Metal Storm logo
How many metalheads are there on earth?

31.10.2013 - 13:26
Grey Wind
While going through some metal tunes on youtube I suddenly had this funny question pop up in my head - "How many metalheads are there on earth?" and I thought it might be intriguing for you guys too.What happend is I checked a video of a certain band and it had 22,000 views. And it made me wonder, does that number somehow represent the number of fans this band has? The logical notion is - no , obviously - Because a single person can create 1000 views just by himself..so that number really doesn't help us. Am I right? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Anyway, the number does create a certain vibe. Some kind of assumption, and since no one can answer my question with perfect calculation, you can only achieve some kind of logical assumption. For example, we can look at the number of people attending festivals like Wacken. But still that calculation won't be so good. Just consider the amount of metalheads in third world countries in asia who have no money\option for these kind of trips. Or the age groups who just usually don't go to festivals.

Personally, my notion is that the community is much smaller than the vibe it creates.

Another example - Consider the huge(really huge) amount of news about the gay\lesbian demographic(especially in the US media).
But how many gay\lesbian people are in society? from my google search, less than 10%, and in some countries as low as 1% (!).
Isn't that interesting? but that's another topic. What I wanted to say is that It's really hard to get a good guess at how many metalheads are worldwide.
The worldwide metal community is very loud and when you look at it from inside, it feels like there are tons of us..but if we look at it from the outside? hmmmm : what are your thoughts !?
----
wimps and posers leave the hall lol
31.10.2013 - 14:44
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Quote:
The worldwide metal community is very loud

no it is not always loud, there is actually a portion of this population which is quite silent , especially in those places that people are obliged to somewhat hide their taste of music.
----
The Fangirl.
31.10.2013 - 16:34
Lit.
Account deleted
I don't know. Some big-ass number.
31.10.2013 - 22:58
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Wont exceed a couple of millions I guess.
01.11.2013 - 08:10
And I guess it also depends where the line goes when you can be count as a metalhead. Occasionally listening to Metallica and Nightwish, but that's it, are you a metalhead then? When the main style of music you're listening to is metal, are you a metalhead then? When you only listen to Brutal Death and Funeral Doom? Where is the line drawn?
----
"Everything will be ok
I'll just sit down and watch some bullshit"
-Acrania
01.11.2013 - 10:54
Grey Wind
Written by God of shadows on 01.11.2013 at 08:10

And I guess it also depends where the line goes when you can be count as a metalhead. Occasionally listening to Metallica and Nightwish, but that's it, are you a metalhead then? When the main style of music you're listening to is metal, are you a metalhead then? When you only listen to Brutal Death and Funeral Doom? Where is the line drawn?

That's a really good point. Not an easy question! Hmm.
My best idea for now is maybe to count in 3 category like: hardcore, light, and subgenre-focused,
In the "hardcore" category type we'll have people who know a lot about the community, and enjoy many bands in multiple genres.
In the "light" category, we'll have people who enjoy a few bands, maybe 10, or more?, in 1-5 genres. But they identify as metalheads.
and the "subgenre-focused" category is about people who listen to many bands but only in one subgenre (like in your second example).

The one important thing in all categories is the person must identify himself as a metalhead, or else we can't count him ! I think that's obvious !:)

I think that covers pretty much everyone. You can count all of these people as metalheads.
the people we don't count are those who only like two bands like in your first example. : They also probably don't identify as metalheads, so they can't be counted.

Well that's just one idea, if you guys have a different one say it !
----
01.11.2013 - 17:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hard to tell, true old school metalheads who dress metal, live smetal, breaths metal are not so many , more we have ''heavy music listeners'' those are many because some ppl listen metal at some period of life and then no, those are heavy music listenenres, but metaheads are in metal whole life, like Marcel for example :p so I would say metalheads are 10% of population
and it is rising in islam world, africa and world where still idea of rebelion works, as crush the tyrany and systgen, in europe all has fallen, in non europe metal also is rebelion symbolism
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.11.2013 - 18:02
BreadGod
Account deleted
I assume metalheads comprise one percent of the population, so I guess there are a couple million all around the world.
01.11.2013 - 19:16
Grey Wind
Written by Guest on 01.11.2013 at 18:02

I assume metalheads comprise one percent of the population, so I guess there are a couple million all around the world.

1 precent of the world is 70 million people, an interesting guess but I'm not sure about it
----
01.11.2013 - 21:32
no one
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 01.11.2013 at 17:04

Hard to tell, true old school metalheads who dress metal, live smetal, breaths metal are not so many , more we have ''heavy music listeners'' those are many because some ppl listen metal at some period of life and then no, those are heavy music listenenres, but metaheads are in metal whole life, like Marcel for example :p so I would say metalheads are 10% of population
and it is rising in islam world, africa and world where still idea of rebelion works, as crush the tyrany and systgen, in europe all has fallen, in non europe metal also is rebelion symbolism

You can still become a metalhead without having listened to it your whole life.
I could have become a metal head when i was younger if i knew of the music i know now...not that i consider myself a metalhead now
01.11.2013 - 21:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 01.11.2013 at 21:32

I could have become a metal head when i was younger if i knew of the music i know now...not that i consider myself a metalhead now

metalhead is at time when he/she listens metal, if not then he/she is not
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.11.2013 - 22:26
Lethrokai
With questions like this, it's just for the best that we leave the answer as simply "a lot."
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
01.11.2013 - 22:45
3rdWorld
China was a neat
I think atleast all of the people I've met and known in my lifetime (atleast some 500+), I don't think there are even 10 metalheads. Back in my hometown where there is absolutely little or no heavy music penetration in the public media, people do consider rock to be a weird genre and 95 out of 100 people HATE it.

But wait, I haven't clearly met a single metalhead in my life. So take my census of metalheads in India, 0 for 500. You need to go to a bigger number to get a 1.
01.11.2013 - 22:51
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Bad English on 01.11.2013 at 21:48

Written by Guest on 01.11.2013 at 21:32

metalhead is at time when he/she listens metal, if not then he/she is not

True metalheads stay converted, even though there may be long period of time when we don't listen to any new or any metal at all one never loses the.... taste for the genre I guess. Then surely he is a metalhead.
02.11.2013 - 05:43
no one
Account deleted
Written by Lethrokai on 01.11.2013 at 22:26

With questions like this, it's just for the best that we leave the answer as simply "a lot."

i know, and then i ask the simple question "where to get metal t shirts" and get no reply's . I suppose good sophisticated questions like this one are just so much more interesting
02.11.2013 - 07:29
Lethrokai
Written by Guest on 02.11.2013 at 05:43

Written by Lethrokai on 01.11.2013 at 22:26

i know, and then i ask the simple question "where to get metal t shirts" and get no reply's . I suppose good sophisticated questions like this one are just so much more interesting

Heh, could be that no one knows. I sure as hell don't!
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
05.11.2013 - 10:39
akvan
These days something is annoying me,sth which meke me hate metal,metal culture and metalheads,at least in my country,large number of metalheads,bands and albums,with colorful labels,expensive guitars and popular artist and of course reach,long ago metal was different,deep meanings for special ones,today is just for poser guys which hate everything and for feeding their dark lives
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
05.10.2014 - 07:40
TheMarkedOne
Account deleted
Here in Paraguay, the few metalheads there are some damn selfish, they only listen mainstream bands. No fucking companionship, even more where I live. Now, in Norway or Sweden, is another story, lol, is another world.

If you want to get an idea of ​​the amount of metalheads in the world, look at the average attendance at the biggest metal festivals in the world including Rock Am Ring or Waken, you will draw a smile

Greetings.
05.10.2014 - 07:56
Ganondox
Written by 3rdWorld on 31.10.2013 at 22:58

Wont exceed a couple of millions I guess.

Considering some metal albums sell several million, there would have to be more than that, if everyone who listens to those albums are considered metalheads.
05.10.2014 - 09:02
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Well, lets see. (starts counting) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
30.10.2014 - 23:50
toxicinsult
While I cannot even begin to answer the initial question, I believe it's safe to assume everyone on this forum post is a Matealhead. With that said . . .

Beginning November 11th, METALROCK Films' documentary Inside Metal: The Pioneers of L.A. Hard Rock and Metal will be playing at select theaters throughout the United States and Austria. However, there will be a special sneak preview November 6th at The Attic in Hollywood. The event begins at 6:00 PM and is $15 advance and $20 at the door. Metal fans do not want to miss out on seeing this film! Show times, theater locations and ticket purchases can be found through METALROCK Films' official website here at: bit.ly/InsideMetalTickets.

INSIDE METAL delivers quintessential candid interviews with metal icons and the pivotal players in the music business including musicians, managers, concert promoters and the utmost devoted practitioners. INSIDE METAL is about giving fans the real inside story from the behind the scenes world of metal and hard rock with in-depth interviews, ultra-rare concert footage and photographs, and an original music score from that era; in this no-holds-barred, never before seen, recollection of untold stories.

The documentary is getting rave reviews from viewers and artists in the industry. Blasko, the bassist for Ozzy Osbourne stated he "?didn't know much about this era of the rock scene in LA as I was too young to experience it. Inside Metal was a fun and informative look into the foundation of the LA Metal scene." Madonna's guitarist Monte Pittman said the documentary was "?like a college course in music history."

Get your tickets to the movie in your local theater at: www.MetalRockFilms.com.

Rock on and I'll see ya there
30.10.2014 - 23:59
Ilham
Giant robot

Nice try.
31.10.2014 - 01:02
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
But one thing he got right: We're all Matealheads here.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
31.10.2014 - 05:44
no one
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 31.10.2014 at 01:02

but are we? it depends on what you define as a metalhead

31.10.2014 - 10:19
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
We could easily find out. Just need to raise enough money to build a giant magnet on the moon.
----
31.10.2014 - 15:45
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 31.10.2014 at 05:44

Written by Karlabos on 31.10.2014 at 01:02

but are we? it depends on what you define as a metalhead

It was just a reference to his typo
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
31.10.2014 - 21:06
no one
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 31.10.2014 at 15:45

It was just a reference to his typo

oh.....you actually read it
31.10.2014 - 21:08
no one
Account deleted
Written by M C Vice on 31.10.2014 at 10:19

We could easily find out. Just need to raise enough money to build a giant magnet on the moon.

clever
31.10.2014 - 21:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

What about all the non-ferrous metalheads, it wouldn't work on them
01.11.2014 - 02:03
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Guest on 31.10.2014 at 21:14

What about all the non-ferrous metalheads, it wouldn't work on them

They're not true enough. Just a bunch of posers.
----