Metal Storm logo
Tristania

Original post

Posted by Zeraphine, 18.05.2006 - 11:00
i searched and there was no topic for Tristania so here it is!

as many of you may know already Tristania's upcoming album is called Illumination and it's planned to be released sometime in september. any expectations?

i, personally, have no expectations because i know it'll be something different, as always, so i'm just waiting anxiously to be surprised.
10.11.2009 - 06:01
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Ernis on 09.11.2009 at 23:32

Written by Dark Cornatus on 09.11.2009 at 02:07

I loved the first three albums, they were all different, but in good ways. Ashes and Illumination were pretty disappointing, there is only one song off each that id call good.

Just a bit of trivia. I was wondering where they got their name from (you've got to admit, its pretty awesome)? So i looked it up and it turns out to be a local species of Water Gum local to me here in NSW, Australia. If you go to Wiki, it even has "This article is about the plant. For the gothic metal band, see Tristania (band)." LOL.

Just type Tristania's sister band Sirenia's name into wikipedia and you find an article bout the sea animals....wonder what Morten Veland was thinking....

Oh yeh, i forgot about he Sirenia thing too because my partner loves marine life and we read about the species of Dugong in her whale book one day. I forgot Veland named that band too. So he has (maybe) named his band after a Eucalypt Tree and a Dugong.... ok then... does he just sit in google typing random words til a match comes up to a living thing or looking through living things til he finds a cool name?
10.11.2009 - 21:24
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Dark Cornatus on 10.11.2009 at 06:01

Oh yeh, i forgot about he Sirenia thing too because my partner loves marine life and we read about the species of Dugong in her whale book one day. I forgot Veland named that band too. So he has (maybe) named his band after a Eucalypt Tree and a Dugong.... ok then... does he just sit in google typing random words til a match comes up to a living thing or looking through living things til he finds a cool name?

Another example of the hilarious song titles is "Angina"....it's an illness and here in spoken language it means a throat illness. Whenever one has sore throat, one can take the "Neo-Angin" lozenges....
11.11.2009 - 19:37
albatros
Written by Ernis on 09.11.2009 at 23:32

Just type Tristania's sister band Sirenia's name into wikipedia and you find an article bout the sea animals....wonder what Morten Veland was thinking....

Of course you all know this, but Sirenia hasn't been named after fat sea dwelling mammals, but after the Sirens, some chicks ( crossbreed of woman and bird), who in ancient Greece had founded an (obviously) female fronted metal band.

While the actual music of the Sirens had been at the center of heated and controversial discussions, everybody agreed that the lead singer was hot. Not without intention she wore a scanty outfit during performances, which left little to imagination.

Thus, to get a better view, a fair share of helmsmen would deviate from the route recommended by the official Greek naval authority and venture a little closer to the Sirens' open air stage, which wickedly was set up at the coast of a hazardous sea area with many cliffs and rocks. The misguided vessels inevitably stranded and would then be plundered and salvaged by the local recycling mafia.

Anyway, Odysseus, a seafaring greek metalhead needed to pass this particular sea area on his way back home from Wacken. His buddy Kirke, a goodlooking Greek booking agent had tipped him off about the Sirens, while the crew had dinner on Kirke's private island.

Therefore he bought a 100 pack of professional ear plugs, which he handed out to his crew, so they wouldn't notice the band playing at the seashore. Odysseus as a true metalhead wanted to get an independent opinion of the Sirens music and chained himself to the mast of the ship, lest he fell for the temptations of the leadsinger.

Anyway, according to Homer ( the archaic equivalent of Blabbermouth ) after all these precautions Odysseus' ship passed the island of the Sirens unharmed and after visiting a couple more festivals at least some of the crew arrived safely at home.

On another occasion a Greek metalhead named Jason pretty much had the same problem with his ship, the Argo. Fortunately he had a talented young lyra player called Orpheus in his crew. This Orpheus dude - who had already made fame by adding two strings to a cythara manufactured by metal god Apollo himself - played a spirited but rather long-winded solo, while the ship Argo was passing the open air stage of the Sirens and so the crew didn't pay attention to the band, whose red haired lead singer wouldn't hit the notes all too well that day anyway ...

at least that's, what my Greek mythology guide has to say about it ...

Else I want to add, that about ten years ago I watched manatees (Sirenia) a couple times at the small boat channel about 6 miles northwest of the NASA shuttle runway at Cape Canaveral, Fl. They had scars on their backs from the screws of motorboats.
11.11.2009 - 21:58
Ernis
狼獾
I know sirens....they gave the name to the sea mammals : )
11.11.2009 - 22:17
albatros
Written by Ernis on 11.11.2009 at 21:58

I know sirens....they gave the name to the sea mammals : )

I've just read, that Kolumbus has introduced the association between Manatees and the Sirens .. I start to think his eyesight was lousy .
13.11.2009 - 19:42
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Ernis on 10.11.2009 at 21:24

Another example of the hilarious song titles is "Angina"....it's an illness and here in spoken language it means a throat illness. Whenever one has sore throat, one can take the "Neo-Angin" lozenges....

Angina means ''anguish''.

It's also a name of a throat disease (infection) as well as a heart condition (angina pectoris). I surely doubt the band was thinking of illnes, eh?!
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
13.11.2009 - 20:00
Ernis
狼獾
Written by AnGina-- on 13.11.2009 at 19:42

Written by Ernis on 10.11.2009 at 21:24

Angina means ''anguish''.

It's also a name of a throat disease (infection) as well as a heart condition (angina pectoris). I surely doubt the band was thinking of illnes, eh?!

Well...it's funny nevertheless...

At the moment I read that angina comes from Greek "ankhon" and means "strangling"....
03.03.2010 - 01:13
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Quote:
However, we are proud to announce that we just had a very special guest in studio who you might already know: The one and only Pete Johansen will once again appear on a Tristania album with his fantastic violin playing.

During the writing process of this album we figured that Pete's violin would fit perfectly on some of the new tracks. Only a couple of weeks ago I sent the tracks to Pete and asked him if he would be interested in doing something together again. Luckily, he was. Pete, Ole and myself had a great time in studio last weekend, and it turned out really well. We worked with Pete for two long days, recording both acoustic and electric/distorted violins, and the result sounds truly amazing. We will probably release some musical teasers whenever we can find the time to this.

Now this is the first good news I've heard from this band in quite a long time
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
15.05.2010 - 01:16
Rekkuza
Written by Promonex on 03.03.2010 at 01:13

Quote:
However, we are proud to announce that we just had a very special guest in studio who you might already know: The one and only Pete Johansen will once again appear on a Tristania album with his fantastic violin playing.

During the writing process of this album we figured that Pete's violin would fit perfectly on some of the new tracks. Only a couple of weeks ago I sent the tracks to Pete and asked him if he would be interested in doing something together again. Luckily, he was. Pete, Ole and myself had a great time in studio last weekend, and it turned out really well. We worked with Pete for two long days, recording both acoustic and electric/distorted violins, and the result sounds truly amazing. We will probably release some musical teasers whenever we can find the time to this.

Now this is the first good news I've heard from this band in quite a long time

Oh, yay! I really enjoyed hearing Pete play on the previous albums, especially during the intro to Crushed Dreams in World of Glass. Gives me the same shivers to this day than it did years ago...

Personally, I have to say that their older material is much better.
20.06.2010 - 04:08
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by albatros on 11.11.2009 at 19:37

Of course you all know this, but Sirenia hasn't been named after fat sea dwelling mammals, but after the Sirens, some chicks ( crossbreed of woman and bird), who in ancient Greece had founded an (obviously) female fronted metal band.

While the actual music of the Sirens had been at the center of heated and controversial discussions, everybody agreed that the lead singer was hot. Not without intention she wore a scanty outfit during performances, which left little to imagination.

Thus, to get a better view, a fair share of helmsmen would deviate from the route recommended by the official Greek naval authority and venture a little closer to the Sirens' open air stage, which wickedly was set up at the coast of a hazardous sea area with many cliffs and rocks. The misguided vessels inevitably stranded and would then be plundered and salvaged by the local recycling mafia.

Anyway, Odysseus, a seafaring greek metalhead needed to pass this particular sea area on his way back home from Wacken. His buddy Kirke, a goodlooking Greek booking agent had tipped him off about the Sirens, while the crew had dinner on Kirke's private island.

Therefore he bought a 100 pack of professional ear plugs, which he handed out to his crew, so they wouldn't notice the band playing at the seashore. Odysseus as a true metalhead wanted to get an independent opinion of the Sirens music and chained himself to the mast of the ship, lest he fell for the temptations of the leadsinger.

Anyway, according to Homer ( the archaic equivalent of Blabbermouth ) after all these precautions Odysseus' ship passed the island of the Sirens unharmed and after visiting a couple more festivals at least some of the crew arrived safely at home.

On another occasion a Greek metalhead named Jason pretty much had the same problem with his ship, the Argo. Fortunately he had a talented young lyra player called Orpheus in his crew. This Orpheus dude - who had already made fame by adding two strings to a cythara manufactured by metal god Apollo himself - played a spirited but rather long-winded solo, while the ship Argo was passing the open air stage of the Sirens and so the crew didn't pay attention to the band, whose red haired lead singer wouldn't hit the notes all too well that day anyway ...

at least that's, what my Greek mythology guide has to say about it ...

Else I want to add, that about ten years ago I watched manatees (Sirenia) a couple times at the small boat channel about 6 miles northwest of the NASA shuttle runway at Cape Canaveral, Fl. They had scars on their backs from the screws of motorboats.

Did no one acknowledge how hilarious and awesome this is? Hehehe clever!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
20.06.2010 - 18:04
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Susan on 20.06.2010 at 04:08

Did no one acknowledge how hilarious and awesome this is? Hehehe clever!

Can you arrange it so that the part which appears to be my quote (but actually isn't) would actually look like a quote of albatros (which it actually is)?
23.06.2010 - 06:57
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Fixed! Properly attributed now
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
10.07.2010 - 13:50
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Guest on 20.06.2010 at 03:23

I would like to know the current line-up of Tristania... There's any original member? In the new promo pictures, I don't recognize anyone, but they are in the official site as members yet.

Here ya go, this is current the line-up:
- Mariangela Demurtas - Female vocals (2007-)
- Kjetil Nordhus - Clean Vocals (2010-)
- Anders Høyvik Hidle - Guitars/Harsh Vocals (1996-)
- Gyri Smørdal Losnegaard - Guitars (2009-)
- Ole Vistnes - Bass/Backing Vocals (2009-)
- Einar Moen - Synth/Programming (1996-)
- Tarald Lie - Drums (2010-)

From the very original members, only Einar Moen is still participating (founding members were Morten Veland, Einar and Kenneth Olsson), and well Anders who's been a big part of Tristania from their beginnings also is still there. Otherwise, a whole new band imho. Nonetheless, I'm totally looking forward to hear what they're up to in Rubicon.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
27.09.2010 - 01:00
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I'm finally listening to Rubicon and can I just say that I LOVE it?? I was really not expecting to. I thought, maybe it'll be ok or just nice but it won't be great. Well, I'm completely impressed. And, also unexpected, I love Mary's voice. It's not as generic as some people have been saying and it fits in so nicely with the music.

This is also such a beautiful evolution from the Illumination album. I love how unexpected this band is with their progression. It actually reminds me greatly of Ashes but without the inconsistency. Rubicon flows so well.

My vote is VERY nice surprise. Excellent album Tristania
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
28.09.2010 - 21:37
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Susan on 27.09.2010 at 01:00

My vote is VERY nice surprise. Excellent album Tristania

I agree with you... The Veland-period Tristania's albums were pieces of art, then the World Of Glass, Ashes and Illumination did have their cool songs but also their fillers... now the big plus of Rubicon is indeed that this album flows a lot better than some previous ones...
And they create some moments which make me feel as if listening to Katatonia and Borknagar.

And yes... Mary is good... altho I'd like to hear Vibeke in some songs too... it'd be grand if she could join at least as a guest vocalist to accompany Mary...