Metal Storm logo
Ahab

13.10.2006 - 22:24
Nokkkkkkkkkkkkk
Account deleted
Extreme German funeral doom with a curious "Moby Dick" theme. Ahab, is big, angry, grizzled and reflects the desolation and brutality of the sea. Their current releases include a single, a demo, and a CD (The Stream (2004), The Oath (2005) and The Call of the Wretched Sea (2006), respectively).

an mp3 ("The Stream" from the respective single):
http://www.mp3.com.au/track.asp?id=98680

Im not sure about the quality of The Stream, but at least let it give you an idea.

GET THE CALL OF THE WRETCHED SEA IMMEDIATELY.
13.10.2006 - 22:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I have it at home, but I wont to read the book 'Moby Dick' along with it. And that book is taking too fucking long to get here. And in the meanwhile I have a CD which I don't want to/can't listen to.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.10.2006 - 06:18
Southern Wind
Account deleted
The concept behind this album is truly awesome (being Moby Dick one of my favourite books), and so is the music... it flows like a very heavy leviathan of doom, and I love the quiet passion it encloses... and I feel this shit will still grow in me much more...

The Funeral Doom album of the year after Pantheist and along with Wormphlegm
15.10.2006 - 07:13
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Mastodon already did the whole Moby Dick theme though...
17.10.2006 - 22:21
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
But who cares. Mastodon is slightly different music from Ahab.

Finally listened to it, awesome shit. I love it, real sweet stuff.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.12.2006 - 18:06
Crow_Princess
Ahab is a really great band IMO..
It's worth to listen to them!!
----
*I have made a decision... I will live until W-Lash allows me to die... :love:*
23.12.2006 - 03:23
Nathan Lurker
Their 4 songs demo is good, especially the first track. Good stuff and I also adore the book (I'm not finished reading it though).
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
23.12.2006 - 06:52
Soliloquy
i only came across the band coz of their guitarist. he's in some other folk/gothic metal band called Midnattsol.

for some reason, after i heard songs by Shape Of Despair, no other doom metal band impressed me all too much. there may have been draconian who came to the doom genre a bit differently, but still. and it was like that for a good 2 years or so. and then Ahab changed my view. i still say that Shape Of Despair is better, but Ahab have their own unique touch to em.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
03.06.2009 - 11:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Pre-ordered the new album. Anyone as curious as I am? Hoping for something great!
----

03.06.2009 - 11:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lucas on 03.06.2009 at 11:28

Pre-ordered the new album. Anyone as curious as I am? Hoping for something great!

Well, I am... and also can't wait to see them play live in October.
Where did you pre-order? PLease don't say... Displeased
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.06.2009 - 11:35
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.06.2009 at 11:32

Written by Lucas on 03.06.2009 at 11:28

Well, I am... and also can't wait to see them play live in October.
Where did you pre-order? PLease don't say... Displeased

Of course I did. Which also means that I won't get the Grey album until the new Ahab is released... most people learn from their mistakes... I don't, hahaha.
----

03.06.2009 - 11:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lucas on 03.06.2009 at 11:35

Which also means that I won't get the Grey album until the new Ahab is released... most people learn from their mistakes... I don't, hahaha.

I just wanted to say: Don't learn from your mistakes? Order Grey somehwere else, that's what I would do.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.06.2009 - 00:44
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Cannot wait for it here, either. i'll likely order online, as it's not at all likely to appear in the local record shop.

lol, i will make it part of my almost now mythical order from pscyhadoomelic...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.06.2009 - 05:38
Numbskull
One of the things I found cool is how it's seems to be from the point of view of the whale and not so much of the Captian's or the crew. Very cools stuff - done very well. I was unaware of the new release.
12.06.2009 - 15:29
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Ordered the vinyl of "Call Of The Wretched Sea". Had the idea to buy those Art Vinyl frames, so I can put some vinyl that has amazing artwork on my wall. The Call is very likely going to be one of them.
----

12.06.2009 - 17:18
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lucas on 12.06.2009 at 15:29

Ordered the vinyl of "Call Of The Wretched Sea". Had the idea to buy those Art Vinyl frames, so I can put some vinyl that has amazing artwork on my wall. The Call is very likely going to be one of them.

Man...the depth of that album is going to sound just orgasmic on wax. Curses on this damn compressed CD sound and not being able to afford records!
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.06.2009 - 17:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 12.06.2009 at 17:18

Man...the depth of that album is going to sound just orgasmic on wax. Curses on this damn compressed CD sound and not being able to afford records!

I don't know what the situation is like in Canada but over here in The Netherlands they are usually just as expensive as cd's unless they are double vinyl or have lavish gatefold sleeves then they are a little more expensive but not much.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.06.2009 - 02:52
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.06.2009 at 17:53

Written by Doc G. on 12.06.2009 at 17:18

I don't know what the situation is like in Canada but over here in The Netherlands they are usually just as expensive as cd's unless they are double vinyl or have lavish gatefold sleeves then they are a little more expensive but not much.

Well, to buy a new record here its usually 30-45, as opposed to the 15-25 for CD. That and I'd need to buy a new record player as well as a decent sound system to go with it....all things that are financially unreasonable for me at the moment.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.03.2010 - 02:13
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I just returned from spring break and I managed to make it to California and see the west coast, that is the Pacific Ocean. I remembered when I got there I wanted to listen to The Call of the Wretched Sea even though it was a sunny and warm day. Kind of comical once you think about it but that's what I was reminded of. Listening to "Redemption Lost" currently and Ahab totally manages to capture the desolation of the sea, especially with those nautical leads. Argh!
----
The force will be with you, always.
17.03.2010 - 20:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Clintagräm on 16.03.2010 at 02:13

I just returned from spring break and I managed to make it to California and see the west coast, that is the Pacific Ocean. I remembered when I got there I wanted to listen to The Call of the Wretched Sea even though it was a sunny and warm day. Kind of comical once you think about it but that's what I was reminded of. Listening to "Redemption Lost" currently and Ahab totally manages to capture the desolation of the sea, especially with those nautical leads. Argh!

Hhehehe nice, I live in the coast and one day I was taking a walk with my family and I was listened to their debut. I can't begin to describe how powerful the songs sounded.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.05.2010 - 18:32
Got Mayhem?
Hopefully it won't be too long before we hear some new Ahab material. Luckily we've got two amazing releases to hold us up until such a time comes.
----
27.07.2011 - 23:12
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I always tended to listenThe Divinity of Oceans a bit more because of its floaty drifty riffs and general awesomness, but, Listening to The Call of the Wretched Sea, it's just so much more suited to the sound of the ocean and it's infinitely crushing, murky and aggressive presence. It truly is the better album.

Can't wait to hear what the next album sounds like! CHEA!!
----
Coldgrits
28.07.2011 - 00:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by -DC-002- on 27.07.2011 at 23:12

I always tended to listenThe Divinity of Oceans a bit more because of its floaty drifty riffs and general awesomness, but, Listening to The Call of the Wretched Sea, it's just so much more suited to the sound of the ocean and it's infinitely crushing, murky and aggressive presence. It truly is the better album.

I also think their debut is the better album but the Divinity Of Oceans is still a wonderful album but it shows a different portrait of the ocean to me, a far calmer yet more sorrowful one. While the debut is just absolutely terrifying and indifinitely crushing as you said.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.07.2011 - 09:24
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.07.2011 at 00:26

Written by -DC-002- on 27.07.2011 at 23:12

I also think their debut is the better album but the Divinity Of Oceans is still a wonderful album but it shows a different portrait of the ocean to me, a far calmer yet more sorrowful one. While the debut is just absolutely terrifying and indifinitely crushing as you said.

For sure, Sorrow is definitely one of the key components to The Divinity of Oceans. One more nailhead hit :{D
----
Coldgrits
28.07.2011 - 09:58
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by -DC-002- on 28.07.2011 at 09:24

For sure, Sorrow is definitely one of the key components to The Divinity of Oceans. One more nailhead hit :{D

Sorrow? I hear the threatening, ominous majesty of the open sea, the sinister sound of waves, the deafening, resounding melody of the fathomless depths. No sorrow at all.

Be that as it may, Ahab is easily one of the best doom bands ever. I always say that it's very difficult to make good doom songs - you have much less means to attract the listener. But Ahab's songs, even stripped of heaviness, and all sound effects, are still fantastic compositions. Great riffs, brilliant drumming, engaging, intriguing songs.
I would have a hard time deciding which album is better, because I love them equally. As for sheer number of listens to a whole album, "The Call of the Wretched Sea" wins, but my favourite song is "Tombstone Carousal" off "The Divinity of Oceans".
28.07.2011 - 11:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Daniell on 28.07.2011 at 09:58

Sorrow? I hear the threatening, ominous majesty of the open sea, the sinister sound of waves, the deafening, resounding melody of the fathomless depths. No sorrow at all.

Their second album has way calmer moments giving more a feeling of desperation (just like the feeling I get from the painting), like in the calm section of "Redemption Lost". The heavy parts for me just keep on showing a feeling of desperation from the crew but not really the ocean itself.
Where the debut was more concentrated in the Ocean itself and the beast in it... The second album is (to me anyway) more focused in the crew and how they are dealing with all the tragedy

The bottom line is: They are absolutely brilliant. It's impossible not to get an image on your head while listening to their music.
For the "which album is better" question I also feel that as a whole, the debut wins (but just by an inch) but The Divinity Of Oceans has some songs that are PERFECT if I look them individually. Redemption Lost would be my favorite so far. The calm section with those clean vocals and militant drums just gets me everytime, so damn emotional.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.07.2011 - 23:00
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Daniell on 28.07.2011 at 09:58

Written by -DC-002- on 28.07.2011 at 09:24

Drifting on the ocean with no hope, aboard a ship with a crew of starving people, no hope in sight with the spirit dead long ago. DRIFTING aimlessly with no sight of.... anything but sea, I think that would cause some SORROW in my book... But yes, Threatening, ominous, majestic (oh yes), sinister, deafening, they all paint the bigger picture as well.
----
Coldgrits
29.07.2011 - 16:24
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Started with the song Redemption Lost. Very atmospheric.
25.11.2011 - 05:01
Rog-Mothoth
Anybody know any new info about them concerning any new albums?
----
Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 06:44

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.08.2011 at 01:04

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN.

... I can hear your prog boners from here. D:<

Liar... Everyone knows the only way to sense a boner is by smell D:<
25.11.2011 - 05:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Rog-Mothoth on 25.11.2011 at 05:01
Anybody know any new info about them concerning any new albums?

"Ahoy,

in the end of january we'll enter studio to record the yet untitled follow up of ?The Divinity of Oceans".These days we're in the final writing session to finish the compositions. We promise to keep on informing you about the process this time.

Cheers,
AHAB"

(from their Facebook page)
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."