Metal Storm logo
Beherit

19.05.2006 - 13:08
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Pretty much a legendary band amongst black metallers, due to 'Drawing Down The Moon' and 'The Oath of Black Blood' releases (but more so the former). Apparently though this band were quite hated, any insight into why would be interesting to hear.

Their early career consisted of quite nasty and raw (in a good way) sounding black metal before moving on to the midpaced, ambient fused brilliance of DDTM which truly is a groundbreaking album and a joy to listen to. After this they abandoned black metal in favour of some kind of electronic ambient hybrid which I'm not too familar with.

A very interesting band to say the least.
19.05.2006 - 13:10
Highlander
Account deleted
Their ok to me I suppose. I defo dont like much of Holocaustos "mabient" stuff.
19.05.2006 - 13:12
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Yeah, I've heard 'H418ov21.C' and it sounded like it was done on a cheap Casio
19.05.2006 - 21:17
Puff
The Forlorn
DDTM was a big masterpiece! probably in my top 3 albums of all time!

I don't have nothing bad to say about this band. I love them so much
----
19.05.2006 - 23:08
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Beherit are an aawsome band, and their so brutal, and my favorite Black Metal band, their style of music is so diffrent no one else has tried that and they started it and its awsome, i like all of their albums.
19.05.2006 - 23:52
Sinsanity
Account deleted
Pretty particular band, I think. I also heard that they were quite hated back then...My opinion is that they produced some really good Black Metal, with a very anxious atmosphere. One of my favorites is 'The Gate of Nanna', especially because of the feelings it induces...

PS: I was asking someone about the reason Beherit being hated...a few minutes ago. I quote: "Because Mika and Marko phoned Mayhem and sang children tunes and such. Also they were church of satan followers." The world of Black Metal must have been really weird in the beginning of the '90...Apparently a band caled "Fuck Beherit" existed for a while...
20.05.2006 - 01:06
Hylia
I dont understand why people would hate Beherit,they are one of my favorite bands.Oath of the Black Blood was a great album.Their vocals are very unique,I agree with Sinsanity the Gate of Nanna is also one of my favorite songs,the vocals on that song are just amazing.
20.05.2006 - 01:49
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Beherit are legends, one of my most respected bands... I discovered them through Barathrum.... "Hailstorm" had been since many years one of my top BM albums, so when I knew that it was inspired by Beherit I immediately checked them and it was amazing... I love the filthy sound and distorted vocals.

NP: Beherit - "The Oath Of Black Blood"
20.05.2006 - 04:20
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Written by [user id=4365] on 19.05.2006 at 13:08

Apparently though this band were quite hated, any insight into why would be interesting to hear.

Yeah, I was reading up about that and apparently there was even a band called "F*ck Beherit." I don't know the details of why but I can guess it's because their music is hard for some people to listen to. Anyhow, I think that Beherit is a really good band. The Oath of Black Blood is a very good album, I really like how raw and brutal it is.
20.05.2006 - 05:31
Priest Of Hex
Account deleted
Beherit are definately among a few of my favorite bands. I got hooked after the first listen of "Oath Of Black Blood". "Drawing Down The Moon" was a masterpiece album but I personally preferred "Oath Of Black Blood" and as for Beherit's later material, i really liked "Electric Doom Synthesis".
20.05.2006 - 05:49
Vakshay
Account deleted
I finally managed to acquire Drawing Down the Moon last week. A terrific album to say the least. Certain moments could be better but pieces such as 'Summerlands' and 'Unholy Pagan Fire' more than make up for it. The evil atmosphere is something Ive never heard done to such an extent by another band, and that for me is the highlight of the album.
I too am interested in some of the latter ambient/electronic albums, but for the moment that is all I have heard.
20.05.2006 - 06:04
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Beherit added a new attitude for black metal... more distorted, full of booze and alcohol, despising all that norwegian elitist bullshit... I like that.
20.05.2006 - 10:19
Zombie, M.D.
Beherit are one of my absolute favorites, they can be completely vile and savage, but also dark, brooding and evil as hell which always appealed to me. I think the Messe Des Morts EP deserves more attention, people only seem to talk about "The Oath of...." and DDTM. That is a really interesting EP, really harsh noise elements and ultra distorted vocals.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
20.05.2006 - 20:00
^Necrolust^
I agree with Zombie,Messe Des Mortes is amazing but really underrated.I admit that at first I thought their albums DDTM and TOOBB were their best works but now I'm not that sure.In MDM the vocals are amazing,raw and kinda deep at the same time.I think that Beherit's vocals are the best vocals I've ever listened in black metal.I also like Electric Doom Synthesis ,even if it's a lot different.It's dark,hypnotising..Especially the songs ''Ambush'' and ''Dead Inside''.
----
Sin my soul,blesses with fire....
20.05.2006 - 20:55
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Ah yes, Beherit. The epitome of evil, they are. Some of the sickest music to come out of the Black Metal underground. Supreme to Burzum, Mayhem, Darkthrone, and all of the other legends. I feel that even with their level of cheese, it works out perfectly in the Black Metal equation of raw production with minimalistic instrumentation.
----
The force will be with you, always.
21.05.2006 - 00:33
Daru Jericho
Didn't that 'Fuck Beherit' band have someone from Impaled Nazarene in it's lineup? I know they released 2 demos...

Also, Beherit's name means Satan in some language I have forgotten.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

21.05.2006 - 06:53
Zombie, M.D.
Written by Daru Jericho on 21.05.2006 at 00:33

Didn't that 'Fuck Beherit' band have someone from Impaled Nazarene in it's lineup?

I doubt it, Beherit and Impaled Nazarene were on good terms back then. I remember Nuclear Holocausto referring to them as their brothers.

I am also fairly sure Fuck Beherit were from Norway.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
21.05.2006 - 11:47
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Supreme band...dared to do something different, I am referring of course to their contemporaries Satyricon, Immortal, Emperor etc.etc. whom you could never put into the same category as Beherit.
I have both of their magnum opuses, Drawing Down The Moon and The Oath Of Black Blood, and both are incredible. At first I had difficulty getting into them, but i got used to them and could truly appreciate their music. I also like their ambient albums.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
18.06.2006 - 03:15
pox
Account deleted
Beherit were great of course, but don't forget that they started out on the demos and The Oath as complete Blasphemy worship... he just went nuts with the intros
18.06.2006 - 07:17
Dormant Misery
Account deleted
Drawing Down the Moon made a massive impact on me, and changed my perception of how Black Metal should sound. It has the most evil atmosphere, without resorting to a totally thin sound, as with the majority of Norweigan bands. The Oath of Black Blood is also great. Dirty, ugly mean, aggressive. Metal of Death!
17.08.2006 - 15:31
Vintervarg
Account deleted
I agree with everything Dormant Misery said. The Beherit atmosphere can really blow your mind. That makes Beherit one of my favorite bands.

Because I'm fan of ambient music too, I love the ambient work of Beherit.
18.08.2006 - 21:47
Daru Jericho
And the atmosphere in their music sounds great against those spooky vocals.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

19.08.2006 - 03:32
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Yesterday I bought an old split demo tape of Beherit and some Chilean Black/Death act called Death Yell, released in 1992... freakin' awesome shit by side of both bands.
19.08.2006 - 05:35
Vintervarg
Account deleted
WOW! Where did you get it, Streetcleaner? If some distro has more copies, I'm interested to obtain one.
19.08.2006 - 11:04
destroyah
supercharger
Elite
Written by ^Necrolust^ on 20.05.2006 at 20:00

I agree with Zombie,Messe Des Mortes is amazing but really underrated.

Indeed, I renmember 'Satanic Chaos' was scary as fuck! Love it 8)

EDIT: That brought to my mind: I saw a local semi-ambient band here a couple of weeks ago, Morgue's Last Choice. Although the setlist at that gig was a bit of a letdown in the sense of variety, there were some Beherit influences there. Neat.
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
19.08.2006 - 12:41
Thormier
Account deleted
Ever since i bought DDTM iv been in my own black metal void
20.08.2006 - 02:30
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Written by [user id=13985] on 19.08.2006 at 05:35

WOW! Where did you get it, Streetcleaner? If some distro has more copies, I'm interested to obtain one.

Well, I found it at a local Metal store in Santiago downtown
20.08.2006 - 12:45
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Hylia on 20.05.2006 at 01:06

I dont understand why people would hate Beherit,they are one of my favorite bands.Oath of the Black Blood was a great album.Their vocals are very unique,I agree with Sinsanity the Gate of Nanna is also one of my favorite songs,the vocals on that song are just amazing.

I definitely agree. But I guess it could be cause of the brutal sound of their music. I would actually label them as Brutal Black Metal. Well they could be hated due to the extreme religious beliefs which are portrayed by this band both in lyrics and image (but many bands are like that so I doubt this is the reason)..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
20.08.2006 - 20:08
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Himann on 20.08.2006 at 12:45

I definitely agree. But I guess it could be cause of the brutal sound of their music. I would actually label them as Brutal Black Metal. Well they could be hated due to the extreme religious beliefs which are portrayed by this band both in lyrics and image (but many bands are like that so I doubt this is the reason)..

I never took Beherit as really serious in their "message" if they even have one. I think they are just being evil for the sake of being as evil as fuck.
----
The force will be with you, always.
21.08.2006 - 00:10
Streetcleaner
Account deleted

People would hate Beherit because they were probably the only band at the early 90s that dare to use elements totally banned from "true" BM, like electronic bases and distorted vocals.