Metal Storm logo
Long growls/screams/whatevaucallit

18.07.2011 - 22:39
moe5512
Hi! I have a bit of a problem; when I'm doing long screams, you know, the "yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrr:s" I can't do it for very long, just a few seconds then I need to take a breath again. Why's that? I can do clean sounds for very long so its nothing wrong with my lungs . But anyhow, tips?
28.07.2011 - 22:23
Ankläger
You might be exhaling too quickly (which I think can damage your throat, but I'm no expert)
30.07.2011 - 03:55
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
I have the same problem too...
01.08.2011 - 17:41
Ankläger
Do you exhale, or do you push the air out with your chest?
01.08.2011 - 22:47
moe5512
Maybe this sounds stupid but what's the difference?

edit: when I growl a lot of air is coming out of my lungs and I can't figure out how to decrease the amount of air coming out but still keep a good growling sound
04.08.2011 - 18:31
Maybe you're just more of a SINGER than growler. Growling has a very important place in metal music, but (with certain exceptions) I would rather hear somebody sing all day long and not growl once than something with all growls and no singing.
----
I am doom - your lost soul
04.08.2011 - 21:15
moe5512
Maybe I'm both
19.08.2011 - 14:56
Don Martin
le fu-
I don't know how these guys from Cephalotripsy do this shit. Their singer goes like: "Bruuuuuuuuuuu" for maybe more than 10 seconds, I can only do that for maybe 5.
----
What a tackastrophe!
20.08.2011 - 00:35
Metalorgy
Written by Ankläger on 28.07.2011 at 22:23

You might be exhaling too quickly (which I think can damage your throat, but I'm no expert)

Indeed, exhaling too much is not very good for your vocal cords.

To better control how much air comes out of your lungs, and thus controlling how long you can hold a note (or growl), you have to learn to breath in and out using your abdomen or belly, not your chest/ribcage. This is a key technique used by ALL good singers, whether they are metal or not. I found a (silly) video that explains the difference very well, listen to the fat woman:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4397153_singing-breathing-mechanism.html

I'm sure you can find a better video: basically you have to "expand" your belly/abdomen when breathing in, and compressing it while breathing out.
20.08.2011 - 18:05
Vombatus
Potorro
I didn't understand alot what she said, but I think a do the same. Contract the abdomen, that makes you control the amount of breath expelled. Letting it out really slowly (sometimes almost blocking all the air) I can make 30 seconds growls/shrieks
22.08.2011 - 05:28
Quick question. I'm a death metal vocalist as well as bass player. I'm a pretty good growler and I can almost shriek like Travis Ryan, but I have a problem. My death metal vocals sound more like Erik Rundqvist from Vomitory, but I'm trying to get a sound more reminiscent to Glen Benton on Stench of Redemption. Any ideas on how I could do that or am I just screwed and have to deal with it.
01.09.2011 - 21:06
moe5512
I must say that after some practice I growl much longer! Also don't have to warm up really at all so I guess practice is the answer to the topic
02.09.2011 - 12:55
ANGEL REAPER
All you needed was stamina...after 6 months i managed to keep a growl for a some 60-70 sec...i know that some growlers can do it for minute and half...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
03.09.2011 - 02:25
. . . so I guess my question went right down the shitter looz
03.09.2011 - 12:55
ANGEL REAPER
Written by MesiasDesmorphus on 03.09.2011 at 02:25

. . . so I guess my question went right down the shitter looz

the answer is simple...your voice range is not wide enough to do that...you may mimic it but exactly the same type of growl will be something you will probably have to forget...
more info can be found on this forum...there is a thread about it here ...
http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=7416
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"