Metal Storm logo
DJ:s Playing arenas and treated like rockstars

21.06.2012 - 14:17
arwestromen
Just saw a documentary about some dj group who travels the world, playing arenas and earning a shit load of money....during their "live performance" the only thing I saw them do was to puch, twist and turn a few buttons and nobs and somehow it made the crowd go ape shit...WTF!?
Explain to me (if you can) what the big deal is with DJ:s being so popular these days?
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
21.06.2012 - 14:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
The colon in DJs is really pissing me off.

That being said, Im not sure what it is about them that's given them this supposed popularity (I personally don't know anything about it so I'm assuming your obviously biased description is at least statistically accurate) but at the end of the day I'm assuming it's due to the fact they play music people want to hear.

I've known a couple DJs that are good, and others that were terrible. It's about song selection, flow, mood, etc. and the popular ones I'm assuming are better at captivating their audience.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.06.2012 - 14:45
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.06.2012 at 14:33

The colon in DJs is really pissing me off.

That being said, Im not sure what it is about them that's given them this supposed popularity (I personally don't know anything about it so I'm assuming your obviously biased description is at least statistically accurate) but at the end of the day I'm assuming it's due to the fact they play music people want to hear.

I've known a couple DJs that are good, and others that were terrible. It's about song selection, flow, mood, etc. and the popular ones I'm assuming are better at captivating their audience.

Well, about 0.026% of what I listen to is DJ electronica, and what I look for is technicality, and originality. I hate when a DJ takes Poker Face, and adds a bass drop to the chorus, and gets millions of dollars. The popularity of it is beyond me, I gennerally look for instruments in my bands, but I respect artists who don't. Also, see one live must be boring as fuck, unless you high on LSD.

My 2 cents.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
21.06.2012 - 14:58
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Boxcar Willy on 21.06.2012 at 14:45

My 2 cents.

I call your 2 and raise 2

Firstly they make way more as the music is way more popular than metal would ever be. So promoters are willing to spend more as they know the profits will be more.
Secondly its easier for a DJ to tour with equipment and a few crew as compared to a band of 5 with another 5 crew. If a festival catering to the everyone and not a specific genre, wants a book an act. I'm guessing the promoter/booker would rather take a DJ, which would cater to more audience than a metal band who charges the same. Plus logistics wise, I'm sure its a lot easier.

With regard to the music, it's not just about turning knobs and pressing buttons. Crap DJ's would probably do this, but the good ones take it a lot further.
There is a lot of work involved into making your music. Creating tracks and samples takes talent and mixing live is a different ball game all together I guess.
I would agree with Willy regarding DJ's taking pop songs and remixing them, I wouldn't really respect the guy if he did just this and didn't have any of his own tracks.
I guess depending on the DJ the live show would be boring or not. I guess the same can be said with any other genre.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
21.06.2012 - 18:44
Warman
Erotic Stains
I guess Spirit is right about this... but yeah, to me it's also just a dude turning some knobs. No one is paying me money at parties when I put on a CD and press play. I sometimes also adjust the volume and if I'm not too drunk, tune in some decent bass too.
----
21.06.2012 - 18:52
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Warman on 21.06.2012 at 18:44

I guess Spirit is right about this... but yeah, to me it's also just a dude turning some knobs. No one is paying me money at parties when I put on a CD and press play. I sometimes also adjust the volume and if I'm not too drunk, tune in some decent bass too.

Haha if you think that's what a DJ does, then you haven't really seen a DJ
It's like a guy who plays guitar hero telling everyone he's a guitarist
----

Last fm
Don't click here
21.06.2012 - 18:58
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Spirit Molecule on 21.06.2012 at 18:52

Haha if you think that's what a DJ does, then you haven't really seen a DJ
It's like a guy who plays guitar hero telling everyone he's a guitarist

Haha yeah I know it's not only that, but that's what I want to see it like. Being a grumpy close-minded metal fan as soon as it comes to "artists" (yeah, that's right, quotation marks) making more money than... Varg Vikernes.
----
21.06.2012 - 19:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Warman on 21.06.2012 at 18:58
Varg Vikernes.

I have no qualms with professional DJs earning more from their material than Varg.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.06.2012 - 19:26
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.06.2012 at 19:19

Varg Vikernes.

I have no qualms with professional DJs earning more from their material than Varg.

Nah, me neither.
----
21.06.2012 - 23:47
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Well this guy can scratch.

Also are we talking just DJ's or producers as well?
----

Last fm
Don't click here
22.06.2012 - 11:04
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.06.2012 at 19:19

Varg Vikernes.

How about... A Burzam dance remix album! You could throw some samples of Varg's various ramblings into the mix, too.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
22.06.2012 - 12:29
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
To the OP:
Try to create an entirely new mix live, on the fly, using a huge rack of equipment and then tell me if being a DJ is really that easy
A DJ is a musician just like a guitar player or piano player but their instrument is a stack of electronics instead of one traditional instrument. Their craft still requires a lot of musical talent and a huge talent for improvisation as well...
22.06.2012 - 13:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
^ THREAD TERMINATED.

+1 to Jupi.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.06.2012 - 14:42
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.06.2012 at 13:23

^ THREAD TERMINATED.

+1 to Jupi.

Wait a minute. I already did this
----

Last fm
Don't click here
22.06.2012 - 22:32
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Why would anyone go to a metal concert and pay good hard earned money to hear some idiot on stage screaming about Satan for hours on end?
----
(space for rent)
23.06.2012 - 00:31
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by jupitreas on 22.06.2012 at 12:29

To the OP:
Try to create an entirely new mix live, on the fly, using a huge rack of equipment and then tell me if being a DJ is really that easy
A DJ is a musician just like a guitar player or piano player but their instrument is a stack of electronics instead of one traditional instrument. Their craft still requires a lot of musical talent and a huge talent for improvisation as well...

This is true, but look at modern preformers like Skrillex, I swear to god he just has one big red button that says "BASS DROP" on it. However I suppose that it's just like metal, we have our shitty popular bands like BFMV and A7X, they have Skrillex. What would you recommend me for some good Dubstep or electronica?
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.06.2012 - 12:23
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Dane Train on 22.06.2012 at 22:32

Why would anyone go to a metal concert and pay good hard earned money to hear some idiot on stage screaming about Satan for hours on end?

is been asked in interviews to many DJ's and they say, "It's totally stupid" or "whatever, they are insane".
23.06.2012 - 12:56
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Boxcar Willy on 23.06.2012 at 00:31

What would you recommend me for some good Dubstep or electronica?

Well depends on what kinda stuff you're looking for.
You should check out the dubstep thread, there were some cool artists on there.

You can try Jazzsteppa (Live Dubstep), Phutureprimitive
----

Last fm
Don't click here
23.06.2012 - 12:57
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule

Don't we do that at church as well? Except it's god in this case
----

Last fm
Don't click here
23.06.2012 - 15:30
theFIST
Written by Spirit Molecule on 23.06.2012 at 12:57

Don't we do that at church as well? Except it's god in this case

at church there are mostly spoken words and clean singing used instead of growls, shouts and screams
also the instruments, playing styles and instrument/vocal mixes are quite different
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
23.06.2012 - 17:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Let's not bring religion into this.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.06.2012 - 17:27
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by theFIST on 23.06.2012 at 15:30

at church there are mostly spoken words and clean singing used instead of growls, shouts and screams
also the instruments, playing styles and instrument/vocal mixes are quite different

Hmmm I don't think you got what I meant. It was supposed to be a joke anyway
----

Last fm
Don't click here
24.06.2012 - 02:38
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite

you've never been to my church...
----
(space for rent)
24.06.2012 - 08:12
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 23.06.2012 at 00:31

What would you recommend me for some good Dubstep or electronica?

http://posthuman.bandcamp.com/album/syn-emergence
24.06.2012 - 12:23
theFIST
Written by Dane Train on 24.06.2012 at 02:38

you've never been to my church...

you run a church?
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
24.06.2012 - 16:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Let's keep it on topic guys. There are threads dedicated to religion - you can carry the discussion over there if need be. This one is about DJs being "treated like rock stars".
----
26.06.2012 - 19:23
arwestromen
Note to self: don't create a tread when you're drunk

I have little to no memory making this....but i'm glad people found the time to discuss this "important" topic
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA