Metal Storm logo
Good Apocalyptic Novels?

27.01.2012 - 21:32
Zealot644
As the title states, does anybody know some good apocalyptic novels?

I've read Metro2033 and A Roadside Picnic both translated into English and enjoyed them, so I'm looking for more. I'm not too picky, but I have enjoyed the Fallout series for years and I like lone survivor or zombie apocalypse stuff like The Walking Dead comics if that will give you an idea of perhaps what I am looking for.
05.02.2012 - 17:52
This is one of my favorite subgenres, I'm glad to see theres other interest.
The best I've ever read is The Road by Cormac McCarthy (tied for my favorite book ever). It's simply awe-inspiring.

Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake was an interesting take on a technology-gone-wrong "apocalypse", still not sure if I like it but it was definitely interesting.
Given your suggestions, you'd probably also like the original I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. The movie was pretty good, but this is even better.
Also I don't know if the Hunger Games craze has hit your area yet, but with the movie coming out everyone is getting back into them. They are labeled "young-adult" but don't let it scare you away, they're a damn good story. Less of the solo post-apocalypse and closer to dystopic literature, another definite recommendation.

Also never read King's "The Stand". 800-something pages that go nowhere. About the only useful thing it did was give us "Among the Living" by Anthrax.

Once I get some more free time I've got a few more on a list to try out (Dies the Fire by Stirling and A Canticle for Liebowitz by Miller) so let's keep the discussion going.
----
Here at the edge of this world
Here I gaze at a pantheon of oak, a citadel of stone
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God...
Then God is not dead
17.02.2012 - 02:17
Zealot644
I'm actually in the process of reading The Road right now. I recently just googled good apocalyptic novels when trying to fill the craving around the time I posted this.

Once I complete it, I can definitely look into some of the novels you have mentioned. Thanks for the reply.
19.02.2012 - 03:58
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I would recommend The Stand even though Aluminum Alloy didn't. I thought it was a very good book. Not King's best, but good nonetheless. I honestly thought The Road was rather slow, but I would still recommend it. It has a good atmosphere.

My personal recommendation is Alas, Babylon. It was written by Pat Frank in 1959. Given when it was written, its about an attack by communists that cuts off electricity to most of the country. The story follows a small, isolated community that has to revert back to pre-industrial ways of living. Its more about exploring social themes rather than apocalyptic ones, but its considered a classic of the genre and one I'd highly recommend.
----
The force will be with you, always.
24.02.2012 - 16:22
Krankheit
Account deleted
Metro 2033 and The Road is the only Apocalyptic novels I've read so far. Good reading both of them. Bought World War Z a while ago, but haven't read it yet. Roadside Picnic looks like an interesting read.