Metal Storm logo
Dimmu Borgir

Original post

Posted by Warman, 02.10.2006 - 14:19
I can't believe that there is not an official thread about Dimmu Borgir. I just recently started listening to this wonderful band. Their first album "For all tid" is perfect and extremely beautiful.

So post your opinions and stuff that has anything to do with this band!
10.03.2007 - 18:39
Skalden
Account deleted
Theres a leaked version on varius Bit Torrent trackers (thepiratebay.org for one).
Ive givin it a listen, nothing really great, concidering the amount of time that theyve had to write the album... There are a few cool parts on it, but nothing (like Scarrowed Muse said) that really jumps out at you IMO...

about Stormblåst re-release. its basically just a (clean) clone of the original, plus a new track, Sorgenskammer del II, which is pretty good. Otherwise it was a compleatly unnecacary release, mainly aimed at trying to squeze as much cash out of a previuse release (there really wasnt any need to remake it).
10.03.2007 - 23:36
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
^^ The booklet of the re-release of Stormblast say's why they re-did it, they just weren't satisfied with the original, despite how they recognized their fan's already held the album very high. It was primarily for personal reason's, not to mention the keyboard's on one of the original track's was stolen from a video game by the ex-keyboardist. I was glad they did a relrease, I enjoyed the bonus DVD, the booklet with a bunch of old photo's and the cloth patch.

Something else to add about "In Sorte Diaboli". It seem's kind of short, maybe that's just because it all flow's so evenly that I don't notice too much when the song's change over, some of the song's are kind of short such as, "The Sacrilegious Scorn" being 3:58 and "The Fallen Arise" being 2:59.
10.03.2007 - 23:42
BlackGoTH
Account deleted
Dimmu Borgir is one of my favorite groups of black metal i love their style their lyrics my favorite album is Spiritual Black Dimension i think that its the best album they did still waiting for "In sorte diaboli" i can't wait to listen to it
11.03.2007 - 10:40
Anathemani@c
Written by [user id=22214] on 10.03.2007 at 23:42

Dimmu Borgir is one of my favorite groups of black metal i love their style their lyrics my favorite album is Spiritual Black Dimension i think that its the best album they did still waiting for "In sorte diaboli" i can't wait to listen to it

Using a fullstop, would be really great!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
11.03.2007 - 10:44
Anathemani@c
I admire them for having us given the "Enthrone darkness triumphant" but on the other hand, I cannot stand that they are another band-like Cradle Of Filth- to compete how many alboums they sell each time... They do everything for publicity in the most mainstream way, I think.. Although "Death cult Armageddon" was a nice alboum, too
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
11.03.2007 - 15:04
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
New album is PATHETIC.
11.03.2007 - 16:29
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Hembrom on 11.03.2007 at 15:04

New album is PATHETIC.

New album is STUNNING

really, I love new Dimmu Borgir, "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia" is one of my all-times favourite albums, "Death Cult Armageddon" is weaker but it has awesome songs, but I'm really excited with "In Sorte Diaboli"... it is strong in many ways.
11.03.2007 - 18:29
Skalden
Account deleted
The clean vocals on In Sorte make me think of Borknagars latest... The intro just makes me think of Starwars... its a little bit dull i think as an album, hardly any blastbeats... however, a plus is that its alot more guitar oriented
12.03.2007 - 03:09
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Maybe I am missing something, but I have been wondering this for a while; what has Dimmu done to gain the bad rep?

I can see the differance in style and quality between their early work and later work, but I think each album is fairly distinguishable and they each have their own indentity, if you will. Personally I am glad that all their stuff doesn't sound too much alike, they haven't lost their characteristic's that made them what they are, and the prospect of the latest album being about Medieval Europe and the struggle of pagan culture versus the church seem's to still be pretty black to me.

Perhap's their popularity has grown because of marketting and going the length of commercialization, or maybe it's a bit of that plus the fact that they are a talented band. Since they're symphonic black metal I think that give's them some lead way to alter their sound periodically, and if people want something more consistant, harsher and raw then there are plenty of other great BM band's out there to listen to.

That's just my opinion though. Dimmu put on one of the best show's I've seen a few year's ago, it was just at a relatively small venue, no pyrotechnic's or anything, just them playing music. Having seen Slayer a few time's, Ozzfest '99 and other misc. metal band's, I still think Dimmu was one if not my favourite performer (then again it's impossible to out-do the original Black Sabbath line-up, as seen during Ozzfest '99.)

When I heard Dimmu was to release a new album I admit that I was a bit precarious about the album, that it might suck and that they may some how do a CoF, but I find myself listening to In Sorte Diaboli a few time's in a row when I put it on. CoF on the other hand have constantly disappointed me over the year's, Thornography is shit, I can think of maybe two song's that I like off of it, and their last two DVD's were terrible, I only bought the last one because I had high hope's that it would redeem them somehow, and I was very mistaken because it's just plain awful.
12.03.2007 - 03:20
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Bitter Dawn on 12.03.2007 at 03:09

Maybe I am missing something, but I have been wondering this for a while; what has Dimmu done to gain the bad rep?

I've always wondered this as well. I even asked this question on an earlier page (if I remember correctly) and no one was able to give me an answer.
12.03.2007 - 06:55
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by [user id=5080] on 11.03.2007 at 16:29

New album is PATHETIC.

New album is STUNNING

really, I love new Dimmu Borgir, "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia" is one of my all-times favourite albums, "Death Cult Armageddon" is weaker but it has awesome songs, but I'm really excited with "In Sorte Diaboli"... it is strong in many ways.

Well , thats ur personal opinion.

For me dimmu was till ... for all tid adn stormblast ..... rest was ok or say crap
12.03.2007 - 09:41
Skalden
Account deleted
Im a bit disapointed that they didnt do anything (or the entire In Sorte Diaboli album) in norwegian, thats one thing that i really appreciated about DCA...
12.03.2007 - 14:43
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Listening to a couple of tracks from the new album, In Sorte Diaboli. I hope my comments on it are as objective and not influenced by all the crap they got thrown in, wether deserved or not.

Vocals
Uhh. Ok. The vocals done by Shagrath are one thing I didn't like from DCA, and they haven't really changed. They just aren't extreme, not rasped enough. They are not completely bad though, but he could do much more 'evil'.

Drums
Second thing that got my attention: Drums. They sound good, fast and not too monotone. They're good.

Strings
Strings are good, some nice melodies here and there, though I wouldn't mind if Dimmu would be a bit more of a guitar-driven band.

Keys
Maybe the core of the band nowadays. And I think one of the main reasons why I don't like the newer stuff as much as the old stuff. I'm just not too fond of keys. In some bands they are good (i.e. Anorexia, Kataxu) but with Dimmu Borgir they are just average. Sometimes haunting and overwhelming, sometimes out of place and boring.

So yeah. This is pretty much it after the first listen, and only a couple of songs. I don't think I will buy this album, because there is WAAAY better stuff out there, but on the other, maybe this is a step forward? Or least not another step backwards..
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.03.2007 - 17:51
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Im not all that fond of the new album....theres a pretty serious lack of symphonic elements on this album and it feels that this is very much a more guitar driven album than their previous. Now thats not a bad thing at all....its great, however the album seems too "riffy" and theres a lack of really memorable melodies. Lets face it, DCA was really catchy and as bad as some people think that is, it was a reason why i enjoyed the previous album so much. ISD just doesnt have the killer stand out tracks like DCA had and the clean vocals by Vortex also arent as beautiful as on, say, "Allehelgens.." or "Progenies".

The drums are crazy, but that was a given, seeing as Hellhammer took over the duties on sticks.

I suppose i would need to listen to it more and more...its a much heavier album than last time, pity its all a little samey for me.
12.03.2007 - 21:32
Damnated
Churchburner
since everyone is talking about the new album, here's my 2 cents. i actually enjoyed In Sorte Diaboli. the most notable thing is the percussions: Hellhammer is insane. insanely good that is. another good thing was the heaviness and rawness of the tunes. last time i checked dimmu played elevator music. the change was good. the album lacked, however, of originality and diversity, but i guess that's to much to ask from todays best black metal band. this album brings hope that maybe one day this band will born again.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.03.2007 - 21:49
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Wow, never expected to hear that from you, Damnated.

But yeah, Hellhammer does his work the way it needs to be done! (A banger smiley to give my statement extra power and to add some cheese.)
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.03.2007 - 21:56
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 12.03.2007 at 21:32

the album lacked, however, of originality and diversity, but i guess that's to much to ask from todays best black metal band. this album brings hope that maybe one day this band will born again.

lol, funny way to look at it indeed.
12.03.2007 - 22:07
Kuningas_Arthur
Account deleted
Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia is the best album from our beloved Dimmu, I just love "Kings Of The Carnival Creation"!! It's a perfect song.
12.03.2007 - 22:12
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Lucas on 12.03.2007 at 21:49

yeah, i'm becoming open minded and my opinion is somewhat the same as southern wind's
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.03.2007 - 22:17
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Damnated on 12.03.2007 at 22:12

Written by Lucas on 12.03.2007 at 21:49

yeah, i'm becoming open minded and my opinion is somewhat the same as southern wind's

Well, you are officialy kicked out of our GRIM ANDETH KVLT group. Sorry man.
But you have a new good album in your collection.
----

12.03.2007 - 22:48
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Lucas on 12.03.2007 at 22:17

Well, you are officialy kicked out of our GRIM ANDETH KVLT group. Sorry man.
But you have a new good album in your collection.

noooooo....*slashes troat*. i will haunt you, though =D
----

12.03.2007 - 22:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
wow everyone has a completely different opinion. That means that it's probably good

I'm waiting until it comes out
13.03.2007 - 02:03
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Hembrom on 12.03.2007 at 06:55

New album is PATHETIC.

New album is STUNNING

For me dimmu was till ... for all tid adn stormblast ..... rest was ok or say crap

you must be gay

no, seriously... I understand people that people who dislike new Dimmu Borgir must hate In Sorte Diaboli, becuase it is basically a new recycling of the (imo) great recipe that began to be constructed since "Enthrone Darkness Triumphant"... absolutely nothing new, and I have to say I expected something more original (like DCA tried to be and failed), but what is delivered is truly well constructed. The albums is very heavy, the clean vocals choruses are awesome like always, and it has one of the best Shagrath's vocal performance ever.... I really like this shit and I'm actually glad they were conservative with their sound.
13.03.2007 - 07:48
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by [user id=5080] on 13.03.2007 at 02:03

New album is PATHETIC.

New album is STUNNING

you must be gay

no, seriously... I understand people that people who dislike new Dimmu Borgir must hate In Sorte Diaboli, becuase it is basically a new recycling of the (imo) great recipe that began to be constructed since "Enthrone Darkness Triumphant"... absolutely nothing new, and I have to say I expected something more original (like DCA tried to be and failed), but what is delivered is truly well constructed. The albums is very heavy, the clean vocals choruses are awesome like always, and it has one of the best Shagrath's vocal performance ever.... I really like this shit and I'm actually glad they were conservative with their sound.

haha , dude stop calling people gay because of ur stupid taste.

There is nothing good in new Dimmu album , it sucked till core.I know how ETD n PEM sounds like and this album is nothing in front of that one. They have hellhammer in the new album .... and seriously i was expecting something different from them .... but this album is no good .. TOO much of melo and keyboard is everywhere , they dint even able to use hellhammer properly. They could have done better , better then the new album. huh ?!
13.03.2007 - 22:50
SETHULHU
yogi_lb@hotmail.com
Elite
keep the posting clean and do not haras each other.iam sending warnings to those parties deserving of such. behave.
----
This site is great. FOR ME TO POOP ON.

reBubblefuckered !!!BAAAALEEETEEED!!!
13.03.2007 - 22:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Just got my ticket for Dimmu/Unearth/Devildriver in May! ill be sure to post a concert review when it comes!
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
13.03.2007 - 23:13
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Am I the only one or do you guys also here a little Immortal in the new Dimmu? Some songs like "Sinister Awakening", especially when the vocals start, sound exactly like Immortal to me, the same rythmic/semi-monotonous riffs and all...
14.03.2007 - 00:12
Skalden
Account deleted
i think that concidering that they DO have hellhammer to utilies, the album seems very slow. Hes capable of doing much faster stuff, and i dont like the sound of the new clean vocals; personally, i think the cleans on DCA were better... However, Shagraths vocals are ok i guess.

I havnt had the time yet but when i do, ill be interested in studeing the lyrics and see what theyve made of it. if its philosophical or what...
14.03.2007 - 01:05
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Hembrom on 13.03.2007 at 07:48

New album is PATHETIC.

New album is STUNNING

you must be gay

There is nothing good in new Dimmu album , it sucked till core.I know how ETD n PEM sounds like and this album is nothing in front of that one. They have hellhammer in the new album .... and seriously i was expecting something different from them .... but this album is no good .. TOO much of melo and keyboard is everywhere , they dint even able to use hellhammer properly. They could have done better , better then the new album. huh ?!

shut up you fag, just got my first warning in 2 years for your fault!

Anyway... I don't think there's any need to explain I wasn't being serious.

Going back to Dimmu Borgir, I really think they started a new style with "Enthrone Darkness Triumphant", which is the same one they keep playing of course with variations, but repeating formulas that make them recognizable. The way of making the clean choruses is extraordinary if you ask me, and the bombastic yet ceremonial atmopshere is pretty blood-chilling... I hadn't put atention in Hellhammer's work on the new album yet, I will next time.
14.03.2007 - 06:32
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by [user id=5080] on 14.03.2007 at 01:05

Written by Hembrom on 13.03.2007 at 07:48

New album is PATHETIC.

New album is STUNNING

you must be gay

shut up you fag, just got my first warning in 2 years for your fault!

Anyway... I don't think there's any need to explain I wasn't being serious.

Going back to Dimmu Borgir, I really think they started a new style with "Enthrone Darkness Triumphant", which is the same one they keep playing of course with variations, but repeating formulas that make them recognizable. The way of making the clean choruses is extraordinary if you ask me, and the bombastic yet ceremonial atmopshere is pretty blood-chilling... I hadn't put atention in Hellhammer's work on the new album yet, I will next time.

lol , you got warning

Well , lets stop the discussion here .... there is nothing to say abt New Dimmu , they sucked !! Seriously they should stop playing music now