Metal Storm logo
How Metal Opens Minds About Music

Original post

Posted by Zealot644, 16.06.2012 - 21:03
Was hanging out with a new friend of mine from my previous year in high school. We're both friends with somebody else who, like me, listens to metal (especially the heavy stuff). I know he has shown the friend who I was hanging out with his 'idea' of what metal should be - pure harsh vocals and aggression, deeper the better. The friend who I was hanging out with seemed entirely turned off by what he was shown because it was simply what he was shown to be 'metal' in all shapes and forms, wrongly convinced by a bad impression. This friend only listens to music you would hear on the radio, which 99/100 times is utter trash.

When we were hanging out yesterday, I showed him some of my library which has everything from pure cleans and slow tempo to extreme everything. We didnt have much time, so I showed him some Protest The Hero because they're not particularly hard to listen to in terms of intensity. After a few songs such as "C'est La Vie", "Hair Trigger", and "Spoils" he seemed to me as if his mind was just opened. He described that unlike what he is used to, in which a song essentially builds up to a peak and then descends, that the music he was listening to was up and down repeatedly, how the lyrics were completely foreign (topic wise) - and how he liked it.

It was an interesting thing for me to witness, because he had acted disgusted before when he knew I was listening to metal on my iPod, or with what the other guy was listening to. It appears to me like I completely changed his views on music with only a couple of well chosen songs. I know that metal can sometimes take time to get into, usually requiring the lighter side to draw somebody in and then building it into an acquired taste by getting progressively heavier over time.

So, did any of you ever do something like this for others?
18.06.2012 - 04:56
Necrox
Written by Zealot644 on 18.06.2012 at 04:25

Written by tea[m]ster on 17.06.2012 at 21:18

Written by Zealot644 on 16.06.2012 at 21:03

You need to talk to my wife, she just doesn't get it.

Your wife doesnt understand why people like metal?

Or maybe she doesn't get the music itself
18.06.2012 - 07:20
Darkfiber
First of all, Protest the Hero aren't really metal...

...moving on. I've actually found the opposite, at least in my case. Since I listen to metal, I think I am very closed minded about other types of music, in that, I think all types of music suck. Even most metal, to be honest. There's a LOT of bad metal out there...way more bad than good, in my opinion, or generic/uninteresting enough so that I wont bother listening to it. I've found that metal makes most people music snobs, if anything.
18.06.2012 - 07:31
I found if someone does not like metal and you are gonna get them into it i think the 70's are a good place to start i myself love and listen to black metal most of the time but i understand how off putting some black metal is for people and the harsh vocal style of singing surely is not for everyone.You don't want their first Cd to be Mayhem or Deicide.
----
No Mosh, No Core, No trends, No Fun
18.06.2012 - 13:49
Zealot644
Written by Necrox on 18.06.2012 at 04:56

Or maybe she doesn't get the music itself

Tried anything that could be considered easy listening? Instrumental stuff does wonders.
18.06.2012 - 13:51
Zealot644
Written by Darkfiber on 18.06.2012 at 07:20

Haha! What?!
18.06.2012 - 18:39
Darkfiber
Written by Zealot644 on 18.06.2012 at 13:51

Haha! What?!

They are technical punk, brah.
18.06.2012 - 19:14
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Metal didn't make me any more musically open minded.

if anything it was an already exploratory mindset coupled with picking up and trying to learn how to play guitar.

not particularly sure if i've 'planted metal seeds' in others. i've made suggestions to those friends of mine who are also more exploratory in nature. if anything Ministry is a great bridge to cover gaps. the band became increasingly metal while still retaining cred with the alternapalooza crowd.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.06.2012 - 20:03
theFIST

try something similar to what she already listens to, maybe then she"ll start to like it
what does she really enjoy?
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
18.06.2012 - 20:36
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Uldreth on 17.06.2012 at 22:54

What does have nutritional value then?

I do agree with the vast majority of what you are saying but I really doubt anything has nutritional value at all. It would be absolutely pretentious to have anything put above something else here based on "artistic values" that's just gonna be subjective anyways. Progheads might be raving about Dream Theater being oh-so-fucking artsy and complex and whatnot but to me it is tearfully boring instrumental wankery and I would take a simple and "poppy" band like All That Remains for example over them any day.

In the end the only semi-reasonable way you can put any music over the other (aside from personal preference) is to look at the intent behind its creation. I have very little respect for music that is more a product than self-expression like the majority of really mainstream pop music, but as long as any music is made with the intent of genuine self-expression, I cannot really put anything above the other in terms of artistic values.
Metal is diverse, there is very simple metal and very complex metal (all pretense aside I really do think tech death is one of the most technically demanding contemporary music genre be it "popular" music or self-righteously and pretentiously designated "art music". And music does not have to be complex to be artsy or good at all.

What I meant by nutritional value is that most of Metal is not that much different from the mass produced music that metalheads hate so much. But this is not a bad thing per se. If anything it is a consequence of today's music industry that constantly pressures artists to put out as much material as possible and often limit the resources available to them.

How many metal musicians actually have a working knowledge of Music Theory and Composition? Not very many, in fact I'm fairly certain that Lady Gaga has more knowledge about music than most metal musicians. If we take Heavy Metal for what it is musically and lyrically it will not be very impressive, for the most part.

But we don't listen to Metal just for what it is Musically and Lyrically. The whole package comes with theatrics; it comes with the eclectic mixture of singing and playing techniques; it comes with the imagery and the costumes; and most importantly it comes with the community (which for the most part is great). All of these things make metal an excellent form of entertainment but not necessarily the pinacle of contemporary music or the ultimate form of modern artistic expression -- so we should treat it as so.

There is not much, musically speaking, that separates Metal from Country, Folk, Modern Rock, Pop/rock, and even Rap. If art is so subjective, why do metalheads insist on having this sense of elitism over other types of music that require just about the same level of skill to play and compose? There are excellent musicians, albums, and songs from each of these genres -- listening to Metallica or Iron Maiden does not automatically make you more "deep" or smarter than someone who genuinely enjoys Usher or Green Day. I sense that this feeling of pseudo-elitism is particularly strong with the younger metalheads (those in the 15-25 age range), which is a shame.

I agree that Metal can be very complex at times. I will also say that there are bands pushing the envelop and expending the genre to new borders. I do not deny the fact that there are excellent Metal musicians out there that are certainly worthy of all the praise they get. But on average, Metal is not any better than its siblings.
----
18.06.2012 - 21:24
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
I had a similar effect when I played some more melodic metal to some people I know back in my school days.
I think to get into a wide array of metal does require an open mind.
Folk Metal......Symphonic Black Metal .......Any metal with Prog elements.........Any of those genres demand an open mind/intelligence from the listeners, cuz they'll most likely be multi-layered or possibly complexed.

P.S. @ Zealot644: Not to stray off topic, but the pic of you in your profile, was that taken somewhere in The Bahamas? Seriously the backround looks distinctly Bahamian.
18.06.2012 - 21:59
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Darkfiber on 18.06.2012 at 18:39

Is there even such a genre?
18.06.2012 - 22:56
Mattybu
I don't think I've ever been able to free any captive souls using the power of metal. I figure it would take the most epic Rhapsody of Fire track to do so.

That's not to say I don't suggest it to people. Most people don't like it. Although, I did get one of my friends to really get into Slayer, which we both agree on being one of the top metal bands to this day.
19.06.2012 - 00:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 18.06.2012 at 21:59

Technical punk sounds like an oxymoron to me...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.06.2012 - 01:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 00:41

Technical punk sounds like an oxymoron to me...

Like technical funeral doom... Now THAT'S interesting.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.06.2012 - 02:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Considering it came from a guy who disregards Protest the Hero as a metal band, I'm not surprised he responded by making up a new genre just to describe them.

God forbid metalcore is still a thing, right?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.06.2012 - 02:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Written by Zealot644 on 18.06.2012 at 13:51

Haha! What?!

I can see why you'd think that if you only heard their first few EPs/first album. Throw on Fortress or Scurrilous, totally prog/prog metalcore. Any punk in there is pretty much obscured by all the...uhmm...metal riffing.

They definitely have their punk side (more noticeable in their older stuff), but to flat out say they're just not metal at all is a bit silly.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.06.2012 - 00:55
Darkfiber

http://www.last.fm/tag/technical%20punk/artists
20.06.2012 - 01:01
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Darkfiber on 20.06.2012 at 00:55

Sir, I think you're overestimating the validity of Last.fm music junkies.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
20.06.2012 - 01:23
Darkfiber
Written by vezzy on 20.06.2012 at 01:01

Written by Darkfiber on 20.06.2012 at 00:55

Sir, I think you're overestimating the validity of Last.fm music junkies.

I don't care about, nor have ever used Last.fm. I just googled "technical punk" and that's the first thing that came up. I was merely trying to prove that I didn't just make up that genre on the spot as there are many other people in the world that refer to that as a genre. Hell, if djent can be a genre, then surely so can technical punk. And there are many more bands on that list that sound like Protest the Hero than any metal bands I can think of.
20.06.2012 - 01:47
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Darkfiber on 20.06.2012 at 01:23

I just googled "technical punk" and that's the first thing that came up.

Sir, I think you're overestimating the validity of Google.
20.06.2012 - 03:49
Zealot644
Dark's strange opinion derailed this thread a bit. If you click on Protest The Hero on your 'technical punk' page, you'll read their description of "Protest the Hero are a Canadian progressive metal band from Whitby, Ontario."

Anyways, point proven. Let's get back on topic please everybody
21.06.2012 - 00:19
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor

Ha, no, she doesn't like metal at all. I try with her, play it in the car when we are together or play it at home when she is around. About as heavy as she gets is Queensryche's Empire, and that's a very commercial album...
----
rekt
21.06.2012 - 00:23
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by theFIST on 18.06.2012 at 20:03

try something similar to what she already listens to, maybe then she"ll start to like it

Bon Jovi is her favorite band, she can tolerate Queensryche and Rush and maybe some of the newer stuff on the radio like Chevelle, Taproot, and Linkin Park. I think she is a lost cause when it comes to heavier stuff...
----
rekt
21.06.2012 - 00:58
theFIST
Written by tea[m]ster on 21.06.2012 at 00:23

Written by theFIST on 18.06.2012 at 20:03

Bon Jovi is her favorite band, she can tolerate Queensryche and Rush and maybe some of the newer stuff on the radio like Chevelle, Taproot, and Linkin Park. I think she is a lost cause when it comes to heavier stuff...

used to really enjoy bon jovi when i was in elementary school
am i assuming correctly that means wanting understandable, not too harsh vocals and a traditional song structure?
if yes you might have success with late Strapping Young Lad, and maybe also with I and Book Of Black Earth
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
21.06.2012 - 04:55
Mr. Blonde

...moving on. I've actually found the opposite, at least in my case. Since I listen to metal, I think I am very closed minded about other types of music, in that, I think all types of music suck. Even most metal, to be honest. There's a LOT of bad metal out there...way more bad than good, in my opinion, or generic/uninteresting enough so that I wont bother listening to it. I've found that metal makes most people music snobs, if anything.

Fortunately for us all, not everyone shares your mindset. I'm not talking about technical punk, others have already addressed that absurdity. I mean the whole metal causes close mindedness thing.

The reality is that people are going to be either close minded, open minded, or any one of the scores of varying degrees between those two opposites irregardless of what they listen to. I like to think of myself as mostly open minded, but I am not fully open minded, I'd be a hypocrite to label myself as such because I am very close minded towards several types of music, though few and far between as they are.

But the point is that listening to metal doesn't make someone open or close minded in and or itself. Not everyone goes down a path of just one style of extreme metal and then thinks every other style sucks (including the ones that got them to that point). And not everyone opens up to every single style of not just metal, but other music as well either. Even those of us with the most eclectic of tastes won't like everything.

So I don't think that the OP's opinion that metal opens minds holds much water, sorry dude. But I also don't think that this opinion that metal just makes people snobs is valid either. The answer to this thread is that there isn't really an answer, just conflicting generalizations.

I will say this though, I can understand why the OP made this topic. But "metal" could be replaced by anything that is non-mainstream. Punk, underground hip-hop, Indyrock, AOR type stuff, etc... could all substitute the word metal. I love metal, but it's like any other thing that has loyal followings despite not being widely popular. Does watching indie films open people's minds up about narrative? Or do poems do that? Or Broadway theater? There really isn't an answer. But it's probably safe to say that big budget CGI fests like Transformers 3 do indeed fail to expand people's minds, much like Ke$ha fails to do the same in the music world.
21.06.2012 - 15:27
Thrashette
I understand how both sides of the argument can work... I can see how someone might be exploring various types of music and then stop when they finally discover metal and realize it's what they've been looking for. I don't know if I can say that my level of open-mindedness changed because of metal though. It made me become closed to a lot of other genres (mainly pop and radio rock), especially during the "tr00 metal" phase that a lot of metalheads go through when the nu metal or metalcore phase passes, but I think it opened me to some others as well. I never really liked opera vocals until I heard them in symphonic metal and I think folk metal gave me more appreciation for folk music in general.

A lot of people tell me that more extreme types of metal are an acquired taste. I will definitely agree on that one. I couldn't stand that stuff before and never would have guessed that it would become my favourite genre years ago... I started with melodic metal and my taste gradually got more extreme over the years. As for getting people into metal, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't... Some people won't like it regardless of what you start them off with. I got my childhood best friend to listen to some melodic metal but she never really went out of her way for it and it was probably only because of my influence, since she reverted to pop music when we went our separate ways for university. But last week, I got a friend to go to a local metal show with me just because he had nothing better to do. He was expecting that he'd hate it, but he actually enjoyed it and said he finally "gets" metal... So now I have to wait and see how far into metal he gets
21.06.2012 - 16:32
ANGEL REAPER
Not a single form of music will make you open minded ,not even art or books...
its the other way round ...if you are open minded you will be "open minded " when it comes to music
whether one is open minded or not depends on social and parental influence mostly ;perhaps tolerance is a thing you might learn from music and art in my humble opinion...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
01.07.2012 - 09:12
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
It opens your mind... to evil. Mwahahaha. ...Satan.
Sorry.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.07.2012 - 09:47
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

Yes, it exist.
01.07.2012 - 09:49
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by tea[m]ster on 21.06.2012 at 00:19

Ha, no, she doesn't like metal at all. I try with her, play it in the car when we are together or play it at home when she is around. About as heavy as she gets is Queensryche's Empire, and that's a very commercial album...

Holy crap! you sound like my dad.

Are you my dad?