Metal Storm logo
MSv4 Is Online

The new Metal Storm version is now online, just in time for the closing of the MS Awards! Quite a few things changed in the layout, but hopefully it won't present a challenge - we tried to keep things simple.

Navigation menu is now on the top, with the login/user and search menus. Instead of two sidebars, there's now only one. Several things from the old layout are missing, but some of them will come back (New releases/Top 200 in the sidebar). Other things will be adjusted with time.

It's now also possible to register/login with Facebook. If you want to connect your account to Facebook account, go to the 'Edit profile' page and enter your Facebook ID there. After that logging in will be a single-click thing.

Many of you will probably miss the old Metal Storm and wonder if the changes were really necessary - but here at MS we continue moving forward, and this is the look of Metal Storm for the 2010's.

EDIT: New layout settings added: Collapse header and Hide scroller - you can adjust them in your Settings. Also, left menu panels are now collapsible, and the opened tabs are saved in cookies for the next session.

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 28.02.2011 by Ivan

Comments page 3 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 145   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 455 users
28.02.2011 - 22:08
ruffio
Not going to lie, this is disapointing. The main reason I made an account origninally was because I liked the layout (compared to other sites). Might be a low blow, but this new one reminds me of myspace just a bit.
28.02.2011 - 22:09
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by ruffio on 28.02.2011 at 22:08

Not going to lie, this is disapointing. The main reason I made an account origninally was because I liked the layout. Might be a low blow, but this new one reminds me of myspace just a bit.

Heaven forbid it looking like Myspace. Wonder why so many people are attracted to Myspace...hmm, what could it be? Let's dig deep, think hard and come up with answers. Give me a fucking break.
28.02.2011 - 22:15
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
One more thing: is this new layout going to be modular/adjustable in the future? You could choose if you wanted to see reviews/news/top albums of 20xx in the big scroll bar on the front page. Similar thing could be made with the left bar - choose to always see news instead of interviews, now online instead of events etc.

Written by Elodie Artour on 28.02.2011 at 22:04

Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 28.02.2011 at 22:02

Written by Elodie Artour on 28.02.2011 at 21:59

Okay, now that I've calmed down, everything looks much better, haha. I've definitely got used to the new layout already. By the way, thank Satan all letters are bigger!

You like this size of letters?
I find them too big. My eyes start to tire very fast if I don't move away from the monitor more than usual (but maybe the fact I've been playing Minecraft the whole day doesn't help ).

I wear glasses and I've previously complained about the small size of letters (on the last version.)

Don't know for other browsers, but in Firefox you can press CTRL + scroll wheel and zoom the page in or out.

My main concern now is that they are either too big (default) or too small (zoomed out).
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
28.02.2011 - 22:26
Elodie Artour
Slania
@Zmaj: Yeah, I'm also able to zoom in and out. (I use Google Chrome.)
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
28.02.2011 - 22:31
fazzeh
Not sure if I like it yet, it's quite chaotic...
28.02.2011 - 22:33
Nimlot
A. Reader
LOVE IT!
28.02.2011 - 22:34
Justicelust
Written by Ellrohir on 28.02.2011 at 20:48

Written by Lucas on 28.02.2011 at 20:45

Written by Ellrohir on 28.02.2011 at 20:44

Go fuck yourselves with this stupidest update i have ever experienced anywhere

Hi. You may want to tone it down a little. We still have a moderation team, you know.

you have just ruined almost 4 years i have spend as a Metal Storm member...i dont give a shit if i am banned or not...as i already said in shoutbox - this site is dead to me now

Hey man! what is wrong with you? If you are truly a metalhead, you shouldn't leave this site just for the desine change, I know it is somehow wierd but we must go with it. Sometimes change is necessary.
28.02.2011 - 22:37
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Caught me by surprise at first. I think the one big problem is that there's only one sidebar so all comments/text/etc. are positioned to the left rather than centered. It makes it really frustrating to read as I can't look straight at my screen now. Other than that it looks good, just gonna take some time to get used to.
28.02.2011 - 22:39
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
For those complaining about the large font: try " Ctrl - "
28.02.2011 - 22:42
Abattoir
Staff
I think that this new design looks pretty fine and refreshing...and I don't find to be any problems with it.
28.02.2011 - 22:44
Justicelust
Written by >Odysseus on 28.02.2011 at 22:07

Isn't the font a little large ?
i liked it when it was more compact

yes i can feel it, it is a little larger.
The bigger the font the better we see. Isn't it?
28.02.2011 - 22:48
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Justicelust on 28.02.2011 at 22:44

NO! You must not use any logic when people are complaining about change!
28.02.2011 - 22:52
MetalSpider
It was quite the shock at first but I like it. Its nicely laid out and larger (not that I had trouble seeing anything before).

It looks good on my iPhone...much better than it used to thats for sure!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
28.02.2011 - 22:53
Valentin B
Iconoclast
MSv4... i like the sound of that, especially since i've been a member since MSv2
28.02.2011 - 22:54
RafaRata
I like it.
28.02.2011 - 23:03
Vrana
Don't really like it, it's chaotic. But oh well,...
28.02.2011 - 23:07
>Odysseus
Written by [user id=107773] on 28.02.2011 at 22:48

LOL , i have to admit , good point
it just looks messy when it's in big letters ... looked more organized when it was smaller
i'm sure we'll get used to it in a short time
28.02.2011 - 23:07
Veertje
Meh, not sure yet if I like it. The top banner thingie is awesome, but maybe a bit too big. The huge reviews next to the logo are awfull though, might be better to just make the 'real' content of the site start there, in stead of 500 pixels lower...

It'll take some getting used to.
28.02.2011 - 23:09
ANGEL REAPER
So far so good,great job chaps !
\m/
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
28.02.2011 - 23:10
hadriel
Looks great! Love it so far. What exactly does the fb connectivity do though???
28.02.2011 - 23:11
rpsgc
I feel like I want to murder MSv4 with a blunt axe and feed its dismembered limbs to a drove of starving pigs.

Another great site tainted by the horrible new trend of "look at me I'm so hip I have CrapBook integration and big letters with huge ass buttons and s%#t".
Whatever happened to simple is better?
28.02.2011 - 23:11
Justicelust
Written by [user id=107773] on 28.02.2011 at 22:48

Ok. but what did I say?! I just gave my opinion.
I have no prolem with this change, we'll get used to it.
28.02.2011 - 23:13
neonxaos
Hmm, seems like my technical problem disappeared on its own... things are aligned better now. Maybe my cache was not cleared. Time to get used to the new look...
28.02.2011 - 23:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Even though the bar at the top with the reviews look very fancy and pretty... I think it's very useless if there's already a list of reviews on the left. Then again, that bar at the top nly appears in "home", but still... it's useless fellas.

Every other change I think it's fine... And I will probably think it's great after a couple of weeks (I'm sure many will feel the same way after a while). I'm also aware that there's still a lot of stuff to do since this just happened today. I'm excited to know how it will be when it get's done.

My veredict: I'm fine with the changes... Except with the bar at the top with the reviews.. Looks pretty, fancu and all the good adjectives EXCEPT "useful"... It's not useful at all.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.02.2011 - 23:21
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
What's wrong with letting people use both layouts as they like? Seems you can't go without the infamous web 2.0 look anymore. Sad to see that even MS feels the need to catch up with the other guys. I'm not a facebook user but from what I've seen of it, much of the elements seem to be derived from ones seen there. The thing about metalstorm (v3 as I now know) was it's simple elegance. It was wasting a lot of space at the top, yes, but all in all it was very organized and clean. Now there's Javascript everywhere. And not the subtle stuff there was before but huge, bloated, in-your-face stuff that makes you close a website you stumble upon while browsing just when you found it. And just reducing the font size doesn't cut it either beause buttons, margins and everything else will stay big. I've been setting my monitors to 75dpi for years, not for applications or websites to dictate font- and icon sizes upon me. That's what every web-designer has to learn. Don't force things on people, they won't like it.

So my point is, since MS is written in php, just offer both versions. I don't mind having to extend the URL I'm visiting with an extra /index2.php or something. Just don't force users to look at buttons larger than even the Windows taskbar. It's a big waste of screen real-estate. And this is coming from the user of a tiling windowmanager with vimperator in Firefox to save as much of that as possible, on three monitors. This here looks like browsing on an old 640-480 CRT.

Edit: Also it seems there are some old settings still there that don't have any effect now like the folding of members in the "who's online" list.
----
28.02.2011 - 23:22
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.02.2011 at 23:14

Even though the bar at the top with the reviews look very fancy and pretty... I think it's very useless if there's already a list of reviews on the left. Then again, that bar at the top nly appears in "home", but still... it's useless fellas.

Every other change I think it's fine... And I will probably think it's great after a couple of weeks (I'm sure many will feel the same way after a while). I'm also aware that there's still a lot of stuff to do since this just happened today. I'm excited to know how it will be when it get's done.

My veredict: I'm fine with the changes... Except with the bar at the top with the reviews.. Looks pretty, fancu and all the good adjectives EXCEPT "useful"... It's not useful at all.

We wanted to highlight these articles a bit more than before. We used to have +/- 20 reviews on the frontpage, with only one image. Now we have 2, with a couple more easily accessible. Much better imo.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.02.2011 - 23:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Lucas on 28.02.2011 at 23:22

We wanted to highlight these articles a bit more than before. We used to have +/- 20 reviews on the frontpage, with only one image. Now we have 2, with a couple more easily accessible. Much better imo.

Well, maybe you're right. I'm fully aware that there's still a lot of stuff to do and also like I said before "there's some stuff I think it's ok... which I will probably think it's great after a while" the fancy bar is also included.

Overall I think it's fine, I agree with you... Changes are not easy. We can also see this on the bright side: If people bitch so much about it, it means that they really friggin love this site... They just don't know how to express their love on another way than just writting "go fuck yourselves"
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.02.2011 - 23:30
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.02.2011 at 23:25

Overall I think it's fine, I agree with you... Changes are not easy. We can also see this on the bright side: If people bitch so much about it, it means that they really friggin love this site... They just don't know how to express their love on another way than just writting "go fuck yourselves"

Haha yeah that's true. In a way, it is a compliment that people are taking all this to heart. We expected a lot of surprised, praising and critical reactions at the same time... that's why we've been saying to everyone to be patient for some time and just browse around for a bit.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.02.2011 - 23:39
skatmat
I love this new layout, and the bigger text is much more comfortable to read. Nice work! (:
28.02.2011 - 23:43
Vikcen
Metálico
I find the new look and feel very good: fresh, modern, more elegant and more coherent, it is necessary to change for a website after the years, i am sure that users appreciate a bit of freshness =).

For example, before it wasn't coherent the right sidebar, because according to the functionality that you were seeing, you could see the right sidebar and other times it didn't appear, so it was not coherent. Now you have one sidebar in the left where you can see everything.

And, well, the new functionality of Facebook (i'm not very friend of this things), i guess it is necessary according to the current times =), sure it will attract new users hehe.

Congratulations, very successful changes.

Hits total: 7382 | This month: 2