Metal Storm logo
Best Lyrics/Best Lyricist

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 12.11.2006 - 04:46
Wanted to see who thinks which band/musician writes the best lyrics, and why. feel free to list examples.

My favorite would be Dave Mustaine of Megadeth, especially in the songs 'foreclosure of a dream' and 'captive honour' he is able to achieve phenominal lyrical content without losing poetic structure and rythm.
01.02.2008 - 17:53
Son of Odin
Steve Harris - Iron Maiden
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
03.02.2008 - 12:33
Bulletdodger
In my opinion best lyricists are:
1.Steve Harris
2. James Hetfield
3.Max Cavalera
The song with the best lyrics is Paschendale
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
03.02.2008 - 14:57
doomina
Account deleted
Dax Riggs : i love his style and the metaphors he's using ... so dark, simply wonderful.
Steve von Till : especially on neurosis - the eye of every storm / a sun that never sets and on his solo albums.
Dustin Kensrue: i know that he has not anything to do with metal but i love the lyrics of his song pistol. it's a song about love ... but it's so positive!
the most love songs are so negative and depressing ... i love it.
Daniel & Vincent Cavanagh : the lyrics on temporary peace are awesome ... everything is also great ... ah, they're all great!
11.03.2008 - 17:55
ABUSOR
Account deleted
Jeremy Wagner in his Broken Hope era and Max Cavalera in both Sepultura and Soulfly.. They're both insane lyricists. Fenriz is good with his lyrics too
01.05.2008 - 19:47
HugeTheConqeror
I would have a hard time choosing from among:

Paul Kuhr [Novembers Doom] - Very personal lyrics. Each ND album is like a personal catharsis for Kuhr, and I don't know of many musicians in any genre that are as willing to share so much personal experience and feeling. Of those, even fewer are able to do it skillfully, without degenerating into maudlin. For excellent examples, check out the lyrics to "Dark World Burden" and "Twilight Innocence." Only someone who had a good deal of life experience could write the way that Kuhr does.
Mikael Åkerfeldt [Opeth] - Truly a master at capturing atmosphere. A lot of Opeth's stuff is driven by concept, and he communicates the story well, but also has a novelist's skill in communicating the atmosphere along with it.
Steve Harris [Iron Maiden]- The godather of epic metal themes and lyrics.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
02.05.2008 - 01:31
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
There are so many great lyricists and musicians out there, it really is hard to determine what is to be considered "Best." I suppose amongst my favorites would be Dave Mustaine, who writes highly Political and societal lyrics, all of which have a tendancy to spark my brain. But he also has a tendancy to write with just a touch of Fantasy or Science Fiction themed lyrics, which I find entertaining and a nice change up every once in a while. I also love Maiden's Steve Harris. He writes about literature, fantasy, and the honor of the days of old. basically, he's epic. And seventh son of a seventh was a brilliantly written concept album. I love Hansi Kursch for many of the same reasons. Mike Portnoy and James Labrie seem to both write very emotive and personal lyrics, as well as semi-political and societal, and I love that. My favorite song by Dream Theater is "In The Name of God" and while it's not the only reason, a very large factor in that is the lyrical quality. Chuck Schuldiner is a guy we can't forget about, he's soo deep and his use of Metaphors is simply genius.

Aside from deeper Lyricists, I also have to mention other lyricists that I love for the sheer sake of the fun of the music they write. Amongst these are Alex Webster and Jeff Walker/Bill Steer. Alex Websters lyrics are pretty straightforward, but are funny as shit. Carcass lyrics, too, are also funny as shit, but are alot more creative, imo.

Outside of the Metal realm, I would have to say that all members of the Wu Tang clan are pretty damn Genius. RZA, GZA, Inspectah Deck, and Masta Killa because of how deep they are and because of they issues that they adress in their music and themes. Raekwon and ODB because they're just so fuckin' hard and I have a hell of alot of fun listening to them. Method Man, Ghost, and U-God because of a Mixture of both. Other great hip hop Lyricists would be Chuck D, Ice Cube, Nas, Eminem, Guru, Big L, Tupac, I could name alot more. No one please bitch at me over this part of the post because opinions are something personal and I don't feel like arguing with you.

Other good Non-metal Lyricists? Robert Plant. He refers to alot of things from LOTR in a cool and creative way, and he also uses metaphors so creatively. Johny Cash, of course. He too was good with the metaphors, and other songs were straight forward, but still deep. Jim Morrison could be described by his usual title of a "True American Poet." Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers is an awsome lyricist. Most people don't pick up on it but, he refers to alot of bands that influenced him in his songs.

The number of great lyricists is endless, but one things for sure, I apreciate them all.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
02.05.2008 - 01:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@Arian
Yup, I think we discussed this before but Dave is definitely my favorite, he has quite a few clever lines. Personally I could never get into Opeth lyrics, I love their music but I find the lyrics to be kind of pretentious, as with a lot of prog-metal lyrics.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
02.05.2008 - 06:47
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Doc G. on 02.05.2008 at 01:53

@Arian
Yup, I think we discussed this before but Dave is definitely my favorite, he has quite a few clever lines. Personally I could never get into Opeth lyrics, I love their music but I find the lyrics to be kind of pretentious, as with a lot of prog-metal lyrics.

I actually don't know much about Opeth tbh. I like them alot it's just that I never really delved that deeply into them. Could you tell me what most of their lyrics are about, just so I could know?

And yeah, no denying, Dave is a genius.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

02.05.2008 - 10:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Arian Totalis on 02.05.2008 at 06:47

@Arian

I actually don't know much about Opeth tbh. I like them alot it's just that I never really delved that deeply into them. Could you tell me what most of their lyrics are about, just so I could know?

Well, to simplify it, its mostly stuff about depression...and nature type stuff, I guess it fits the music well, but at the same time I can appreciate good clever poetic verses from thrash and death metal bands singing about silly subjects. But I guess behind most prog-like lyrics it just reminds me of the pretentious prog fans that I always meet, then again, I guess every genre has those stereotypes (IE black metal fans being obnoxiously elitist, thrash fans being stupid drunks, power metal fans being simple minded ear candy seekers, and prog fans being pretentious), but like I said, I guess Opeth couldn't write lyrics like 'Blunt Force Castration' and expect it to fit the music.
----
- George Carlin
03.05.2008 - 05:45
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Doc G. on 02.05.2008 at 10:27

@Arian

Well, to simplify it, its mostly stuff about depression...and nature type stuff, I guess it fits the music well, but at the same time I can appreciate good clever poetic verses from thrash and death metal bands singing about silly subjects. But I guess behind most prog-like lyrics it just reminds me of the pretentious prog fans that I always meet, then again, I guess every genre has those stereotypes (IE black metal fans being obnoxiously elitist, thrash fans being stupid drunks, power metal fans being simple minded ear candy seekers, and prog fans being pretentious), but like I said, I guess Opeth couldn't write lyrics like 'Blunt Force Castration' and expect it to fit the music.

Yeah, there I can definitly agree. I like lyrics that are based around nature and even depression (thus one reason why I'm an Into Eternity fan) but I also understand the feelings you may get from hearing the lyrics, and why it may turn you off. Regardless though, I was introduced to metal through three different genres simultaniously, so I have a harder time having those feelings. I just enjoy it all. Even though I really would be justified in having bitter feelings toward Prog fans, seeing as how the guy that introduced me to metal (a big prog fan) was a real ass to me in the end and pulled some bullshit moves.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

03.05.2008 - 07:18
Metal_Militia
Written by Son of Odin on 01.02.2008 at 17:53

Steve Harris - Iron Maiden

//Hell yeah man! i think you also have to put up Chuck Schuldiner from Death and Dave Mustaine up there as well. I disagree a tad with Hetfield. In my opinion, i think Metallica's best lyrics came from the first 3 albums, which Dave pretty much did 80 % of lyrical contributing. Obviously i think some his lyrics on Black Album were very good, but i think Mustaine was what made Metallica's lyrics so kick ass//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

03.05.2008 - 08:13
carlithrashinmad
Account deleted
-Chuck Schuldiner has some really interesting lyrics that make me think a lot of things going on in life.

-Immortal's lyrics, they take me to the far North Land! (never been there thou) but I really like to hear them when I am feeling a little dark minded and want to be alone in my kingdom cold haha hell yeah!! Demonaz lyrics are awesome.

-Tankard's just because I love beer

-Kreator,Megadeth and Sepultura, society and political stuff

-Definitly Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath

There are a lot more good lyrics out there...But I have to say there is nothing better than Pink Floyd's lyrics, thats gotta be the best band ever to have touched this planet
03.05.2008 - 11:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Arian Totalis on 03.05.2008 at 05:45

Written by Doc G. on 02.05.2008 at 10:27

@Arian

Yeah, there I can definitly agree. I like lyrics that are based around nature and even depression (thus one reason why I'm an Into Eternity fan) but I also understand the feelings you may get from hearing the lyrics, and why it may turn you off. Regardless though, I was introduced to metal through three different genres simultaniously, so I have a harder time having those feelings. I just enjoy it all. Even though I really would be justified in having bitter feelings toward Prog fans, seeing as how the guy that introduced me to metal (a big prog fan) was a real ass to me in the end and pulled some bullshit moves.

exactly. Like I said, Im a big fan of Opeths music, I just think think a lot of the lyrics reflect alot of the prog fan base snobbery.
----
- George Carlin
04.05.2008 - 13:46
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
i cant say who is the best or which is the best. but i can say that i love jaymz's lyrics. and i love a lot of doom metal lyrics.
for exampke "Wish" by "Niclas Frohagen"(Forest Of Shadows)
19.10.2008 - 17:38
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Steve harris:maniac:
19.10.2008 - 17:43
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Good topic.
I'll also say Steve Harris from Iron Maiden. But I want to add Mikael (Opeth); Tom Englund (Evergrey) for his concepts and ideas, not exactly for the lyrics itself; and Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon) for the same reasons of Englund.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
21.10.2008 - 01:06
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Best lyrics come, of course, from Tenebras (from Nuit Noire). Why? Because he sings about fairies, forests, night and his mighty lunar sword, the best subjects I can think of.
These are one of my favourites, the title being "Scrapheap!":

Be aware before crossing the road
My little cat
You nice dog
Spiky hedgehog
Long ears rabbit

Frog and pimply toad
Creeping caterpillar
Little singing cricket
Butterfly bird and owl

I hate you, fucking cars, cause you kill the animals
Grinding their bones, bursting their veins and making them agonize
I will crush you as you crush them, you will taste my lunar sword
You won't be able to run anymore, you will become a scrapheap

Metal lyrics are mostly pretentious and boring, I prefer absurdity and humour, especially when it's stupid as hell.
24.02.2009 - 07:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I recently came to the conclusion that Spinal Taps 'Big Bottom' is the best lyrics:

The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'
That's what I said
The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand
Or so I have read

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo
I'd like to sink her with my pink torpedo

Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about bum cakes, my girl's got 'em
Big bottom drive me out of my mind
How could I leave this behind?

I met her on Monday, 'twas my lucky bun day
You know what I mean
I love her each weekday, each velvety cheek day
You know what I mean

My love gun's loaded and she's in my sights
Big game is waiting there inside her tights, yeah

Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about mud flaps, my girl's got 'em

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo
I'd like to sink her with my pink torpedo

Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about bum cakes, my girl's got 'em
----
- George Carlin
02.03.2009 - 10:12
Brave
One of my favourite is "Amon Amarth - Cry of the black birds" when i read this lyrics it feels like watching a film about war
03.03.2009 - 08:48
Yooden
Hansi kursch (specially for "nightfall"), matt barlow (for all of his lyrics), springsteen (for mostly everything) and arjen lucassen (human equation is amazing) are those that first spring to mind.
----
www.aji-works.net
www.theycalluslegion.com
07.03.2009 - 22:58
Saitenhexerin
I think Steve Harris' name was mentioned before - and this i justified!
I also like Dickinson's Vocals, for they are really cryptic and somehow darker...and with some of them i really can identify me.
And of course Robb Flynn's lyrics belong to my favourites. I think he knows how to criticize and to express feelings.
Also Opeth's lyrics are amazing and beautiful too!
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
07.03.2009 - 23:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by John Barleycorn on 21.10.2008 at 01:06

Best lyrics come, of course, from Tenebras (from Nuit Noire). Why? Because he sings about fairies, forests, night and his mighty lunar sword, the best subjects I can think of.
These are one of my favourites, the title being "Scrapheap!":

My little cat
You nice dog
Spiky hedgehog
Long ears rabbit

Frog and pimply toad
Creeping caterpillar
Little singing cricket
Butterfly bird and owl

I hate you, fucking cars, cause you kill the animals
Grinding their bones, bursting their veins and making them agonize
I will crush you as you crush them, you will taste my lunar sword
You won't be able to run anymore, you will become a scrapheap

Metal lyrics are mostly pretentious and boring, I prefer absurdity and humour, especially when it's stupid as hell.

taste my mighty lunar sword!!!! how can that be Black Metal??

Written by Doc G. on 24.02.2009 at 07:17

I recently came to the conclusion that Spinal Taps 'Big Bottom' is the best lyrics

lol you can't go wrong with Spinal Tap, also check out Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight, it has some really fucking funny lyrics which i remembered:
you're sweet and you've just 4 feet
and you still got your baby teeth,
you're far too young and i'm too well hung <<<
but tonight i'm gonna rock you tonight

we're hot we'll take all you got
not a dry seat in the house <<<

also a really cool song instrumentally
08.03.2009 - 00:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Valentin B on 07.03.2009 at 23:33

Written by Doc G. on 24.02.2009 at 07:17

I recently came to the conclusion that Spinal Taps 'Big Bottom' is the best lyrics

lol you can't go wrong with Spinal Tap, also check out Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight, it has some really fucking funny lyrics which i remembered:
you're sweet and you've just 4 feet
and you still got your baby teeth,
you're far too young and i'm too well hung <<<
but tonight i'm gonna rock you tonight

we're hot we'll take all you got
not a dry seat in the house <<<

also a really cool song instrumentally

I like how well they wrote rock lyric parody's, they're all some of the most sexually unappealing lyrics ever written.
----
- George Carlin
10.03.2009 - 22:18
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I'm not a big reader of lyrics and I certainly don't try to interpret them, but a few still get stucked somehow.

Steve Harris of course. Since everyone has mentioned him I won't comment further.

Erik Ravn. Main composer and writer of Wuthering Heights. Brilliant lyrics with a lot of references to Danish music from the 70's and 80's.

Hansi Kürsch. Well Nightfall is just a masterpiece to me and a lot of their other songs have awesome lyrics as well.

Some of Rammstein's lyrics are brilliant too
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
27.11.2009 - 22:48
DayFly
There are only a few bands where I actually care about the lyrics, as most metal musicians are better at rocking than talking. But the following not already mentioned in this thread really make reading the lyric sheet somewhat rewarding:
Metal Church: Hanging In The Balance is uplifting and spiritual without becoming preachy

Bathory: Puts American bands writing lyrics in their mother tongue to shame

Type O Negative mostly for the humor, I admit

Lizzy Borden: Carreer highlight Ursa Minor, a song about a stargazers love for the night sky, and the entire Master Of Disguise album

W.A.S.P. and their in my opinion rather overrated pre-Headless Children stuff and Helldorado be damned
28.11.2009 - 01:49
Warlock84
Amon Amarth- just goes without saying
Jon Schaffer- Gettysburg trilogy, Dante's Inferno. Dracula, etc...
Alabama Thunderpussy- no bullshit, just honest real world emotion
The Haunted- same as ATP
Into Eternity
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
10.06.2010 - 20:15
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Cryptopsy (before they sucked) was always a good read:

"Who is this Geoffrey?
All I see is this cold cadaver
Why is this Geoffrey
lying in puddles of pus on a gurney?
Tell me of this Geoffrey,
this boy with a noose around his neck;
More about Geoffrey:
why is he wearing his mother's bra?

How old was Geoffrey?
At a guess, I'd say
about twelve or thirteen;
He died accidentally
from auto-erotic asphyxiation;
He'd been masturbating...
our little stiff still has one on
and it's been one week!

The resurrection men
took their sweet time
Cross-dressed fruit:
what a way to die!
Now he's ours:
the apple of our eve;

Fetch the dead sphincter:
cold green meat
How did his ass taste?
Tender and sweet...

And then we fucked it..."
13.06.2010 - 08:03
SerratedSyringe
Anaal Nathrakh needs to just publish their damn lyrics already so I can go ahead and nominate V.I.T.R.I.O.L.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
04.11.2010 - 17:17
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Band: We Butter The Bread With Butter (Germany)
Track: I Shot The Sheriff

lyrics:

Jaaaaaaaaaa
Jip Jip Jip Jappijaaaa

wö dö dö oh
jö di öh
jö di dö dö oi

Au
Breeee Weeeee
bree bree bree bree bree bree bree bree
Au
Breeee Weeeee

I Shot The Sheriff
Lalalalalalala
I Shot The Sheriff
Lalalalalalala

Bree bree bree bree
bree bree bree bö bi bö
Bree bree bree bree
bree bree bree bö bi bö

I Shot The Sheriff
Joooooooooooooooooooo

Ui Ui Ui Ui
Ui Ui Ui Ui Ui
Ui Ui Ui Ui Ui
Ui Ui Ui Ui Ooooh

Jo Jo Jo
BreeeeuuuWeeee
La La La
Jo Jo Jo
BreeeeuuuWeeee
La La La

Au
Breeee Weeeee
Au
Breeee Weeeee

Ui Ui Ui Ui Ui Ui
Ui Ui Ui Ui
Ui Ui Ui Ui Ui
Ui Ui Ui Ui Ui Ui Ui
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
09.11.2010 - 05:44
SlaytanicGonzo
By far, and no question about it, the greatest lyricist of all time is RICARDO IORIO. From Argentina's 3 biggest metal bands: V8, Hermetica and Almafuerte.
All his lyrics are about something real, he doesn't write about demons or dragons. He writes about the corrupt government, about natives righs, about metal (But in a brilliant, intelligent way, not like stupid Manowar WE ARE MORE METAL THAN YOU way), about the working class, philosophy, the facsit regime which Argentina was under in the 70's and 80's. (V8 used to sing about this in the 80's, when people got killed for talking about the government. That's some balls right there), about nationalism, life and death, etc.
All his lyrics are in spanish, and they can't be translated because you would miss the beauty of it. I've read/heard thousands of lyrics in my life. But no one even comes close to Ricardo Iorio's. They touch me in an emotional, personal way. It almost makes me wanna cry sometimes. Amazing.