Metal Storm logo
Ensiferum

Original post

Posted by Stigmatized, 18.05.2006 - 03:59
Here is the new topic for the new forum. The DVD is due out in June and the new album is supposedly set for a February 2007 release. Enjoy!
07.02.2007 - 14:09
Skald
Account deleted
So far from their latest material I like their cover of Uriah Heep's "Lady in Black" the most. It has really cool vocals (and lyrics too, but that's not Ensiferum's contribution ).

Anyway, which songs were written by Jari? I know he wasn't the main songwritter in Ensiferum and he actually felt his creativity wasn't meeting its needs while working in Ensiferum. Still, pity they kicked him out. Should've wait 'till he could tour with them again. On the other hand it's probably better for Jari that he has full control over his creativity now.
07.02.2007 - 15:32
APOHAKC
The Bard
@Skald
I read, but I can't stand 100% behind that, that Jari was creative force of Ensiferum, many great riffs was his work also he have great voice, much better than this guy, only my opinion, I hate voice of this new guy.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
08.02.2007 - 07:13
Judas
The Amputator
You can debate all day whether it was better for Ensiferum for Jari to leave or not, but the fact remains that Jari made the decision because HE WANTED TO LEAVE. And as it's impossible to find anything wrong with that decision based on the awesomeness of Wintersun and the continuation on Ensiferum's might, we should thank him for doing that, because Ensiferum haven't weakened, and we have a great new band in Wintersun. Therefore, there is no need for a debate.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
08.02.2007 - 10:22
Skald
Account deleted
Written by [user id=3160] on 08.02.2007 at 03:05

@Skald - He wasn't kicked out, he made a decision and the rest of the band agreed that he would leave after Iron was done so he could do Wintersun and they could continue. Which is why Petri was recruited in 2004 for touring but as he is the only man for the job that's why he replaced Jari permanently.
Well that's not what Jari says, at least. Seems to me he wanted to perform in both bands, but he was forced to choose between them.

"So they decided to try to find a replacement and kick me out of the band. I can understand their decision and I hold no grudge. I´m just sad that things had to go this way. I would have chosen both Ensiferum and my music, but since that wasn´t possible, my choice was clear."
-- from http://www.ensiferum.com/e_html/e_news_jarinstatement.htm
08.02.2007 - 14:10
APOHAKC
The Bard
I don't really care how he lets band, all I was saying is that I really liked his vocals and new Ensiferum singer is not something I like, new songs are not bad but old Ensiferum is much, much better.
----
09.02.2007 - 00:17
TYK
Account deleted
Heya! We're a 80s metal / folk metal band, our main influence is Ensiferum. We just recorded our first demo and I'd be great to get some opinions of it. You can listen to it here: http://www.mikseri.net/tammiyonkilta or download directly at http://www.mikseri.net/music/play.php?id=249529&type=dl
09.02.2007 - 00:27
Warman
Erotic Stains
My band are currently thinking of doing a cover of Treacherous Gods, it's not that hard.
----
09.02.2007 - 04:41
marts
Account deleted
Victory songs sounds amazing so far, the songs i've heard. Petri F*cken rules and not many people seem to agree, sadly. I like Ensi just as much with Petri as with Jari.. different for sure but Markus and Sami are VERY good clean singers so they don't lose as much as people say/think... Markus wrote most of the songs anyway.

DEATHBRINGGGGER FROMMM THE SKYYYYY

:p
09.02.2007 - 10:57
TYK
Account deleted
We have been thinking about covering Iron. What a great song! Our guitar player auditioned for Ensiferum some years ago after Jari left. Now some of our songs are really Ensiferum"ish"
09.02.2007 - 15:11
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by [user id=20425] on 09.02.2007 at 00:17

Heya! We're a 80s metal / folk metal band, our main influence is Ensiferum. We just recorded our first demo and I'd be great to get some opinions of it. You can listen to it here: http://www.mikseri.net/tammiyonkilta or download directly at http://www.mikseri.net/music/play.php?id=249529&type=dl

I downlloaded one song, it is good
----
09.02.2007 - 15:24
anakin.ro
Account deleted
So many words about this Petri...I think he's great and he makes a good combination with the two guys that sing clean vocals (Markus and Sami). Markus wrote most of Ensiferum songs. I think Ensiferum lost a great man when Jari left, but I dont think that he's ireplaceble (like for example Freddie Mercury for Queen or Klaus Meine for the Scorpions).I really think Petri does a great job and he sings very good live (in my oppinion). Instead of argueing about Jari and Petri, I think that everyone must be happy because we have 2 great bands now: Ensiferum and Wintersun. Personaly, I like Ensiferum songs more than Wintersun's but that's just my taste. And by the way, I think Dragonheads is good too...about wintersun I can say that the debut album was (and still is) a masterpiece...I hope the second will be the same.About the last album of Ensiferum I know it'll be great...check out One more magic potion and Deathbringer (from their myspace page)....
11.02.2007 - 15:55
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Yeah I got hold of "One more magic potion" and Im still undecided about it. At the moment it doesnt sound like Ensiferum to me anymore and perhaps Im listening too intently on how much Petri just doesnt sound at all like Jari haha. I think OMMP is sort of in the same vein as the songs on the Dragonheads cd and not so much like "Iron" or "Ensiferum". But who knows maybe the song will grow on me, I do know that Petri was fucking stellar on the Anniversary DVD so perhaps he will do really well on "Victory Songs" as well.
11.02.2007 - 17:04
Baz Anderson
Staff
i really like 'One More Magic Potion'
i think it maybe isnt the best stuff they have done - but it gets the job done. i enjoyed it anyway
i think if the whole album is going to be like that then i will enjoy it very much
13.02.2007 - 01:54
Black_Sheep
btw, the new album (Victory Songs) rocks! ...it's really good. altought it would have been better with Jari on vocals & lead guitar... :S
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
13.02.2007 - 12:53
Skald
Account deleted
*cough* It's not released yet

Anyway, imo Ensiferum went downhill with this one. I like Dragonheads, but for gods! Petri's growls get so boring on Victory Songs.
However, the clean vocals are pure excellency. Really improved compared to previous albums. I can't get enough of Wanderer song (no Petri growls on it either!).
Guitars aren't as good as on previous stuff either, but it was pretty obvious this would happen.

Overall good album, but nothing special.
14.02.2007 - 14:47
Baz Anderson
Staff
I just ordered the live DVD - it should be arriving in a weeks time or something like that - but I am really looking forward to seeing it!
they play a few songs from 'Dragonheads' on the DVD though and I wont know them because I dont have that E.P.
14.02.2007 - 19:22
Baz Anderson
Staff
wow! they play the whole E.P.??
I am going to have to try and my hands on it somehow..
15.02.2007 - 23:18
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Yeah i got hold of "Victory Songs" and as I feared its a bit of a let down. It just doesnt have to punch Im used to hearing on the previous albums....Petri does a good job but its like the whole soul of Ensiferum is just not there anymore and it sounds like any other viking metal band.

There are some pretty cool songs with some nice riffing and melodies like "Blood is the price of Glory" and "Raised by the Sword"....but Im afraid theres nothing that really makes me punch the air like "Windrider", "Iron" or "Slayer of Light". It might take me a few more listens but at the moment its a bit of a watered down version of the once great Ensiferum.

..However I see there are some folks on here who like the EP (I thougt its quite lame) so you would very likely enjoy the new album more than I am currently.
16.02.2007 - 00:35
anakin.ro
Account deleted
lol guys...you are talking about an unreleased album...I dont know what to say...so I found out that the new album will be quite different than Iron. It's curious that when a band releases 2-3 albums folowing the same line they get a lot of critics for that. Here we have Ensiferum that will launch a new album that some say it's different that Iron or their first release.... That's not good either...Think about that....
And about the Petri & Jari discutions... guys...it's just growling vocals, deep down they are the same...yea maybe Jari's vocals are more tight, and he plays guitars a little better (I dont see that either)...That's good, but Wintersun doesnt have Markus and Sami wich make a great combination together with Petri (Check out the DVD)
16.02.2007 - 01:54
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Black_Sheep on 13.02.2007 at 01:54

btw, the new album (Victory Songs) rocks! ...it's really good. altought it would have been better with Jari on vocals & lead guitar... :S

yeah, I share your opinion
----
16.02.2007 - 02:51
Skald
Account deleted
Written by [user id=20417] on 16.02.2007 at 00:35

Here we have Ensiferum that will launch a new album that some say it's different that Iron or their first release.... That's not good either...Think about that....
Read carefully. Ensiferum still follow their style. The problem is the songs are very generic and as was already said - rather watered down. And saying there's no difference in quality between Jari's and Petri's growls is sheer nonsense.
I'd think it would be a very good album for a band that only enters the metal scene, but for a band that so happens to be the most popular folk/viking metal band out there? It's rather poor.
16.02.2007 - 07:50
anakin.ro
Account deleted
see Skald ??
It's more nonsense to put this into discution, because some people like Petri and some Jari....I like them both the same, even though I see Jari's growlings a little bit superiour than Petri's....But I hate the fact that I see many people saying that Ensiferum is lost without Jari or ensiferum is nothin without him. That's nonsence...Jari isnt ireplaceble. Yea, he's good, he's briliant, but Petri does a hell of a job replacing him, and also sounds very good live...I also think he blends with Ensiferum music. I know Jari has a lot of fans since the days he was in Ensiferum and maybe the guys shouldnt kick hime out of the band...The oposite example of what they did can be seen at my all time favourite band: Scorpions...in 1981 Klaus Meine (the singer, I guess you all know him) had big problems with his voice, cancelling tours and album recordings...He even wanted to quit and told the guys to find a new singer. But the other members (Rudolf Schenker in particular) didnt want that and they all stood by him with his vocal chords operation and with his recovery...And the result was Blackout, one of the best hard rock albums in my opinion. And they still sing to these days (the band was formed in 1965 !!), so just respect for them and their devotion to music. So yes, I agree that Ensiferum guys should have waited for Jari (after all he was with them since the begining)...But again, Petri replaced him very good....I'm so damn curious about the new Wintersun album comming soon....
16.02.2007 - 09:46
marts
Account deleted
+1 I'd prefer Jari in Wintersun, although i love earlier Ensiferum this is a refreshing awesome album. Love it 10/10
16.02.2007 - 11:38
Skald
Account deleted
Written by [user id=20417] on 16.02.2007 at 07:50

see Skald ??
It's more nonsense to put this into discution, because some people like Petri and some Jari....
Yeah, as much nonsense as saying Britney Spears is a lousy singer, seeing as many people love her, right? My favorite band is Arkona, but this doesn't stop me from stating they have poor guitar parts and not really impressive drums either. And I won't deny there are many bands much better than them.

And yeah, Petri blens pretty well. Too bad the point is for the artist to stand out. Metal isn't pop music, it's not supposed to blend everything. And just listen to Lai Lai Hei or any Wintersun song and then anything Petri performed. How the hell can one say there's no difference in their guitar abilities?
Jari is considered one of the greatest artists in the entire Finnish metal scene. Petri is just another average musician that happens to play in some catchy bands.

Said that, I'm sure fans of Norther and other extreme power metal bands will love it. Because as much as I like Norther, Petri bores me in there as well and the watered down Ensiferum really makes me think it sounds like folky Norther.
16.02.2007 - 16:34
anakin.ro
Account deleted
No, Ensiferum doesnt sound like a folkish norther (in my opinion)...Norther doesnt have Markus and Sami
16.02.2007 - 17:33
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Written by [user id=1868] on 16.02.2007 at 11:38

Written by [user id=20417] on 16.02.2007 at 07:50

see Skald ??
It's more nonsense to put this into discution, because some people like Petri and some Jari....
Yeah, as much nonsense as saying Britney Spears is a lousy singer, seeing as many people love her, right? My favorite band is Arkona, but this doesn't stop me from stating they have poor guitar parts and not really impressive drums either. And I won't deny there are many bands much better than them.

And yeah, Petri blens pretty well. Too bad the point is for the artist to stand out. Metal isn't pop music, it's not supposed to blend everything. And just listen to Lai Lai Hei or any Wintersun song and then anything Petri performed. How the hell can one say there's no difference in their guitar abilities?
Jari is considered one of the greatest artists in the entire Finnish metal scene. Petri is just another average musician that happens to play in some catchy bands.

Ditto...

I know we can talk about this until we're blue it wont change the fact that Jari isnt in Ensiferum anymore, but its also important (for me) to make a point of the nosedive Ensiferum took in his absence. Their first two albums are seriously two of the best records ive ever heard....and to "progress" from that to "Victory Songs" is quite upsetting in a way.

Petri was very good on the DVD I was real impressed but despite that it seems like the band has become too folky....and not viking enough (if you sort of follow what i mean). I miss the trumpet sounding keyboards like on "Tale of Revenge" and I miss the overall rugged and 'sword in the hand' type metal that they used to play. Now the songs are a little uninspired and the riffs are too obvious or generic (as previously mentioned). I think one thing that really did change Ensiferum's whole approach was the fact that Petri cant do clean vocals where Jari used to do that along with his growl...and to compensate for his absence, they now use much more of those dual-clean vocals stuff which just doesnt sound like Ensiferum anymore.

Ensiferum was and never will be like Wintersun when it comes to complexity of the songwriting, but eventho Jari didnt do the majority of the writing while at Ensiferum, I get the distinct feeling that somewhere along the way (after Jari's departure) a lot of creative writing also flew out the window and the songs which followed just dont have the killer hooks and shredding and atmosphere anymore...and now they sort of seem like a folky-type powermetal band

On the whole Petri/Jari thing I just feel that whenever I hear Jari on whatever album for whatever band im like "damn...this dude just oozes viking!" whereas I just kinda see Petri as this dude from Norther who happened to be friends with Jari and replaced him.
17.02.2007 - 03:01
Does any body have the 10th anniversery DVD, not sure if I should get it or not...
24.02.2007 - 22:16
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Bleeding_Rainbow on 17.02.2007 at 03:01

Does any body have the 10th anniversery DVD, not sure if I should get it or not...

yes!!!!
if you like Ensiferum it is well worth getting!!! I love it!! it is fantstic!!

here is a question for everyone..

do Finnish people call Ensiferum 'Enska' or something???
25.02.2007 - 03:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
So I finally got around to picking up 'Iron', and I gotta say its probably one of the most solid albums of all time, I havnt heard 'Victory Songs' yet but its gonna be hard to rival with 'Iron'
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.02.2007 - 03:54
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 25.02.2007 at 03:11

So I finally got around to picking up 'Iron', and I gotta say its probably one of the most solid albums of all time, I havnt heard 'Victory Songs' yet but its gonna be hard to rival with 'Iron'

you should get their first album - 'Ensiferum' if you havent already got it..
I think that is better