Metal Storm logo
Wintersun - To Headline Heidenfest 2012, New Album Out Late Summer

Yesterday, Finnish extreme power metallers Wintersun's drummer Kai Hahto hinted about a new Wintersun update planned for today, and as promised, the update is here. The band will headline the Heidenfest tour in October/November and the new album will be released in late summer.

The band issued the following statement: "In the last couple of years, the Heidenfest turned out to be a unique and not-to-be-missed tour package when it comes to the biggest names in the field of heathen/viking metal and bands offering you the best in between war anthems and drinking horn frenzy! Which is why the 2012 line up looks like the wet dream of every heathen metal warrior again: headlining will be mighty genre legends Wintersun from Finland! It took mastermind Jari Mäenpää and his brethren exactly one album to write folk and melodic death metal history: Wintersun came out in 2004 and will be followed by a new milestone around the tour."

"We are very excited to announce that we are going to be headlining the 2012 Heidenfest Tour in October. There was some setbacks with the album during the winter (again), but as usual we have managed to ram through them. (Big thanks to our management for helping us through the tough times!). I've been mixing my ass off and things are going smooth and steady now and the album will be released late summer. Stay tuned for bigger updates about the album (or should we say "albums", wink wink!) Jari and the Wintersun boys, cheers!"

Heidenfest 2012: Wintersun, Korpiklaani, Varg, Trollfest and Krampus.

+ Special guests at extended shows*

19.10.2012 - GER - Oberhausen, Turbinenhalle - Extended Show*
20.10.2012 - GER - Stuttgart, LKA Longhorn - Extended Show*
21.10.2012 - NED - Tilburg, 013 - Extended Show*
22.10.2012 - SUI - Pratteln, Z7
24.10.2012 - ITA - Bologna, Estragon
25.10.2012 - AUS - Vienna, Gasometer
26.10.2012 - GER - Leipzig, Hellraiser
27.10.2012 - CZE - Prague, KD Vltavska
28.10.2012 - POL - Krakow, Studio
29.10.2012 - GER - Hamburg, Markthalle
30.10.2012 - GER - Berlin, Postbahnhof
31.10.2012 - GER - Munich, Backstage
01.11.2012 - GER - Saarbrücken, Garage
02.11.2012 - GER - Geiselwind, Music Hall - Extended Show*
03.11.2012 - GER - Gießen, Hessenhallen - Extended Show*
04.11.2012 - BEL - Antwerp, Trix

[Also thanks to moe5512 for sending in this news!]

Source: wintermadness.net
Band profile: Wintersun
Posted: 16.03.2012 by Account deleted

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 80   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 503 users
16.03.2012 - 20:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.03.2012 at 20:14
Oh please God forbid. Can't we get Ivan or Ivor to write script that automatically deletes any such post?

I might just take a little two-day vacation from the internet. Because it won't just be Metal Storm. It'll be Youtube, Facebook, Twitter... My god.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.03.2012 - 20:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.03.2012 at 20:15

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.03.2012 at 20:14
Oh please God forbid. Can't we get Ivan or Ivor to write script that automatically deletes any such post?

I might just take a little two-day vacation from the internet. Because it won't just be Metal Storm. It'll be Youtube, Facebook, Twitter... My god.

I will run to Hellridemusic forums and doom-metal.com then And stay out of any club where some mainstream metallers show up
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.03.2012 - 20:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
And I'll defriend any friend on Facebook who dares mention it
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.03.2012 - 20:29
Stabby
Account deleted
I'm proud of myself for discovering them in 2009, learning of the issue with the album and saying "meh that's okay I'll enjoy it when it comes out?" And then not thinking about it (until the videos for Way of The Fire came out, that was pretty good). The album will be the album, are you going to ruin it with resentment? Resentment is pretty metal though. Tough call... What would Jari do? Probably postpone resenting for 3 years.
16.03.2012 - 20:40
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 16.03.2012 at 19:54

Written by Guest on 16.03.2012 at 18:58

When you make people wait so long, its pretty much inevitable that the album wont live up to the expectations.

Well you should lower your expectations then. That would be the sensible thing to do.

Preaching to the choir, lady
16.03.2012 - 20:53
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.03.2012 at 20:15

Yeaaaaaaah right. Like it isn't like that for every album.
----
7.0 means the album is good
16.03.2012 - 20:58
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Guest on 16.03.2012 at 20:29

"meh that's okay I'll enjoy it when it comes out?" And then not thinking about it (until the videos for Way of The Fire came out, that was pretty good).What would Jari do? Probably postpone resenting for 3 years.

THANK YOU. Finally someone sharing my sentiments. Both sides are getting really fuckin' annoying. The worst part is that the "hahahah there are still people who care about this band" people are feeding the fire by posting those comments over and over, and then someone gets into a fight, and then the whole thing just gets more blown up. Not to mention the people who overdo praise, and the people who overdo bashing, but I raged out on the s/t album thread for that, no need to repeat myself. But I do hate myself for contributing to the topic every now and again.
----
16.03.2012 - 20:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Milena on 16.03.2012 at 20:53
Yeaaaaaaah right. Like it isn't like that for every album.

Every album? Hardly. Nightwish, Metallica, Maiden, sure. But we're talking about a 7-year wait. Seven years of waiting, by fans of one of the highest-rated albums on this site. A large portion of metal fans worship this guy as a living god. I expect this will spark more discussion than even those three bands.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.03.2012 - 20:59
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.03.2012 at 20:58

Every album? Hardly. Nightwish, Metallica, Maiden, sure. But we're talking about a 7-year wait. Seven years of waiting, by fans of one of the highest-rated albums on this site. A large portion of metal fans worship this guy as a living god. I expect this will spark more discussion than even those three bands.

Probably, but only on metal sites. It's not like the Wintersun tag will trend on tumblr.
----
16.03.2012 - 21:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Milena on 16.03.2012 at 20:59
It's not like the Wintersun tag will trend on tumblr.

You might be surprised. What's it take for a trending tag, 20,000 tweets? Wintersun could easily surpass that in a day.
----
16.03.2012 - 21:02
Slayer666
Oh boy, if this album turns out to suck ass, I imagine it will be the end of the world, or at least metal, as we know it.
Over-hyped things that took ages to finally see the light of day usually do suck, though, so I guess those Mayan dicks were right all along.
16.03.2012 - 21:43
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
If I was Wintersun I'd put their albumout on December 22nd 2012.

trollface.jpg
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.03.2012 - 21:43
BlueMobius
Account deleted
A post about Wintersun and here come all the "armchair quarterbacks" (as we say in the states) trying to call all the shots and give hindsight instruction on what should have been. Fans and trolls rip on this band all the time for taking years to put out the follow-up album, but has it really been that big of a deal? Life has gone on right? Chill out folks. The most disappointed person probably has to be Jari himself. Seven years of not being able to put out the music he quit a popular folk metal band, which has since put out 2 albums and is readying another, to make the music he wanted to create must be pretty hard. If the album turns out mediocre or bad, it's his legacy that suffers, and seven years of struggling for nothing. I hope success for him, and I'm sick of people gloating in the failure of those who don't deserve it.
16.03.2012 - 21:47
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Slayer666 on 16.03.2012 at 21:02

Oh boy, if this album turns out to suck ass, I imagine it will be the end of the world, or at least metal, as we know it.
Over-hyped things that took ages to finally see the light of day usually do suck, though, so I guess those Mayan dicks were right all along.

^^^
THIS, THIS, THIS and more fucking THIS!!!!

No matter how good the fanboys think this album is, it will never EVER live up to expectations...

Wintersun, you did it to yourselves!!!! Just ask Gearbox about Duke Nukem Forever.
----
rekt
16.03.2012 - 21:52
dougver1
I sure as shit hope he pulls through on this one! We've seen so much happen in the years it's taken to release Time, I was wondering if it would ever BE released. This better be the best damn thing I've heard in ages.
16.03.2012 - 21:56
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
I can't believe what I'm reading... I personally didn't expect this kind of update until at least 5 more years (or at least when Jari has grown a beard). Has the world come to an end?
16.03.2012 - 21:57
FeskarN
Finally! Have been waiting 6 years for this album and atlast it will be realased! I'm so happy right now!
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
16.03.2012 - 22:09
ablis1337
If the rest of the album is on par with The Way of the Fire, it's going to be amazing.
----
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone"
16.03.2012 - 22:13
Kuroboshi
I'm just happy to finally be able to hear it. Been waiting passively for about 6 years. Many other nice bands to listen to, so I haven't been desperate for it. But it's nice to see it finally out.
16.03.2012 - 22:46
About
freaking
time
16.03.2012 - 23:16
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Hehehe. I'll believe it when I see it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.03.2012 - 23:17
strade
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.03.2012 at 19:58

Written by Milena on 16.03.2012 at 19:54
Well you should lower your expectations then. That would be the sensible thing to do.

Or just not care.

That's the route I'm taking.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
16.03.2012 - 23:40
Enissa
Everytime I see Wintersun's name in new update I laugh so hard...
17.03.2012 - 00:05
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Guest on 16.03.2012 at 21:43

A post about Wintersun and here come all the "armchair quarterbacks" (as we say in the states) trying to call all the shots and give hindsight instruction on what should have been. Fans and trolls rip on this band all the time for taking years to put out the follow-up album, but has it really been that big of a deal? Life has gone on right? Chill out folks. The most disappointed person probably has to be Jari himself. Seven years of not being able to put out the music he quit a popular folk metal band, which has since put out 2 albums and is readying another, to make the music he wanted to create must be pretty hard. If the album turns out mediocre or bad, it's his legacy that suffers, and seven years of struggling for nothing. I hope success for him, and I'm sick of people gloating in the failure of those who don't deserve it.

I never thought I would agree with you, but here I am, agreeing with you. I mean, holly shit fuck Lucifer, all the updates have spawned at least a few hundreds of "lol I don't care" "lol this is so irrelevant" and similar posts. The fanboys have ruined the opportunity to discuss this band rationally, but so have the people who allegedly don't care. As for the "omg if he doesn't release this I'll be disappointed"... the only people who'll have the right to be disappointed if/when this gets scratched are the band members and their label.
----
17.03.2012 - 00:41
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 17.03.2012 at 00:05

I never thought I would agree with you, but here I am, agreeing with you.

Hell must be freezing over today. Us agreeing, Wintersun announcing Time's release and headlining a tour ...

Oh, on another note. I gleaned some info on the two disc thing from Kai's Facebook account. Seems that the album may be split into two parts due to length or something. He said something on his page (though it was in Finnish and I'm not sure how reliable the FB translator is) about two discs at around 40 minutes each and something about how that would make the album easier to digest.
17.03.2012 - 00:42
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 16.03.2012 at 20:58

Written by Guest on 16.03.2012 at 20:29

"meh that's okay I'll enjoy it when it comes out?" And then not thinking about it (until the videos for Way of The Fire came out, that was pretty good).What would Jari do? Probably postpone resenting for 3 years.

THANK YOU. Finally someone sharing my sentiments. Both sides are getting really fuckin' annoying. The worst part is that the "hahahah there are still people who care about this band" people are feeding the fire by posting those comments over and over, and then someone gets into a fight, and then the whole thing just gets more blown up. Not to mention the people who overdo praise, and the people who overdo bashing, but I raged out on the s/t album thread for that, no need to repeat myself. But I do hate myself for contributing to the topic every now and again.

I know it's sacrilege but I keep thinking "it's just music". Yes I loved the first album, but there are so many good releases all the time, all I ever did when reading about Wintersun's issues was think "I do care and I really want to hear it, but bitching about it isn't going to change anything" and that seems to work best. It is like people think that bands have an obligation to them to put out music and if they don't then they have every right to complain. How many of these people even bought the Wintersun album? Yes it's kind of ridiculous that it would take that long, but so what? It's coming out now, and there is their old album which I haven't listened to in a long time (except Winter Madness upon first snowfall of the year ).

And the talk about not even buying the album remains me. EVERYONE IF YOU LIKE THE ALBUM BUY IT FOR FUCK'S SAKE IF YOU CAN. I don't know how much of their troubles were their own fault or how much was just circumstance but money helps things along. I hope they have plenty of success this tour and album so it isn't an issue.

All of that said I get why people get upset, because a band can mean something significant to them. Like you said, changing expectations is best. It may not be easy but it's desirable. What do we do when a band breaks up? Feel sad and get over it.
17.03.2012 - 00:49
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Guest on 17.03.2012 at 00:41

Oh, on another note. I gleaned some info on the two disc thing from Kai's Facebook account. Seems that the album may be split into two parts due to length or something. He said something on his page (though it was in Finnish and I'm not sure how reliable the FB translator is) about two discs at around 40 minutes each and something about how that would make the album easier to digest.

Mmmm, I went a bit through it but my attention spam is a bit low today... I did catch someone's post on the update on Wintersun's wall saying how the update is gonna be about those construction workers in front of Jari's house smashing a wrecking ball against his walls and destroying the computer with Time in it, I chuckled
----
17.03.2012 - 00:50
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Guest on 17.03.2012 at 00:42

I know it's sacrilege but I keep thinking "it's just music". Yes I loved the first album, but there are so many good releases all the time, all I ever did when reading about Wintersun's issues was think "I do care and I really want to hear it, but bitching about it isn't going to change anything" and that seems to work best. It is like people think that bands have an obligation to them to put out music and if they don't then they have every right to complain. How many of these people even bought the Wintersun album? Yes it's kind of ridiculous that it would take that long, but so what? It's coming out now, and there is their old album which I haven't listened to in a long time (except Winter Madness upon first snowfall of the year ).

And the talk about not even buying the album remains me. EVERYONE IF YOU LIKE THE ALBUM BUY IT FOR FUCK'S SAKE IF YOU CAN. I don't know how much of their troubles were their own fault or how much was just circumstance but money helps things along. I hope they have plenty of success this tour and album so it isn't an issue.

All of that said I get why people get upset, because a band can mean something significant to them. Like you said, changing expectations is best. It may not be easy but it's desirable. What do we do when a band breaks up? Feel sad and get over it.

You're reading my mind or something? I'm one of the people who haven't bought the s/t though (third world and all), but I'm making up to it by not bitching about Time being pushed back
----
17.03.2012 - 01:06
Zap
Written by Guest on 16.03.2012 at 21:43

has it really been that big of a deal? Life has gone on right? Chill out folks. The most disappointed person probably has to be Jari himself.

I totally agree with you.
I was always certain this album was going to be awesome, or at least good. I did never care about the hype that was getting bigger and bigger over the years, just because it took longer to release this. The album is going to be the same album that was originally going to be released in 2006, it just took 6 more years, but it'll get there. There have been AWESOME albums since 2006, so nobody has the right to complain. Just my thoughts.
I am, however, quite excited by this update, and I very much hope it'll actually be released "late summer". That would kick ass
17.03.2012 - 01:07
Mimogrede
I've been expecting it, to come out about at the end of this year and to hear it's set for late summer is just great, let's hope, this time (heh) they will stick to the plan...
Also, what was he implying with albumS and winks?

Hits total: 7497 | This month: 18