The best Doom Metal album of 2011

Line-up
Patrick Walker - guitar, vocals
Christian Leitch - drums, percussion
William Spong - bass, percussion

Staff review by
BitterCOld
Rating:
When last we left Pat Walker he was playing guitar and providing heart-wrenching vocals for Warning on the powerful Watching From A Distance album. That album found itself on many staff "best of the 00's" lists. Then things fell through. Band imploded. Kablooey.

Four years later Pat Walker is back with two new mates, bassist William Spong and drummer Christian Leitch, a new band, 40 Watt Sun, and a new album, The Inside Room.

Read more ››
published 21.04.2011 | Comments (34)

If you have been paying any attention at all, you know that 40 Watt Sun is the reincarnation of the now-defunct Warning (and if you don't even know who Warning is, gtfo). Let me tell you, Patrick Walker once again delivers: the atmosphere is, well, you'll just have to experience for yourself. The mandatory stuff for every self-loathing doom fan.

Thryce's picks | More picks ››

Found in 42 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 88   Visited by: 728 users
14.02.2012 - 17:12
Fredd
Account deleted
I was expecting a Watching--- pt II. Close enoguh, but where have those amazing vocals gone?
This is some good doom, though.
14.02.2012 - 22:08
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 14.02.2012 at 17:12

I was expecting a Watching--- pt II. Close enoguh, but where have those amazing vocals gone?
This is some good doom, though.

I think the vocals are perfect here, turning down the dramatic effect a bit was a good choice for this album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.02.2012 - 23:00
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.02.2012 at 22:08

I think the vocals are perfect here, turning down the dramatic effect a bit was a good choice for this album.

Yes, it suits this album. But then I was hoping for an album on which the "dramatic" vocals would be fit.
12.03.2012 - 22:12
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Gotta chance to listen to this finally. I was skeptical but I can see myself digging this band. You'll think I'm weird but the "sound" reminds me of Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream and the vocals a JK Broadrick clone...
----
rekt
31.03.2012 - 09:49
Rating: 9
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I love this album, especially 'Restless' and 'Carry Me Home'. My only complaint is the distortion on the guitars kind of flattens the sound... kind of only predominantly hear the vocals and dzzzzz noise. It's not bad, just a bit over the top i think.
31.03.2012 - 14:43
Druss
Amazing album, the album that got me into doom (for some reason, had it in my mind before this that doom was always extreme). Can't wait for the next helping of Patrick's vocals.
07.04.2012 - 23:45
InnerSelf
proofread free
A bonus track
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
22.05.2012 - 00:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by tea[m]ster on 12.03.2012 at 22:12
You'll think I'm weird but the "sound" reminds me of Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream and the vocals a JK Broadrick clone...

You are not weird, you are just deaf my friend I can't speak for Smashing Pumpkins as I never cared for them but there's no way you can listen to Pat Walker's vocals and tell me they sound like Broadrick. Unless there's some weird Jesu bootleg where the dude all of a sudden wanted to sing doom metal even then the tone of the voice, everything is completely different. The only connection to Broadrick I can here is (just like Craig wrote in his review) the really fuzzy production that reminds me of Jesu, but just the music... Definitely not the vocals.

... And I thought one of my friends who thought about Alice In Chains with the vocals was weird.
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.05.2012 - 00:35
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Still haven't checked this out.

I can say that's a kickass bandname though.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.06.2012 - 13:57
Rating: 7
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Boxcar Willy on 22.05.2012 at 00:35

Still haven't checked this out.

I can say that's a kickass bandname though.

You should do. It's very emotional and very free-flowing.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
15.10.2012 - 03:12
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Excellent debut! It really mellows me out.
28.04.2013 - 22:48
Rating: 5
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Okay, I've tried enjoying it even if I'm not into doom (except classic Black Sabbath and Candlemass maybe) as everyone here in MS was all over this. I managed to enjoy some of the vocals, the underlying melodies, and that sums it up.
----
29.04.2013 - 02:23
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by qlacs on 28.04.2013 at 22:48

Okay, I've tried enjoying it even if I'm not into doom (except classic Black Sabbath and Candlemass maybe) as everyone here in MS was all over this. I managed to enjoy some of the vocals, the underlying melodies, and that sums it up.

Did you try Warning beforehand?
18.01.2014 - 02:42
Alondate
I dont generally listen doom metal but this band is a great exception for me. My favorite song is carry me home and all other songs are good too except between times which is a terrible song
03.03.2014 - 16:55
Gawain
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 12.03.2012 at 22:12

Gotta chance to listen to this finally. I was skeptical but I can see myself digging this band. You'll think I'm weird but the "sound" reminds me of Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream and the vocals a JK Broadrick clone...

damn that album.. I remember finding it in my dads collection when I was around 12 and I loved it. I put disarm on repeat for 10 times per day... thank you for reminding me that

anyways.. this album is excellent, of course it has similarities to Warning but not so many, the sound is much more approachable for many than Watching From A Distance.

I love all the tracks especially Restless and Carry Me Home which is one of my favorite traditional doom songs !
03.03.2014 - 19:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.03.2014 at 19:37

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Yeah, I just... I can't even begin with you. I give up.

It's been argued that this album has a Jesu-esque feel in terms of the music, but the vocals sounding like Broadrick? I don't think so. Not in this life time.
03.03.2014 - 19:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 03.03.2014 at 19:39

Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.03.2014 at 19:37

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Yeah, I just... I can't even begin with you. I give up.

It's been argued that this album has a Jesu-esque feel in terms of the music, but the vocals sounding like Broadrick? I don't think so. Not in this life time.

If you are wondering why I deleted my post. It's because I already commented on it months ago and totally forgot it. But oh well. XD I haven't heard Smashin Pumpkins enough to see if the sound is similar but I can already take a bet that it's not similar at all.
----
Rod, let me love you.
03.03.2014 - 19:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.03.2014 at 19:41

If you are wondering why I deleted my post. It's because I already commented on it months ago and totally forgot it. But oh well. XD

I hadn't noticed. Oh well, I can't be arsed to delete my reply
03.03.2014 - 19:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 03.03.2014 at 19:42

Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.03.2014 at 19:41

If you are wondering why I deleted my post. It's because I already commented on it months ago and totally forgot it. But oh well. XD

I hadn't noticed. Oh well, I can't be arsed to delete my reply

Nah, it's ok. Not your fault that my memory blows.
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.05.2014 - 20:15
Kraterr
Account deleted
.. Wow, after Warning I didn't expect this to reach anywhere near that.. but they did it to some extent.

Great vocals, different from Warning's, for the people that said Warning had stupid vocals this should at least satisfy you, if not then I seriously don't care.
Songs: My god.. Open My Eyes and Carry Me Home just hit me and make me depressed in a good non-depressing way (wat). The first half of Restless is also excellent, but the latter kinda fucks it up for me.

A 9/10, epic effort after Warning's masterpiece. Can't wait for their next album
23.08.2014 - 22:32
Dr. Strawberry
This album is very Anathema (with heavier bass).
Called it straight out Doom Metal is a bit far fetched. Progressive Doom Metal ?
23.08.2014 - 22:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Progressive?

----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.08.2014 - 22:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.08.2014 at 22:38

Progressive?

Indeed. Progressive?

Is GodBuster LeKiwi in disguise?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.08.2014 - 23:27
Diverge
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 23.08.2014 at 22:32

Called it straight out Doom Metal is a bit far fetched. Progressive Doom Metal ?

Haha this is nowhere close to progressive doom metal. There is absolutely nothing progressive about this at all.
24.08.2014 - 10:53
Dr. Strawberry

Progressive?

Progressive ? (my question)

Your answer, "You're so dumb metal". A new genre ?
24.08.2014 - 11:13
Dr. Strawberry
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.08.2014 at 22:46

Progressive?

Indeed. Progressive?

Is GodBuster LeKiwi in disguise?

Progressive ?

The defination of "progressive" is very wide, you didn't ask me "which part ?" so proven that your own defination could be very narrow. Progressive Doom Metal ? actually is a question, I couldn't really define this album right away as their vocals' melodies are very similar to early-mid 70's "White- progressive" whereas Dream Theater's style of progressive is closer to late 70's "Black-Jazz progressive", nowadays people just omitted the word "progressive" and simply called them Jazz which is very wrong.

This album adopted 70's White-progressive vocal's melodies section, but did not focus on guitars' virtuosity and solo at all, which was a very smart direction to avoid being labeled as a rip-off of any more famous progressive band. On the other hand doom is usually rhythmic, but this is totally more into vocal's melodic...another wise move to avoid being labeled as a rip-off of any more famous doom metal band.

I have not figured out where should it be and I am very sure THIS IS NOT A DOOM METAL, it's very amatuerish to call this a Doom due to the heavy bass although 99.9% of the listeners have labeled this album as Doom.

Advantgard Metal would be my another option right now.
24.08.2014 - 11:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This is doom metal with some shoegaze influence. Certainly not progressive in any conventional sense, and not avant-garde in any sense.
24.08.2014 - 11:33
Dr. Strawberry
Written by Guest on 24.08.2014 at 11:20

This is doom metal with some shoegaze influence. Certainly not progressive in any conventional sense, and not avant-garde in any sense.

Then how do you explain the vocal melodies ? Doom metal doesn't need that at all such as all My Dying Bride's album, Black Sabbath's master of Reality..all these albums are rhythmics even on vocals.
Thre's no rules on Advantgarde Metal right now...so there's where it should be.
24.08.2014 - 11:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 24.08.2014 at 11:33

Then how do you explain the vocal melodies ? Doom metal doesn't need that at all such as all My Dying Bride's album, Black Sabbath's master of Reality..all these albums are rhythmics even on vocals.
Thre's no rules on Advantgarde Metal right now...so there's where it should be.

Vocal melodies have nothing to do with making something progressive metal. The vocals would have to be extremely offbeat to have any effect like that. The vocals here are mildly unusual at best.

Avant-garde metal does have characteristics, which is why a consensus can be reached about what an avant-garde metal band can be. Same with doom metal, which has a consensus stylistic make up. That's why 99% of people recognise this as doom. It's amateurish to ignore those clear doom components in favour of a vague focus on vocals.

If you want to think this is progressive or avant-garde then that's up to you, but I don't think there's any danger of you convincing anyone else of that.

As I said this is doom metal. More or less a continuation of Warning with slightly more upbeat songs and a Jesu-like shoegaze tone and feel to the sound.
24.08.2014 - 16:21
Diverge
What the hell? I thought his first post was seriously misinformed, but he actually considered the avant-garde label. *facepalm*

Maybe I'm just a total moron, but what the hell is white-progressive and black-jazz-progressive? I consider myself a prog fan, and so I'm surprised that I haven't seen those terms. If these are actual concepts, you clearly know more about progressive music than...well, just about everyone on MS. And you're obviously a keen doom listener because you've taken an album that 99% of us have labeled as doom metal and reminded us of its truly progressive leanings. You're totally right- we were all just paying way too much attention to the bass, and so we ended up getting the label wrong.

Hits total: 20127 | This month: 34