12. Ecstasy [2007 Remaster bonus]
13. Adorations [Supernatural Mix version] [2007 Remaster bonus]
14. Sanity [Insane Mix version] [2007 Remaster bonus]

Staff review by
jupitreas
Rating:
N/A
This review is of the 2007 Remastered release

In 1986 Killing Joke released their sixth album Brighter Than A Thousand Suns, hot off the heals of the mainstream attention grabbing Night Time. The new album had a polarizing effect on the fans, alienating many with its synth pop tendencies and conventional song writing. Gone were the monolithic harsh riffs, acerbic vocals and trance-inducing tribal drums: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns had a sound propelled forward by prominent keyboards and controlled, clean singing by Jaz Coleman. Recently, the band decided to re-release this wildcard of an album, but wait - there is a catch.

Read more ››
published 12.05.2008 | Comments (3)

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 131 users
04.02.2012 - 01:21
Rating: 8
musicalkaratekid

This has such a retro 80's sound, but the melody and dynamics contained within makes for a pleasant listen. It may even be their most melodic offering to date, but the synthesisers and jaz coleman's soothing voice(though some are more used to his rougher voice) make it one to be admired, certainly.
16.05.2012 - 18:54
Baz Anderson

Yeh, this is a great album... not the kind of thing I tend to listen to regularly though!
24.05.2014 - 18:04
Rating: 9
Ilham
Giant robot
I never made lists of my favourite albums, mainly because I'd take me days and I'd spent too much time updating it. But this one would easily be in the top 10. Track#1 is just perfect.
25.10.2014 - 00:32
moonflash

Adoration.
----
[http://atthematinee.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/voyagedans.jpg]
25.10.2014 - 00:55
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by moonflash on 25.10.2014 at 00:32

Adoration.

You finally listened to it! I can safely assume you liked it. Very happy to see that. That track should be renamed Perfection.
25.10.2014 - 02:20
moonflash

Written by Ilham on 25.10.2014 at 00:55

You finally listened to it! I can safely assume you liked it. Very happy to see that. That track should be renamed Perfection.

I actually have been exploring Killing Joke after you mentioned them to me on one of the threads. This album I instantly took a liking to even back when I first heard it a few weeks ago. But the awesomeness of the record just dawned on me today. You know how it's like, you listen to an album, you really like it and then you kinda forget about it until you rediscover it and are absolutely blown away. :-P Well that happened to me with this one. And you're absolutely right, track 1 is out of this world.

P.S. You should try the new Kayo Dot if you haven't already, that is the album that reminded me of this one and the reason why I came back to it. I find the two records to have similar moods and atmosphere, but maybe it's just me and you'll disagree with me on that.
----
[http://atthematinee.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/voyagedans.jpg]
25.10.2014 - 23:19
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by moonflash on 25.10.2014 at 02:20

I've actually have been exploring Killing Joke after you mentioned them to me on one of the threads. This album I instantly took a liking to even back when I first heard it a few weeks ago. But the awesomeness of the record just dawned on me today. You know how it's like, you listen to an album, you really like it and then you kinda forget about it until you rediscover it and are absolutely blown away. :-P Well that happened to me with this one. And you're absolutely right, track 1 is out of this world.

P.S. You should try the new Kayo Dot if you haven't already, that is the album that reminded me of this one and the reason why I came back to it. I find the two records to have similar moods and atmosphere, but maybe it's just me and you'll disagree with me on that.

I couldn't be happier. It happened to me with a few bands, and the moment you hear it you feel like the band's written it for you, and only for you. Best feeling in the world. Well, almost best feeling in the world.

About Mayo Dot, I noticed that album being talked about and praised a lot. My curiosity was aroused when the cover for the album was revealed, I am just waiting for a good moment to try it out. Thank you for reminding me about them. I'll notify you if I think there is/isn't basis for comparison with this one. I need a new favourite band, it's been too long, and you raised my hopes now .
10.02.2018 - 05:12
VIG
Account deleted
Amazing album.
03.12.2023 - 09:19
Metal Rasputin

This is a brilliant album. Obviously, it's not metal but gothic rock with nice atmospheric songwriting and killer production. I especially love the bass tone. Killing Joke id one of those kinds of bands that could play almost any genre and it would still sound good and stylish.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!

Hits total: 8966 | This month: 28