Metal Storm logo
Help Me Get Into Death Metal

Original post

Posted by Pazu, 07.07.2011 - 16:34
Hello everyone,

so I've been trying for a few months now to get into death metal, not because I want to feel cool or a 'true metal fan' or whatever childish motive born from inferiority complexes one can imagine. No, I just sort of like the sound of it. However, and this is the problem for me, I have yet to find a death metal style I can stick or relate too. There are many albums out there with some songs that I really enjoy. Overall, they all are either too aggressive, too little melodic or just too plain boring, though. I guess my taste walks a very fine line when it comes to death metal, and I have yet to make out that line's borders. But that is where you come into play. I'll give you a few impressions of mine with some death metal bands and albums, so that you might be able to suggest something that I really like.

First of all, I like melodic metal. I've been a fan of power metal for quite a while and also enjoyed some symphonic and progressive stuff every now and then. Therefore the obvious choice for me was melodic death in the beginning. I've tried two albums of Amon Amarth (With Oden On Our Side, Twilight Of The Thunder God) and enjoyed them to some extent. However, the main problem I have with those albums is that all the songs sound really similar to each other. Maybe that is something I can get over after some time, but that has yet to happen. I have tried some Opeth as well. They are more the progressive and atmospheric type, and I enjoy their music when I'm depressed or want to fall asleep, but not when I usually want to listen to music, which is while working on my pc for example. They are just no band, I can casually listen to. Dark Tranquillity (The Gallery, Damage Done) and Scar Symmatry (Holographic Universe) didn't work for me much either. I don't know why though. The death metal album I enjoyed the most so far was 'Tales From The Thousand Lakes' by Amorphis. The thing I really liked about it was how they are melodic, yet not offensively so, and atmospheric, but not to the extent to where you can't listen to it in a happy mood.

I guess that is the sort of death metal I am looking for. However, 'Tales From The Thousand Lakes' is such a unique album in terms of its style, that I have yet to find a band that plays similar music. Someone in the shoutbox suggested Garden of Shadows yesterday. I went to youtube and was quite suprised to see, or rather hear, that they are in fact not too far from the sound of that particular Amorphis album. The thing is though, that they've only released two albums so far and that they've been inactive for over ten years as far as new records go. Who knows if they'll ever release another one? That's why I'm still searching for bands. Oh, and I've listened to Wintersun, which is another melodic death album I like. Besides those 3 to 4 albums I mentioned, I hardly like any death metal that much though, so I'd really appreciate your help.

To summarize: I like death that . . .

. . . is melodic, but not in the way where every song sounds the same
. . . is not too aggressive, I still need to be able to somehow understand the lyrics without reading them
. . . can be atmospheric, but not to the extent where I can't listen to it casually
. . . maybe utilizes clean vocals at times as well
28.07.2011 - 13:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Dööm on 28.07.2011 at 12:26

I might not have seen the full picture).

You could check out their debut. I don't really like the band though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.07.2011 - 05:33
robotsnowman
Maybe try industrial death metal like Fear Factory or Sybreed. That sounds like the kind of thing you want.
----
Hell's child
Is the name you know
And I always raise my sword
Against the liars

In fury
Now I'm asking you
What colour is your blood?
05.08.2011 - 21:25
Steelreaper
Written by Dööm on 28.07.2011 at 12:26

Written by Steelreaper on 28.07.2011 at 04:12

So many Great death bands. It would be a huge list if I were to recommend everything I love. Here are a few: Death of course, Immolation, Nile, Bolt Thrower both melodic and brutal at the same time. How about the great Swedes like Entombed, Vomitory, Amon Amarth, and Dismember.

I just can't help but thinking of Amon Amarth as Viking Power Metal rather than anything Death Metal related (note: I've heard Twilight of The Thunder God and a few other songs from other albums - I might not have seen the full picture).
It's good for loud evenings with friends and plenty of beer and shouting, but I wouldn't present it to anyone as Death Metal.

That is why it is called Melodic Death Metal. It is Death Metal with melody. Listen to their first few albums they bare definitely Death Metal. They have gotten more Melodic over the years.

You can't tell me this is not Death Metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KemWhUZzxM
----
"I see the world's bones, I see the world dead" Max Cavalera
07.08.2011 - 06:21
robotsnowman
I'd like to add In Flames (Melodic Death), The Absence (Melodic Death), Obituary (Death Metal), Death (Death Metal), Gojira (Death Metal), Sepultura (Death/Thrash Metal), and Quo Vadis (Technical Melodic Death Metal).
----
Hell's child
Is the name you know
And I always raise my sword
Against the liars

In fury
Now I'm asking you
What colour is your blood?
09.08.2011 - 05:34
Metal_4Ever
Written by robotsnowman on 07.08.2011 at 06:21

I'd like to add In Flames (Melodic Death), The Absence (Melodic Death), Obituary (Death Metal), Death (Death Metal), Gojira (Death Metal), Sepultura (Death/Thrash Metal), and Quo Vadis (Technical Melodic Death Metal).

Great choices..!!
11.03.2012 - 17:57
Check out Gates Of Ishtar's debut.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
11.03.2012 - 18:07
Branzig
I don't like your taste in DM bands at all, I like more chaotic and brutal sounding bands as compared to the more laxed brand you seem into, so I may not be the best to comment here....

But I would check out Path's Of Possession. They might be up your alley.
----
In Grind We Crust
11.03.2012 - 22:03
Necrox
Written by robotsnowman on 30.07.2011 at 05:33

Maybe try industrial death metal like Fear Factory or Sybreed. That sounds like the kind of thing you want.

I highly reccomend Sybreed's Antares record to you; it's really aggressive yet melodic and it has a great spacey atmosphere, but not the type you can't listen to casually.
13.03.2012 - 02:24
Zealot644
I'd suggest you check out some of Vale of Pnath's stuff from The Prodigal Empire, the new Global Flatline album by Aborted, anything by Hour of Penance, and if you want tech death I'd recommend The Harvest Wombs by Fallujah.

And maybe Fleshgod Apocalypse
26.03.2012 - 08:37
Branzig
^ AHHH! It's a Hydralisk!

Just listen to "Cause of Death" by Obituary...If you don't like that album...then stop looking into death
----
In Grind We Crust
26.03.2012 - 13:01
adace1
You might want to try another Finnish band called Swallow the Sun. They have a lot of atmospherics/melody and kinda sound like Amorphis if they were slowed down. If you like them then definitely check out Barren Earth which features the singer from Swallow the Sun. I would also recommend Kalmah, Insomnium, Eluveitie, Orphaned Land, Septic Flesh, Draconian, Daylight Dies, and November's Doom. All those bands have a folky/orchestral/atmospheric sound so they might also be up your alley. If you want a more traditional death metal sound then I recommend Kataklysm and Bloodbath. Also, if you're into black metal, definitely give Agalloch, Alcest and Enslaved a listen.
26.03.2012 - 13:57
edgethrasherx
Opeth utilizes clean vocals, like you asked for and is pretty melodic, and casual
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5LRReFYus
----
"killing for religion. something i don't understand"-Dave Mustaine
28.03.2012 - 05:31
shinigami98
I would say swallow the sun would fit in that description
30.03.2012 - 16:06
Ikuinen
Try some bands that has growl vocals...but not necessarily a "standard death metal band"...like: Rapture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qHE5uDQqL0&feature=related
Before the dawn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN54E9_0w7Q
Saturnus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfSr6hxauz8
Soulfallen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiZ7rNHi9mk
And when you are done with those songs then try and listen to some Bloodbath http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwqsOLG1q2k
31.03.2012 - 20:23
Grody2themax
Death - Symbolic, Human, The Sound of Perserverance, Leprosy (Leprosy is pretty straight forward death metal, but highly enjoyable once you like it.
Element - The Energy: This album is actually brutal as hell, but you'll find some extremely original melodic parts in this album as well as clean parts.
Opeth - Still Life: This album is truly original and has some pretty death metal and non death metal parts to it.
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse: Pretty brutal. But not in the sense that modern brutal death metal is today. When you first listen to it, you'll be like "yea this is death metal no doubt". But its such an original and really good album actually.
11.04.2012 - 14:09
Fodson
Hey,

good post! I think many people can't put a finger on "why" they're into a specific sub-genre more than another (myself included), and your post made me think about it for a bit... nothing like a bit of healthy self criticism, haha!

Anyway, to hopefully help you out with your request; Have a listen to my band (click image below), judging from what you wrote I think you might like it?!

26.07.2013 - 12:11
Lisetn to Cannibal Corpse. Ask a friend to give you their complete discography box set for your birthday.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
26.07.2013 - 21:01
DyingWorld
Try Edge of Sanity's The Spectral Sorrows. That album might just be what you're looking for. I would also recommend Deceased's Fearless Undead Machines.
27.07.2013 - 02:00
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
I got into DM with At The Gates, Slaughter of the soul. Try out Carcass too, Cryptopsy, Dying Fetus and Misery Index.
15.08.2013 - 14:20
Hisham.7
I think the only way to get into death metal is going back to the roots of it !
listem to Death 's album Symbolic as i think its one of the most influental death metal album and some Deicide also not bad
17.08.2013 - 16:44
ANGEL REAPER
I dont want to sound cynical but we sorta had simmilar case with Oaken (BeastOfMetal) dude and Black metal...
Although i am not that much into death metal i can advise just one thing : give a try to many bands and then you will eventually find the stuff that suits you
Have you tried Arch Enemy yet?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
17.08.2013 - 21:21
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Hisham.7 on 15.08.2013 at 14:20

listem to Death 's album Symbolic as i think its one of the most influental death metal album

He wants to get into death metal.

I recommend using these lists. They've been really helpful for me.
11.09.2013 - 17:40
Aristarchos
Written by DyingWorld on 26.07.2013 at 21:01

Try Edge of Sanity's The Spectral Sorrows. That album might just be what you're looking for. I would also recommend Deceased's Fearless Undead Machines.

I agree with the recommendations.
12.09.2013 - 07:06
Vrylyk
Kataklysm. that is all
04.09.2016 - 22:57
Mikolaj
Account deleted
I think that Morbid Angels first two Albums and Deaths first two are the ideal Albums to start with this genre.
08.09.2016 - 13:00
DualHelix
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 17.08.2013 at 16:44

I dont want to sound cynical but we sorta had simmilar case with Oaken (BeastOfMetal) dude and Black metal...
Although i am not that much into death metal i can advise just one thing : give a try to many bands and then you will eventually find the stuff that suits you

This. Arch Enemy is a great entry point for people who like the more melodic side of things to get into heavier Death Metal. Any of the older albums are awesome, definitely check them out. Malevolent Creation is a thrashy kind of Death band, and I enjoy them a lot also. Also Wilderun, since you seem to like things like that, very melodic.
09.09.2016 - 23:25
ANGEL REAPER
Written by DualHelix on 08.09.2016 at 13:00

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 17.08.2013 at 16:44

This. Arch Enemy is a great entry point for people who like the more melodic side of things to get into heavier Death Metal. Any of the older albums are awesome, definitely check them out. Malevolent Creation is a thrashy kind of Death band, and I enjoy them a lot also. Also Wilderun, since you seem to like things like that, very melodic.

lately i have come to conclusion that Death and Bolt Thrower (especially the last album) can work as well .
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
10.09.2016 - 00:28
Ganondox
Ignore the elitists who just want to you listen to true death metal, obviously that's not what you are after. For starters, I'll recommend In Flames (especially Colony and Clayman), Death (especially Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance), and Bolt Thrower (aside from their first album, it sounds unlistenable by your tastes, but as their career goes on they get more melodic and less grindcore).
10.09.2016 - 00:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Why eould you recommend non-death metal to someone who tries to get into death metal?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2016 - 11:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Probably worth mentioning that the OP hasn't visited this thread in 5 years.