Metal Storm logo
Then and Now - How Your Musical Taste(s) Has Changed

Original post

Posted by JCJen7, 10.05.2011 - 03:49
I was just wondering how everyone elses' musical tastes have changed since they joined their sight, and what are your first comments on this sight pertaining to?
I ask this because I was looking over my earliest posts (which were only about a year ago!) and snickering to myself at how much I have changed. My first posts were on a Megadeth vs Metallica thread, and I am embaressed to have ever said what I did LOL. I was basically argueing that the only decent Megadeth albums were Killing is My Business and Rust in Peace, while Metallica was far superior. Today, about a year later, I don't know if I could decide which band I like better.

Also, one year ago, I had never even heard of black metal, doom metal, sludge metal, I though melodic death metal was the same thing as folk metal, and the only death metal band I could name was Cannibal Corpse, and I thought they were laughably bad.

My tastes have obviously changed, I am still not a big doom or sludge metal fan, but I really enjoy some good 90's melodic dm, the occasional black metal, and I really enjoy death metal.

So, looking back at your earliest posts on this website, how has your musical tastes changed since than? Did you make any arguments that you now consider ridiculous?
(I would like to apologize to Doc Godin, as I believe that is who I was trying to convice that Megadeth were a subpar band )

(P.S. - If this thread has already been made, I am sorry, I couldn't find it. Simply delete it, and maybe link me to the original if you'd be so kind.)
12.05.2011 - 03:13
Doom Trooper
I as well as Void Eater, started my real music discovery on Metal Archives. I started using this forum because it was more open to the lesser underground bands that I love as well. As far as I know of I haven't posted anything too incriminating on this site yet, but Im sure I will eventually.
12.05.2011 - 05:26
Richard
Elite
I joined Metal Storm in April 2004, and was 28 at that time and already with quite a background in Metal, so my overall taste hasn't changed drastically. But with the wealth of information and input available here, I've been introduced to some fantastic bands I may not have otherwise heard about.
----
12.05.2011 - 13:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 12.05.2011 at 05:26

I joined Metal Storm in April 2004, and was 28 at that time and already with quite a background in Metal, so my overall taste hasn't changed drastically. But with the wealth of information and input available here, I've been introduced to some fantastic bands I may not have otherwise heard about.

How does it changes lets say when you was 18 and when you was 28
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.05.2011 - 13:05
JD
Account deleted
I don't think that i changed that much i still like the same genres Thrash\Death\Black but now i'm more into Death i guess, when i registered i remember that i hated Metalcore\Deathcore so much, i despised the "Core" i spammed many bands in the "suggestion list" i'm sorry for that , but now am open-minded i listen to some Death\Metalcore now days.
12.05.2011 - 13:06
XV535Virago
Lol! Age & winsdom? Im aging but never getting any smarter. 10 years ago all my friends loved Motorhead. Then Rammstein. Then local neofolk/hard & heavy bands. Then blues/jazz/fusion. Now what are they going to do? Listen to Lady GaGa?
With me everything went in the opposite way:

1990 : CC Catch,Modern Talking, Smokie
1991: Alice Cooper,Twisted Sister, Sepultura
1992-1996 : Iron Maiden, Judas Priest
1996-2000: Saxon, Gothminister, Evol, Morbig Angel
2000-2005: Mortiis, Field of The Nephilim
2005 - now : Arcturus, Mayhem

nice, isn't it?
----
True norwegian Dimmu Burger : zero tolerance to pickles must be issued!
12.05.2011 - 13:07
JD
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 12.05.2011 at 13:05

I don't think he was into metal at 18.
12.05.2011 - 13:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 12.05.2011 at 13:07

hehe why , as far I remeber him talking old days in SB he was and he was metalhead IMNO before i net days in 90's if I remeber corrcet
----

apos;'
[image]
12.05.2011 - 18:27
Richard
Elite
Written by Bad English on 12.05.2011 at 13:34

Written by Guest on 12.05.2011 at 13:07

hehe why , as far I remeber him talking old days in SB he was and he was metalhead IMNO before i net days in 90's if I remeber corrcet

Yeah, I was mid-teens when I got into Metal.. very early 90's. (Not including stuff like GnR which I'd listened to previously). I don't think my tastes have changed drastically even since I was 18. But some of my favourite albums are ones I was listening to in the 1992-1994 period. I think the albums people listen to when they were about 16-18 is the kind of stuff that will always have a certain nostalgic appeal.
----
12.05.2011 - 18:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 12.05.2011 at 18:27

Yeah, I was mid-teens when I got into Metal.. very early 90's. (Not including stuff like GnR which I'd listened to previously). I don't think my tastes have changed drastically even since I was 18. But some of my favourite albums are ones I was listening to in the 1992-1994 period. I think the albums people listen to when they were about 16-18 is the kind of stuff that will always have a certain nostalgic appeal.

I agree about those epcic, when I start using those many sites and get into metal deeper bands liek Embraze always brings up good memories , its like something 1th what stuck deep in memories

O yes nowdays I dont post so much about metal and dont suggest anybthing in new treads, I somehow lost interest to posting
----

apos;'
[image]
06.02.2012 - 16:42
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
I don't think my taste has ever changed... I only discover new stuff I like, but I never grow out of my old stuff. And the more I discover, the more it all fits together, the more sense it makes.
----
7.0 means the album is good
06.02.2012 - 16:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
From power/symphonic metal.... To Doom, Black and Death.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.02.2012 - 20:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.02.2012 at 16:52

never ever mention your power metal past again
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2012 - 20:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.02.2012 at 20:00

I'm without shame
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.02.2012 - 20:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.02.2012 at 20:00

I was listening it to ----when I was way to drunk to remeber

Mora - you're 19 I was 19 so ... we know it will change K hope to doom
----

apos;'
[image]
06.02.2012 - 20:34
Slayer666
I used to listen to Tokio Hotel a lot, and that's pretty much what changed about my taste (although I still dig about half the tracks from their debut). Basically, my taste didn't change from when I was 12 or so, it just expanded a whole lot.
06.02.2012 - 20:47
Edmund Fogg
I changed from more tradional Heavy/power/gothenburg and Thrash to more sludge3doom black etc. My profile hasen't changed a lot since I signed in (lazyness) So you can make the differences with my fave bands at the time and the discoveries I post here and there.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
09.02.2012 - 19:00
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
S.O.A.D --> Landmine Marathon.

^Short Version.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.02.2012 - 19:40
Lit.
Account deleted
I haven't really stopped listening to anything, but I've started listening to so many bands I don't bother keeping track anymore.
11.02.2012 - 09:09
bran
I have branched out listening to more variations of metal iam exploring viking/folk metal iam listening to heavier thrash metal than i was 7 years ago or so and i really love blackened thrash metal
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
12.02.2012 - 23:56
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Interesting thread.

I kinda got introduced into metal with Evanescence. Then I discovered nu-metal with Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and such, I was 13/14 at the time.
After getting into other random bands such as Metallica, Tool and Rammstein and broading my horizons, I started to get into black and death metal. Later I got into progressive.

And after that... I listen to pretty much any shit that I like without caring too much about the genre (even outside of metal).

I used to discard one genre for other, but now my phylosophy is to keep adding artists and not dumping the older ones. I can still enjoy a Linkin Park record.
13.02.2012 - 21:50
Zombie94
Hrmm. What a long weird musical past I have. I've only ever been into rock-orientated music. I started off with old school rock n' roll bands my dad loved: Marc Boland and T-Rex, Led Zeppelin, Supertramp, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy etc.

Then when I was old enough to make my own choices in music and explore a bit more I was introduced to a shitload of alt rock and indie bands by my uncle. I still like certain bands like The Strokes, Interpol, Foo Fighters.

Then I went through a phase of listening to a lot of 'emo'/pop punk music. Bands like Blink 182, Green Day, Panic! At The Disco, Escape The Fate etc.

I was introduced to metal by a friend who lent a lot of his CDs to me. I started listening to bands like System Of A Down, Disturbed, Slipknot and Trivium. Like most people who start off on nu-metal, I was under the impression that it was all that metal had to offer and that this was the heaviest stuff on the planet.

And then the turning point came for me when I was bored one day and looked up something like 'top 100 metal albums of all time'. And because of this site's list feature (one of the main reasons I was so interested in it) I found the Metal Storm album charts which had 'Rust In Peace' by Megadeth sitting pretty on the number 1 spot. So naturally I decided to give it a listen. Gave it one spin and couldn't understand the hype. Decided to try one more time and since then I was really transformed into a metalhead. Megadeth are still my favourite band by far and I've gone from listening to bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica, and not being able to bear extreme metal, to loving black metal bands like Darkthrone and Emperor and developing a taste for death too. Other bands like Mastodon and Dio had a pretty major part in swaying me to the metal side.
13.02.2012 - 22:10
vezzy
Stallmanite
I think I'm turning into a punk.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
13.02.2012 - 22:18
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by vezzy on 13.02.2012 at 22:10

I think I'm turning into a punk.

Good... Good... Come to the dark side...
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.02.2012 - 22:20
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Boxcar Willy on 13.02.2012 at 22:18

Seriously, all I've been listening to for the past few days is The Exploited, Electro Hippies, Crass, Sore Throat and Discharge.
----
13.02.2012 - 22:22
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by vezzy on 13.02.2012 at 22:20

Seriously, all I've been listening to for the past few days is The Exploited, Electro Hippies, Crass, Sore Throat and Discharge.

Try out Cancer Bats

They are REALLY good hardcore Punk.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.02.2012 - 23:58
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 13.02.2012 at 22:20

Some more good hardcore punk bands to look into: Black Flag, G.B.H., D.R.I.'s earlier work, Bad Brains, Casualties, Minor Threat and TSOL.
14.02.2012 - 13:08
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 13.02.2012 at 23:58
Some more good hardcore punk bands to look into: Black Flag, G.B.H., D.R.I.'s earlier work, Bad Brains, Casualties, Minor Threat and TSOL.

Already know them.
----
14.02.2012 - 14:26
FOOCK Nam
My weird historical metal input:
- 2002: Metallica, HammerFall
- 2003: Children of Bodom, Stratovarius
- 2004: InFlames, some melodic death, Wintersun, and whole bunch of black metal ( & the golden era of raw)
- 2005 - 2009: this period marks that my musical taste changed significantly, I explored a lot of genres especially all doom metal all kinds and depressive black metal. Though is my golden age of metal with biggest peak in my metal downloading career: DOOM.
- 2010 - 2011: this is one of tragedy in my musical time,... I got interrupted for the habit of checking Metalstorm reviews. Now I missed all typical bands in the years, and genres, and totally lost in the metal scene. : (
-2011: back to Metallica, some famous Cradle Of Filth stuff, Neo-folk, martial industrial.
14.02.2012 - 17:31
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
I only say shit, anyway. When I joined MS I was into Bring Me The Horizon (how???). Today? Well, I am listening more to Nu Metal, thing that I never did before...

I am still too young. I imagine myself ten years in the future, or more...
14.02.2012 - 17:31
FOOCK Nam
Written by RetardedByMetal on 14.02.2012 at 15:49

Written by RetardedByMetal on 14.02.2012 at 15:44

Written by FOOCK Nam on 14.02.2012 at 14:26

My weird historical metal input:
- 2002: Metallica, HammerFall
- 2003: Children of Bodom, Stratovarius
- 2004: InFlames, some melodic death, Wintersun, and whole bunch of black metal ( & the golden era of raw)
- 2005 - 2009: this period marks that my musical taste changed significantly, I explored a lot of genres especially all doom metal all kinds and depressive black metal. Though is my golden age of metal with biggest peak in my metal downloading career: DOOM.
- 2010 - 2011: this is one of tragedy in my musical time,... I got interrupted for the habit of checking Metalstorm reviews. Now I missed all typical bands in the years, and genres, and totally lost in the metal scene. : (
-2011: back to Metallica, some famous Cradle Of Filth stuff, Neo-folk, martial industrial.

Being 27 years as metal addict, my taste has not been changed. I have been listening to all kinds of metals. The title itself is not that good. The word "change" made me feel like heavy metal is not better than metalcore as old thing is not good so we "changed".

To me 2011 could be one of the darkest year in metal history. I really can not find any good album last year....not even one.

Your input is not only weird, but reflect the true fact ! Seems like you are new in metal. Got to listen more of it.

Generally, my metal timeline: Metallica + most Power metal (at that time I even consider power metal is good and not cheesey because it can make the listener moods happy) ----> Children of Bodom (whole discography) -------> whole black metal especially 2 waves of black metal and viking black/ folk------> all kinds of doom (believe me, I know almost kind of doom, funeral doom, death doom,... to traditional one) and a lot underground suicidal/depressive black metal <=== this is my peak time.

Actually from beginning I like power metal, then COB, then symphonic/melodic black, then doom,... you can see almost I been liked are just melodic metal (only funeral doom if you count it as extreme metal). I didnt care much about death and thrash metal.

Even I know a lot of bands from every genres but dont dig each genre (which can be new to me), lol, I cant download it all, and cant buy it,... just some general famous ones tried. Funnily only after 2011, I feel I like some extreme thrash and diggin more on Metallica (though still very picky on thrash bands because I find Metallica is perfectest ).

Now when I look back for the break time with metal (havent checked Metalstorm review), I recognize I no longer have much knowledgeable on metal. A lot new too me: math djent, black metal mixed with post rock, post metal, shoogaze, atmospheric, as well as cyber electronic stuff... indeed more stuff I need to listen

The topic creator could also mean how musical taste has evolved, or applied to my case.