Metal Storm logo
The First Album That You Ever Were Addicted To

Original post

Posted by Nosurper, 31.10.2012 - 16:29
I was listening to the radio while Hurricane Sandy was pummeling my area and the Monkees came on with "And I Saw Her Face" or whatever the title to that song is. It got me thinking about the very first album that I ever bought and enjoyed growing up as a youngin'. It was Astro Lounge by Smash Mouth. "When the Morning Comes" and a few others were fun songs as a young kid. Just wondering if you guys grew up on anything maybe a bit less hokey.
11.03.2013 - 20:15
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
In my mid-teens I listened to early Smashing Pumpkins... Gish and Siamese Dream.
12.03.2013 - 19:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I think it was "...And Justice For All" by Metallica. It was also my first metal album, so that explains a lot Still think it's a good album though although my tastes have changed so much since then.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.03.2013 - 04:54
helofloki
Written by Azarath on 11.03.2013 at 20:15

In my mid-teens I listened to early Smashing Pumpkins... Gish and Siamese Dream.

Same, but add melancholy too. I was mad young, like 11 or something. I remember seeing them on SNL, then seeing the video for Bullet With Butterfly Wings and then wanting everything they'd ever done.
13.03.2013 - 16:50
R Lewis
Uh, I'm pretty ashamed but I'm afraid that my first favourite album has been Green Day's American Idiot. I was eleven when I first heard it, and at that time it seemed to me really heavy stuff, without those tons of satanism which affected metal, that cursed genre.
How many days ago.

EDIT: I still like American Idiot.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
13.03.2013 - 22:13
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by helofloki on 13.03.2013 at 04:54

Same, but add melancholy too. I was mad young, like 11 or something. I remember seeing them on SNL, then seeing the video for Bullet With Butterfly Wings and then wanting everything they'd ever done.

I was familiar with some of their videos beforehand, but I remember seeing a Canadian TV special about them that got me hooked. This was pre-Adore and I went out and got all the albums. I couldn't get into Mellon Collie at the time, but the first 2 (and Pisces Iscariot) were truly albums I was addicted to.
14.03.2013 - 00:52
helofloki
Written by Azarath on 13.03.2013 at 22:13

Written by helofloki on 13.03.2013 at 04:54

I was familiar with some of their videos beforehand, but I remember seeing a Canadian TV special about them that got me hooked. This was pre-Adore and I went out and got all the albums. I couldn't get into Mellon Collie at the time, but the first 2 (and Pisces Iscariot) were truly albums I was addicted to.

Yeah, looking back I still like a lot of mellon collie, but a lot of it's really wierd. It really could have just been one CD with all the good songs. I had pretty much moved on by the time Adore came out. At that point I assumed they had broken up or something. In 2007 I saw them in philly, they played a lot of old songs it was pretty sweet. I still love their old stuff, Siamese Dream's my fav. But yeah, definitely the first time I listened to albums over and over and over again.
14.03.2013 - 18:44
Jpageforever
The first album I was ever hooked on was Mothership by Led Zeppelin
14.03.2013 - 21:39
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by helofloki on 14.03.2013 at 00:52

Yeah, looking back I still like a lot of mellon collie, but a lot of it's really wierd. It really could have just been one CD with all the good songs. I had pretty much moved on by the time Adore came out.

Not to turn this into a Pumpkins thread, but eventually I did get into Mellon Collie. For a 2-hour-long double album it's remarkably strong and consistent, and even though there are some lesser songs on there I wouldn't have a clue where to start chopping away for it to fit on one disc. Doing it to The White Album would be easy by comparison.

Siamese Dream is my favourite as well, but Mellon Collie is not far behind. And Adore is a beautiful little album.
16.04.2013 - 14:40
Rhiannon
Account deleted
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Soundtrack, back in 2001. It's a great album with a mix of electronic music, rock/metal and hiphop. I still like it today.
17.04.2013 - 13:51
Hellbrann
I started with Status Quo - Blue For You. On vinyl. Still love it.
----
Druantia | Folk metal
17.04.2013 - 14:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hellbrann on 17.04.2013 at 13:51

I started with Status Quo - Blue For You. On vinyl. Still love it.

I oon only one Status Quo album, and guess what? It is Blue For You
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.04.2013 - 22:04
Sunioj
2pac - Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z.

its still a great rap album tbh
28.04.2013 - 20:58
Sangre Sani
...And Justice For All by Metallica. Still can't live without it.
22.05.2013 - 10:20
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I must've been nine or ten years old, but my brother had bought Creed's Human Clay album, and as a fourth grader, I thought it was completely badass. I can't really enjoy anything from Creed the way I used to... Still, even today, the song "Say I" sounds pretty dark and heavy.

Not the most fantastic song in the world, but it completely blew my 4th grade mind away.
----
01.06.2013 - 20:55
Aseliot
Pff probably somekinda metallica, slayer thing. Also used to listen to rammstein, sytem of a down and whatnot. They are okay though but my taste has really changed so dramatically since 8-9 years ago
----
Anál nathrach,
orth' bháis's bethad,
do chél dénmha
18.12.2013 - 01:24
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Probably Piece of Mind by Iron Maiden, since it was my first metal album.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
18.12.2013 - 07:25
no one
Account deleted
To be honest it was probably early nofx or something, maybe even Agnostic fronts "upstart riot" around the age of 13 or 14, but on the metal side probably Mayhem's "Ordo Ad Chao" or Emperors "night side of the eclipse"
09.01.2014 - 05:09
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Slipknot - Slipknot
27.01.2014 - 09:55
Desert Father
Mine was possibly Blackwater Park. It came at a time when I was discovering metal and it was the first album to really speak to me.
----
"Truly, my child, if I were allowed to see my sins, three or four men would not be enough to weep
for them." - Abba Dioscorus
09.02.2014 - 03:04
Dr.Overkill26
I remember Listening to Judas Priest-Sad wings of Destiny as a little kid. That and Pink Floyd's Wish you were here. Don't really spin those anymore, I still like them just feel like I Have them memorized. Metallica"s first 4 were huge for me at the age of like 17-19. I still adore And Justice for all.
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
19.02.2014 - 15:09
Leni
The first favourite album was Queen - Innuendo, i was 12. and i still like it)
20.02.2014 - 14:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
The first album I ever bought: "Dance of Death" by Iron Maiden. I was 13, didn't have much money back then of course. So every album I bought for the first couple of years was like the album I had to listen to for at least a few weeks. I think my next albums were "Somewhere in Time", "Metallica", "Master of Puppets" and then I don't know. Probably "Follow the Reaper" or something like that.
----
27.05.2014 - 01:06
Dr.Overkill26
Worth mentioning that I bought Hybrid Theory back when it came out... I used to listen to that album non-stop I was definetely addicted.
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
04.07.2014 - 06:10
JayMo4
The first album in my whole life that I was addicted to was In Search of the Lost Chord by The Moody Blues. My dad used to play their stuff all the time, and that was the one that I liked the most. I'm talking five or six years old here when I started listening often.

The next time I had another album that I listened to as frequently as that wasn't until Pearl Jam's Ten which came out when I was in middle school.

The first metal album I was addicted to was Metallica's AJFA, which I didn't actually hear until after the black album came out. At the time, I hadn't really been exposed to much metal outside of a small amount of the 70's stuff, some hair bands, and the grunge stuff (if you consider that metal.) So Justice just seemed like the heaviest shit imaginable to me at the time, which of course is funny in retrospect. That said, I still think it's their best even if it is LONG overdue for a remix. I think it's funny how, with seemingly every album that was released before 2004 getting remixed and re-released these days, Metallica has never done so for AJFA even though everyone seems to want them to.
04.07.2014 - 06:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Holy shit i love the moody blues,

nights in white satin is the tits, andmelancholy man, candle of life, for my lady all great songs

sorry for off topic but ya blame that jaymo guy for bringing them up
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.07.2014 - 22:32
Stoned Crow
I was 8; Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood.
----
I'm very serious about not being serious.
08.07.2014 - 00:50
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Appetite For Destruction by Guns N Roses.

I still am.

And I have no regrets.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
17.07.2014 - 06:14
JayMo4
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.07.2014 at 06:12

Holy shit i love the moody blues,

nights in white satin is the tits, andmelancholy man, candle of life, for my lady all great songs

sorry for off topic but ya blame that jaymo guy for bringing them up

Blame away!

I don't think you can go wrong with anything between Days of Future Past and Seventh Sojourn. All seven of those albums are amazing. Then Pinder left and took his mellotron with him. They still gave us a few different songs for the next three-ish albums or so, but they lost all of that atmosphere and the sort of otherwordly feel that their older stuff had.
17.07.2014 - 09:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I have no recollection of posting that at all. Oh well.

I'm trying to remember what I was first addicted to. Probably a CD I bought with birthday money when I was a kid or something. Which, considering how old I was around the time I ever considered going out and buying a CD, was either Christina Aguilera's debut, Disturbed's debut, or Nelly's debut.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.07.2014 - 16:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I think the first album I got seriously addicted to and the one I still blast on a regular basis and know nearlyall the lyrics by heart is Acid Bath's debut.
When The Kite String Pops was THE album of my teenage years... And is probably responsible from most of my evolution in terms of music. Before that the metal I listened to was way less abrassive (Opeth was for example the most "dangerous" for me at the time). That's really when I, if I quote the first track, "jumped into the void".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.