Metal Storm logo
Pantera

Original post

Posted by Darth Satanious, 18.05.2006 - 00:00
Coming from a style that some consider to be Glam, US Power Metal or just Heavy Metal (I haven't had the chance of actually listening to this period from the band) Pantera became a Groove Thrash metal band that told all those Grunge bands, that were taking over during the 90's, to fuck off, that Metal is alive and breathing. Their music, raw and in your face, has influenced several bands including many Nu Metal bands (often hated for that).

As we all know, the life of the guitar god Dimebag Darrell ended during a tragic incident where a son of a bitch killed him during a show of his other band Damageplan, in which he too played guitar along with his brother Vinnie Paul, in December 8th, 2004. Millions suffered his death back in those days and we all still do for he was a unique guitar palyer and person, as all the people who knew him acknowledge. He may not be with us in flesh but he will be alive forever through his music.

Here is their official thread.
27.08.2006 - 02:46
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
i've seen Pantera with Sepultura and Biohazard years ago when i was only 10 or 11...my sis' boyfriend took me...anyways i used to love these guys...but as i got older they just stopped Appealing to me...but i still love Vulgar Display of Power noneoftheless..i might Get shit for saying this...but i prefer Down Over Pantera
27.08.2006 - 02:52
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
...you bastard

*The smiley means I'm joking
29.08.2006 - 05:06
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Too be honest,I had always sorta liked these guys,but as I listened to them more and more,I realized how much they sucked.Yes Dimebag is a great guitarist.That is beside the point however.Yes I am one of those guys who hate this band for influencing all the Nu Metal bands.To me this is band that could of simply never existed.I think this band did absolutely nothing as far as the metal world is concerned,other than release crappy music,that became somewhat famous,and influenced more crappy bands to come.I also noticed more and more posers taking of advantage of Dime's death.People started wearing shirts,and were saying to me Dude I bought this shirt for Dimebag.Rather disrespectful to be a poser over the death of a legendary guitarist.I may be hated by this,but it is my opinion.I really do think Dime and his brother were the reason anyone should have paid attention to this band.Also one quick comment about Phil.YOU FUCKING SUCK PHIL ANSELMO!!I'm sorry but I absolutely hate that man.
29.08.2006 - 07:02
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
I still love Vulgar Display Of Power and Cowbows From Hell, Far Beyond Driven is OK but surely not as good nor comparable, but now that I know that Phil is an asshole, i dont really want to know from him, just say RIP Dimebag, he'll be fucken missed by humanity.
29.08.2006 - 07:03
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 27.08.2006 at 02:52

...you bastard

*The smiley means I'm joking

Damn he is a bastard
29.08.2006 - 07:10
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by [user id=823] on 29.08.2006 at 05:06

Too be honest,I had always sorta liked these guys,but as I listened to them more and more,I realized how much they sucked.Yes Dimebag is a great guitarist.That is beside the point however.Yes I am one of those guys who hate this band for influencing all the Nu Metal bands.To me this is band that could of simply never existed.I think this band did absolutely nothing as far as the metal world is concerned,other than release crappy music,that became somewhat famous,and influenced more crappy bands to come.I also noticed more and more posers taking of advantage of Dime's death.People started wearing shirts,and were saying to me Dude I bought this shirt for Dimebag.Rather disrespectful to be a poser over the death of a legendary guitarist.I may be hated by this,but it is my opinion.I really do think Dime and his brother were the reason anyone should have paid attention to this band.Also one quick comment about Phil.YOU FUCKING SUCK PHIL ANSELMO!!I'm sorry but I absolutely hate that man.

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard, except for that one comment by the "Mudvayne Kid"...
29.08.2006 - 07:40
Endoftherainbow
Written by Dangerboner on 29.08.2006 at 07:10

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard, except for that one comment by the "Mudvayne Kid"...

I remember that comment.
But guy what the hell how can you say they only influenced shitty bands and that they had no influence on metal whatsoever. Like personally I don't care wether you give a fuck about this band at all but you still cannot deny the influence they've had. Also what did Phil Anselmo do to make you hate him you don't even know him so how could you hate him maybe if you said you didn't like his vocals I'd understand but that's not what you said he didn't suck either he was a fucking great frontman. Another thing ever think the reason more people are wearing Pantera shirts now is to show respect for them and not just to be poseurs.
29.08.2006 - 07:48
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Phil has an amazing voice and that's all that matters.
30.08.2006 - 05:10
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
You guys aren't even worth my time,just a couple of Pantera fanboys thats all.There's nothing worse than a fanboy.And Phil is also a horrible singer,how can you even consider him a good singer,you've obviously never heard of vocal training.You just say that simply cause you like him.You should never base facts upon your own opinion.I suppose I will admit that they had some influence on metal.More influence than I initially stated.But none of those influences are really that interesting of bands.They did influence some cool bands but were only little influences compared to bands like Iron Maiden.You guys need to get a fucking life,and not just sit there and poke fun of people's opinions of a band you so adore.Simply pathetic.
30.08.2006 - 21:32
Trifixion
Account deleted
Written by [user id=823] on 30.08.2006 at 05:10

And Phil is also a horrible singer,how can you even consider him a good singer

Your opinion now counts for nothing, Phil was probably the most energetic frontman ever in metal and had one of the most powerful voices as well. Apologies if he doesn't have the octave-climbing skill that Bruce Dickenson may have but considering this is PANTERA who the fuck cares. I can't think of a single person with a better voice for Pantera's music than Phil himself. And if we're "Pantera fanboys" than I suppose I'll just consider you a Pantera hater with not a single valid reason to do so.
30.08.2006 - 22:25
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I missed out on a great Pantera and Slayer show years ago, I figured I could see them another time for sadly that will not be the case. Despite having respect for a variety of old guitarists, I had always admired Dime for the music he made and decided long ago that he was my personal favourite and the best. I never checked out Damageplan though, I thought that it may not be that great, not to say Dime and Vinnie wouldn't produce awsome music but it didn't seem appealing, mayble I'll have to check it out some time.

As for Phil, well I can see why people dislike him, he's aggressive, really confindant, a drunk, a heroine junky (time and time again,) and there has been mixed emotions in the media and from bands - including former Pantera members, like Dime I think. There is a reason why Phil has been arrested a variety of times and why he is constantly in fights. Personally I like the guy, a bit mixed about how he has acted but I'm a big fan of Down and Superjoint Ritual, particularily Down II. Phil can or could sing, MaidenVarius perhaps you have not heard the album any of the pre-Cowboy From Hell albums (excluding the first and maybe second album that did not have Phil on it,) hell even CFH Phil demostrates his long and high vocal range, and in the Down albums he sings a bit more melodically. The mans style and influences branch from some death and black metal and hardcore, aside from classics like Sabbath, KISS and such.
30.08.2006 - 23:14
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
For me it's rather difficult to understand the general despise towards post-"Vulgar Display Of Power" Pantera albums... thgey can be a bit slower but what the fuck, they're heavy as hell, take as example "The Great Southern Trendkill"... the rusted groove of that release is awesome, incredibly suffocating rfss and an overall dirty sound that make you ant to headbang for hours...
31.08.2006 - 02:47
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by [user id=8232] on 30.08.2006 at 21:32

Written by [user id=823] on 30.08.2006 at 05:10

And Phil is also a horrible singer,how can you even consider him a good singer

Your opinion now counts for nothing, Phil was probably the most energetic frontman ever in metal and had one of the most powerful voices as well. Apologies if he doesn't have the octave-climbing skill that Bruce Dickenson may have but considering this is PANTERA who the fuck cares. I can't think of a single person with a better voice for Pantera's music than Phil himself. And if we're "Pantera fanboys" than I suppose I'll just consider you a Pantera hater with not a single valid reason to do so.

Ah,an opinion,cant we all have one? For starters how can you even say that about Phil,because lets face it Bruce Dickinson(which you spelt wrong) is a much better frontman than he is by far,but thats my opinion.Yes,Phil was very energetic,but he completely abandoned Pantera.Just because someone doesn't like one of your dear bands,doesnt mean their opinion counts for nothing.That is just childish,and I will never go as far to label your opinion as that.Thats just pathetic.If you however want to continue defending this band against the likes of someone's opinion,I can only wonder what else you possibly have to do?An opinion is an opinion.
31.08.2006 - 03:36
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
If you feel the need to give your opinion and bash a band, at least give a legitimate reason or don't post at all. Who gives a shit about who they influenced? The only thing that matters is the music, which they are quite good at making.
31.08.2006 - 04:24
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
@MaidenVarius:

You guys aren't even worth my time,just a couple of Pantera fanboys thats all.There's nothing worse than a fanboy.

So your theory assures that further discussion in an opposite stance regarding your opinion immediately makes us whining fanboys? That is very interesting and, I have to admit, a first for me.

And Phil is also a horrible singer,how can you even consider him a good singer,you've obviously never heard of vocal training.You just say that simply cause you like him.

I see things very differently regarding Philip's voice. I find it to be pretty good: hard and badass like in most of his Pantera's songs and soft, melancholic in the rest and specially in his other band Down. You don't need vocal training in order to be a good singer/vocalist. It helps to make it better and especially when you don't have the talent from birth but, when you do, you can sing pretty well by yourself. A good example of this may be Amy Lee, an incredible singer which has never taken a single singing class.

Phil indeed has not so good shows were he lacks of air and all for all the heavy drinking he goes through. I think that Dimebag once admitted this, he said something like: "There would be some shows where Phil would go to the stage and kick some serious asses but then there were some in which he wasn't there at all." It is something like that but I cannot remember exactly what he said.

You should never base facts upon your own opinion.

That is kind of what you are doing right now, don't you think?

They did influence some cool bands but were only little influences compared to bands like Iron Maiden.

The question is, is there a band that has influenced more bands that what Iron Maiden did? Especially when they even influenced bands which came before them? So we should base the greatness of bands just by the amount of bands the band influences, right? Not just about how good the music is, correct?

You guys need to get a fucking life,and not just sit there and poke fun of people's opinions of a band you so adore.

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that you are the only one bashing and showing disrespect towards the rest of the people in this thread.
----
Christless
01.09.2006 - 11:18
Sore Neck 101
Account deleted
Well it seems that you giys have already put that d*ck in his place but...

Yes I am one of those guys who hate this band for influencing all the Nu Metal bands.To me this is band that could of simply never existed.I think this band did absolutely nothing as far as the metal world is concerned,other than release crappy music,that became somewhat famous,and influenced more crappy bands to come.

If it wasnt them who would it have been? And that only means that you should, by your way of thinking, hate Black Sabbath, Slayer etc. for influencing Pantera

Nothing for metal? i cant recall many other heavy metal bands waving the flag during the early 90's! (i also dont count Maiden as that heavy to be honest) And if you say Metallica i will shoot you.

So BLAU!
04.09.2006 - 00:05
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
You guys are awful at rising an argument,you keep saying that same thing over and over.I think this band is awful at making music,I'm curious as to how many people heard this band in the glam days here,thats reason alone to hate these guys.@Sore Neck,your reasoning for attacking me was very pathetic,try again buddy,lame attempt.@Darth,I wasn't the first person to show disrespect,look I respect all your opinions on this band,but there is no way,I will ever like this bands music.What facts am I basing on my own opinion,nothing so you have to try again buddy.@Pyro,the music is rather intelligible,if they had a different singer perhaps I would like it more,but the lyrics while rather good in meaning,were rather mediocre.You guys raise a pointless argument,someone doesnt like this band so they dont like them whats wrong with that.So I advise you all to try again,this is quite entertaining.
04.09.2006 - 02:34
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
We are awful at raising an argument??? You say that you don't like them because you think the vocalist has a bad personality and that they sucked when they were a glam rock band in high school. That's fucken lame.

What's even more lame is when you said you hated this band because of other bands that were influenced by them. That's really not Pantera's fault...
04.09.2006 - 06:06
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by [user id=823] on 04.09.2006 at 00:05

You guys are awful at rising an argument,you keep saying that same thing over and over.I think this band is awful at making music,I'm curious as to how many people heard this band in the glam days here,thats reason alone to hate these guys.@Sore Neck,your reasoning for attacking me was very pathetic,try again buddy,lame attempt.@Darth,I wasn't the first person to show disrespect,look I respect all your opinions on this band,but there is no way,I will ever like this bands music.What facts am I basing on my own opinion,nothing so you have to try again buddy.@Pyro,the music is rather intelligible,if they had a different singer perhaps I would like it more,but the lyrics while rather good in meaning,were rather mediocre.You guys raise a pointless argument,someone doesnt like this band so they dont like them whats wrong with that.So I advise you all to try again,this is quite entertaining.

lol jesus.. Pantera is such a talentless band because the evidance doesn't prove how well they did for themselves, certainly a poor performing band could not have had five platinum albums, one multi-platinum album, two gold albums, and three gold video releases? WOW must be luck hey? here this shows their sales http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantera#_note-ussales
04.09.2006 - 06:14
Sore Neck 101
Account deleted
@MaidenVarius, hardly attacking you just saying that most of the points had already been dealt with and added some more points to the story... tis all
04.09.2006 - 08:12
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Just thought I would point one other thing out, this talk of Pantera influencing nu-metal acts is rather false in itself, one being that I don't believe any nu-metal band shows any influence of Pantera on an audio quality.
The bands to "blame" for influencing and paving the way for nu-metal are, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Faith No More, Helmet, RATM and others, those bands are from the late 80's and the start of the 90's, they started the mix of hard guitars with rythimg lyrics and all that other b.s.
04.09.2006 - 08:54
Sore Neck 101
Account deleted
^ Iv always found that aswell... i think that when they refer to Pantera that they were just bands of which they enjoyed not one of wjich influenced their style... IMO ofcourse
04.09.2006 - 09:55
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
@Maidenvarius

"You guys are awful at rising an argument,you keep saying that same thing over and over."

Repeating the same argument over and over again? Which argument? Perhaps we are being incisive since you are unable to reply to the arguments in a satisfactory way and because of your blatant contradictions. For example we have the following statements which came out from your fingers:

"Yes Dimebag is a great guitarist." & "Rather disrespectful to be a poser over the death of a legendary guitarist."

With:

"other than release crappy music," & "I think this band is awful at making music,"

Those first two sentences strongly contradict with the following two. How can you consider Dimebag a great guitarist which comes to be legendary and then say he came out with such "crappy" and "awful" music? If you believe their music to be shitty that is more than fine, it is your own business; but if you hold Dimebag in such a high esteem and then call his music worthless the funny contradiction raises questions very, very fast. Moreover when you are coming here with an attitude of some kind of superiority:

"You guys aren't even worth my time"

"your reasoning for attacking me was very pathetic,try again buddy,lame attempt."

"nothing so you have to try again buddy."

"So I advise you all to try again,this is quite entertaining."

Some superiority which you may feel for some reason unknown to me since you are just showing contradictions and constant changes in this thread with the things you say:

"I think this band did absolutely nothing as far as the metal world is concerned,"

With:

"I suppose I will admit that they had some influence on metal.More influence than I initially stated.But none of those influences are really that interesting of bands."

Changing your way of thinking has nothing wrong in itself but when you start "hitting your chest" trying to show some kind of superiority this "black stains" are here so that you get to fall off that cloud in which you are living.

You also said:

"But none of those influences are really that interesting of bands.They did influence some cool bands but were only little influences compared to bands like Iron Maiden."

To what I raised a question in a previous post, question that you left unanswered. You just answered me with this:

"@Darth,I wasn't the first person to show disrespect,look I respect all your opinions on this band,but there is no way,I will ever like this bands music."

Now, about the "disrespect thingy", you may not have been the first for pyroleprechaun pointed your post as being stupid, but you added Endoftherainbow to your bashing when he was just stating that he disagreed with your opinion. You cannot expect to come to a forum and not find different opinions to yours. You don't like Pantera? Fine, have it your way. But it is more than obvious that people will come here and express their opinion and point out things you assure which they see differently.

"What facts am I basing on my own opinion,nothing so you have to try again buddy."

What is that opinion which you are trying to pass as a fact? This opinion:

"And Phil is also a horrible singer,how can you even consider him a good singer,you've obviously never heard of vocal training."

In this sentence you are not only asking the rest to agree with you (since not agreeing with you would be the proof that we have never heard of vocal training) but you are assuming that disagreeing is the proof of not knowing what vocal training is; what is merely an assumption from you, something which demonstrate ignorance to begin with. Why does this show ignorance? Because assuming something without considering all the other possibilities is something unwise to do. Go to my answer regarding this in my previous post. That was something from which you did not comment a single thing. I am seeing this tendency among Metalstormers in trying to ignore those things they cannot answer, for the reason that may be, and just try to reply with the points they thought were left unscathed in an effort of pretending to keep being right, what is more than obvious in the attitude you have assumed in this thread.

These days it is very cool and so much fun to bash Pantera.
----
Christless
04.09.2006 - 10:40
LethargyMan
Don't feed the trolls.

No matter how much illogical douchebaggery this moron spouts, I'd refrain from actually caring about his opinion.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
04.09.2006 - 20:16
Endoftherainbow
I'm kind of disapointed I revisited this thread now MaidenVarious your entitled to your opinion but in all fairness you canot compare Bruce Dickinson to Phil Anselmo in vocals first of all because Thrash Metal is more about aggression then hitting all the right notes and having an amazing range. As for saying Iron Maidens influenced more bands no one was denying that in fact no one even brought them up because its not fair to compare the two. So MaidenVarious understand that you can have your opinions about Pantera that you dislike them but then when you begin to contradict yourself and try to say their not a good band because they're not Iron Maiden your just being stupid also as for calling us Pantera fanboys we're all just stating we like the band and your reasons for disliking them and bashing them are not very strong and it is beginning to seem like your the fanboy comparing every band to your precious Iron Maiden sure they are a great band but not one to be compared to Pantera. So please if you're going to bash Pantera have some legitiment reasons or just don't post in this thread.
05.09.2006 - 06:58
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Well to keep this pathetic argument in which very few of you have used logical responses Darth being one of them,I applaud him for that.But it just adds to more reasons why I hate these guys.The fanbase.While the fanbase is always supportive (always good) they cant bear to take a statement such as this band sucks.People throwing random slurs about that really arent needed,but are rather comical as showing me what kind of people like these guys.Such a poser band.I will bring up another case,many people tend to dislike progressive rock because the songs are long,and anyone can say they suck.In truth they really dont suck,because progressive rock is very creative this tends to be a very similar situation.I suppose I did take their musical credibility a little to far and I apologize,they are fairly talented,but what I hate mainly about this band is the fanbase.people who claim their are true metalheads then listen to korn.I do apologize,for some of the stuff I have said but please understand where I live this is a major poser band.Trust me half the kids that wear the dimebag shirts dont know a thing about pantera I once asked them their favorite song and they didnt even know.I hope my apology is accepted and I shall never post again,as this simply isnt really a place for me to blame anyone...
05.09.2006 - 22:30
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
@MaidenVarius:

I think you are driving your hate from ignorant people towards the band they adore. I think (may I be corrected by the fellow Metalstormers here) that we Metalheads have an idealization of how a Metalhead must be. Among the several requirements (requirements in which we may not agree all the time) we demand Metalheads to have this interest of further looking for new bands and getting to expand their musical tastes or just reassure them. This comes to be a problem when we have fans of bands which have earned success and have a solid stance in popularity. I know that there will be fans that will hold unto those bands and never get to see to the side and find great other bands that make incredible music, but the question is: are the bands to be blamed for this?

Not every band gets to earn success and there are bands out there which can easily deserve the same success as Pantera but this is, unfortunately, not the case. There will be bands that will hit the jackpot and there will be bands that won't and we must face this. Because of Pantera's popularity, it is more than understandable that they will have more idiots and ignorants under their fan base. Now, having idiotic fans is not something to blame a band for (unless you argue that they have sold out but then we would have to analyze each band within their own specific case); a band should be judged by their music. Things such as personal life and fan base are related to the band but should not be a factor when judging a band's music. Just look at Beethoven, he was a son of a bitch but that does not take away the fact that he was a genius in music. You may argue that the fan base of a band is completely related to the music, what can be true to some extent, but this may not be the case with Pantera since you have acknowledged that they are talented.

I think that you may have reasons for hating Pantera's fan base but not for blaming Pantera for it. Now, I would like to make clear that not just popular bands have idiots as fans, every fucking band in this unholy World has ignorants within their fan base for idiots are everywhere; it is just that popular bands tend to have more since more people gets to hear their music. It is like this: which place would have more chances of having more people infected with HIV: England or the United States? Of course, there will always be factors which can turn things to be different. And now I will shut the fuck up before I get to keep drifting away in off-topicness.

I don't know why you brought that point about songs with great length; perhaps those Pantera's fans in specific did not like long songs? I don't know. Whatever the reason may be, it is not something to generalize for.

And MaidenVarius, feel free to come here and express your thoughts as much as you want. This thread does not belong to anyone and any person with any thought of this band can say whatever they want. Now, they must be predisposed to hearing different opinions than theirs and have their points debated.
----
Christless
06.09.2006 - 02:36
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
bleh
06.09.2006 - 03:07
Baz Anderson
Staff
you really cant condemn a whole fanbase for one band
i am a massive fan of Pantera but i just keep myself to myself. you cant possibly condemn me as well can you?

i happened to listen to 'Cowboys From Heel' today - it was the first time in quite a while and i enjoyed it very much again
it is a great album - the album that started them rolling along in the world of metal
06.09.2006 - 09:03
Sore Neck 101
Account deleted
Forgive me if im wrong but, didnt pantera play the monsters of rock show (with Metallica ACDC) during their Cowboys from hell tour?

I just think thats pretty damn big for a first album tour...