Metal Storm logo
Do you think thrash is the most IMPORTANT metal genre?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 10.07.2011 - 02:01
I think thrash is the most important metal genre because:
1. It took metal to the extreme. 80s thrash bands took heavy metal and upped the ante, so we can say thrash is a bridge between Melodic and Extreme metal.
2. It is the base of Death and Black metal, two of the most important genres. Imagine we have Death or Black metal but there's no thrash. Impossible.
3. Thrashy riffs are used in almost every metal genres. I can thrashy riffs even in Ensiferum!
4. Thrash has some of the best metal bands in the world. The 6 most popular bands on MS have 3 thrash bands in them.
So...Do you agree?

Poll

Do you think thrash is the most important metal genre?

NO
Yes

Total votes: 194
17.09.2016 - 16:05
Ganondox
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 17.09.2016 at 15:13

Written by Ganondox on 17.09.2016 at 11:05

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 17.09.2016 at 09:12

Written by M C Vice on 17.09.2016 at 08:53

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 15.09.2016 at 10:50

Written by __Mailman on 15.09.2016 at 05:03

It helped create death metal,

I'd say no.

It build up from the musical structure of Thrash metal and early black metal but never developed from it.

Death metal has its' different expansion with influences been taken from many genres. It has been discussed before, so I really not in mood to go into details. But, evolution of death metal never been exclusively taken from thrash metal genre.

I'd say death grew from thrash.

Hell lot of difference between "origination" and "taking influences".

thrash influenced death metal = yes

death metal originated from thrash metal = no

If death metal didn't come from thrash, where did it come from?

As I said, "It build-up from the musical structure of Thrash metal and early black metal".

Which is the same as saying it came from thrash. New genres don't just appear out of the ether, every is categorized according to what came before until a new categorization is devised.
17.09.2016 - 16:13
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I'm not denying the fact that death metal been influenced from thrash but what my point is, it is just not thrash metal. It came from early black metal as well. You really can't put a stamp of evolution of death metal solely on the basis of thrash metal.
18.09.2016 - 10:23
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Well, no. But its easily one of the most influential, seeing how many metalcore, death, black and modern thrash bands it has influenced and still continues to do so.
11.10.2016 - 10:27
ToMegaTherion
I think as important as thrash if not more so is the progressive rock scene of the 70s and 80s. Led zeppelin, rush to name a few. The progressive influences are largely what keeps some genres interesting to me.
I would also say the British heavy metal scene of the late 70s and early 80s was also critical. Quite honestly I hear more maiden like riffs even in black metal then I do Metallica or exodus. Indeed I hear a lot of maiden a priest in many thrash bands and not the other way around.
12.10.2016 - 03:09
Bubba H
I don't know if thrash is the most important genre or not. That answer would be purely opinion. I would say that it is my favorite though.
13.10.2016 - 18:18
Cy Nide
I would have to say classic metal/nwobm would have to be the most important. All other genres were born out of that.
17.02.2017 - 12:01
nikarg
Staff
Written by Cy Nide on 13.10.2016 at 18:18

I would have to say classic metal/nwobm would have to be the most important. All other genres were born out of that.

Of course. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden will always be more important that any Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth.
15.05.2021 - 09:21
blackwreath13
In the tree it would probably be dead centre so I think it's not a crazy idea. I think yes.