Metal Storm logo
Awards Voting Now Closed

So February has come and gone, as did, undoubtedly, several of our voters.

Alt Metal, Death, Folk/Pagan, Gothic, Melodeath, Melodic Black, Power, Prog, and Thrash all exceeded 1,000 votes.

We had our share of the usual Big Band Beat Downs where the winner was a foregone conclusion about six minutes into voting? Saturnus, Be'lakor, and Enslaved pummeled the opposition, Meshuggah received almost 60% of the vote in Djent with over 500 while no one else came close to cracking the century mark, and Gojira racked up almost as many votes as the entire Stoner/Sludge field?

We also had perhaps our tightest race yet, with Neurosis and Atoma changing pole position repeatedly, and only a two vote gap between 'em as I started typing this a couple hours before votes close.

Wintersun almost pulled the dubious double, winning "Biggest Surprise" (most likely because the album was actually released? certainly not what the album sounded like), and were spared another win in the "Biggest Letdown" category only because the unsung heroes of Ensiferum managed to disappoint more of their fans.

Congrats to Atoma and Immensity, best debut and best Clandestine Cut, respectively, for leading a promising pack of bands. Metal's future is bright indeed.

All the results can now be viewed on the Awards Main Page.

We also had a wide variety of responses from bands upon being notified of their nomination.

Evoken

Quote:

If you have a moment, the staff over at Metal Storm have included Evoken- "Atra Mors" among the albums for best extreme doom album of 2012. All one has to do is vote. Don't believe it's there for album of 2012, but for extreme doom, which is an honor either way. So, have a vote if you wish, if not that's fine too. At least it's not worst album of 2012.

(Not even close to worst of 2012, guys!)

Aura Noir:

Quote:

Hi man. It's very nice to be nominated but it stops there for us. We don't feel good about bitching people with"please vote for us!!!" two times a day..haha..But cheers!

(Respect the lack of spam.)

Lurk

Quote:

LURK's s/t is nominated for the Best Sludge / Stoner Album of 2012 on Metalstorm.net and also in competition for the Best Debut. If you hate the world, you will give us your vote.

(Guess that argument makes casting your vote a no-brainer!)

To the extremely humble:

Verwüstung

Quote:

You can vote for my dumb album here or one of the many better releases on this list.

Carach Angren even used social media to encourage their fans to write them in in the open "Best Video" category.

And the WINNER of the Most Effort By A Band To Win The MSAs goes to..... Lumus, who not only put a big Metalstorm banner on their facebook page cover photo in place of usual fractals or landscapes, they also took the time to record a "how to vote" and popped it up on youtube:

And, finally, congrats to all of the bands that were nominated, whether by MS staff or written in, as well as the fans who took the time to check out the lesser-known acts to see what the excitement was about.

After all the fans finding new bands and bands gaining new fans are the real winners.

\m/
Posted: 01.03.2013 by BitterCOld

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 78   Visited by: 761 users
01.03.2013 - 12:11
IronAngel
I voted for A Forest of Stars and Converge, so at least I didn't get it all wrong! Very few of my other votes came even close, though. I would be curious to find out who these people are who vote for the obvious winners.
01.03.2013 - 12:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Agreed about Ahab as well. In fact I would have liked to have seen it go in the post metal cat so the Extreme Doom cat could have had a proper competition between great albums. I like that Ahab album far more as a post metal album as I do an extreme doom one (which it clearly isn't).
01.03.2013 - 12:41
Rhiannon
Account deleted
No surprises in any of the catogories I voted in. Although I was kinda missing 'Epica - Storm The Sorrow' from the best videos.
01.03.2013 - 12:49
Zap
Written by Susan on 01.03.2013 at 06:41

Dude, same here!! They did well but that is really high quality music that could really have won.

Debut was an especially tough category but... still!!!

Yeah, there were a lot of awesome debut albums this year, though Wilderun was definitely my favorite

In the folk category I loved Dordeduh too, and they got second place, which is really good for a debut album I suppose

Written by Skyum on 01.03.2013 at 07:54

Am I the only one who doesn't hate the new Ensiferum?

Nope, I liked it. It wasn't as great as any other Ensiferum album, but it wasn't as big a disappointment for me as for everyone else

Written by Unhealer on 01.03.2013 at 00:35

Saddest part for me was probably how everyone just went for Meshuggah in the Math category, but it's a good album anyway.

I'm not a big fan of the genre, but I listened to all the nominees and I voted for Origins
01.03.2013 - 12:58
Kamil
Account deleted
Lets return for a moment to some old discussion about new Kreator album and my comment:
http://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=16453

I won
01.03.2013 - 13:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 01.03.2013 at 12:14
Agreed about Ahab as well. In fact I would have liked to have seen it go in the post metal cat so the Extreme Doom cat could have had a proper competition between great albums. I like that Ahab album far more as a post metal album as I do an extreme doom one (which it clearly isn't).

I was probably late on that discussion... If Ahab releases an album in the same vein I will definitely state my opinion of them going to post.
I voted for Elysian Blaze in the end, such a colossal beast. My other favorites were Alkerdeel and the Monolithe EP and it makes me sad to see them waaay low on the list. At least Elysian Blaze did quite good.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2013 - 14:01
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
C'mon Staff, you let Wintersun win an award. I thought you guys were supposed to be biased.
(goes back to sulking over avant-garde results)
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.03.2013 - 14:15
Abattoir
Staff
Written by M C Vice on 01.03.2013 at 14:01

C'mon Staff, you let Wintersun win an award. I thought you guys were supposed to be biased.

This wasn't realy in our hands, while it was a write-in option.

However it would be quite strange to see, that they've almost won the biggest surprise and letdown award simultaneously
01.03.2013 - 14:25
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Abattoir on 01.03.2013 at 14:15

This wasn't realy in our hands, while it was a write-in option.

However it would be quite strange to see, that they've almost won the biggest surprise and letdown award simultaneously

Hey, Nightwish succeded with that, so it could happen again. But surely if you were as biases as Italics claimed then some votes could have gotten "lost"?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.03.2013 - 14:32
Ivor
Staff

Strictly speaking this album has already "won" twice without even being released - Biggest Letdown of 2010 and 2009. No other album has ever won anything before being released.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on M
01.03.2013 - 16:04
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Disappointed with the gothic category, both Moonspell's and Paradise Lost's releases were better than katatonia's IMO.
01.03.2013 - 16:06
theFIST
Written by Ivor on 01.03.2013 at 14:32

Strictly speaking this album has already "won" twice without even being released - Biggest Letdown of 2010 and 2009. No other album has ever won anything before being released.

I.

Let"s see how often the other halftime wins that category before getting released
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
01.03.2013 - 16:09
Reaper_Redeemer
The giant > atra mors

WHY????????????:kopkop:
01.03.2013 - 16:34
Druss
Got three right (Gojira, BaN and Saturnus) and a few of my votes came in second and third place in their respective category, which is nice. But like has been said, found a ridicolous amount of new material to listen to this past month, the whole of which will probably take another month for me to decide just how much each individual album will fare for my ears in the month coming, so thanks for that, Staff and Elites

My only bitching comes in the Sludge / Stoner and Extreme Doom Metal cats, Ahab? Like BitterCOld wrote, just another ''Big Band Beatdown'', but damn that's disappointing, I'd've voted at least 5 other albums ahead of it... and my bitching as far as S / Stoner goes is that Lurk was very, very far down the list indeed, expected just a little more love than that. Not for them to win of course, but just to have gotten a few more votes than that. Ah well.

Also, I meant to ask this question during the Awards, but nows as good a time as any I guess, if any Staff/Elites/more knowledgable users can lemme know, why in the last two years (as far back as my experience with the site goes) have sludge and stoner been put together into a single Award? I'm aware that a good many sludge albums have elements of stoner metal and vice versa, but like some of the decision making to put x band in y category this year, I'd've thought that they could be seperated... not bitchin', I was just always curious as to what the thought process was behind it, if someone could educate a nooby like myself.
01.03.2013 - 17:03
Ivor
Staff
Written by theFIST on 01.03.2013 at 16:06

Let"s see how often the other halftime wins that category before getting released

You say it as if you fancy a wager. Well, I'm guessing that if the release date gets pushed back into 2016 it'll win MSA 2015 let down, unless Metallica comes up with a turd as bad as Lulu.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on M
01.03.2013 - 17:33
demonsarising
It's always fascinating to see the massive discrepancy between the Djent community and the metal community at-large when it comes to djent. Meshuggah got fifth place in the got-djent awards (community voted) and was not considered Meshuggah's best work. I found the songs to be awfully repetitive at best, and many of the songs just sound about the same, with monotonous albeit crushing riffs. Many of the other offerings in the category did a much better job of yanking my feelings or grabbing me by the seat of my pants. Last year, somebody said (wrongly) that "Djent is just trying to be like meshuggah, so the band that's most like meshuggah should win" or something along those lines. The best djent is that which deviates from the swedish behemoths, and creates something wholly new within the genre. Ah well, some awesome stuff coming up in 2013, can't wait to see what gets nominated then.
01.03.2013 - 18:27
Justicelust
Thanks to Metal Storm I found many great bands in the nominees, like Sunpocrisy, Fever Sea, Schematics For Gravity, Obsidian Kingdom, Wilds Forlorn, Minority Sound, The Howling Void, Bend The Sky, Elysian, Cloudkicker, Seven kingdoms, Iron Fire, and Leah. I really enjoyed them.
I voted in all the categories except Grindcore, which is a shitty genre, but I only got Atoma in the debut albums and Katatonia right, and Ensiferum in the biggest letdown.
But why on earth Eluveitie won? Eluveitie should not have been nominated at all. another disappointment for me is wining Meshugah, Bend The Sky deserved to win they are really talented. why the famous bands should always win?!!!! damn it.
I am very happy for Atoma winning in the Post Metal Category as well, though I voted for Sunpocrisy
And the toughest Category for me was Melodeath, Metalgaze, and Extreme Doom, I really didn't know which albums to vote for.
01.03.2013 - 18:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I find it amusing when people bitch about album classifications when albums they don't like do well, but not about albums they do like that don't belong.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.03.2013 - 18:36
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I was wondering why we stopped having staff picks for each category?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
01.03.2013 - 18:39
In Bone Factory
Written by Baz Anderson on 01.03.2013 at 10:23

Nice to see Orden Ogan came third in Power metal... one of my picks of the year.
They are great. I voted for them too
----
The End Is Nigh ...
01.03.2013 - 19:18
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 01.03.2013 at 18:36

We haven't, the Staff MSA results just haven't been posted yet.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

01.03.2013 - 19:45
Little Shark
I signed up in order to participate in the voting - during the process of registering the voting closed

At least now I'm ready for 2013.
01.03.2013 - 20:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 01.03.2013 at 18:30

I find it amusing when people bitch about album classifications when albums they don't like do well, but not about albums they do like that don't belong.

I find self-fulfilling prophecies amusing. Until now this comment was the only "bitching" I've seen in this thread.
02.03.2013 - 00:21
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Haha Lumus, good effort but they never stood a chance against Xandria.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
02.03.2013 - 00:40
Czerny Reiter
Folk, Alternative, Extreme Doom and Djent were the categories with altogether unpalatable (if unsurprising) winners this year. Still, the year turned out to be a wellspring of good extremophile-friendly music, looking through the candidates once more.
02.03.2013 - 02:59
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by psykometal on 01.03.2013 at 19:18

Ok, actually what I meant was that it would be great to see those badges on album, which got the staff pick.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

02.03.2013 - 04:34
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 02.03.2013 at 02:59

Ok, actually what I meant was that it would be great to see those badges on album, which got the staff pick.

we will do that... in time
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.03.2013 - 08:01
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Darkside Momo on 02.03.2013 at 04:34

Written by K✞ulu on 02.03.2013 at 02:59

we will do that... in time

Ok, I just that was not done in the last two years, if I am not mistaken.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

02.03.2013 - 16:32
In Bone Factory
Finsterforst was worthy to win the best folk award
----
The End Is Nigh ...
02.03.2013 - 17:50
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by In Bone Factory on 02.03.2013 at 16:32

Finsterforst was worthy to win the best folk award

Honestly? wasn't half as best as "Helvetios". "Rastlos" sounds stripped off version of Moonsorrow and were damn plain and decent. Well, they still manage to get away with 8.2 ratings, which isn't bad at all. But, got significantly screwed up in galloping 414 votes ripping against 123 which is close to 70% on-the-fucking-face defeat.

Hits total: 6682 | This month: 10