Metal Storm logo
Starting Over

13.10.2006 - 23:58
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I am just kind of excited and happy to get my "equipment" back. I've had my stuff for about five years or so, nothing special as it was just all my first time stuff. Ibanez EX Series, I have no idea what the actual model is as I got it second hand, I think the amp is a cheapo 25 or 30watt Fender, and my pedal is the DigiTech RP100.

Never really got very far learning how to properly play, not much more than Iron Man, the intro to South Of Heaven, some other Slayer riffs and just some misc. junk. I've got a pretty decent book full of chords and how to b.s. but that sort of thing isn't very motivating.

I plan to make some sort of attempt at a one man bm project, probably drawing influences from all Darkthrone, Emperor's Wrath Of The Tyrants, perhaps some Burzum. I haven't touched this stuff for practically three years, and the last year and a half I've been away from my stuff since I moved out of the country, so I've just been getting a feel for everything today.
----------

So if you guys can offer any advice at all that would be cool, I'm not really sure what more could be said other than I should learn my chords, practice and maybe check-out some other bands for inspiration, although I've really been digging 1349 lately.
If any one also has the RP100 and know some cool configurations/tunings for it that would be awsome, I know some people spend a lot of time trying to set it up to mimick the effects/sounds of specific bands. I've been looking on google for a page that has some set-ups to configure a effect or two as.
14.10.2006 - 02:34
Soliloquy
i dont think that you need to learn chords. simply becuase unless you are sweeping your chords on high distortion, then it would just sound like noise. it wont matter what chord you play(unless power chords, or rhythm stuff).

umm, for inspiration, try reversing a certain riff and playing it from the last note to the first note like that. if you're slow, doesnt matter, you might pick up something neat while doing so, and even if you do use it, there wont be any copy rights to sodomize you.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
14.10.2006 - 04:59
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Chords can't be that useless for bm can they? I know from the bit of Darkthrone tabs I've seen that it's been power chords, and I have my tuning on drop-d for the purpose of easy playing to screw around, it also seems to be the general set-up for riffs in most bands.

But one would think that knowing chords could only enhance the sound and melody for bm.
14.10.2006 - 05:38
Winter Death
Account deleted
I think you should learn chords for the pure sake of understanding your instrument. Chords are the building blocks of of pretty much any genre and having a sound knowledge of them will get you going to where you need to be. When you learn any instrument, you can't cut corners.
14.10.2006 - 09:46
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Generally I do agree Winter Death, it's kind of like fine art as in not everyone wants to learn proper technique when they create paintings or drawings, but I've always felt that you can take that knowledge and then contort it into your own image. Kind of like what surrealism is all about. But any ways.

Do you guys happen to know what I would need to be able to record onto my computer? I know I need a extention/converter for the cable to be able to plug it into the computer, and a sound card that will support that option, but as for what else I am unsure.
14.10.2006 - 23:18
Soliloquy
umm...plug your gutiarinto the computer? beats me. i just use 'audacity' or whatever its called. and i get my mic really close to the amp. the results arent all too bad. like this:

http://www.myspace.com/solilaquy

other than the intro to 'in dreams we trust' everything is done on electric guitar.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
15.10.2006 - 09:42
Winter Death
Account deleted
Probably a decent recording program would be in order.
19.10.2006 - 17:09
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
I've got this solo black metal project goin at the moment. It's mostly influenced by all the old BM like Gorgoroth's first 2 CDs, Burzum, Darkthrone etc. I've got loads of stuff written like bits of songs and lots of riffs that I'm gonna use, and I plan to record a couple of CDs.

Anyways for recording I use a free program called Krystal. You can download it here:

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php?section=download

It's pretty easy to use once you fiddle around with it for a bit... and hey... it's free! I use this crappy mic that I got free with me pc, but I'm gonna get some good ones when I start recording the songs properly.

You could also check out Acoustica Beatcraft. It lets you make drum tracks then you can export them to a .wav file to use in your recording software. It isn't free though

Hope this helps.
21.10.2006 - 19:01
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Learn to read music: Get the mel bay series for guitar, by the third book you can read up the neck, and each book is only around 45 pages or so. Practice scales. Learn to play songs by bands that you like.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.