Metal Storm logo
Movies made from videogames

Original post

Posted by Darth Satanious, 18.05.2006 - 00:11
It has happened to successful videogames like "Mortal Kombat", "Resident Evil", "Tomb Raider" and "Doom" (among others). Here you can give your opinion about those videogames which are turned into movies for the pleasure or disgust of many.

My favorite videogame brought to a movie woulf be, of course, "Final Fantasy VII Advent Children" though I have to admit that Silent Hill is really very, very close. The wait for the Final Fantasy movie was stressing and when I finally saw it it all paid off. With one of the greatest computer animations I've seen, if not the best, and the continuation of one of my favourite RPG's of all time, it can hardly be a disappintment to someone (hardly possible but possible no matter lol).

Here is a list of videogames' movies taken from Wikipedia:

Theater Releases

1) AIR (2005)
2) DOA: Dead or Alive (2005)
3) Alone in the Dark (2005)
4) BloodRayne (2006)
5) Doom (2005)
6) Double Dragon (1994)
7) Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001) Note: The film was not based on any particular installment in the 8) Final Fantasy game series, and contains little to none of the elements often associated with the franchise.
9) Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (2005)
10) Last Order: Final Fantasy VII (2005) Note: It is an Original Video Animation released with the Advent 11)Pieces: Limited DVD edition of FFVII: Advent Children.
11) House of the Dead (2003)
12) Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001)
13) Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (2003)
14) Mortal Kombat films:
15) Mortal Kombat (1995)
16) Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (1997)
17) Pokémon: The First Movie (1998)
18) Pokémon: The Movie 2000 (1999)
19) Pokémon 3: The Movie (2000)
20) Pokémon 4Ever (2001)
21) Pokémon Heroes (2002)
22) Pokémon: Jirachi Wishmaker (2003)
23) Pokémon: Destiny Deoxys (2004)
24) Pokémon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew (2005)
25) Pokémon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea: Manaphy (2006)
26) Resident Evil films:
27) Resident Evil (2002)
28) Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)
29) Sakura Taisen: Katsudou Shashin (2001)
30) Street Fighter films:
31) Street Fighter (1994)
32) Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie (1994)
33) Street Fighter Alpha: The Movie (1999)
34) Silent Hill (2006)
35) Super Mario Bros. (1993)
36) Surf Ninjas (1993)
37) Tekken: The Animated Movie (1997)
38) Wing Commander (1999)

Direct to DVD

39) House of the Dead II (2006)
40) Pokémon: Mewtwo Returns (2000)
41) Street Fighter Alpha Generations (2005)
42) Fatal Fury: Legend of the Hungry Wolf (1992)
43) Fatal Fury 2: The New Battle (1993)
44) Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture (1994)
45) Kirby: Fright to the Finish!! (2005)
46) SiN: The Movie (2000)
47) Welcome to Pia Carrot -Sayaka no Koi-monogatari- (2002)
48) Sonic The Hedgehog The Animated Movie
49) Art Of Fighting The Movie (1992)
50) Samurai Showdown (1992)

Now, what do you think of such movies?
25.10.2006 - 05:26
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Whilst I have nothing against nudity (what with me being male and all), House of the dead never really had a storyline that was thick in the first place.
But then again there was even less of a storyline for the mortal kombat game and they made that into a movie.
25.10.2006 - 06:44
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Guest on 25.10.2006 at 05:26

Whilst I have nothing against nudity (what with me being male and all), House of the dead never really had a storyline that was thick in the first place.
But then again there was even less of a storyline for the mortal kombat game and they made that into a movie.

You exceed in the math class because you are pretty good at numbers. There is this chick in the class that is very attractive and over whom you have laid eyes previously. You find her very attractive to the point she totally captivates you. Day after day you start proving yourself as being extremely good in math (to the point of getting recognition by the professor of the class) and all of a sudden this girl of any man's dream approaches you looking for conversation. Her attention is enough to wake pleasure in you and each word that comes out of her mouth is pure bliss. Time passes and she continues to talk to you and this one day she asks you to help her in doing the final test of the math class by cheating, having you telling her the answers to the math problems. Of course you agree to her pleas and you help her out. She receives a good grade in the test because of your help and then you decide to ask her finally that which you have been struggling for weeks to ask her: if she wants to be with you. She answers that she only sees you as a friend and after the semester is over you never get to know from her again.

If we see what this hypothetical story tells us we can get to compare it to what one takes from nudity in a movie such as this. Nudity can give an immediate pleasure (as that girl's attention towards you) for us men admire the beauty of the women's body but it is all ephemeral, this aspect of the movie will come to be hallow after you finish watching the movie; the intentions behind that nudity are to captivate your attention and spend money to watch the movie even when the movie does not offer you anything at all in the end (the girl wants your supposed friendship just so that she can pass the class, after that you are worthless, you have nothing). After the movie ends you will see that it offered nothing at all, just an illusion of satisfaction that had only one purpose: take your money (help her cheat to pass the class). One must decide between two things: give in to the immediate pleasure which is in reality an illusion or realize that there are some hidden intentions behind the use of nudity in those movies and resist to be controlled and manipulated by this ephemeral offering of pleasure.

In my opinion Mortal Kombat had more of a storyline than this House of the Dead movie. You had the characters, original characters of the game, and they all had a background of their own. Sonya wanted to kill Kano because he murdered his partner (right?), Johnny Cage is seen as a fake martial artist who struggles in finding that acceptance, making people realize that he possesses indeed fighting skills, etc. It is more than I can say about people killing and being killed by zombies.
----
Christless
26.10.2006 - 01:34
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Darth Satanious on 25.10.2006 at 06:44

In my opinion Mortal Kombat had more of a storyline than this House of the Dead movie. You had the characters, original characters of the game, and they all had a background of their own. Sonya wanted to kill Kano because he murdered his partner (right?), Johnny Cage is seen as a fake martial artist who struggles in finding that acceptance, making people realize that he possesses indeed fighting skills, etc. It is more than I can say about people killing and being killed by zombies.

I must agree here. There is no movie as bad as House of the Dead, and the story of HotD was non exsiting. While in Mortal Kombat they atleast had reasons to try to kill eachother, even if some of them are rather vague.
26.10.2006 - 01:46
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Guest on 26.10.2006 at 01:34

Written by Darth Satanious on 25.10.2006 at 06:44

I must agree here. There is no movie as bad as House of the Dead, and the story of HotD was non exsiting. While in Mortal Kombat they atleast had reasons to try to kill eachother, even if some of them are rather vague.

hahaha, you must really regard this movie as worthless. I don't think the movie is that bad just more of the same and nothing special. If you really want to see pathetic films try most movies that are released by Lion's Gate; those are really the worst movies you can watch.
----
Christless
26.10.2006 - 01:55
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Darth Satanious on 26.10.2006 at 01:46

hahaha, you must really regard this movie as worthless. I don't think the movie is that bad just more of the same and nothing special. If you really want to see pathetic films try most movies that are released by Lion's Gate; those are really the worst movies you can watch.

You wanna know something funny? I have been a movie maniac since I cant remember how small I was and the worst movie I have EVER seen is House of the Dead. I just cant recall anything worse, nothing! Just goes blank and believe me I have seen shitloads of sucky movies, luckily none from Lion's Gate.... if thoose realy are worse than House of the dead.... damn............
26.10.2006 - 02:08
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Guest on 26.10.2006 at 01:55

Written by Darth Satanious on 26.10.2006 at 01:46

You wanna know something funny? I have been a movie maniac since I cant remember how small I was and the worst movie I have EVER seen is House of the Dead. I just cant recall anything worse, nothing! Just goes blank and believe me I have seen shitloads of sucky movies, luckily none from Lion's Gate.... if thoose realy are worse than House of the dead.... damn............

Yeah dude, believe it for they are even worse. Imagine an even lamer storyline to that of HOTD, with far worse acting and with what seems to be 5,000 dollars in budget for the whole film. I can't recall any title right now so that you can have an idea but you can recognize them by the crappy horror art work with the cursed seal of Lion's Gate on them. Most of them can pass as homemade horror movies by amateurs. Avoid them as if they were Jesus Christ in person.
----
Christless
26.10.2006 - 05:41
Woven Elegy
Account deleted

Well I thought that Sega would atleast attampt a meager storyline at best. Ah well dont really care either way. It still wouldn't get me to throw away money just to see it regardless.

If memory serves me correctly (depending on the level of combined stupidty and drunkedness), I once read in a magazine of their being a Darkstalkers (or whatever it is they call it) movie.
I tried looking for it on the net but i couldn't find anything so it might be totally wrong. But if i'm right i remember the critic giving a very poor review, which is a shame cause i always believe that anime video game movies turn out to be pretty enjoyable to watch.

Phew i made it, and with no brain damageamageamageamageamageamage.
26.10.2006 - 13:05
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
WOW nice list dude.
the only movies I;ve seen out of these are:
Silent Hill: which I believe is the best videogame-based movie ever, because I believe it tells u a lot about the game and it has a wonderful (Horror and emotional) story which is rare in this type of movies.

Resident Evil 1 & 2: I liked the movie coz of Milla Jovovich and because I really loved the game, although the first part has little to nothing related to the game but it still is nice and the second part has Sienna Guillory another one of my favourites (but the thing I hated about the 2nd one is that Nemesis becomes their friend where did that happen in the game.

Tomb Raider: ofcourse the main reason to like the movie is by far Angelina Jolie and nothing else because I always hated the "one-man-army" movies

Pokemon: the first & Mewtwo Returns: I remember that I liked them coz I was a poke-fan during my childhood.
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
22.02.2009 - 04:06
Nardy7
Max Payne is a good example. I also watched Pokemon: Giritina And The Sky Warrior recently.
28.02.2009 - 00:44
jd-inflames
Account deleted
Wow, I had no idea that they had so many Pokemon movies.

I haven't seen any movies as of late that really caught my attention, video game wise that is.

I would love for someone to make a Vampire: Masquerade movie, however. I just posted in another thread about me playing the game a lot here recently, and it really does have a rich storyline. Make a movie. Go go!
16.09.2010 - 13:50
akvan
Most of the time movies made from video games are not good
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
29.09.2010 - 04:19
Vunts
I thought 'Postal' was a more than decent adaption of the video game. It's the only Uwe Boll film that even he couldn't fuck up. Due to the fact, that the game was already a huge pile of random (which I loved). Sure, it could have been better, but the way it turned out wasn't half bad.
29.09.2010 - 10:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
From those I have seen:

good: Mortal Kombat, Final Fantasy

bad: Doom, Resident Evil
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.09.2010 - 03:17
whatsacow
Mario. that shit was epic.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
30.09.2010 - 13:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Ive yet to see a single movie based on a games franchise that was actually any good. lol Unless Im counting those that are so bad/cheesy, that they become good. (Mortal Kombat, Super Mario Bros)
30.09.2010 - 14:47
Edmund Fogg
Written by Ellrohir on 29.09.2010 at 10:51

From those I have seen:

good: Mortal Kombat, Final Fantasy

bad: Doom, Resident Evil

Aah C'mon, the first Resident Evil was good and scary.I would've like to see the story of the first game in it, but it was still a good film.And for Mortal Kombat, I just have one thing to say: Find your Animality haha
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
30.09.2010 - 14:53
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
For some reason i found Resident Evil movie totally stupid...also i remembered watching Silent Hill, which was also crap for me
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.09.2010 - 15:10
Edmund Fogg
The problem with the Silent Hill movie is that the overall "what the fuck is going on?" vibe from the game doesn't work as well in a movie.It seems they didn't catch that the less you explain in a movie,the more boring it gets.Especially if you ad a stupid gore fest to the equation.
----
30.09.2010 - 23:24
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
They should make a Duke Nukem movie...

"I'm here to kick-ass and chew bubble gum.. and i'm ALL out of gum "
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
01.10.2010 - 13:04
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Zombie on 30.09.2010 at 23:24

I believe there were plans, but they canned it.

Also I like how people don't really notice that quote was borrowed from the film They Live.

Still, it's a badass one.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
01.10.2010 - 14:35
Edmund Fogg
Written by vezzy on 01.10.2010 at 13:04

Written by Zombie on 30.09.2010 at 23:24

I believe there were plans, but they canned it.

Also I like how people don't really notice that quote was borrowed from the film They Live.

Still, it's a badass one.

Never saw that movie.In fact I never even heard of it.Now that I know it has that line I have to see it.
----
01.10.2010 - 17:40
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
@ Vezzy: i knew about that... but that movie was retarded .. and its protagonist 'attitude' isn't as cool as dukes... so i prefer when nukem says it.
the other dude's like: "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... *pause* and I'm all out of bubblegum"

however, what duke really 'more than borrows' quotes from was Ash from "Evil dead" ... and duke can never be as cool as ash.

----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
03.10.2010 - 14:24
Lovecraft
Account deleted
Where's "Prince Of Persia"?

Really suckish:

-DOA: Dead or Alive
-Alone in the Dark
-Doom
-House of the Dead