Metal Storm logo
Vinyl

11.03.2012 - 04:30
Sentinel65
Just a topic to discuss anything vinyl, but there are some specific questions I would like to know.
1. How does vinyl work? How do they get the music to play on this piece of plastic when a needle moves on it?
2. Is it possible to get newer vinyl albums for cheaper than $30? Everywhere I have looked so far they are at least greater.
11.03.2012 - 04:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Sentinel65 on 11.03.2012 at 04:30
2. Is it possible to get newer vinyl albums for cheaper than $30? Everywhere I have looked so far they are at least greater.

I think it depends largely on where you live, but a lot of the stuff I look into ordering online is 25+ and anything in-store is around the same price, but usually more expensive.

You should talk to Marcel about this stuff though. He's like our resident collector and owns virtually everything vinyl.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.03.2012 - 04:36
Sentinel65
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.03.2012 at 04:33

I think it depends largely on where you live, but a lot of the stuff I look into ordering online is 25+ and anything in-store is around the same price, but usually more expensive.

You should talk to Marcel about this stuff though. He's like our resident collector and owns virtually everything vinyl.

So why is it worth it to pay 2-3 times more than a CD for vinyl? Not to be criticizing vinyl here, just pondering.
11.03.2012 - 04:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Sentinel65 on 11.03.2012 at 04:36
So why is it worth it to pay 2-3 times more than a CD for vinyl? Not to be criticizing vinyl here, just pondering.

I honestly don't know. I think it costs more to produce and distribute, and more goes into the artwork and stuff. I think for the most part vinyl costs are so high primarily due to aesthetic purposes. But again, this is all speculation.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.03.2012 - 04:45
Sentinel65
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.03.2012 at 04:41

Written by Sentinel65 on 11.03.2012 at 04:36

I honestly don't know. I think it costs more to produce and distribute, and more goes into the artwork and stuff. I think for the most part vinyl costs are so high primarily due to aesthetic purposes. But again, this is all speculation.

OK, that does make sense. What vinyl records do you own?
11.03.2012 - 05:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Sentinel65 on 11.03.2012 at 04:45
OK, that does make sense. What vinyl records do you own?

Not many. You can check my collection on my profile here, but most of them I got on the cheap from Moribund Records (since they're like splits and EPs).

I think the most expensive one I bought was a live Mastodon vinyl that came with a DVD.
----
11.03.2012 - 15:36
Vombatus
Potorro

Just a topic to discuss anything vinyl, but there are some specific questions I would like to know.
1. How does vinyl work? How do they get the music to play on this piece of plastic when a needle moves on it?

1. I think it's basically that the circles on it make the needle cause a vibration that reproduces the sound encoded on it when running... Maybe wrong, but I remember reading something about the vibration or some other weird stuff.

2. To get them under $30, you should look on online stores... other places are so expensive. Seeing you're from the USA, I'd try Hellbangers (don't know any other there), they got them for around $15-20. Making big orders instead of a couple of small ones also helps to pull down the shipping cost. I think the extra money you pay (usually 2-3$/?) compared to a cd is worth it for the artwork, collection value, etc...
11.03.2012 - 21:26
theFIST
Written by Vombatus on 11.03.2012 at 15:36

1. I think it's basically that the circles on it make the needle cause a vibration that reproduces the sound encoded on it when running... Maybe wrong, but I remember reading something about the vibration or some other weird stuff.

sound is a wave, when you have it displayed like that ~~~~~~ let"s say the top spot means most pressure, bottom least pressure
so when the needle moves along and gets pushed up the speaker gets pushed out and compresses the air, so a wave of high pressure is emitted
(for it to be audible you need amplification in between)
when recording analog high pressure in the microphone would push the needle down, so you"d get a negative of the vinyl disk you wanted
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
14.03.2012 - 13:34
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.03.2012 at 04:33

Look for sales and deals online. eBay is your best bet a lot of times and sometimes the labels themselves. Century Media and TheOmegaOrder often have a lot of sales if you are looking for cheap vinyl. I bought Dimmu Borgir's latest album on vinyl for $3 (the only reason I bought it ) when it was on sale at the Century Media distribution website. Other sites, such as Relapse records often have vinyl for $20 or less, just go to the vinyl pages and search based on price lowest to highest and see if you find anything you like. Otherwise, do the same on eBay. Vinyl from metal artists are always being sold and sometimes at great deals if you are good at bidding on that site. So, the best thing you can do is patiently lurk like a shark in the waters of the Internet and snag the best deals.
14.03.2012 - 15:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=20536] on 14.03.2012 at 13:34
So, the best thing you can do is patiently lurk like a shark in the waters of the Internet and snag the best deals.

The problem with that is I have no interest in anything Relapse/Century Media/Metal Blade/Roadrunner/etc. have to offer. The cheapest deals I can find on vinyls that actually interest me are usually from Sepulchral Productions, Moribund Records, or Willowtip. Earache and Season of Mist both have ridiculous shipping costs for me and some labels like Sevared Records have screwed me over by not shipping product I paid for.
----
14.03.2012 - 20:25
Branzig
I just posted about this in the general music thread, regarding how music stores are dying and taking one of my fave hobbies with them

Please go over their and comment if you have anything to say on the subject.

Anyway, I am an album collector. I collect cds, vinyl, and cassettes. My faveorite things to collect are rare import metal vinyl, hard to find 60s era garage rock EPs and Singles, and any classic rock/heavy metal that is worth value.

Vinyl has the best sound quality IMO. And when you collect vinyl, you are making an investment believe it or not. A lot of rare vinyl will quadruple in value given time, so that $30 can quickly reach the $115-$150 range, if you know what you are looking for...that's why they are a little more spendy.

You don't have to spend $30+ on records though. If you find an Indie record store in your town, you can pick-up un-rare, run-of-the-mill vinyl allllll dayyyyy long for the $3-$10 range. Turntables are getting a little harder to find though, some go for as much as $500 now. Hit up thrift stores for your best bet there.

I used to think vinyl was dumb myself...until I started collecting and making some dollars off of my investments. Now its an addiction!
----
In Grind We Crust
14.03.2012 - 21:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Branzig on 14.03.2012 at 20:25

Turntables are getting a little harder to find though, some go for as much as $500 now. Hit up thrift stores for your best bet there.

Here they are increasingly easier to find because vinyl sales have more than quadrupled ver the past two years. And a decent new turntable will only set you back 200 usd. It's the speakers that are more expensive.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.03.2012 - 00:10
Branzig
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.03.2012 at 21:50

Written by Branzig on 14.03.2012 at 20:25

Turntables are getting a little harder to find though, some go for as much as $500 now. Hit up thrift stores for your best bet there.

Here they are increasingly easier to find because vinyl sales have more than quadrupled ver the past two years. And a decent new turntable will only set you back 200 usd. It's the speakers that are more expensive.

I have seen the newer ones online for like $200. I picked up an old Thoren's turntable for like $30 at a local thrift store over here...turns out it's worth around $300! SCORE!

My next piece I would like to pick up is an all tube receiver to go along with it. I am using vintage Panasonic speakers at the moment.
----
In Grind We Crust
15.03.2012 - 00:30
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.03.2012 at 15:21

Written by [user id=20536] on 14.03.2012 at 13:34
So, the best thing you can do is patiently lurk like a shark in the waters of the Internet and snag the best deals.

The problem with that is I have no interest in anything Relapse/Century Media/Metal Blade/Roadrunner/etc. have to offer. The cheapest deals I can find on vinyls that actually interest me are usually from Sepulchral Productions, Moribund Records, or Willowtip. Earache and Season of Mist both have ridiculous shipping costs for me and some labels like Sevared Records have screwed me over by not shipping product I paid for.

Century Media's distribution site carries titles by numerous labels, not just Century Media, TheOmegaOrder (The End Records) also carries various label's stuff.
http://www.cmdistro.com/BrowseByLabel

http://www.cmdistro.com/Item/1349_-_Demonoir_-Pic_Disc-/34421
http://www.cmdistro.com/Item/Goreaphobia_-_Sabbatic_Communion_-7''_Vinyl-/28465
http://www.cmdistro.com/Item/Sol_Axis_-_To_Mark_the_Ages_-Gatefold_10''_Vinyl-/28323
http://www.cmdistro.com/Item/Acid_King_-_Busse_Woods_-Vinyl-/26447
http://www.cmdistro.com/Item/Acrostix_-_Truth_Turned_Gray_-7--/41114
http://www.cmdistro.com/Item/Anaal_Nathrakh_-_Domine_Non_Es_Dignus_-Vinyl-/21148
http://www.cmdistro.com/Item/Atriarch_-_Forever_The_End_-LP-/40695
http://www.cmdistro.com/Item/D.R.I._-_Violent_Pacification_-7--/35033
15.03.2012 - 04:11
Branzig
I get bored buying vinyl online...it's all about the thrill of the hunt in a indie record shop too me. Anyone can pop out their Visa and order something online

Plus if I buy online, I can't haggle, I can't trade, and I can't have it NOW!

Plus, if I buy it online I am probably going to pay retail...and I like to turn a profit on these puppies.
----
In Grind We Crust
15.03.2012 - 04:40
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Branzig on 15.03.2012 at 04:11

I get bored buying vinyl online...it's all about the thrill of the hunt in a indie record shop too me. Anyone can pop out their Visa and order something online

That only works if you live relatively near a shop that sells vinyl, which I don't. I live in a pretty rural area, so online is my only option without driving 100 miles or so.
15.03.2012 - 06:04
Branzig
Written by [user id=20536] on 15.03.2012 at 04:40

That only works if you live relatively near a shop that sells vinyl, which I don't. I live in a pretty rural area, so online is my only option without driving 100 miles or so.

OK, well that makes sense then...

I live within 5 miles of multiple record stores and 16-20 miles within many more. I work 16 miles from my home, which is consequently near some record stores as well, so I get a fair amount of opportunities to buy and deal.
----
In Grind We Crust
15.03.2012 - 06:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=20536] on 15.03.2012 at 00:30

I'm not really sure why you linked any of those things since the only thing even vaguely intriguing to me was Anaal Nathrakh's release.

I'm well aware of CMDistro but their shipping on vinyls is ridiculous. I can purchase a CD or record for as little as 5 bucks but I have to pay double that (triple for vinyl) just to get it shipped? No thanks.

Same problem with Earache. Great initial prices marred by a ludicrous shipping fee.
----
15.03.2012 - 06:36
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.03.2012 at 06:16

Written by [user id=20536] on 15.03.2012 at 00:30

I'm not really sure why you linked any of those things since the only thing even vaguely intriguing to me was Anaal Nathrakh's release.

I'm well aware of CMDistro but their shipping on vinyls is ridiculous. I can purchase a CD or record for as little as 5 bucks but I have to pay double that (triple for vinyl) just to get it shipped? No thanks.

Same problem with Earache. Great initial prices marred by a ludicrous shipping fee.

Then stop whining and go to eBay like I said in the first place.
15.03.2012 - 06:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Man what's with the hostility? Nobody's whining. I'm just saying I have trouble finding some decent prices on vinyls, it's no biggy.

Maybe I'll check eBay. Joe orders a lot of shirts through them and seems to do so without any problems.
----
15.03.2012 - 06:47
Branzig
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.03.2012 at 06:40

Man what's with the hostility? Nobody's whining. I'm just saying I have trouble finding some decent prices on vinyls, it's no biggy.

Maybe I'll check eBay. Joe orders a lot of shirts through them and seems to do so without any problems.

I take it you have no indie record stores in your area? Or thrift stores that specialize in music/vinyl?

If I had to completely rely on the internet to get my collecting fix, I just wouldn't collect I don't think.
----
In Grind We Crust
15.03.2012 - 12:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Branzig on 15.03.2012 at 06:47

I take it you have no indie record stores in your area? Or thrift stores that specialize in music/vinyl?

If I had to completely rely on the internet to get my collecting fix, I just wouldn't collect I don't think.

I really on the Net foor 99% of my vinyl collection because the stuff I collect doesn't hit the stores and usually is limited to 500 copies worldwide. Being that limited also makes them more expensive because the production costs are a lot higher. It is impossible for band or label to seel a 12" under 15 usd with that kind of number of copies of it being pressed. And pressing more than 1500 (which apparently is the break off point for it becoming cheaper) isn't viable for the stuff I collect because they'll be left with left over stock.

@Troy why shipping costs of vinyl is so high is because of the size and weight of the fuckers. But most small distros tend to ship free of charge any order which is over 200 euros worth. So it pays off to get a couple of people together and combine the orders. That's what most of us do here in The Netherlands.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.03.2012 - 12:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

ebay is horrendous for vinyl. You'll find loads of cheap interesting cd's on it but not vinyl. Most of the times vinyl prices go through the roof on there.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.03.2012 - 15:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Branzig on 15.03.2012 at 06:47
I take it you have no indie record stores in your area?

We have one, but the vinyls they carry are all indie/grunge/pop/rock and no metal. I mean, they'll have like a Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer/[insert popular band] vinyl here and there but nothing what I'm looking for.

And Marcel, the problem with me ordering online is that I don't know anyone else who would place their own order since I'm the only one in my "group" who still even purchases physical copies of the music he listens to.

And I'd have to save up for a while to place an order of $200. :/
----
15.03.2012 - 20:16
Branzig
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.03.2012 at 15:48

I don't know anyone else who would place their own order since I'm the only one in my "group" who still even purchases physical copies of the music he listens to.

I know, it's terrible. I would say 90% of my friends all DL or pirate the music they listen too. Not only are you not supporting your fave artists that way, but you don't get the joy of physically holding your own copy, thumbing through the booklets, playing with the jacket....just so unrewarding!

I have another friend who is into vinyl collecting, but he would NEVER go in on an order with me haha. He is a pure collector, the most I get with him is trades or he wants me to pay double retail haha.

Marcel is right about the smaller distros having free shipping. BlackMetal.com will often get uber rare releases and run promos with free shipping. I have scored there more than once.
----
In Grind We Crust
15.03.2012 - 21:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Branzig on 15.03.2012 at 20:16

Marcel is right about the smaller distros having free shipping. BlackMetal.com will often get uber rare releases and run promos with free shipping. I have scored there more than once.

You don't want to know the amount of free promos I have got from Psychedoomelic. Sleestak's debut was one of them and I passed it on to Craig, that's how this site discovered Sleestak hahahaha

Luckily my friends are of the demographic that still buys music on physical carriers. SO we order a large chunk vinyl and cd's and tapes combined. I usually order within Europe, Pim (vocalist Officium Triste and The 11th Hour) orders from the US and directly from bands there. And then we add up what we ordered for everyone and swap. And when one order is worth more than the other it will be settled with another order. Or like with Pim he already said I will be getting the upcoming Officium Triste full length and Officium Triste Ophis split and Extreme Cold Winter cd's to make for some of the stuff he ordered via me.
I am really happy that I live in a geographically small country so that helps meeting up with people like Pim who lives in Rotterdam and I live in Utrecht. You bump into each otehr quite often at gigs.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.03.2012 - 21:16
Branzig
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.03.2012 at 21:01

You don't want to know the amount of free promos I have got from Psychedoomelic. Sleestak's debut was one of them and I passed it on to Craig, that's how this site discovered Sleestak hahahaha

Luckily my friends are of the demographic that still buys music on physical carriers. SO we order a large chunk vinyl and cd's and tapes combined. I usually order within Europe, Pim (vocalist Officium Triste and The 11th Hour) orders from the US and directly from bands there. And then we add up what we ordered for everyone and swap. And when one order is worth more than the other it will be settled with another order. Or like with Pim he already said I will be getting the upcoming Officium Triste full length and Officium Triste Ophis split and Extreme Cold Winter cd's to make for some of the stuff he ordered via me.
I am really happy that I live in a geographically small country so that helps meeting up with people like Pim who lives in Rotterdam and I live in Utrecht. You bump into each otehr quite often at gigs.

That would be nice having such a tight-knit community!

Obviously, being from the US, I don't get to run into a ton of people who are into the music that I am or support the metal community...but I am lucky enough to live in an area that is full of music loving people that embrace art.

But 90% of them download EVERYTHING....

A lot of people don't understand my fascination with collecting physical albums, cds, cassettes, etc. They say I am to young for that "garbage" haha.
----
In Grind We Crust
15.03.2012 - 21:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Branzig on 15.03.2012 at 21:16

A lot of people don't understand my fascination with collecting physical albums, cds, cassettes, etc. They say I am to young for that "garbage" haha.

Here loads of people don't understand my fascination either. Be it the younger people or people from my generation. Complaining about the space it takes up (then I say: but you buy physical books) and that the tape, cd, vinyl carriers are outdated and will die. Hahahahaha well, vinyl is having a resurgence as is tape recordings, and in a couple of years (ten or so) cd will also see a resurgence, let me guarantee you. Because nothing beats owning a physical copy, smelling it, touching it, looking at it. Enjoying the cover artwork as it is intended etc etc
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.03.2012 - 21:29
Branzig
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.03.2012 at 21:21

Hahahahaha well, vinyl is having a resurgence as is tape recordings, and in a couple of years (ten or so) cd will also see a resurgence, let me guarantee you. Because nothing beats owning a physical copy, smelling it, touching it, looking at it. Enjoying the cover artwork as it is intended etc etc

Well said sir! Nothing beats the physically copy! Or getting a limited run of something that the artist only put out 200 of...just feels awesome!

Some of my friend's say that it is a waste of time because itunes has "revolutionized" everything...you get all the band bios, artwork, and tracks on your computer where it doesn't take up space...I told them it's hard to display a desktop on the wall.....they don't get it haha.
----
In Grind We Crust
15.03.2012 - 21:39
vezzy
Stallmanite
Meanwhile in the developing world...
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.