07. Tempest
08. Gauze
09. Rosemary
10. Goon Squad
11. What Happened To You?

Guest review by
Monolithic
Rating:
Sacremento's seminal act Deftones released their second album after hearing the tragic news about Chi Cheng's horrible car accident and while it doesn't top White Pony, it is an impressive effort on its own.

Deftones was pretty much walking on a thin line after that tragic accident. I can really feel the negative energy they were bearing at that moment and finally, they decided to continue without forgetting their injured comrade. Released in 2010, Diamond Eyes was the beginning of the band's path to self-recovery, unleashing the fury and the rage and the pain in the form of, in my opinion, one of their most awesome works, (at least by Deftones' standards). But now it remains to be seen whether Koi No Yokan can really become a turning point in the band's career.

Read more ››
published 05.04.2013 | Comments (4)

Found in 21 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 32   Visited by: 727 users
12.03.2012 - 18:36
I_Die_Often
I don't know if I can put this one on my wishlist, last few have been a bit disapointing.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
15.03.2012 - 04:28
ChibiDemigod
Gosh is this true? that news, I hope Chi returns to the band.
29.07.2012 - 10:43
Rating: 7
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by I_Die_Often on 12.03.2012 at 18:36

I don't know if I can put this one on my wishlist, last few have been a bit disapointing.

Written by ChibiDemigod on 15.03.2012 at 04:28

Gosh is this true? that news, I hope Chi returns to the band.

They came up with their new track "Rosemary" and probably it will help you out in picking up this album or to ignore it wryly.

The song is here.
09.11.2012 - 22:00
Exfernus
After giving this latest album by Deftones several listens. I can finally give my honest opinion... Koi No Yokan is a piece of shit. Now, allow me to explain why...

Deftones came out with honestly one of the best albums in 2010 that I still find to be a Nu Metal masterpiece! But with Koi No Yokan, (or KNY), to follow such a well written and creative release, it was already tough to beat. But this... Horribly boring and monotonous album sucked the pleasure right out of me. Now I know what you're thinking, "Deftones aren't constantly heavy, you dick! They're emotional and very atmospheric"! That is true. And I deeply appreciate it. But throughout each song, it just sounded like one good idea stretched out and muddled down to the point of being just a droned out sound. The noise drowned out Chino's very soothing, melodic voice which also lacked considerably.

So KNY to me had nothing I'd really consider acceptable. The inly decent aong that i actually really liked was, "Romantic Dreams". Everything else is forgettable. Sorry Deftones fans. I'm probably a target for a good flogging but still, if an album sucks to me... Fear me. Lol
10.11.2012 - 11:16
Rating: 8
Monolithic
♠♠♠
I would rate it 10/10, regardless of what people think.
11.11.2012 - 12:53
whatsacow
Written by whatsacow on 11.11.2012 at 12:52

Written by Monolithic on 10.11.2012 at 11:16

I would rate it 10/10, regardless of what people think.

Yeah definitely. This is even better than their last release, which blew me away. This seems like a marriage of the best of all their albums since White Pony. It's equal parts atmospheric, haunting, melodic and aggressive. This is why Deftones are the pinnacle of Alt-Metal... Well, it's a 9 out of 10 for me.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
11.11.2012 - 13:25
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
"Rosemary" is a pretty good song.
12.11.2012 - 04:35
Ragana
Rawrcat
It's not bad. Good bedtime music, really.
12.11.2012 - 17:45
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 11.11.2012 at 13:25

You are the one to ask: I thought lead singer dude was working on a project with former Isis members?
----
rekt
12.11.2012 - 18:47
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by tea[m]ster on 12.11.2012 at 17:45

You are the one to ask: I thought lead singer dude was working on a project with former Isis members?

You mean THIS??

Other than that, I don't have any idea about it.
13.11.2012 - 01:46
Slyfang
They weren't very creative or inspired with this album, I feel. They ought to listen to their better albums (Saturday Night Wrist, White Pony) and set appropriate standards for themselves.

I really like this band, but they really have to try harder.
13.11.2012 - 12:51
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 12.11.2012 at 18:47

You mean THIS??

Other than that, I don't have any idea about it.

Yeah, this is the one. But no exact dates have been announced so far. I'm sure Chino is working on that one, too. But Deftones is his first priority now.
14.11.2012 - 08:17
Opethian
I was taken by surprise when they announced a new album in the works late last 2011. Diamond Eyes for those who experienced it was, hands down an Amazing record. Everything about that album: Energy, Motivation and Will was on a whole new level as far as Deftones goes

KNY may not be as 'Dynamic' but its the next logical step from Diamond Eyes. There are some tracks on here that are Crazy good and one of Selling points for me with Deftones, was that even their 'Slower' paced tracks are just as Powerful as their more Heavier and Louder tracks. Im on my 4th spin and i can tell that this is going to get better with age. I havent been able to say that for any 2012 release to be honest

Just curious, whatever happened to naming the album 'Eros'? Koi No Yokan 8.5 / 10

*EDIT* I have been listening to KNY straight and it is ... amazing. There are some seriously Sublime tracks on here. This is a top pick for 2012
15.11.2012 - 00:11
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Opethian on 14.11.2012 at 08:17

Just curious, whatever happened to naming the album 'Eros'? Koi No Yokan 8.5 / 10

Eros is a "real" recorded album but it has been decided by the band that it will not be released for now. (in other words, the album has been "shelved".) Who knows, maybe they decide to release it once Chi makes a full recovery.
15.11.2012 - 00:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Very good record.
15.11.2012 - 18:19
Opethian
Written by Monolithic on 15.11.2012 at 00:11

Written by Opethian on 14.11.2012 at 08:17

Eros is a "real" recorded album but it has been decided by the band that it will not be released for now. (in other words, the album has been "shelved".) Who knows, maybe they decide to release it once Chi makes a full recovery.

Thanks
15.11.2012 - 20:42
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Anyone who has the permission to do it, should limit the nu-metal tag up to 1997 And arguably, a post-rock tag for the last two or at least this one.
15.11.2012 - 20:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Unhealer on 15.11.2012 at 20:42

Anyone who has the permission to do it, should limit the nu-metal tag up to 1997 And arguably, a post-rock tag for the last two or at least this one.

I was thinking of that, but I personally don't think post-rock is really appropriate. Post-rock has a different sound. Post-metal quite possibly.

[EDIT]

I've changed it from Alternative Rock to Alternative Metal for the time being. Thankfully it's quite an all-encompassing term that i think applies well to this band
15.11.2012 - 20:48
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Guest on 15.11.2012 at 20:44

I've changed it from Alternative Rock to Alternative Metal for the time being. Thankfully it's quite an all-encompassing term that i think applies well to this band

Works for me
16.11.2012 - 04:20
Opethian

I can't wait for that. Huge ISIS fan as well as Deftones. It will be an interesting album, that much i can say at the moment
23.11.2012 - 21:17
Panterica
I have never been a fan of Deftones. Actually, I never really bothered to listen to these guys until a few weeks ago and that didn't leave me impressed either. But yesterday, when I heard that they released a new album, I was curious so I gave the album a spin and liked what I heard. I guess you can say it's monotonous, but I think that "subtle" describes it better.
So, in accordance with my new revelation, which album of theirs I should check next? I heard that White Pony is being regarded as their most acclaimed record to date.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
23.11.2012 - 23:14
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Panterica on 23.11.2012 at 21:17

So, in accordance with my new revelation, which album of theirs I should check next? I heard that White Pony is being regarded as their most acclaimed record to date.

Yeah, that was their groundbreaking album and the one everyone seems to hype the most from their discography. Over here I'd choose "Around The Fur", it was the middle of the change from their somewhat nu-metal sound to the trademark sound they have now. And it has what probably are the two most iconic Deftones songs.
07.12.2012 - 23:35
Panterica
Written by Unhealer on 23.11.2012 at 23:14

Written by Panterica on 23.11.2012 at 21:17

Yeah, that was their groundbreaking album and the one everyone seems to hype the most from their discography. Over here I'd choose "Around The Fur", it was the middle of the change from their somewhat nu-metal sound to the trademark sound they have now. And it has what probably are the two most iconic Deftones songs.

It's the album with "shut up and drive?"
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
08.12.2012 - 00:11
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Panterica on 07.12.2012 at 23:35

It's the album with "shut up and drive?"

Yes It has that one and "My Own Summer".
13.12.2012 - 14:25
JD
Account deleted
Good album as always. Rosemary is an eargasm.
26.01.2013 - 06:40
Like Katatonia
02.02.2013 - 06:02
Rating: 9
squidrick420
I gave it a 9 originally, but after a few listens over time im saying 7.5 - 8. It really has nothing on Diamond Eyes in my opinion, which to me was the best Deftones album yet. Some songs are really good on this though, especially Swerve City, I love that Doomy intro riff that slams you into the album as soon as it starts. Some songs are a little bit of a letdown, but overall this stands as a average album with some good songs.
15.03.2013 - 00:44
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
The best alternative metal album of this year with amazing atmospheric technical modern influence .
18.06.2013 - 15:22
musicalkaratekid
Another very good Deftones album.What this one seems to lack is Moreno's aggressive, harsher vocals from the band's earlier albums but it is more than made up for with each song. What really stands out to me here is the quality of the atmosphere and the instrumentation. Once again the band shows their variety in musical styles, songs such as the lilting 'Entombed' and melancholic 'Romantic dreams' being contrasted by the aggressive heaviness of 'Leathers' and 'Good squad'. This sound isn't for everyone, but it certainly pleases me.
02.12.2020 - 17:32
Spawdophonik
Entombed and Rosemary might be the best songs Deftones have every done

Hits total: 13792 | This month: 38