Metal Storm logo
Homebrewing

06.07.2011 - 18:42
MeloDeathViking
So I recently started to brew my own beer, and was wondering if anyone else in the MS community shared the hobby. So far I've brewed a Black IPA and I'm going to bottle my Summer Ale in the next couple of days. I currently do all extract brewing, but hope to make my next back partial grain and eventually get to all grain brewing. Mead is going to work it's way into the equation as well, and might actually end up being next on the list. If any of you guys brew your own stuff then tell us about it here! If you have any ideas or questions feel free to post them here as well. I want this to be a great thread for those interested in brewing their own nectar of the gods.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
06.07.2011 - 18:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I am a huge microbrew buff/nerd/geek, but have never ever brewed anything myself.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.07.2011 - 20:08
MeloDeathViking
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.07.2011 at 18:50

I am a huge microbrew buff/nerd/geek, but have never ever brewed anything myself.

I'm a major micro brew fan which is what got me started on homebrewing. I'm really lucky that where there are at least a dozen major micro breweries within about an hour's drive or so of where I live. If you have some spare money it's definitely worth trying to brew your own. I don't know how readily supplies are available where you live, but in the US once you get to all grain brewing, it's about a third of the price to brew your own compared to buying a case. As long as you take the time to really care about what you're making, the results can be outstanding.
----
06.07.2011 - 20:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Any members of Amon Amarth on the site?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.07.2011 - 21:06
MeloDeathViking
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.07.2011 at 20:41

Any members of Amon Amarth on the site?

Hahahaha the first thing I did when I got interested in brewing mead a few months ago was google it, and the first thing that came up involved Amon Amarth
----
06.07.2011 - 21:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
The members are pretty famous for their mead. I can't remember now but it reminds me of a musician who has his own coffee shop...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.07.2011 - 11:04
Valentin B
Iconoclast

seems microbreweries are quite popular on the east coast nowadays
09.07.2011 - 17:50
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 07.07.2011 at 11:04

You must spend a lot of time on Reddit.

I love Microbrew beer. In fact its all ill drink. Specially out here in the US, the mainstream beer taste like water.
09.07.2011 - 17:56
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 09.07.2011 at 17:50

I love Microbrew beer. In fact its all ill drink. Specially out here in the US, the mainstream beer taste like water.

nah, i just go to quickmeme, they have the funniest pictures of this sort. yeah i heard that most "mainstream" beer tastes utterly shitty there, the question is though: why are they so popular?

recently some new brand called Grolsch made their way on the market here. it tastes like water, the only "new" thing they bring to the table is a fancy handle. fuck it.
09.07.2011 - 18:01
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 09.07.2011 at 17:56

Written by Guest on 09.07.2011 at 17:50

nah, i just go to quickmeme, they have the funniest pictures of this sort. yeah i heard that most "mainstream" beer tastes utterly shitty there, the question is though: why are they so popular?

recently some new brand called Grolsch made their way on the market here. it tastes like water, the only "new" thing they bring to the table is a fancy handle. fuck it.

haha you might like Reddit. Its the basis to the photos on that site.

Who knows why they are so popular. It's pure utter garbage but they still sit there and pour it down their mouths. The funny part is that the mainstream shit beer here in America is mainly owned by Germans now.
09.07.2011 - 18:41
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 09.07.2011 at 18:01

Who knows why they are so popular. It's pure utter garbage but they still sit there and pour it down their mouths. The funny part is that the mainstream shit beer here in America is mainly owned by Germans now.

i think they want to keep all the good mainstream beers like franziskaner wheat or grimbergen to themselves
09.07.2011 - 18:45
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 09.07.2011 at 18:41

i think they want to keep all the good mainstream beers like franziskaner wheat or grimbergen to themselves

Good they can have them. It's all shitty watered down piss beer anyways.
09.07.2011 - 18:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 09.07.2011 at 18:45

don't be that quick to judge. they are thousands of times better than (insert brand)-Lite or whatever. they may not be as unique in taste and are still made by the gallons just for profit, but they are a more than worthy alternative.
09.07.2011 - 20:19
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 09.07.2011 at 18:48

Written by Guest on 09.07.2011 at 18:45

don't be that quick to judge. they are thousands of times better than (insert brand)-Lite or whatever. they may not be as unique in taste and are still made by the gallons just for profit, but they are a more than worthy alternative.

Alternative yes. Point taken. In the United States it is NOT a Alternative, its the main course. Which is very sad.
09.07.2011 - 22:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Grolsch new?
They started way back in 1615. And as for weak. It's your usualy 5% beer, just like Heineken, Amstel, Stella Artois, etc etc. A normal middle of the road lager/pilsner, nothing more nothing less.
Read up on Grlosch here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grolsch
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.07.2011 - 22:54
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.07.2011 at 22:32

Grolsch new?
They started way back in 1615. And as for weak. It's your usualy 5% beer, just like Heineken, Amstel, Stella Artois, etc etc. A normal middle of the road lager/pilsner, nothing more nothing less.

by "here" i mean where I live. It previously wasn't present, but for a few months now it's been. Imo it's much shittier than any of those beers, it's basically water.

It might be though, that this beer is brewed under a license, and so the taste differs from area to area depending on the quality standards of the maker, so i'll give them a little benefit of doubt.
09.07.2011 - 22:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 09.07.2011 at 22:54

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.07.2011 at 22:32

Grolsch new?

by "here" i mean where I live. It previously wasn't present, but for a few months now it's been. Imo it's much shittier than any of those beers, it's basically water.

It might be though, that this beer is brewed under a license, and so the taste differs from area to area depending on the quality standards of the maker, so i'll give them a little benefit of doubt.

Grolsch is vastly superior to Heineken and more bitter. Heineken is the worst shit around.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.07.2011 - 01:41
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Beer is overrated
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
10.07.2011 - 02:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Zombie on 10.07.2011 at 01:41

Beer is overrated

Actually microbrews and other special beers are UNDERRATED (not talking lagers/pilsners here) especially compared to wines. Now, if we're talking about overrated alcoholic drinks it's wine
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.07.2011 - 21:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2011 at 02:53

Written by Zombie on 10.07.2011 at 01:41

Beer is overrated

Actually microbrews and other special beers are UNDERRATED (not talking lagers/pilsners here) especially compared to wines. Now, if we're talking about overrated alcoholic drinks it's wine

I agreed, I löove those , long time no drink, ok no huney beer, I hate those, but home made beer is awesome, strong good, good for summer and grill

When I wa slitle, we use to brew home made wine from berries, plums, apples, and other fruits what grow in my grandmothers garden and also lil strong staff, but now we dont do it, my grandmother are to old and other of us dont know recepy and tries, plants what gave ingreadants are planted when house was build 1922 so pretty old .... I remeber at age 14 I found some home made wines, and strong sfatt in a celler.... I drunk it all hehehe
once I saw red liqued I thought its wine, I open it it was red curant juice .... good quality home made alcohol is good
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing