Metal Storm logo
2006 (Great) Year (For) Death Metal

Original post

Posted by Herzebeth, 15.10.2006 - 07:48
I was reading a pyroleprechaun post in a Deicide thread where he said "This is the year of Death MEtal" and I thought..fuck he's right indeed. So I opened this topic for discussion, which ones are the releases of this year that you love...the ones that you hate...you don't think this is the year of Death? do you think black Metal released better stuff this year? etc... this is a topic to talk about the Extreme (not only Death) goodies of 2006 so let's have some bleeding going on...
16.10.2006 - 18:45
Herzebeth
Anyway, has anybody hear the new Blood Freak album? "Live Fast, Die Young ... And Leave A Flesh-Eating Corpse" it is one of a kind, in fact here's some MP3's for you to check:

Toxic Tomb

Goretits

Axe of Violence

I'll do a review soon, right now I can't get enough of the album to be honest...It's really something catchy and weird...

their myspace website: http://www.myspace.com/insane4blood
----
16.10.2006 - 19:31
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Dude, this is awesome stuff!!!

Really, I love it! Thanks.

It really has a different feel to it, somehow.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
16.10.2006 - 23:55
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
@Darth Satanious and Ozman- uhhh, he doesn't. You're missing the point. Everyone refers to Joey as some sort of drum god when he's not.
17.10.2006 - 00:01
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Herzebeth on 16.10.2006 at 18:19

I didn't like the new Cattle Decapitation...I'm not a fan at all, though this album was a little more enjoyabl than their past stuff. it's more brutal than a donkey throwing sperm to a tattooed midget...

I didn't like the stop and go bullshit that they did a few times, but other than that I thought it was a damn fine album. I prefer To Serve Man though...

That shit is more brutal than the second time my right pinkie toe nail ripped off.
17.10.2006 - 00:30
Sickening Gore
Account deleted
How can I join this Smurf Metal thingy I'm very intersted LOL
/sry for offtopic
17.10.2006 - 03:27
Winter Death
Account deleted
I'm going to pick up the new Suffocation and probably the new CC. Thanks to those who replied.

It has also come to my attention that the new Hate Eternal DVD was just released today. Though it's not new music, it is a nice addition to this already good year for Death Metal. Plus Hate Eternal fucking crushes.
17.10.2006 - 04:03
Endoftherainbow
This year definently is a fucking amazing year for death metal so many great albums the ones that are standing out to me right now are the new Suffocation which fucking blew me away completely. The new Amon Amarth which was a huge suprise to me because although I liked all of their albums With Oden Our Side completely blew away everything they've released. Also the new Psycroptic album Symbols of Failure was awsome one of my favorite bands now. One other album that I can think of right now that really stood out for me was Organic Hallucinosis from Decapitated such a fucking brutal album. Aside from those albums some other notable ones I can think of this year were the new Cannibal Corpse and Deicide.
17.10.2006 - 04:44
Sepulchral Oath
Account deleted
The albums that ive actually picked up and that i really enjoy so far from this year have to be Decapitated's Organic Hallucinosis, Cannibal Corpse's Kill, and Zyklon's Disintegrate. A couple of the discs that are on my list to get are the new Spawn of Possession, Yyrkoon, Suffocation, and Vader.
17.10.2006 - 18:24
Herzebeth
Oh yeah how di I forget Decapitated, that album was something amazing in my case; somewhere it's my review of it, but in general I found it to be really fucking cool..except for the vocals though...didn't dig that tone that much....but hell Organic Hallucinosis is way more brutal than shitting in the dishwasher
----
17.10.2006 - 19:43
Richard
Elite
As has already been mentioned, I don't think that 2006 is "the year of Death Metal" in particular. It's just that a few of the more well known bands have released new albums this year.

But, even though I really like Deicide, I actually found their new album a bit disappointing. To be fair, I've only listened to it a few times so far, so maybe it will grow on me, but my first impressions aren't too positive. There isn't much of the groove and catchiness they used to have (except on the first track) - instead it's replaced with loads of unending blast beats, as used by so many other bands, with a few melodic bits thrown in... but without the atmosphere, memorability and finesse with which Vital Remains used those elements on the epic 'Dechristianise' (maybe they were trying to live up to that). I mean, Insineratehymn and In Torment In Hell weren't very good by Deicide's previous standards, but at least they had individual identity, whereas The Stench Of Redemption doesn't sound much like Deicide to me, except for Glen Benton's vocals. Maybe the loss of the Hoffmans had more impact than I expected.
----
17.10.2006 - 20:20
Winter Death
Account deleted
I think you are in the minority dude.
17.10.2006 - 20:48
Richard
Elite
Written by [user id=16136] on 17.10.2006 at 20:20

I think you're probably right, as this album has received a very positive response otherwise. Maybe the hype set my expectations too high.

Still, I'm also one of the 2% on the internet without a MySpace, so at least we have that in common.
----
17.10.2006 - 21:19
Winter Death
Account deleted
Written by Richard on 17.10.2006 at 20:48

Written by [user id=16136] on 17.10.2006 at 20:20

I think you're probably right, as this album has received a very positive response otherwise. Maybe the hype set my expectations too high.

Still, I'm also one of the 2% on the internet without a MySpace, so at least we have that in common.

Hell yeah man!
17.10.2006 - 23:43
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Oh shit, Sepulchral Oath mentioned Spawn of Possession and I completely forgot about it. That cd is more brutal to the max than feeding a guinea pig alka-seltzer.
18.10.2006 - 07:16
Herzebeth
@Richard: wow...I don't have a Myspace either..that I know of at least lol. anyway, I can't believe you didn't like the new Deicide, I don't think there are that many blast-beats either...but anyway, what Impressed me the most was the guitar-work man, try it focusing in that matter and maybe something else will happen...maybe...

@pyroleprechaun: dude Spawn Of Possession didn't do anything for me...yes it's more brutal than exploding while you're pooping but that was it...their album Cabinet was catchy, brutal, complex, technical, structured, etc. this new one is just brutal...plain brutality with no end...lol that maybe doesn't sound as bad in words but all in all I was expecting a shitload more than what they offered..
----
19.10.2006 - 03:20
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
yep...those guitar solos totally make that album. The drumming is really fast too, but kinda simple. That cd definitely is a contender for the best of 06, but probably not #1. I think Benighted's Identisick gets that award That cd is more brutal than a poodle in a sweater. Seriously...poodles with sweaters are way brutal...
19.10.2006 - 03:36
Winter Death
Account deleted
...about as brutal as Avril Lavigne doing a cover of Metallica's "Fuel"...
19.10.2006 - 03:45
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
This is definitely a good year for death metal, but I don't want to go so far as to say it is the best year of death metal ever. i think that year would be 1987, or 1990, or 1999, or 2004, I don't really know. Still, there have been some great releases this year for death metal and grindcore.

-Deicide's "Stench Of Redemption"
-!T.O.O.H.!'s "Rad a Trest"
-Cannibal Corpse's "Kill" (best Cannibal Corpse album ever?)
-Suffocation's "Suffocation"
-General Surgery's "Left Hand Pathology"
-Haemorrhage's "Apology For Pathology"

Those were a few I could think of.
19.10.2006 - 05:12
Herzebeth
I seriously need to change the name of the topic because I DIDN'T SAY THIS IS THE BEST YEAR OF DEATH METAL EVER...the main thing was about 2006 being the year of Death as in "A GREAT YEAR FOR THE GENRE" lol....

anyway... @Insineratehymn: Question me and all...I didn't know that the General Surgery album was released...so I haven't listened to it yet...but to be honest I'm not waiting for much when it comes to GS...their Necrology EP was one of the most overrated discs in Goregrind...I heard it and I thought "pfff this is Carcass-worship on crack" ... you have great tastes so if you say this one is awesome then I'll check it out...so...is it?
----
19.10.2006 - 14:14
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Herzebeth on 19.10.2006 at 05:12

I seriously need to change the name of the topic because I DIDN'T SAY THIS IS THE BEST YEAR OF DEATH METAL EVER...the main thing was about 2006 being the year of Death as in "A GREAT YEAR FOR THE GENRE" lol....

anyway... @Insineratehymn: Question me and all...I didn't know that the General Surgery album was released...so I haven't listened to it yet...but to be honest I'm not waiting for much when it comes to GS...their Necrology EP was one of the most overrated discs in Goregrind...I heard it and I thought "pfff this is Carcass-worship on crack" ... you have great tastes so if you say this one is awesome then I'll check it out...so...is it?

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. I think it shows a bit more maturity and development of their own sound than their "Necrology EP". You should give it a try.
19.10.2006 - 15:08
Warman
Erotic Stains
This really could be the year of Death metal. I haven't actually listened to a whole album released this year but I have heard a lot of songs and even more Death metal albums got great reviews in metal magazines this year. Vader's and Deicide's new albums seems awesome
----
19.10.2006 - 16:35
bloodygore
Account deleted
Wow.... I agree... this year has been insane for DM.

Haha. And also; I'd like to mention the obvious fact that a majority of emos have seemingly created a new look for grindcore this year...
I'm rather upset about that, haha.

But yeah, DM releases have been festering this year... or so it seems.
19.10.2006 - 17:58
kackbratze
Wow, I kinda changed my mind about the newest Cannibal Corpse record. After a couple of months not listening to it it kinda grew on me. It's indeed pretty good, the problem was just that I had problem integrating it into the rest of the bands albums because I got them all at once and then got "Kill" when it came out.
20.10.2006 - 04:35
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by [user id=14220] on 17.10.2006 at 00:30

How can I join this Smurf Metal thingy I'm very intersted LOL
/sry for offtopic

Look in the Extreme Metalstormers thread. You'd probably have to change your avatar though....maybe "I Slaughter Hampster Metallers For Breakfast" or something...
20.10.2006 - 05:57
Sepulchral Oath
Account deleted
Written by [user id=11936] on 19.10.2006 at 16:35

Haha. And also; I'd like to mention the obvious fact that a majority of emos have seemingly created a new look for grindcore this year...
I'm rather upset about that, haha.

Yeah, thats rather bothersome. It really makes me laugh when little pussies with backwards haircuts and tight pants claim that they love "br000tal deAtH/gRiNd" all over their myspaces. Definitely pure genius.
20.10.2006 - 06:29
bloodygore
Account deleted
Written by kackbratze on 19.10.2006 at 17:58

Wow, I kinda changed my mind about the newest Cannibal Corpse record. After a couple of months not listening to it it kinda grew on me. It's indeed pretty good, the problem was just that I had problem integrating it into the rest of the bands albums because I got them all at once and then got "Kill" when it came out.

I went through exact same thing... when I heard Kill I thought it was a shit release, but it has totally grown on me and I like it lots. I guess I was just used to the "dirtier" sound they had before... also the lyrics on Kill are much cleaner.
20.10.2006 - 15:23
kackbratze
@bloodygore: Good that we both enjoy it finally!

@pyroleprechaun: I listened to Benighted's Identisick now and I quite like it. It didn't really blow me away or anything though. I will give it a few more spins, it's consistent stuff!
20.10.2006 - 20:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
it's not "THE YEAR" of Deathmetal, but it's been pretty damned good.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.10.2006 - 21:27
Herzebeth
ok...now I changed the name of the topic so everyone knows I'm not saying 2006 is THE year in Death Metal history...

I'm carving Benighted's new album again...I still think it's good but not blasting like Suffocation or Deicide...
----
21.10.2006 - 02:17
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I feel bad for saying this, but I like Identisick more than the new Suffocation. The new Suffocation album is good, but Identisick is more brutal than a midget kicking you in the nuts with a steel-toe boot. However, new Deicide owns and it's hard to say which is better.