Metal Storm logo
Aspects of bands you'd otherwise not enjoy

19.10.2006 - 21:54
Vidrageon
Account deleted
It's a weird title, I'll try to explain what I mean....

Do you ever listen to only parts, songs, albums of bands which you like but generally like nothing else that band has made? I ask this because, personally, I'm an album person, but usually if I listen to an album by a band I like, I try to aquire all their albums, and they usually all have a certain style or sound I enjoy and thus I "like the band".

Lately, though, I've been listening to In Flames...and I really do not like them...except...their instrumentals. It's like a completely different band, their instrumentals are made by extremely talented musicians that flow passion and love, have beautifully worked melodies and a consistent sound which is pretty damn good....instrumentals like Man Made God, Dialogue with the Stars, Wayfaerer...etc...but when I listen through their albums, I like very very little of their other work, possibly none at all...and I started thinking, how can I like these instrumentals and not enjoy the band? As I said, I'm usually an album person, and this really perplexed me...so I ask, does anybody else ever get this problem? They only like a song or an album by a band, or something like that? Or, alternatively, you like certain musicians, like....the drummer in Lamb of God, but nothing really else of that band...etc. Any thoughts?

Also: Is the site running really, really, really slowly or is it just me?
19.10.2006 - 22:23
Skald
Account deleted
I have something of this sort with Cadacross. All in all they're extremely generic-sounding band and in a long run rather boring. The only thing I like by them... well, actually love, is the intro of Turmion Taival. I mean, with intro like that it could easily become my #1 song. It goes on for nearly 2 minutes, gradually rising in power, but then the generic growls kick in and the music loses its atmosphere along with the originality.
19.10.2006 - 22:26
Damnated
Churchburner
I like listening to whole albums too, that's why I stoped listening to a lot of bands. Liked a lot the long solos of prog bands, but I realised that I liked ONLY the solos, and the rest of the songs were a total crap. Luckaly I found Riverside, a band with a lot of nice solos, and not only that.

I like new Dimmu Borgir instrumentals (ie. Fear And Wonder) but hate anything else. Or a sympho passage in the song. these parts are played really well, but don't fit in the song, because the rest is just worthless. And I hate this. Do they feel satisfied just by using some elements? Because obviously they can't write a song around it. So it's better the listen to some music wich is monotonous

anyways, the site is, recemntly, extremly slow. it's just another phase
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
20.10.2006 - 03:14
Daru Jericho
I think the best example of this for me is DragonForce. I only listen to them nowadays for their solos. Otherwise, everything else to me is unoriginal and I've heard it all before. But they are enjoyable live and easy to sing along to, I guess.

Yes, the site is running mega slow for me also.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

20.10.2006 - 15:35
Warman
Erotic Stains
Well, Evergrey is the first band I come to think of I guess. I don't like the vocalist (he's mostly okay) but the music's awesome! Very beautiful, especially their instrumental songs and those with a lot of piano.
----
21.10.2006 - 05:32
tulkas
el parcero
Well, that happened to me with Hammerfall. The first song I heard form them was the instrumental called 'In Memoriam' and I really liked that song. So I thought, hmm, this sounds like a good band, so I borrowed 2 albums from a friends and didn't like it, like you said, it was like a completly different band.
That's the only example I can think of now...
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
21.10.2006 - 13:56
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I'd have to agree with Dragonforce, just another generic band really, but I do like Li. Dimmu Borgir have some great symphonic passages but, yes, I'll have to agree with Damnated that the band is otherwise fairly worthless.
21.10.2006 - 14:06
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
I don't really find that with Dragon(f/F)orce. I think the complete package went from fairly good to worse. I thought Valley Of The Damned was a fairly good album. The vocals were better, the guitars didn't fairy around. Some parts of the other two albums were ok, but I think just about all of Dragon(f/F)orce got worse as a whole.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
21.10.2006 - 14:20
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Well, my favourite Dragonforce is Valley of the Damned, back in '03, it was an energetic, fun, epic piece, then came Sonic Firestorm which was a bit worse but still had some enjoyable bits, but now only their solos can be mildly entertaining and even so, barely, on Inhuman Rampage, so I'd have to agree that Dragonforce, even when they were enjoyable, were still generic, and that the only reason they were/are mildly successful was due to Li's speed with the guitar, who can still rip out a good solo.
04.11.2006 - 10:15
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
Well id like to deviate a little from the topic, i particularly do not like the make up used by the black metal bands, some how i dont know its really repulsive, its this particular trait that has made me not to listen to BM, also as Vidrageon said i enjoy only the instrumentals of In Flames, Man Made God \\m//, Maiden too, i mean i like only a few songs and just cannot listen to the others maybe its because of the chorus being just a line being repeated 4-5 times or whatever. They're good, bu then i not particularly enjoy listning to them.
05.11.2006 - 02:24
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Iron Maiden, I have to say....and I've gotten a *lot* of shit because people are slavishly fanboyish when it comes to Maiden....are really, really fucking boring. Apart from their 'classics' and a few great songs, they have so much fucking boring shit that goes nowhere...and as I'm an album person, I just conclude that, apart from a few moments of brilliance in some songs, they're overly boring.
05.11.2006 - 14:13
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Morbid Angel's more recent works just go nowhere, other than a few decent tracks now and then (ie. Enshrined By Grace). They used to be better than they are now, something was lost in time and it appears that they'll never be able to acquire whatever it was they had ever again.
05.11.2006 - 20:08
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
Cover's of albums of few artists.
05.11.2006 - 21:10
Sunioj
@Opium Magnet
I know what you mean, when I picked the album, their skills were incredible, but there was lack of atmosphere and emotion and it just way too technical.

I dont like albums that are really fast and brutal but miss out on how the song fits in together, IMO the beast from Vader has no emotion, its just random riffing. I agree with the main first post, I love In flames, but most of their songs sound the same...the only songs I like are the ones that really stand out.
06.11.2006 - 01:31
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 05.11.2006 at 21:10

@Opium Magnet
I know what you mean, when I picked the album, their skills were incredible, but there was lack of atmosphere and emotion and it just way too technical.

I dont like albums that are really fast and brutal but miss out on how the song fits in together, IMO the beast from Vader has no emotion, its just random riffing. I agree with the main first post, I love In flames, but most of their songs sound the same...the only songs I like are the ones that really stand out.

In Flames really only have one instrumental that I find is always replayable, "Man Made God".
06.11.2006 - 01:36
danzig111
Account deleted
Well Lost Horizon's vocalist were the main reason why I liked them, But now that he's left, I doubt I'll listen to their future material.

And if Amon Amarth didn't have the whole Viking theme going on, i don't think I'd like them very much.
06.11.2006 - 20:54
?Bodomchild?
Well i have a problem with bands ho appears in a tribute album and make a great job in that album and you say wow ! waht a nice band,and when u buy a album from that band aren't the same that happens with Vision Divine i mean the Eagle Fly Free cover its better than the original IMO, but i dont feel the same on theyr albums, theyr albums are great but i think the make a better work
----
asd
08.11.2006 - 03:26
Xaphiris
I think it happens to everybody. I mean, I like to think of myself as an album person, I've less than a duzin scattered tracks on my computer. Still, Sometimes, after listening to an album a lot, I start bein selective about the tracks. A current example is what I'm playing: "Demons & Wizards - Touched by the Cromson King". I only play 2 or 3 songs from that album. It's wierd, since they are [I guess] more coherent than In Flames [a band I have eluded still]
----
11.11.2006 - 12:33
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by Guest on 21.10.2006 at 14:20

Well, my favourite Dragonforce is Valley of the Damned, back in '03, it was an energetic, fun, epic piece, then came Sonic Firestorm which was a bit worse but still had some enjoyable bits, but now only their solos can be mildly entertaining and even so, barely, on Inhuman Rampage, so I'd have to agree that Dragonforce, even when they were enjoyable, were still generic, and that the only reason they were/are mildly successful was due to Li's speed with the guitar, who can still rip out a good solo.

Yes, I agree with your explanation of Dragonforce's downfall of album quality. I really didn't think Valley Of The Damned was that bad though. It was cheesy at times, and at times I suppose you could say that it was recycled, but it was certainly enjoyable. The vocals followed the guitars well, and they often came together nicely. So I think the good point about Dragonforce is that album, and it stands out from all their other material.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
01.02.2007 - 05:04
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Happens to me with Dream Theater. I like the solos and I wtch my cousin's DVDs sometimes, but I will never get a DT album. I mean, I like to watch them doing those great solos they make, but I can't listen to them. It's the same with pretty much every prog band, except Symphony X.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
01.02.2007 - 16:12
Destryphior
Well, I can't stand listening to most Moonsorrow, but sometimes the really folky tracks are just too good. I don't like the Metsatöll albums, but when they are playing live, it's amazing, all those shaman drums and bagpipes. And as Warman said, the Evergrey vocalist isn't the best, but the instrumental parts are good. Same goes with Dream Theater.
03.02.2007 - 19:49
Remus
I only like "Final Countdown" from Europe but hate everithing else. Yea, i konw, it's a cheesey song but i listen to a lot of power metal so to me it's not even that cheesey(compared to other stuff).

Also, a lot of metalcore songs have some really good riffs but the songs, as a whole, kinda suck. e.g the intro riff from Trivium's "To the Rats" is really good but the rest of the song is not up to scratch(my opinion). Which is why i'm not a metalcore kinda' guy!

About dragonforce - most people listen to them because of their solos; i think their solos are super technical but have no feeling! I listen to dragonforce as a whole.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
03.02.2007 - 21:00
Bitch Boy
It happens to me mainly with Arch Enemy, I only enjoy the Angela Gossow albums I think the whole band changed and turned more melodic but more talented and catchy also.
16.02.2007 - 10:13
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Guest on 19.10.2006 at 21:54

.......... if I listen to an album by a band I like, I try to aquire all their albums, and they usually all have a certain style or sound I enjoy and thus I "like the band".
Also: Is the site running really, really, really slowly or is it just me?

Me too, I also try to acquire all the albums of the bands I like.
This site is running 'all right" to me, but it so happens that the site runs too slowly suddenly, but after a day or 2 the site speed becomes normal again.
I noticed that the users who complain abiut the slow speed of the site are from those countries where there are more users. There are only 3 active users (including myself) from this country. Does this have any connection with the site speed? what do you think?
----
that which shines without names and forms...
16.02.2007 - 10:19
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Guest on 06.11.2006 at 01:36

And if Amon Amarth didn't have the whole Viking theme going on, i don't think I'd like them very much.

Viking theme makes the band more special, that's true, and that's what impresses me a lot, but since the band has an excellent music, I like the band regardless of their lyrical theme (but I can't tolerate christian lyrics)
----
that which shines without names and forms...
13.06.2007 - 06:38
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
for me its Death, I like there upbeat fast stuff, but I absolutely detest the breakdowns...well slowing down type crap, and proggy type shit that Chuck put into the music that totally kills songs like Misanthrope.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.10.2008 - 06:45
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I was just thinking about this type of thing today, I hate when I hear a really good riff or solo on the radio then the rest of the music comes in and ruins it. Its strange because theres one riff in the song 'Miss Murder' by AFI that I actually find enjoyable, but the rest of the song makes me cringe. In a perfect world, bands would be consistently shitty or consistently great.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.10.2008 - 09:56
rohgue123
This may be a horrible example, but I love Voice of the Soul by Death(as do I love all of Death's songs)

But that song is just so fucking beautiful and I have a whole lot of trouble trying to find other songs like that.
----
God has a hard-on for me.
09.11.2008 - 01:21
Gigginova
Account deleted
I only like Kamelot's "Memento Mori"......I am unfond of everything else....I guess cuz that's a slower song, one of my friends from another Bahamian Island showed me that song, it's a surprise she knew of them, cuz she's an alt. rocker.
09.11.2008 - 13:19
benvolent
For me thats Dream Theater. I've several times tried to get into their music, and I like and respect their composing, but as soon as the singer starts, it's all over for me...
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles