Metal Storm logo
Meshuggah

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 18.05.2006 - 13:14
A truly groundbreaking and highly distinctive band best know for using complex polymetric passages and time changes with gutteral barking vocals, chugging riffs and some absurd drum work. Pretty much responsible for smashing the conventions and preconceptions of metal.

Their obvious masterpiece is 'Destroy Erase Improve' which houses the wicked song 'Future Breed Machine'. Other briliant work include the uber aggressive 'Chaosphere' and the 21 minute experimental ep 'I'

It took me ages to fully appreciate this band and I saw them live before knowing any of their music. Heh, trying to headband along to these guys is a near impossiblity. Fantastic band and the members are a great bunch of guys with a fantasic sense of humour.
31.12.2006 - 16:01
Orpheus
Account deleted
Meshuggah is the best. The Nothing rerelease with dvd is amazing! They're one of the best live bands I've ever seen.. and I think C33 is one of their best albums, because it's never been done anything like it. I love the dark atmosphere on that album..
01.01.2007 - 03:56
Endoftherainbow
I never used to like Meshuggah up until recently. Chaosphere, Nothing, and Destroy Erase Improve are all amazing albums. I'm not a big fan of the album Catch 33 though it get extremely boring after awhile and doesn't capture my attention like the other albums do. Destroy Erase Improve is easily one of the best albums that I have ever heard though the riffs the solos and the atmosphere of the album are all so great and the drumming is some of the best that I have heard. It's no wonder this band has influenced so many other great bands such as Tool.
01.01.2007 - 04:24
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I really like Meshuggah, I guess. I have never really been a 'huge' fan but they are a consistent band. The only releases that I am not really into have been the past couple (Catch 33 & I). Everything else is good. Contradictions Collapse is the most underrated album in their discography, I really like this release because of the longer songs. Chaosphere and DEI are both amazing albums as well.

The only part of the music that I don't like is some of the solos (sound too jazzy for the music) and the vocals can get quite monotonous. Off of Catch 33 I've heard most of the material, but I don't own the album and I have to ask the question why did they use programmed drums? Also I've heard that Jens used to play guitars, as well as doing the vocals. Is this true (I'd check but I use MA lol)?
01.01.2007 - 06:33
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I personally think that the solos go along quite well with the dense riffing...it creates a more progressive virtuoso atmosphere along with the complex riffage...I really didn't like Catch 33 that much...a lot of droning monotony if you ask me...glad someone things that their first album is underrated...it's one of their best in my opinion...
03.01.2007 - 10:55
Duality
Meshuggah is quite an intensive band, no matter what is your aspect. The perplexing but sequential riffage and the dissonant "melodies" have certainly filled a specific gap which no band had yet discovered. My personal opinion from the qualitative development of the band is that they've actually managed to improve their uniqueness by each record. Sure, "Destroy Erase Improve" is a fantastic record, but in comparison to the latter releases, it lacks a certain coherence. After "Chaosphere", every studio album was flawless - there were no fillers, and the albums started to work as entireties as well. I honestly think that "Catch 33" is their best work up-to-date, but none of its songs can actually be ripped from their context. "Chaosphere" or "Nothing" work as individual tracks as well, but don't run low on the coherence at any point.

I actually got really pissed one day and wrote a blog about how people have misunderstood Meshuggah. Read it here: blog.myspace.com/jkoskela
----
"He who controls the past controls the future.
He who controls the present controls the past"
- George Orwell
12.07.2007 - 15:17
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Take a look at this fan-filmed video footage of Meshuggah's July 10, 2007 concert at the Rock Café in Prague, Czech Republic on Youtube.
12.07.2007 - 15:55
APOHAKC
The Bard
I am maybe going to see them in two days, here in my home town, well, not a fan, but they are big band, it would be pity to missed them when they are playing in neighborhood, can anyone recommend few songs that I should hear, just to know few on the gig
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
12.07.2007 - 17:02
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
Absolutely brilliant band. Choasphere is their strongest effort so far and Catch 33 is one bizarre album.
14.07.2007 - 03:08
AlGore
Account deleted
I have a feeling all the people in this band are geniuses. I have not listened to one of their songs and thought "thats just some normal thrash". They go into some insane measures which must be really hard to keep track of and, like someone said before, is impossible to headbang to. The video for New Millennium Cyanide Christ is ridiculously fun to watch.
14.07.2007 - 17:46
Nazeef
Meshuggah!! I discovered them through their video clips, they are very strong and inventioners, I love their music, eventhough, it seems very stereotyped sometimes.
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
14.07.2007 - 21:08
APOHAKC
The Bard
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
17.09.2007 - 15:14
Too many fail.
When i first heard Destroy erase improve in 8th grade i couldnt stand, probably because i didnt know what to listen for. I think this is the main reason why people get turned off by mesh, many dont realize that the band is all about awkward rhythms (and frederik's Holdsworth:esque solo work) rather than uberfast tech riffing. Ive been listening to "Nothing" for the past few weeks nearly everyday and I still can't make sense of all of it.
Definetely a highly talented band with a strong signature sound, becomes better and better spin after spin.
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
24.10.2007 - 17:38
IllNiñoSweden
Meshuggah is good.
The best album is nothing.
24.10.2007 - 18:43
Ellie
Account deleted
I never though of Meshuggah as technical thrash but needless to say they are a great band and I'm happy someone made a forum about em
26.10.2007 - 02:32
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Ellie: Well, they sure are technical thrash...their first album was a great debut and quiet the technical masterpiece...the first couple of tracks off of Nothing are pretty technical with a lot of odd times...Gods Of Rapture is a pretty technical song...a lot of strange time signatures
26.10.2007 - 08:32
Too many fail.
It's not the individual time signatures that make the rhythm so weird, its the fact that the music is written in poly measures and the instruments seem to go off beat with eachother everynow and then but come back on beat after a few beats. And catch33 definetely doesnt sound like trash, technical or not.
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
26.10.2007 - 17:39
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Does anyone know anything about them releasing new material? I remember trying to look on their website but couldn't find anything...yeah, and it's poly measure eh...I should've known that...
26.10.2007 - 22:41
Too many fail.
As far as I know new mesh is supposed to drop sometime next year.
----
- Bill Hicks
27.10.2007 - 00:49
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I hope it's more straight-forward then Catch 33 which was kind of all over the place...
27.10.2007 - 10:03
Too many fail.
I thought catch was great.
----
- Bill Hicks
27.10.2007 - 12:50
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Yeah id give anything for them to go back to the "Chaosphere" days.....i didnt like "Nothing" because it was just too dang slow and i couldnt stand how it never got anywhere and "Catch 33" was, as Kap'N said, all over the place and i couldnt really get used to it at all. I still love Chaosphere the mostm followed closely by DEI...

..but yeah I have a feeling the new album will be even more experimental than what theyve done recently

Weird tho i went through the other posts in this thread and it seems im the only one who enjoys Chaosphere the most haha
06.11.2007 - 13:47
Too many fail.
This was posted on the official meshuggah forum a while ago.

"Here's a little update for the forum - We've finished the recording a couple weeks back! It sounds really good and we're super-excited about the new stuff!
The new album is titled "obZen", there's 9 songs and the album clocks in at around 55 minutes.

/Tomas"

also heard from other sources that the record was scheduled for late january.
----
- Bill Hicks
08.11.2007 - 21:17
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Good to hear...I hope this album is better than the previous...I hoped they worked long and hard at some consistent material that flows well as an album instead of putting things together haphazardly...love the name of the album!
08.11.2007 - 23:06
Too many fail.
Written by Guest on 08.11.2007 at 21:17

Good to hear...I hope this album is better than the previous...I hoped they worked long and hard at some consistent material that flows well as an album instead of putting things together haphazardly...love the name of the album!

Well c33 was very experimental and frederik even admitted that some of the riffs were just random stuff he busted out on the spot. Anyhow I heard somewhere that they were going back to their older type material, chaosphere kind of stuff i guess. anyhow don´t take my word for it. should be killer nonetheless.
----
- Bill Hicks
09.11.2007 - 03:40
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
It would be awesome if they went back to material like Contradictions Collapse
09.11.2007 - 08:25
Too many fail.
Written by Guest on 09.11.2007 at 03:40

It would be awesome if they went back to material like Contradictions Collapse

as much as i love all the meshuggah eras, i think the older stuff is too similar to gneric thrash, they should keep doing their own unique stuff ala "nothing". The solos were cool on the early records but again, nothing you wont find on a holdsworth album. where as the newer material has truely fucked up solos, they might rub some people the wrong way but i love them and find them pretty unique sounding.
----
- Bill Hicks
12.11.2007 - 21:32
Draft
Account deleted
This is a band that I took to on my first listen. I got into them during their ''Nothing'' era but not long after that I was owning all of their albums.

This also seems to be a band that gets better with age. I didnt know what to expect with their EP, ''I'' but after giving it a listen I see it as one of the most original pieaces of music in my collection easy.

I enjoy all of their music but I would have to say Chaosphere is my favorite album from them so far.
12.11.2007 - 23:09
Gabbetheevil
Account deleted
Messhuggah Rules The best song Is future Breed Machine!
13.11.2007 - 00:16
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Their first album isn't that generic...there are some off time drumming that the guitar work follows and many of the solos are beyond thrash...there is a free range jazz/fusion thing going on there...many people write it off as generic thrash...
13.11.2007 - 09:03
Too many fail.
It seems like you missed my points in the previous post

Written by Too many fail. on 09.11.2007 at 08:25

i think the older stuff is too similar to generic thrash, they should keep doing their own unique stuff ala "nothing". The solos were cool on the early records but again, nothing you wont find on a holdsworth album. where as the newer material has truely fucked up solos, they might rub some people the wrong way but i love them and find them pretty unique sounding.

Not dissing the older era. just saying it's not as interesting as the newer stuff.
----
- Bill Hicks