Metal Storm logo
Novembers Doom

12.10.2006 - 17:18
Detric
King Of Twilight
I just thought they deserved a thread of their own. Im listening to their latest album The Pale Haunt Depature right now, good album, good band. Im looking forward to hear their new album The Novella Reservoir, I dont know when it will be released but I hope Dan Swanö will produce this album as well. Are any of you guys into Novembers Doom?
12.10.2006 - 18:20
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yes, I am. I liked the Pale Haunt Departure too, and what I've heard of the rest of their stuff it is their best.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.11.2006 - 09:41
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
One of my favorite releases last year was "The Pale Haunt Departure" disc. The band took the sound developed on the track "Not The Strong" from their 2002 disc and developed it into a full length, yet somehow managed to stay true to some of the older material circa 2000. The mix of uptempo and doom/death-esque approaches to me gave the band a unique sound - which is exactly why I loved the disc so much. I think Paul has finally (after all these years) found the sound to back up is killer vocals.

Lyrically, it's so personal it's almost difficult to read at times. I really can't focus on all the songs lyrically, because there is so much pain in the lyrics, that thankfully the mix of somberness and tempo changes in the music give the listener enough chance to recover between stanzas! It seems the band has made the same approach for the newest CD due out in a few months, so I'm really looking forward to it - hopefully it will be an apt sequel
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
30.11.2006 - 01:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dont understand why pll say ''The Pale Haunt Departure'' are bad?
IMO its good/perfect alum and I love of corse its lil diefernt how previusly but still ist werry good album all songs, lyrics are great and
BTW Dan Swano play guitar in song '''Dark World Burden'' I read it

And I agree what dismaleuphony say
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.11.2006 - 01:43
Daru Jericho
ND are one of my favourite bands. It's difficult to choose a favourite album but TPHD is great! I was listening to it recently actually. But favourite song...could possibly be 'Dark Fields For Brilliance'. Words cannot describe how much I adore that song. So perfectly depressing. And the lyrics are really awesome, in my opinion.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

06.12.2006 - 12:24
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Novemebrs Doom, who just returned home from a two-week tour of Europe with labelmates AGALLOCH, have posted a tour diary on their official MySpace page here.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
11.12.2006 - 17:12
the stranger
In my humble opinion I must say Novermbers Doom best album is "Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers", I prefer that sound more than the newer ones. I just feel more comfortable with it.
02.01.2007 - 22:36
Philaenas
Account deleted
I really prefer their work from The Knowing on. Those three albums are so absolutely perfect sounding in my opinion. My favourite song is probably "Collapse of the Fallen Throe".
04.01.2007 - 07:30
El Vikingo
I would love them if "The Pale Haunt Departure" wasn't so god damned depressing!

----
"The worst kind of death is getting eaten by someone you love."
24.01.2007 - 10:25
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
It seems my hopes for "The Novella Reservoir" have been reached! This new CD is just as well done as their previous, and it continues the band's walk toward an even heavier and uptempo approach. There are a few ballads, but the focus to me falls on the fast paced songs like "Drown The Inland Mere" and "The Voice Of Failure"... but that's perhaps just my taste here. I think the song "They Were Left To Die" could be a real treat for some fans, as it's got a different style aggressive vocal than he uses on any other track.

I just pre-ordered the Novembers Doom CD, poster, and a booklet that from what I can tell has been written by Paul himself, giving some more in depth information to his lyrical subjects and inspirations. I am certainly looking forward to it. I say, fans of "The Pale Haunt Departure" will more than welcome this new CD, particularly if your favorite tracks were the heavier and more uptempo ones.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
17.02.2007 - 17:10
Anathemani@c
I can admitt that these guys are great. I liked really much their music from the veru first time!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
12.05.2007 - 22:44
__Az__
Ive just listened to their new album 'The Novella Reservoir' in its entirety... I'll have to say, I really enjoyed it. I love the way that the death and doom elements have been mixed.

Top Track = 'Rain'
13.05.2007 - 21:18
ArchitectSupreme
Account deleted
Written by El Vikingo on 04.01.2007 at 07:30

I would love them if "The Pale Haunt Departure" wasn't so god damned depressing!

dude they have the word "DOOM" rigt there inthe name as a precurser to the mood of the music.

By the way, I'm going to make the claim that The Novella Reservoir is their best work yet and the title track is my favorite Novembers Doom song ever
13.05.2007 - 22:08
SteTech
I've just downloaded their new album out of curiosity and I'm liking it!
13.05.2007 - 22:13
__Az__
Quote:
By the way, I'm going to make the claim that The Novella Reservoir is their best work yet and the title track is my favorite Novembers Doom song ever

I agree, even though I havent heard too much songs. The title track 'Rain' is so far the best Ive heard...
14.05.2007 - 08:54
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Quote:
Written by __Az__ on 13.05.2007 at 22:13

I agree, even though I havent heard too much songs. The title track 'Rain' is so far the best Ive heard...

"Rain" and "Drown The Inland Mere" are my picks for the new CD, and I'd honestly like to see the band do a full CD of songs in this direction.
----
15.05.2007 - 06:52
Asat0r
I'm in love with the whole new CD. "Drown the Inland Mere" and "The Novella Reservoir" are my favorites. I've never actually heard any of their other stuff though, but I am looking into purchasing The Pale Haunt Departure.
05.07.2007 - 11:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I been lsitened soemthing from new album and I miss somehow esaly days of band where was soem melodic, medleya nd calm vocal parts and female voice too, seems last 2 albums thay became more death metal and soem hwo lsot early doom metal roots damn sees real metal was in past
----

apos;'
[image]
10.12.2007 - 21:58
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Ive heard 3 albums of them, the first album, "the knowing" , and "of sculptured..." and I can say I like them, pretty interesting music IMO, and I agree with K7's post.
P.S. I think they should be in extreme.... maybe not...
----
12.12.2007 - 00:32
Southern Wind
Account deleted
This band is becoming less interesting with every album. The first three ones are rather close to a masterpiece, but they had progressively became a generic melodic death/doom band, with easy melodies and catchy choruses. I can't stand The Novella Reservoir
12.12.2007 - 09:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 12.12.2007 at 00:32

This band is becoming less interesting with every album. The first three ones are rather close to a masterpiece, but they had progressively became a generic melodic death/doom band, with easy melodies and catchy choruses. I can't stand The Novella Reservoir

Finally someone who agree with me.
And the doom element has almost entirely gone now as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.12.2007 - 10:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.12.2007 at 09:54

Hey I agree whit you

Now thay use only growls, but where are those othertype of vocals how was in firts albums, seems thay realise album becqase only of process

Only what thay keep from past are poetry and lyrics
----

apos;'
[image]
13.12.2007 - 03:02
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Bad English on 12.12.2007 at 10:04

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.12.2007 at 09:54

Hey I agree whit you

Now thay use only growls, but where are those othertype of vocals how was in firts albums, seems thay realise album becqase only of process

Only what thay keep from past are poetry and lyrics

Actually, I don't feel the band uses more or less of growls than they did in the past. If you compare the amount of growling in "Of Sculptured Ivy And Stone Flowers," I find essentially the same percentage of extreme vocals as I do in "The Novella Reservoir." They have removed the female vocals, for certain, but other than that, the ratio of growls to clean singing for Paul is about the same. The main difference is the complete change in guitarwork and the speed of the drumming. They've lost much of the doom, but gained more death and leaned toward a catchy chorus style. Sure, it's going to alienate some fans, but what would you expect with an entirely different lineup outside of your vocalist/lyricist?

I personally prefer the newer stuff because the production is just huge to me, and that's a style I prefer, no matter what the music. I think Paul has always been a great lyricist, but I just like the intensity of the newer style more. Older songs like "Silent Tomorrow" and "With Rue and Fire" are great too. I only dislike their 1995 release, as I find it downright generic and without identity, though not bad.

I am a fan of bands that push boundaries of metal or mix genres together, and that's what the band has done over the years. I know I've had this debate numerous times in the past inside older Novembers Doom threads, and have looked for bands that sound intentical to them. I don't find how a band can be generic "death/doom" if there are not a ton of bands that sound like them. If there were, I'd love them all. I do think "The Pale Haunt Departure" was a more interesting release than their 2007 disc, but mainly because the songs flowed better from start to finish. This time around I think the band should've pushed completely into their style on "Rain" and dropped the ballads, or at least the full ballads.

Of course everyone has taste in music and wants it to sound a certain way. But I do think that Novembers Doom is playing at the top of its game now, as it has for most of its releases. I can hear the energy in the songs, and feel it too. I just find it unfortunate that we have to lump them in the doom metal category, because as Marcel says, they have lost most of it in favor of other pursuits.
----
13.12.2007 - 11:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Dismel - long post
But I prefere them when tahy use female vocals more, when I dound tham and hear samle in doom-metal.com I love it I lov eold stuff now, but new album it isnt so good its like Opeth 'Ghoust revaeries'
----

apos;'
[image]
17.12.2007 - 16:45
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
I just got The Novella Reservoir and it sounds awesome so far
03.04.2008 - 19:50
HugeTheConqeror
Written by Jason W. on 13.12.2007 at 03:02

I personally prefer the newer stuff because the production is just huge to me, and that's a style I prefer, no matter what the music. I think Paul has always been a great lyricist, but I just like the intensity of the newer style more. Older songs like "Silent Tomorrow" and "With Rue and Fire" are great too. I only dislike their 1995 release, as I find it downright generic and without identity, though not bad.

I am a fan of bands that push boundaries of metal or mix genres together, and that's what the band has done over the years. I know I've had this debate numerous times in the past inside older Novembers Doom threads, and have looked for bands that sound intentical to them. I don't find how a band can be generic "death/doom" if there are not a ton of bands that sound like them. If there were, I'd love them all. I do think "The Pale Haunt Departure" was a more interesting release than their 2007 disc, but mainly because the songs flowed better from start to finish. This time around I think the band should've pushed completely into their style on "Rain" and dropped the ballads, or at least the full ballads.

I agree completely that the superior production quality of "The Pale Haunt Departure" and "The Novella Reservoir" set Novembers Doom apart from the field in metal. I can't think of any releases in metal that match it production-wise.

What really draw me to this band, however, are Paul Kuhr's skills as a vocalist and lyricist. The lyrics of Novembers Doom material are extremely mature, by which I mean that they could not have been written by someone younger who had not yet accumulated a certain amount of life experience. Much of the content of the last two releases deals with Kuhr's relationships with his wife/girlfriend (to be honest, I am not sure which), the responsibility that he feels toward his daughter, etc. The lyrics are deeply personal, even cathartic. As an older metalhead myself who has over the years got married and had children, and has therefore also had to grapple with some of these feelings, I appreciate Kuhr's ability to them put into words and music, and I respect his willingness to share his struggles and his emotions so openly in his music.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
29.05.2008 - 16:40
TheBigRossowski
This is a band I was interested in, so naturally I had to look them up! I want "The Novella Reservoir", but right now I have some finances to work out! The Pale Haunt Departure is truly a classic album though! I agree with "The Huge Conqueror" above my post.

You can feel the music in this band! There are more bands like that, but not TOO many!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
25.10.2008 - 17:32
FOOCK Nam
Very good music, but I find somewhat the band's lyric is not like metal attitude if based on my perception as individualism and misanthropy. Novembers Doom lyric tend to be more pro-virtuous mostly than other bands I have witnessed.
14.04.2009 - 23:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just hear song, album looks prommisning ok its not like roots ''Amid Its Hallowed Mirth'' 1995 but its not same bad like ''The Pale Haunt Departure'' 2005 cant tell much about ''The Novella Reservoir'' since I got it now,this song is good, melodic, vocals its mix wjit calmisg grunts andgeneraly its grunts, I like it also I like lyric to
----

apos;'
[image]
09.07.2009 - 14:11
DevilishSong
Two day ago i downloaded the last album of Novembers Doom and until now i was listening to it.....
its not as well as i was thinking...
i like "The Pale Haunt Departure" too much but "Into Night's Requiem Infernal" is not comparable to it....

in Into Night's Requiem Infernal we see Death much more than Doom.
but i take 8 to album and think the last track is valuable than an entire album.