Metal Storm logo
Selling out but Failed

Original post

Posted by arwestromen, 30.12.2011 - 14:00
I have been reading alot on metalstorm about bands who sold out blah blah blah

Metallica sold out on the black album blah blah blah NO! they'd just reached a sertan level of popularity where they could break into mainstream or stay in the underground and they took the chanse....and made it

That one example when a band "selling out" and succeed...but is there bands that tried and failed to do this...sure it is

Judas Priest is one...remember Turbo....they tried and failed....and made ram it down and painkiller

Do you know any metal bands that have tried to make more mainstream/radio friendly music and failed and are now playing the kind of music they damn "should do"
03.01.2012 - 10:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.01.2012 at 09:49
I never imagined that old-school style of black metal would be much of a money earner really... maybe compared to most other black metal bands the trilogy did well, but I doubt we're talking about big bucks here, or am I wrong? And do bands actually get any profit when one of their albums is sold on eBay?

I don't think we're talking big bucks... I believe the initial LPs were limited to 1000 copies, but at the time Peaceville was trying to convince Darkthrone to re-record the material with a producer and proper recording material or they wouldn't release it, so Gylve gave them the ultimatum of "you release it the way it is or you don't release it at all and we'll release it on our own label". So they agreed to release it as is... and then, boom. Success.

Success for what it was worth, anyway. I'm not sure what it boiled down to in terms of kroner earned.

As for eBay, the bands don't receive a dime as far as I know. But it just goes to show how fans are willing to shell out that kind of money for something the band released 20 years ago. If they were to recapture that sound (big if, we've seen a lot of that kind of thing never work out) and start marketing themselves as the Darkthrone of yore, I guarantee they'd see an increase in sales.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.01.2012 - 14:12
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Slayer666 on 02.01.2012 at 22:59
The problem, however, is that they can't make punk to save their lives.

Anyone can make punk. It's like modern art. But oh yes, they can.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
04.01.2012 - 00:11
RavenKing
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.01.2012 at 10:05

I believe the initial LPs were limited to 1000 copies, but at the time Peaceville was trying to convince Darkthrone to re-record the material with a producer and proper recording material or they wouldn't release it, so Gylve gave them the ultimatum of "you release it the way it is or you don't release it at all and we'll release it on our own label". So they agreed to release it as is... and then, boom. Success.

In fact, they threatened Peaceville to release "A Blaze In The Northern Sky" on Deathlike Silence Productions (Euronymous's label).
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
04.01.2012 - 00:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by RavenKing on 04.01.2012 at 00:11
Deathlike Silence Productions (Euronymous's label).

That was the name I was looking for. Thanks.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.01.2012 - 00:16
RavenKing
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.01.2012 at 00:13

Written by RavenKing on 04.01.2012 at 00:11
Deathlike Silence Productions (Euronymous's label).

That was the name I was looking for. Thanks.

But the label belonged to Euronymous. It wasn't "their own label".
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
04.01.2012 - 00:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by RavenKing on 04.01.2012 at 00:16
But the label belonged to Euronymous. It wasn't "their own label".

Oh I see what you mean, that's my bad then. It's been a while since I watched the documentary so my paraphrasing was a bit rough.
----
06.01.2012 - 03:06
lordchadi
I don think being a skillful band thats mean more money ...
for example King Diamond ,, this band play very pure metal music they r awesome in their melodies & lyrics but despite that their cd's don make huge sales