Metal Storm logo
Frantic Amber won the Swedish Wacken Metal Battle 2012

02.06.2012 - 12:30
Samedi
Frantic Amber won the Swedish heats of Wacken Metal Battle 2012th On site was a professional jury consisting of persons engaged in the music industry and headed by President Ida Evileye (Crucified Barbara). Motivation is as follows:

"Extremely compelling, inspiring, energetic and with a grim matter of course, this band completely run over us in the jury! I myself have been a bit of a fan since a year back when I heard this band for the first time.

1st prize is to get to play on the WET Stage at Wacken Open Air in Germany, August 2012. Wacken Open Air is the world's biggest metal festival drew more than 75 000 visitors last year.

02.06.2012 - 12:35
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Samedi on 02.06.2012 at 12:30

Why is the fact that they're female important?
----
7.0 means the album is good
02.06.2012 - 14:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Milena on 02.06.2012 at 12:35

So men are interested to see some probably hot chicks.

It's called marketing, Milena... Nothing more to it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.06.2012 - 14:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious

It's not. We don't hear of "all male" bands, and "male fronted" bands, do we? Metal is still mainly a male dominated genre though... but even so, as long as women in metal are highlighted for no reason other than gender, women will never treated as true equals with men, where musical talent is the only thing they are being judged on.
02.06.2012 - 14:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
- Hi storm. I'm surprised to see you.
- Yeah man I know, I was a glass of water just a while ago.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.06.2012 - 15:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
^^... come again?
02.06.2012 - 15:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 02.06.2012 at 14:49
Metal is still mainly a male dominated genre though... but even so, as long as women in metal are highlighted for no reason other than gender, women will never treated as true equals with men, where musical talent is the only thing they are being judged on.

You kind of answer yourself there with the first sentence. If you think it's kind of sexist to highlight their genre... well, It's your opinion. To me this is as highlighted as a metal band full of black members or a band full of gay people would be highlighted. Simply because it's unusual in quantity. Not because of equality.

Then again... I probably don't understand this issue AT ALL since I have a little Rodrigo (I call it Lil' Rod) in my pants.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.06.2012 - 16:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.06.2012 at 15:11
You kind of answer yourself there with the first sentence. If you think it's kind of sexist to highlight their genre... well, It's your opinion. To me this is as highlighted as a metal band full of black members or a band full of gay people would be highlighted. Simply because it's unusual in quantity. Not because of equality.

Then again... I probably don't understand this issue AT ALL since I have a little Rodrigo (I call it Lil' Rod) in my pants.

Yep, but SHOULD a band full of gay members be highlighted just for being gay? Rob Halford has said he believes that in all probability there must be other gay men in metal bands who are still in the closet, and he is probably correct. And you can't visit a single site featuring Judas Priest without Rob's sexuality being brought up, and very often, it's done in a negative way. So while yes, the volume of gay men in metal is low, the fact that their sexuality is highlighted isn't necessarily a positive thing. And it's the same sort of thing with women in metal.

Those things are highlighted, yes because it's unusual, but also because there's inequality. Are female bands treated and viewed differently than male bands just because of their gender? I'd say that generally speaking, they are. And like the gay example I mentioned above, it's certainly not always a positive difference being highlighted. Until things like gender/skin colour/sexuality are a non-issue in metal, then there is no equality.

I still want to know what you meant by being a glass of water though...
02.06.2012 - 16:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Yeesh, chill with the sexist shit. Female-fronted bands are highlighted because they still aren't as commonplace in the metal scene. It's no different than when, say, a Japanese extreme metal band comes out. It's kind of surprising that a Japanese band isn't playing flower metal, so it should be noted that they're from Japan as they're breaking the norm. The day female-fronted or all-female bands are as common as male-fronted or all-male bands, then the only reason it will need to be highlighted is to led the audience know whether or not they're going to be listening to a man singing or a woman.

It's not a "problem" strictly related to metal, either. Just look at "boy bands" and "girl bands" in pop (Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.06.2012 - 16:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 02.06.2012 at 16:22
I still want to know what you meant by being a glass of water though...

Because you are making things bigger than they actually are. Simple as that.

Quote:
I mentioned above, it's certainly not always a positive difference being highlighted.

It's not a negative thing either... IT JUST IS.
You say that equality won't exist until things aren't mentioned... Trust me, you are not helping. You are the one who chooses to look at it as an example of lack of equality instead of a neutral article just mentioning the genre because it's unusual... which is a fact.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.06.2012 at 16:22
Female-fronted bands are highlighted because they still aren't as commonplace in the metal scene. It's no different than when, say, a Japanese extreme metal band comes out. It's kind of surprising that a Japanese band isn't playing flower metal, so it should be noted that they're from Japan as they're breaking the norm. The day female-fronted or all-female bands are as common as male-fronted or all-male bands, then the only reason it will need to be highlighted is to led the audience know whether or not they're going to be listening to a man singing or a woman.

Exactly, but some people are clearly missing the point.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.06.2012 - 16:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.06.2012 at 16:22
It's not a "problem" strictly related to metal, either. Just look at "boy bands" and "girl bands" in pop (Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls).

I actually had thought about that, but a lot of people think (falsely) that metal, unlike pop, is "all about the music". And free of the superficiality of most mainstream pop music fans. But in actual fact, many metal fans, and most of the metal media too, are just as superficial as their pop music equivelants.
02.06.2012 - 16:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 02.06.2012 at 16:33
But in actual fact, many metal fans, and most of the metal media too, are just as superficial as their pop music equivelants.

Agreed, although if I spent too much time ranting about this subject we'd get incredibly off-topic, so I'll just leave it at that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.06.2012 - 16:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
They point is that they won.....despite being women

----
Rod, let me love you.
02.06.2012 - 16:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.06.2012 at 16:38
Agreed, although if I spent too much time ranting about this subject we'd get incredibly off-topic, so I'll just leave it at that.

True, and agreed.

@Mr Doctor: Why you... ! *shakes fist*.
02.06.2012 - 17:38
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Mmm, it's only natural to highlight that they're all women, since that is pretty uncommon - I always mention if a band is female fronted in my reviews, because not all will enjoy in female vocals. But the fact that they're all girls doesn't bear a significance to the way music will sound whatsoever (except for the vocals), so it's only natural to highlight it later in the text. I was merely asking the OP why did he feel the need to put it at the beginning. I wouldn't call it sexism, but it's interesting.
----
7.0 means the album is good
02.06.2012 - 18:13
Angelic Storm
Melodious
^^ What a ridiculous headline that is...

Written by Milena on 02.06.2012 at 17:38
I was merely asking the OP why did he feel the need to put it at the beginning. I wouldn't call it sexism, but it's interesting.

I think it's really as simple as Mr. Doctor stated in his first reply. Most metalheads are still male, so mentioning the fact that they're all female in the headline, is a way to grab their attention, even if it's at the most basic sexual level.

I didn't call it sexism either. lol
02.06.2012 - 18:23
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I guess this isn't the time or place to post "Boobs" so I'll refrain from that.

In other news, I'd love to go to Wacken
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.06.2012 - 19:23
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Angelic Storm on 02.06.2012 at 14:49

Metal is still mainly a male dominated genre though... but even so, as long as women in metal are highlighted for no reason other than gender, women will never treated as true equals with men, where musical talent is the only thing they are being judged on.

It's not about equality or inequality at all. As you already wrote it yourself, metal is a music genre that is not considered particularly "feminine", so to speak... So if you have a band that consists of only female members, then it is pointed out and catches attention and interest because there are "girls who not only listen to "masculine" music but also make "masculine music"... thus, it's about breaking subconscious stereotypes.

I'm slightly perplexed because shouldn't the fact that all-female metal bands exist be something that, for instance, feminist activists find positive. After all, it's about breaking gender stereotypes when women are involved in a genre both musicians and audience of which are predominantly male.

It's a bad comparison but it's a similar thing when we talk about male "midwives". Historically, childbirth has even been treated as the "holy secret" of the women in different cultures and sometimes even a painting depicting a male animal was taken out of the room by the midwives to "clean" the area of any possible references to anything male...

Sure men and women are equal. But no one can deny that there have always been, are and will always be things where the preferences of men and women go separate ways. Actually, I think that in this case here, the girls might actually have an advantage. The fact they are a metal "girl-band" surely is a promotion of it's own kind and at least I don't see it as a negative thing at all.
02.06.2012 - 19:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ernis on 02.06.2012 at 19:23
It's not about equality or inequality at all. As you already wrote it yourself, metal is a music genre that is not considered particularly "feminine", so to speak... So if you have a band that consists of only female members, then it is pointed out and catches attention and interest because there are "girls who not only listen to "masculine" music but also make "masculine music"... thus, it's about breaking subconscious stereotypes.

Sure men and women are equal. But no one can deny that there have always been, are and will always be things where the preferences of men and women go separate ways. Actually, I think that in this case here, the girls might actually have an advantage. The fact they are a metal "girl-band" surely is a promotion of it's own kind and at least I don't see it as a negative thing at all.

Yep, I did say that... I guess because we still live in an age where women in metal aren't always taken completely seriously, and are far more likely to be also judged on non-musical elements than bands with male members, it can be frustrating sometimes. But of course it is breaking subconscious stereotypes, and even when I picked up an electric guitar for the first time and played a metal song, I was aware that I was doing something considered atypical for my gender, but that I wanted to do anyway. There is definitely a positive side to it, but I guess as long as metal is predominantly played by, and listened to by males, then female metal musicians will be highlighted because of their gender. Which is understandable I guess.

Absolutely, and I've always been one to point that out. Men and women should be treated equally, but not as being the same. I think our differences can be highlighted and celebrated whilst still retaining equality between the sexes. As for that being an advantage... for me personally, if I was in a band, I'd rather be being promoted for being a good musician and making great music, than simply for being a female musician. It's like when you hear guys saying to a female musician "you're good for a girl"... gender shouldn't be a factor in that instance at all.
03.06.2012 - 06:07
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
But they're not a female band. Isn't the drummer a dude? (I might be wrong, cause you never get a ckear shot of the drummer in the video). "Female band" implies all member are women (Gallhammer, not Subrosa).

Written by Angelic Storm on 02.06.2012 at 16:22

Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.06.2012 at 15:11

Yep, but SHOULD a band full of gay members be highlighted just for being gay? Rob Halford has said he believes that in all probability there must be other gay men in metal bands who are still in the closet, and he is probably correct. And you can't visit a single site featuring Judas Priest without Rob's sexuality being brought up, and very often, it's done in a negative way.

Are female bands treated and viewed differently than male bands just because of their gender? I'd say that generally speaking, they are.

(1st paragraph) Same thing with Gaahl.
(2nd paragraph) I do pay more attention to female fronted bands cause, when 2 vocalist have the same ability/range, I prefer the female voice. There's a few bands I probably wouldn't have bothered with if the singer was a dude cause I want to listen to music with a chick singing/screaming. Same as bands with 2 vocalists.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
03.06.2012 - 06:15
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Angelic Storm on 02.06.2012 at 19:36

Written by Ernis on 02.06.2012 at 19:23

It's like when you hear guys saying to a female musician "you're good for a girl"... gender shouldn't be a factor in that instance at all.

Quote from Kelly Johnson's obituary:
"The eminent rock guitarist Jeff Beck was quoted as saying he "couldn't believe it was a girl playing", a remark described by the DJ John Peel as the most sexist comment he had ever heard."

Lemmy also said, in A Headbanger's Journey, that people said Johnson was "pretty good for a girl", to which he would reply "Mate, she's better than you."
----
03.06.2012 - 08:28
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by M C Vice on 03.06.2012 at 06:07

But they're not a female band. Isn't the drummer a dude? (I might be wrong, cause you never get a ckear shot of the drummer in the video). "Female band" implies all member are women (Gallhammer, not Subrosa).

Haha, you're right! I'm not certain, but I think at one point, Frantic Amber were all comprised of females, but when the last drummer left, they replaced her with a guy. So the OP was wrong in any case to say they were a female metal band.

(1st paragraph) Same thing with Gaahl.
(2nd paragraph) I do pay more attention to female fronted bands cause, when 2 vocalist have the same ability/range, I prefer the female voice. There's a few bands I probably wouldn't have bothered with if the singer was a dude cause I want to listen to music with a chick singing/screaming. Same as bands with 2 vocalists.

About Gaahl: Yep, the exactly same thing happened with Gorgoroth when Gaahl came out. As soon as that happened, 99% of talk regarding Gorgoroth was about Gaahl's sexuality. And a great deal of that was negative. This continued until Gaahl left the band. But, like women in metal being highlighted specifically for being women, whilst there was a negative side to that, the positive side of it was like Rob Halford before him, Gaahl was helping to smash down stereotypes. Even more so for Gaahl, as he was in an extreme metal band, which meant an even more negative reception to his coming out as what greeted Rob when he did so years before.

Your 2nd point: That actually wasn't the point I was trying to make, but you do make a good point. I usually don't pay attention to female fronted bands, unless the vocals are harsh, as I'm not really a fan of clean female vocals in metal music. But band's with female members that I do like, whilst they are helping to break down stereotypes in the metal world, I don't really view them much differently to bands with male members, as to me their gender is pretty much a non-issue. My view on that might be different if I was male though.

Written by M C Vice on 03.06.2012 at 06:15
Quote from Kelly Johnson's obituary:
"The eminent rock guitarist Jeff Beck was quoted as saying he "couldn't believe it was a girl playing", a remark described by the DJ John Peel as the most sexist comment he had ever heard."

Lemmy also said, in A Headbanger's Journey, that people said Johnson was "pretty good for a girl", to which he would reply "Mate, she's better than you."

John Peel is a legend, and it doesn't surprise me at all that he would have said such a thing. I personally do find it patronising if someone says I am "good for a girl" in regards to my guitar playing. Gender in that instance should be a non-issue, you're either good, or you're not. What gender you are shouldn't come into it. As for Lemmy, what can I say? He is also a legend! lol
03.06.2012 - 12:46
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.06.2012 at 08:28

quote]

Your 2nd point: That actually wasn't the point I was trying to make, but you do make a good point. I usually don't pay attention to female fronted bands, unless the vocals are harsh, as I'm not really a fan of clean female vocals in metal music. But band's with female members that I do like, whilst they are helping to break down stereotypes in the metal world, I don't really view them much differently to bands with male members, as to me their gender is pretty much a non-issue. My view on that might be different if I was male though.

I was just saying that I do look for the term "female fronted" cause I like the female voice in music, clean or harsh (although, with any vocalist, it depends on the voice). The instrumentalists are irrelivent(?). Would Samantha Escarbe's guitar playing sound any different if she were a dude?
PS: clearly, spelling isn't my strong suit.
----
03.06.2012 - 13:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

2 boobs , one pussy , thats why probobly
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.06.2012 - 17:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Fuck you're elegant, k7.
----
03.06.2012 - 18:43
Savopipo
I wonder when the first all gay black metal band see the light of day.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
05.06.2012 - 17:42
Fredd
Account deleted
BOOOOOBIES.
05.06.2012 - 19:37
Misfit74
Female band playing the WET stage.

Coincidence? I think not.
06.06.2012 - 04:41
Ritual_Suicide