Metal Storm logo
Mayhem

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 01.11.2006 - 22:30
No official Mayhem thread? Weird.

You all know the band, no need for an introduction. Discuss all Mayhem stuff here.

First, I'd like to start off with a question. Is anyone of you familiar with their live album Live In Zeitz?
I came across it lately, and was wondering if it is good. No, I am not talking about Live In Leipzig. Live In Zeitz has Dead on vocals, so I thought it would be nice to have that one, since there is not much of Dead besides Live In Leipzig and the Morbid/Mayhem split 'A Tribute To The Black Emperors'. Thank you!
29.05.2007 - 13:23
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@Blackwinged,

you may be right to some extend, but it would also be good material for a new topic.

And Ordo Ad Chao is getting better everyday..
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
29.05.2007 - 14:48
Wo0dy
Account deleted
ordo ad chao....i didnt like it. it was boring to me =\
10.06.2007 - 21:10
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Well for a die hard Mayhem fan for ages, I've barely had time to listen to their stuff recently.. I heard Ordo Ad Chao only once.. I wasn't overly surprised or very disappointed either but then again, it takes a few listens to actually get the feel of the album..

Been ages since I've been on but anyway I used to enjoy posting in this thread (Good job on thread creation Nerval ) Glad to be back talking abt good old Mayhem again.. Interesting bit abt Euronymous in the previous page.. He had his flaws of course but his musical work was more than amazing as far as I'm concerned...
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
11.06.2007 - 02:09
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I have really enjoyed Ordo Ad Chao, but when I first heard the mp3 release of Anti I was really unimpressed, but I listen to the new album often, definitely once each time I am at work, which is four days a week. My favourite song is definitely "Illuminate Eliminate" but I like a lot of the other tracks as well, this one just really stuck out to me.

At first I heard there was a lot of electronic elements which put some people off, but I don't really notice them and what electronic parts I do notice really do not seem that bad at all, unlike The Grand Declaration of War, which I don't really caroe for except maybe a couple of songs. I've really been digging "Wolf's Lair Abyss" and I find myself not really listening to Chimera at all anymore, which I use to think was great.
11.06.2007 - 05:19
Damned-In-Black
I won't say the new album was 'disappointing' because I never really expect too much of Mayhem to begin with, but I'd say it's one of their weakest, along with Chimera. I found nothing in the album worth listening, nothing which was remotely expressive. The whole thing was just hollow and lacking. There's moments where it sounds good, but those moments invariably get lost..
11.06.2007 - 21:16
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Damned-In-Black on 11.06.2007 at 05:19

The whole thing was just hollow and lacking.

exactly. that's why it's so good. it lacks emotions, but it still has a thick atmosphere.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.06.2007 - 02:20
Damned-In-Black
Written by Damnated on 11.06.2007 at 21:16

Written by Damned-In-Black on 11.06.2007 at 05:19

The whole thing was just hollow and lacking.

exactly. that's why it's so good. it lacks emotions, but it still has a thick atmosphere.

I suppose I should have said "lacking in atmosphere" to be more specific, because that's how I feel about it. I found it to have no atmosphere at all. Close to its biggest failing, in fact.
14.06.2007 - 03:15
Germ
Account deleted
I am a fan of Mayhem in the early years. Dead was an amazing vocalist. He made Attilla look like fucking Santa Clause. Attilla's ok and all, but Dead is sincere. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanis is one of the best black metal albums of all time. I won't knock the new stuff, though. Chimera and Ordo Ad Chao are perfectly decent albums. They just aren't GENIUS, like early Mayhem. Euronymous was awesome. I am going to rip Vikernes's balls out for killing him when he gets out of jail!!! I admit, I love Burzum, but I still hate Varg as a person. I used to think he was cool, but I've realized he is just an attention-seeking douchebag neo-nazi. Plus he killed a black metal legend over some little stupid shit.

Mayhem's early demos and EPs are exellent, if you haven't heard them, check them out. More along the lines of Deathcrush.
14.06.2007 - 03:43
Trifixion
Account deleted
Written by [user id=24359] on 14.06.2007 at 03:15

Plus he killed a black metal legend over some little stupid shit.

Well according to Varg, Euronymous was going for a knife which is why he killed him. It could very well be true because Euronymous also had plans to torture or kill Varg at some point. Not defending him or anything though...
14.06.2007 - 03:50
Germ
Account deleted
Dude. Varg STABBED EURONYMOUS 28 TIMES!!!! That's not what you would call "self-defense". Varg braggs about how brutally he butchered him and shit. Euronymous may have gone for a knife, but not in time to defend HIMSELF from Varg stabbing the fuck out of him. Think about it. Oh, and change your avatar. Reign In Blood is a cliche and has been ever since Arraya came out of the religious closet publicly. Trust me, people will laugh at you, and it will cost you credibility in this forum. Just constructive criticism; I even listen to RiB sometimes....for sentimental reasons.
14.06.2007 - 03:58
Trifixion
Account deleted
Written by [user id=24359] on 14.06.2007 at 03:50

Dude. Varg STABBED EURONYMOUS 28 TIMES!!!! That's not what you would call "self-defense". Varg braggs about how brutally he butchered him and shit. Euronymous may have gone for a knife, but not in time to defend HIMSELF from Varg stabbing the fuck out of him. Think about it. Oh, and change your avatar. Reign In Blood is a cliche and has been ever since Arraya came out of the religious closet publicly. Trust me, people will laugh at you, and it will cost you credibility in this forum. Just constructive criticism; I even listen to RiB sometimes....for sentimental reasons.

>_> I've been on this forum for a year and a half and not once has someone made fun of the fact that I have a Reign In Blood avatar. And if they did, I couldn't really give a shit.

Anyway, I wasn't particularly saying it was self defense, because I agree with you. However I think the story is a bit blurred against Varg, because the fact that Euronymous went for a knife really does change things a bit. And as I said, Euronymous apparently had plans to torture or kill Varg, so too bad for him that Varg got to him first. And if Varg didn't kill him, who knows, maybe Varg would have been killed and people would have viewed everything differently simply because of who killed who first.
Once again I'm not defending Varg, just saying that things really are different when you consider the fact Euonymous had plans to attack him in the first place.
14.06.2007 - 04:01
Germ
Account deleted
Written by [user id=8232] on 14.06.2007 at 03:58

>_> I've been on this forum for a year and a half and not once has someone made fun of the fact that I have a Reign In Blood avatar. And if they did, I couldn't really give a shit.

Anyway, I wasn't particularly saying it was self defense, because I agree with you. However I think the story is a bit blurred against Varg, because the fact that Euronymous went for a knife really does change things a bit. And as I said, Euronymous apparently had plans to torture or kill Varg, so too bad for him that Varg got to him first. And if Varg didn't kill him, who knows, maybe Varg would have been killed and people would have viewed everything differently simply because of who killed who first.
Once again I'm not defending Varg, just saying that things really are different when you consider the fact Euonymous had plans to attack him in the first place.

Good point(s). Are you a Burzum fan as well? I personally love both Varg and Euronymous's music...I was just curious to see about you....
14.06.2007 - 04:03
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

Reign In Blood is a cliche and has been ever since Arraya came out of the religious closet publicly. Trust me, people will laugh at you, and it will cost you credibility in this forum. Just constructive criticism; I even listen to RiB sometimes....for sentimental reasons.

Fucking n00b....and black metal corpse paint isn't?!?
14.06.2007 - 04:04
Trifixion
Account deleted
Written by [user id=24359] on 14.06.2007 at 04:01

Good point(s). Are you a Burzum fan as well? I personally love both Varg and Euronymous's music...I was just curious to see about you....

Definitely. Mayhem and Burzum are and were both great. I'm more of a Mayhem fan though.
14.06.2007 - 04:10
Germ
Account deleted
Written by [user id=8232] on 14.06.2007 at 04:04

Written by [user id=24359] on 14.06.2007 at 04:01

Definitely. Mayhem and Burzum are and were both great. I'm more of a Mayhem fan though.

Same. I love Filosofem, I go to sleep listening to it every night. It's guaranteed good dreams. However, I will always love mayhem over burzum. Nothing can beat that raw inhuman quality in Dead's voice.
14.06.2007 - 08:51
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
I prefer Burzum over Mayhem anyday. Mayhem for me is Deathcrush and DMDS. Dead is the BEST black metal vocalist !!!!!!!!!!

Period.
14.06.2007 - 15:33
Damnated
Churchburner
Dead is just another shity depressed kid who blew his brains out and got some fame for it. what did he make that is so big? a song? a fucking black metal song is enough to grant him a legend status? well, aparently it is.

black metal is not about stars and people. it's about the music. people should realise this.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
14.06.2007 - 16:14
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 14.06.2007 at 15:33

Dead is just another shity depressed kid who blew his brains out and got some fame for it. what did he make that is so big? a song? a fucking black metal song is enough to grant him a legend status? well, aparently it is.

black metal is not about stars and people. it's about the music. people should realise this.

IMO the lyrics on DMDS are the best black metal lyrics ever written, no competition. There's just something really eerie, mystical and genuine about them. Even though the music is awesome on it's own, when I listen to it while reading the lyrics it just takes it to another level, and there arn't many other black metal albums like that. The words to "Life Eternal" are even more potent because he actually killed himself. There are a lot of kids who whine on about wanting to die and how they cut themselves and shit like that, but Dead just did it, and if you believe what it said on his suicide note, then you can believe that he REALLY didn't care. Which is more than I can say for all those other shitty depressed kids. So for the lyrics on that album alone I would say that Dead is a legend. But that's just my opinion. I don't go around worshipping him or anything, but I think he deserves all the credit he gets.
14.06.2007 - 19:26
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Those mysticism about the lyrics is only because Atilla sung them, if you ask me. Sure, they are very good, but written for Atilla's voice. I am not bashing Dead cause I think he's a very good vocalist, but simply not as good as Atilla's.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.06.2007 - 22:26
Germ
Account deleted

Did you even read his post? He didn't say anything about Dead being a star. He said he was a good vocalist, which is true. Stop trying to be combative, you suck at it.

I actually agree that Dead was a terrific vocalist, definately Mayhem's best. DMDS is one of the best BM albums of all time.
15.06.2007 - 07:50
Damnated
Churchburner
did you even read my post? i didn't say dead was a star. i'm saying it now, though, that you internet bm kids think he's a star, a legend.

and if you write to sentences after each other, try to make a connection, because you sound like a 2 year old.

DMDS is one of the best BM albums of all time from this fraze you should coclude that attila is mayhem's best vocalist, not dead. you can't even draw conclusions. you can't even write a coherent post.
----

15.06.2007 - 08:04
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest

Do you really think that dead is famous because he did some stupid crap [:O] Its really funny when people ACTUALLY come up with such statement.

quoting from 'Favorite Mayehm Vocalist' thread:

Dude , at what basis you say Dead is not legend ?? Have you heared Dead's voice , Its way better then any other black metal vocalist EVERRRRRRRRRR !!

Listen all the stuff by dead , if you really want to know how he actually sounds like. Get the album in which Morbid&Mayhem songs are featured. Vocal by dead , amazing it is .... If i have to give example of GRIM voxxxx then anyday i'll go with Dead.
I guess you know the song 'freezing moon' 'funeral fog 'Pagan Fears' all is written by dead only. Attila did the vocals while recording in it a studio version. And if you think that people worship them because he did some stupid thing then i dont have to say anything.
huh !.

DEAD OWNS ALL !!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111

I suggest you to listen the album 'Live In Leipzig' , its the AWESOMEFKING lineup

Dead
Necrobutcher
Euronymous
Hellhammer

Just listen the song 'Freezing moon' in Dead voxxxx ( 'Live In Leipzig' ) and do the same with Attila's voxxxx ( De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas , album ).

Just listen both song and compare them , you will know what i am talking about. I just HATE attil'a vox in Freezing moon and Funetal Fog , DEAD is way way way way better then Attila. Although i enjoy the song 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' with attila vox .... awesome he is , but again DEAD is DEAD.

DEAD PWNS all black metal vocals , Period.
15.06.2007 - 08:25
ASiema113

Good point about the music being the central focus of BM this is something people tend to forget somewhere along their lives, unfortunatly...

As far as this who's better business goes, I think I we've all seen more then enough of this kind of ranting going on between the aol chats where all the 13 year olds go, I think we're a bit more mature then them lets try to resolve these types of quarells in an ordely and respectful matter. Otherwise someones going to get banned for slaundering others b/c they don't understand the term "opinion".
----

Written by [user id=22888] on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
15.06.2007 - 12:19
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Hembrom on 15.06.2007 at 08:04

Do you really think that dead is famous because he did some stupid crap [:O] Its really funny when people ACTUALLY come up with such statement.

quoting from 'Favorite Mayehm Vocalist' thread:

Dude , at what basis you say Dead is not legend ?? Have you heared Dead's voice , Its way better then any other black metal vocalist EVERRRRRRRRRR !!

Listen all the stuff by dead , if you really want to know how he actually sounds like. Get the album in which Morbid&Mayhem songs are featured. Vocal by dead , amazing it is .... If i have to give example of GRIM voxxxx then anyday i'll go with Dead.
I guess you know the song 'freezing moon' 'funeral fog 'Pagan Fears' all is written by dead only. Attila did the vocals while recording in it a studio version. And if you think that people worship them because he did some stupid thing then i dont have to say anything.
huh !.

DEAD OWNS ALL !!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111

I suggest you to listen the album 'Live In Leipzig' , its the AWESOMEFKING lineup

Dead
Necrobutcher
Euronymous
Hellhammer

Just listen the song 'Freezing moon' in Dead voxxxx ( 'Live In Leipzig' ) and do the same with Attila's voxxxx ( De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas , album ).

Just listen both song and compare them , you will know what i am talking about. I just HATE attil'a vox in Freezing moon and Funetal Fog , DEAD is way way way way better then Attila. Although i enjoy the song 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' with attila vox .... awesome he is , but again DEAD is DEAD.

DEAD PWNS all black metal vocals , Period.

i don't know why he's a legend, i was just referring to some bm kid from another forum. He made the song "Freezing Moon" Thats one of the best songs! (Not the best but One of the best!) .

i don't need to listen to any old mayhem stuff, because i know what the guys sounded like. i bet it was cool back then, but today it sounds pretty avarege. but you'll say that's becasue everyone is copying him. i agree to some extent, but the final conclusion is that there are better vocalists. period.

ps: posting the bloke's mug will not proove anything.
----

15.06.2007 - 13:22
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
^ Name better vocalist then DEADin black metal genre , i will own you whole lotta beer for that !!

People listen to whole lotta bands and people like all good bands. Everybody have different taste , i like Drudkh , Von , Beherit , Burzum , Carpathian Forest , Darkspace , Mayhem ... i have lot many black metal gods. What is wrong if i worship DEAD, i somehow feel that DMDS album is supreme.

If you say that DMDS sounds pretty average to you then i think its end of discussion.

Its fun people hate varg and dont listen to Burzum because varg is sick and since DEAD commit suicide, people say since he did some uber crap thing people worship them
15.06.2007 - 14:56
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Quote:
What is wrong if i worship DEAD, i somehow feel that DMDS album is supreme.
If you say that DMDS sounds pretty average to you then i think its end of discussion.

In what way does this strenghten your arguments? Because it was Attile on DMDS..
----

15.06.2007 - 15:45
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Hembrom on 15.06.2007 at 13:22

what's the connection? the lyrics? you think dmds is supreme because of it's lyrics? that's odd, considering that it's black metal what we're discussing here.

i could name 5 reasons why it's wrong to worship dead, but why should i do so? also, what's the point of enlisting better bm vocalists? nor you, nor the other cult members wont be convinced....

ps: if you like the bands of saenko and tobias mockl, how can you even consider calling dead a legend?
----

15.06.2007 - 17:22
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by Lucas on 15.06.2007 at 14:56

Quote:

In what way does this strenghten your arguments? Because it was Attile on DMDS..

Yeah the studio version, i mean the album 'Live in Leipzig' .... i really enjoy the DEAD vocals in it.

Written by Damnated on 15.06.2007 at 15:45

what's the connection? the lyrics? you think dmds is supreme because of it's lyrics? that's odd, considering that it's black metal what we're discussing here.

i could name 5 reasons why it's wrong to worship dead, but why should i do so? also, what's the point of enlisting better bm vocalists? nor you, nor the other cult members wont be convinced....

ps: if you like the bands of saenko and tobias mockl, how can you even consider calling dead a legend?

Its just not the lyrics , its the feeling of the song .... the environment its so amazing and in the top of it Dead's crushing and grim vocals thrash everything. Well i already said if DMDS or 'Live in Leipzig' sounds just OK to you then i dont have to say anything else.

And yes i absolutely love saenko and tobias mockl's stuff , so what if i like them all. Now dont kill me for that. Its like saying If you love Athiest or Cryptopsy you cant love Demilich (Antti ):P
15.06.2007 - 18:50
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 14.06.2007 at 19:26

Those mysticism about the lyrics is only because Atilla sung them, if you ask me. Sure, they are very good, but written for Atilla's voice. I am not bashing Dead cause I think he's a very good vocalist, but simply not as good as Atilla's.

Yeah I was just thinking... I don't like anything else Attila has done, but his strange vocal style goes really well with Dead's lyrics on the album. It's really unique and you couldn't have had it without both of them contributing, even though Dead was... er... dead (when the album was actually recorded). Kind of like a collaboration from beyond the grave... haha that's kvlt as fuck!
15.06.2007 - 19:35
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Hembrom on 15.06.2007 at 17:22

Written by Damnated on 15.06.2007 at 15:45

Its just not the lyrics , its the feeling of the song .... the environment its so amazing and in the top of it Dead's crushing and grim vocals thrash everything. Well i already said if DMDS or 'Live in Leipzig' sounds just OK to you then i dont have to say anything else.

And yes i absolutely love saenko and tobias mockl's stuff , so what if i like them all. Now dont kill me for that. Its like saying If you love Athiest or Cryptopsy you cant love Demilich (Antti ):P

what are you talking about? attila was the vocalist on dmds...

are you missing my point on purpuse, or are you just slow? i said if you like the bands of saenko and tobias mockl, how can you even consider calling dead a legend?. i'll expalin carefully then.

part1: saenko and mockl are clearly 2 musical prodigies

part2: dead is just a kid who screams

if you can see part one, and i think you can beacuse you said you liked both darkspace and drudkh, then how can't you see part two?
----