Dudeman
Took me a few spins to get into, it definitely doesn't match up to the quality of a 'Stone's Reach' but has enough moments to make it a good release in the genre. The vocals don't particularly represent the music very well and the rhythm is often uneccessarily dissonant.
10.05.2011 - 02:06
The Voyager
The Table

I'm generally not one to begin arguments about music, particularly on the Internet, but what exactly do you find original about this album? It's very, very standard melodic death metal to my ears. Good, but standard. I'm not hearing anything I haven't heard before here.
10.05.2011 - 09:55
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by The Voyager on 10.05.2011 at 02:06

I'm generally not one to begin arguments about music, particularly on the Internet, but what exactly do you find original about this album? It's very, very standard melodic death metal to my ears. Good, but standard. I'm not hearing anything I haven't heard before here.

Calling "An Infinite Mind" standard melodeath is quite picky "Soul Journeys" is also worth mentioning but it's more about creating atmosphere in a distinct way compared to many other bands in the scene. The album is obviously not a parade of originality, but when music is of high quality it's usually enough to stand out nowadays.
17.05.2011 - 19:22
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
I finally got the chance to listen to this. I wouldn't be comparing this to Stone's Reach at all. Just look at it as melodic death metal with the occasional little surprising instrumental from a keyboard or something like that. How anyone could rate this a 10 in originality completely confounds me. The songs themselves are sturdy, but it is relatively easy to achieve a good album simply by ensuring all songs have appropriate song structures and just...rock. This is typical Gothenburg to me and by NO MEANS a best album of the year. Scary enough, however, this is one of the better albums I have heard this year. 2011 needs to seriously pick up the quality... : (
25.05.2011 - 15:51
Vonpire
What a overrated album!

It's a good album, but only that! And in originality it deserves a 1 ...
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
25.05.2011 - 16:32
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Vonpire on 25.05.2011 at 15:51

What a overrated album!

so when something is not original it gets a "1" in originality...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
25.05.2011 - 16:53
Vonpire
Written by Deadmeat on 25.05.2011 at 16:32

What a overrated album!

?

How much originality you think there is in this album? In cas you didn't notice i put ... in front of it, it means "sarcasm", duh

I'll tell you , none.

In case you didn't notice i rated it with a 8. But telling this is somewhat original is a sad joke.
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
25.05.2011 - 17:42
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Vonpire on 25.05.2011 at 16:53

Written by Deadmeat on 25.05.2011 at 16:32

What a overrated album!

?

How much originality you think there is in this album? In cas you didn't notice i put ... in front of it, it means "sarcasm", duh

I'll tell you , none.

In case you didn't notice i rated it with a 8. But telling this is somewhat original is a sad joke.

no this wasnt my point. i meant that when an album has low originality it doesnt mean that it get a "1" on originality... generally we agree..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!

Hits total: 40567 | This month: 68