‹‹ Back to the Metal arena Pages: 1 2 [3]
Users visited: 196  
Search this topic:  
Do you think thrash is the most important metal genre?

NO91
Yes28

Total votes: 119

The original post

Posted by on 10.07.2011 at 02:01
I think thrash is the most important metal genre because:
1. It took metal to the extreme. 80s thrash bands took heavy metal and upped the ante, so we can say thrash is a bridge between Melodic and Extreme metal.
2. It is the base of Death and Black metal, two of the most important genres. Imagine we have Death or Black metal but there's no thrash. Impossible.
3. Thrashy riffs are used in almost every metal genres. I can thrashy riffs even in Ensiferum!
4. Thrash has some of the best metal bands in the world. The 6 most popular bands on MS have 3 thrash bands in them.
So...Do you agree?

Page 3 of 3

Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Fuck

26.12.2011 at 22:52
Written by Mr. Doctor on 26.12.2011 at 22:42

And one big lol with the "age card", that's a classy.

Especially considering Vezzy is over twenty
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Milena
Learning To "X"

26.12.2011 at 22:57
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.12.2011 at 22:52

Especially considering Vezzy is over twenty

There's so many people here creating some alter-egos, so people who don't pay close attention can often get confused.
----
"There comes a time when you look into the mirror and you realize that what you see is all that you will ever be. And then you accept it. Or you kill yourself. Or you stop looking in mirrors."
Guib

27.12.2011 at 22:21
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.12.2011 at 05:32

Written by Guib on 25.12.2011 at 23:26
How is thrash impotent, tell me this

The modern stuff? It's derivative, sterile, and completely lacks the same bite that was present in the original sound.

And it hasn't progressed in over 20 years. The only bands who seem to know how to write interesting thrash metal are the bands that helped pioneer it.

We already discussed that Troy Bieberjoy -_- you know my opinion on this point, and I know yours, never ending circle of disagreement
----
- I love my technical, melodic, my thrash, agressive and fast paced, my sludge, well thought, my heavy, heavier and my metal, ever-growing -
adace1

28.12.2011 at 13:11
I think it's about as important as doom metal which helped produce sludge, stoner, drone, and post-metal. Then there's plain, mid-tempo heavy metal which is just as important as doom and thrash. There really is no "most important metal genre." There's only the genre(s) you like the most.
ANGEL REAPER

29.12.2011 at 02:50
Written by adace1 on 28.12.2011 at 13:11

There really is no "most important metal genre." There's only the genre(s) you like the most.

+1
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
Guib

30.12.2011 at 23:11
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 29.12.2011 at 02:50

Written by adace1 on 28.12.2011 at 13:11

There really is no "most important metal genre." There's only the genre(s) you like the most.

+1

+2
----
- I love my technical, melodic, my thrash, agressive and fast paced, my sludge, well thought, my heavy, heavier and my metal, ever-growing -
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

31.12.2011 at 01:39
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.12.2011 at 22:47
not really

Well there isn't really "wave" or "first wave" or "old wave".
----
Prettier than BloodTears.
Pennywise
Account deleted
  31.12.2011 at 02:15
Its this way: Blues - Electric Blues - Blues Rock - Classic Metal - Punk - NWOBHM/Speed Metal - Thrash Metal - Death/Black.

So yeah Trash is the most important metal genre, since it is the result of NWOBHM and Mötorheads Speed Metal.
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

31.12.2011 at 02:32
Written by Guest on 31.12.2011 at 02:15
So yeah Trash is the most important metal genre, since it is the result of NWOBHM and Mötorheads Speed Metal.

So why wouldn't NWOBHM/speed be the most important?
----
Pennywise
Account deleted
  31.12.2011 at 02:39
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.12.2011 at 02:32

Written by Guest on 31.12.2011 at 02:15

So why wouldn't NWOBHM/speed be the most important?

The same reason why Beat muisc is not the most important rock genre, it was shortlasting worked as fondation for something bigger, more major.

Iron Maiden and Saxon are the only long lasting NWOHM bands and Speed metal envolved in short time into Thrash. Thrash is a mayor genre, the two other worked as predecessor.
RavenKing

31.12.2011 at 02:45
Imo, Thrash is not the most important genre. However, Thrash has been a very important genre as it pioneered extreme metal.
It is entirely subjective here but, imo, the most important metal genre now and the one that is in best shape is Black Metal.
I don't mean that BM doesn't spawn a lot of crap but it is always possible to find new an interestting BM releases, something I can't say about other genres.

By the way, almost all Thrash albums I like are old stuff. I think nearly all new Thrash albums are not interesting.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
RavenKing

31.12.2011 at 02:48
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.12.2011 at 05:32

Written by Guib on 25.12.2011 at 23:26
How is thrash impotent, tell me this

The modern stuff? It's derivative, sterile, and completely lacks the same bite that was present in the original sound.

That's quite often what is happening, indeed. Hellish Crossfire being a good exception. Their stuff is raw and grabs you by the throat.
----
Infernal Eternal

01.01.2012 at 17:16
Trash is awesome but not the best metal genre . Probably old school heavy metal is the best metal genre
----
www.carnagedeathmetal.de - Awesome Fanzine
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

01.01.2012 at 20:52
Written by Infernal Eternal on 01.01.2012 at 17:16
Trash is awesome but not the best metal genre . Probably old school heavy metal is the best metal genre

Best =/= most important. It's more about impact and significance as opposed to overall quality.
----
BoxCar Willy
John Doe

01.01.2012 at 21:25
90% of the threads here are just arguements.
----
Pop punk crusader
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

01.01.2012 at 21:33
Written by BoxCar Willy on 01.01.2012 at 21:25

You wanna argue about that or something?
----
BoxCar Willy
John Doe

01.01.2012 at 21:37
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.01.2012 at 21:33

Written by BoxCar Willy on 01.01.2012 at 21:25

You wanna argue about that or something?

Yes.
----
Pop punk crusader
RavenKing

02.01.2012 at 05:57
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.01.2012 at 20:52

Best =/= most important. It's more about impact and significance as opposed to overall quality.

Either way I look at it, being importance or quality, Thrash beats old school Heavy Metal in my mind.
The only way old school Heavy Metal can beat Thrash is in the outdated department.
----
DJ Mythos

10.03.2012 at 07:18
the fuck does this even mean?!
----
Vapour Bay Radio

Miasmic anti-modern metal.
Infernal Eternal

10.03.2012 at 15:20
Written by RavenKing on 02.01.2012 at 05:57

Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.01.2012 at 20:52

Either way I look at it, being importance or quality, Thrash beats old school Heavy Metal in my mind.
The only way old school Heavy Metal can beat Thrash is in the outdated department.

You're right but you have to consider that all metal subgenres were born from the different aspects of heavy metal.
----
www.carnagedeathmetal.de - Awesome Fanzine
Branzig

10.03.2012 at 15:41
I wouldn't say that thrash is the most important genre of metal, but I would say that thrash acts were some of the most INFLUENTIAL bands to come out and were an essential cog for death and black metalers to learn from.

The speed, the breakdowns and key changes, the minor riffs, the blast beats, the heavy use of chugs, satanic lyrical themes, murder scene lyric themes, war lyric themes....

The way that a lot of thrash acts (Slayer, Sodom, Hellhammer, Bathory, Destruction, Mercyful Fate, etc) INFLUENCED the more "extreme" metal acts was huge in my opinion.
----
In Grind We Crust
Guib

01.06.2012 at 07:03
Written by Branzig on 10.03.2012 at 15:41

I wouldn't say that thrash is the most important genre of metal, but I would say that thrash acts were some of the most INFLUENTIAL bands to come out and were an essential cog for death and black metalers to learn from.

The speed, the breakdowns and key changes, the minor riffs, the blast beats, the heavy use of chugs, satanic lyrical themes, murder scene lyric themes, war lyric themes....

The way that a lot of thrash acts (Slayer, Sodom, Hellhammer, Bathory, Destruction, Mercyful Fate, etc) INFLUENCED the more "extreme" metal acts was huge in my opinion.

I would not consider Mercyful Fate a Thrash Metal act but essentially I agree with what you said

Its probably not the most important (I think there is not really a most important genre in metal) but certainly a huge influence for alot of subgenre.
----
Dentura
Shadow King

07.09.2012 at 11:41
Even though thrash helped to make more extreme metal forms such as black and death metal, thrash metal would not have existed without the earlier styles of speed metal, the NWOBHM, along with the very early pioneers a'la Black Sabbath.
----
...And so death to the falsity of thy former rulers. Thy kingdom of "heaven" burns in a field of fire, and Dentura is the one true God thou must yield thy hearts and souls to in absolute submission. It is his ultimate decree and will unto thee..
Fritillaria
Account deleted
  07.09.2012 at 11:59
Thrash is one of the most influencing metal genres
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight

07.09.2012 at 13:25
I say "no", but it may be because i like heavy metal more than thrash...but i would say both genres were and are same important for the evolution of metal
----
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings
Become dust in the wake of the hymn
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall
No more than a breath on the wind

Jaeryd17‍
Desert Mouse

09.09.2012 at 11:52
Written by Ankläger on 10.07.2011 at 02:59

Wouldn't, you know, METAL have to be the most important genre, since that's where METAL came from?

1. METAL took METAL to the... METAL. And did various things to it.
2. It is the base of Thrash (and, of course, NWOBHM, as Marcel said), the bast of Death and Black metal, two of the most important genres.
3. METAL riffs are used in almost every metal genre (and even some outside it).
4. METAL has some of the best metal bands in the world. The 2389 most popular bands on MS have 2389 METAL bands in them.

I don't get your logic.

I think Rock is an even more important genre. Without rock, there wouldn't be metal, and since heavy metal is just a sub-genre of rock (albeit a HUGE sub-genre), all sub-genres of metal owe themselves to rock.

I know that wasn't your point, your point was to tell him how flawed his logic is. My point is that MUSIC is the most important influence for all genres. Without the invention of music, none of this shit would matter. This is also why I'm not a pure metalhead, I like plenty of other genres as well.

So what I'm trying to say is that I agree with you, this poll is kinda pointless. I of course voted NO.
----
"It is not your sin—it is your self-satisfaction that crieth unto heaven; your very sparingness in sin crieth unto heaven!

Where is the lightning to lick you with its tongue? Where is the frenzy with which ye should be inoculated?"

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Login or register to post here.