Metal Storm logo
Slayer - Frontman Hospitalized In Australia (UPDATED)

Original news, posted on 27.02.2011

Slayer frontman Tom Araya has been hospitalized in Sydney, forcing the band to cancel tonight's set at Soundwave Festival.

No details about Araya's injury or illness have been released, but the decision to cancel was made just moments before the band was due to hit the stage at the Sydney Showgrounds tonight, February 27th.

Just before 6pm, festival promoter AJ Maddah tweeted: "Tom Araya has been taken to hospital. Slayer set looking unlikely today " but within five minutes "unlikely" had been upgraded to a confirmation of the band's cancellation with Maddah confirming that Araya will be kept in hospital overnight, forcing the cancelation of the band's set.

Araya's unexplained illness isn't the only medical issue for Slayer at the moment. The thrash metal veterans are touring with Exodus guitarist Gary Holt standing in for regular Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman who is recovering from surgery on his right arm.

According to Maddah, Araya "will be OK" for Slayer's next scheduled performance at Soundwave in Melbourne on Saturday 4th March.

Araya underwent back surgery in early 2010 forcing the band to stay away from the live circuit for several months.

UPDATE

A severe ear infection is the reason Slayer's Tom Araya was hospitalised yesterday and why the band had to cancel their Sydney Soundwave slot.

Tom's wife, Sandra, told the fans on Facebook that her husband is feeling much better, but it will be a few days before the test results are back.

The iconic Slayer frontman was kept at the hospital overnight but has reportedly been released earlier today.

Source: fasterlouder.com.au
Band profile: Slayer
Event: Soundwave Festival 2011
Posted: 28.02.2011 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 33   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 651 users
27.02.2011 - 11:48
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
As metal grows old it is very funny as i feel that i like music from my grandfathers! haahahhahahaha!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
27.02.2011 - 12:03
BudDa
Elite
Araya has continued to be sick. What really is the problem?
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
27.02.2011 - 12:08
Tranquillizer
Account deleted
Damn... Health problems just coming one after another for Slayer.

It would have been nice if they just gave some basic information of the seriousness of his condition and not make us wonder is it, for example, just food poisoning or a heart attack. Anyway, hope both Tom and Jeff get well soon.
27.02.2011 - 12:12
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Fuck man. i think Slayer should take a goddamned break from touring. so many health problems, especially for Araya.. these guys need some time off.
27.02.2011 - 12:22
kaos666
Weird...after every Brisbane show in the last couple years Slayer has toured Australia, Tom Araya has had a medical condition! =P
27.02.2011 - 12:23
Athropos
Burning inside
Very bad moment for Slayer, I hope things will get better soon.
27.02.2011 - 12:36
Kingface
They're not having much luck are they? Wonder if it just a run of bad luck or a way of their bodies telling them they need to have a break.
27.02.2011 - 12:45
MechanisT
Account deleted
Man, to say that Slayer is going through tough times is an understatement...
Anyways, hope he fully recovers...
27.02.2011 - 13:53
Vombatus
Potorro
Meh, these things are to expect for any band that started early 80'.... members get old, have health problems and eventually die. Sad but shit happens.
27.02.2011 - 14:28
RavenKing
Written by Valentin B on 27.02.2011 at 12:12

Fuck man. i think Slayer should take a goddamned break from touring. so many health problems, especially for Araya.. these guys need some time off.

I think Slayer are getting too old for touring and playing music as physically demanding as their own.
They're not playing slow/mid-paced metal like Iron Maiden, Motorhead, etc. And I think it's not a kind of music they will be able to play live at 55-60, so they will have to stop playing live at some point because they will be unable to play their set.

@Vombatus: I totally agree.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
27.02.2011 - 14:32
Timmeh
Dudeman
Jeez, if I were Lombardo or King I'd be running for cover haha.
27.02.2011 - 15:30
CHEF METALHEAD
KEEP IT METAL
Stay off the pain pills.... Lortab addiction is a bitch!!!!
----
Chef Metal Head
27.02.2011 - 15:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by RavenKing on 27.02.2011 at 14:28

I think Slayer are getting too old for touring and playing music as physically demanding as their own.
They're not playing slow/mid-paced metal like Iron Maiden, Motorhead, etc. And I think it's not a kind of music they will be able to play live at 55-60, so they will have to stop playing live at some point because they will be unable to play their set.

i don't doubt them being able to play anymore, it's not like they move around the stage a lot anyway(and performance is not that big an issue, except maybe for Araya's voice), the problem in my opinion is their enormously demanding tour schedule. during the past year they've had almost 90 shows during the past 9 months (according to their official website), or one show every other 3 days on average. that's absolutely enormous for a band of their age and fame-level, and unfortunately many people are already tired of seeing Slayer in concert(i've already done so twice last year). they're not doing the band's legacy (and neither the fans) a favor by playing more and more tiring and health-consuming tours.

i mean, either they REALLY love touring, or they REALLY want the money that comes with gigs(which is quite a lot i believe, especially for big open-air shows).
27.02.2011 - 16:02
Mechanixxxx
I hate starting my day with sad news. Hopefuly he'll be fine.
27.02.2011 - 16:29
SlaytanicGonzo
Ok, this sucks. First Jeff, now Tom.
May Satan heal you!
27.02.2011 - 17:04
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted

Agreed. Playing music like that is bound to take a toll someone.
27.02.2011 - 17:23
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Damn, all of them have been sick on the last two years, except for Dave Lombardo, makes me wonder if he will be the next one to be hospitalized
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
27.02.2011 - 17:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 27.02.2011 at 17:04

Agreed. Playing music like that is bound to take a toll someone.

as i said a while above, i'm not saying the music is too difficult(it's not, or maybe just Araya's vocals but that's it), it's mostly about them continuing this unhealthy lifestyle that's causing all these problems(along with, let's face it, old age)
27.02.2011 - 17:54
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 27.02.2011 at 15:40

unfortunately many people are already tired of seeing Slayer in concert

Bollocks. There's no such thing as seeing Slayer live too many times.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
27.02.2011 - 20:15
RavenKing

Written by RavenKing on 27.02.2011 at 14:28

i don't doubt them being able to play anymore

I know they still can do it but I think they won't be able to do it ten years from now or so.
They will be too old to play that fast.
----
27.02.2011 - 20:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Thryce on 27.02.2011 at 17:54

Yes there is because 90% of the times they aren't too good live any more any way.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.02.2011 - 21:51
Mad Mike
Knowing these guys, they'll probably keep touring till they all die. (Insert The Who reference here _________ )

I mean, how would you rather want to die? In an old age home being fed jello while shitting in a pan and feeling completely useless? Or would you rather die doing what you love to do? Just saying...
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
27.02.2011 - 22:26
RavenKing
Written by Mad Mike on 27.02.2011 at 21:51

Knowing these guys, they'll probably keep touring till they all die. (Insert The Who reference here _________ )

I mean, how would you rather want to die? In an old age home being fed jello while shitting in a pan and feeling completely useless? Or would you rather die doing what you love to do? Just saying...

Perhaps, but you seem to neglect that it's not yours to decide sometimes. They can get simply too sick to tour or play live. It can't be summarized by your generalization when it comes to health issues. It's more complex than that.

Do you really believe most people in old age homes have chozen this fate? No. It happened like that and they have only 2 choices: accepting their sad fate or committing suicide. And some of them don't even have the possibility to choose the latter option.

And I think they will get too sick or weak to carry on long before playing live can kill them, most likely.
----
27.02.2011 - 22:30
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.02.2011 at 20:31

Yes there is because 90% of the times they aren't too good live any more any way.

Crap. He used a percentage, so his argument must be right.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
27.02.2011 - 22:34
RavenKing
Written by Thryce on 27.02.2011 at 22:30

But you were the first to state your opinion as fact.
Anyway, you're one of those who can't accept it when people don't think like you.

Thanks for bringing your great contribution one more time.
----
27.02.2011 - 22:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Thryce on 27.02.2011 at 22:30

Tbh it's actually 89.267% of the times
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.02.2011 - 22:54
arj
Damn, hope he'll be alright for the European tour.
27.02.2011 - 23:47
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by arj on 27.02.2011 at 22:54

Damn, hope he'll be alright for the European tour.

Yes, I have my ticket for their show here and with all these injuries news, I'm getting worried.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
28.02.2011 - 00:12
Mad Mike
Written by RavenKing on 27.02.2011 at 22:26

Written by Mad Mike on 27.02.2011 at 21:51

Perhaps, but you seem to neglect that it's not yours to decide sometimes. They can get simply too sick to tour or play live. It can't be summarized by your generalization when it comes to health issues. It's more complex than that.

Do you really believe most people in old age homes have chozen this fate? No. It happened like that and they have only 2 choices: accepting their sad fate or committing suicide. And some of them don't even have the possibility to choose the latter option.

And I think they will get too sick or weak to carry on long before playing live can kill them, most likely.

I guess I can't really speak for the band themselves, but since I am from a blue collar family, the ''work till you die'' mentality is prominent around me. And I sense a similar type of mentality in bands like Slayer and Motorhead and such, so it's merely a personal view on it. But hey, if they feel they can't do it anymore and want to retire, then it's their business.
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
28.02.2011 - 13:02
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by Guest on 27.02.2011 at 12:08

Damn... Health problems just coming one after another for Slayer.

It would have been nice if they just gave some basic information of the seriousness of his condition and not make us wonder is it, for example, just food poisoning or a heart attack. Anyway, hope both Tom and Jeff get well soon.

Seriously, can't get a break. Hope it's nothing serious, Tom's an all time great and I'd hate to lose him. My Prayers go out to him (since he's Catholic and all. )
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.

Hits total: 9571 | This month: 12