Metal Storm logo
Wanna buy my first guitar, help!

10.02.2014 - 21:13
MetalAce
The Eternal
Hey guys! Is there everyone who would help me? I want to buy a guitar, around 200-350 $. Actually, I will perform as a rhythm guitar in my band. I read about some Cort and Ibanez guitars, specially EVL Z4 & Z6. Any other suggestions? And also recommend me some good amps.
11.02.2014 - 18:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by MetalAce on 10.02.2014 at 21:13

Hey guys! Is there everyone who would help me? I want to buy a guitar, around 200-350 $. Actually, I will perform as a rhythm guitar in my band. I read about some Cort and Ibanez guitars, specially EVL Z4 & Z6. Any other suggestions? And also recommend me some good amps.

I'd look into Ibamez RG models. Try to find one with humbuckers and a fixed bridge. As for amps, you're not going to find anything decent with a $200-350 total budget. Especially not something loud enough to play in a band with.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-gs121-electric-guitar

This looks decent for $250.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
11.02.2014 - 20:26
MetalAce
The Eternal
Written by Boxcar Willy on 11.02.2014 at 18:17

As for amps, you're not going to find anything decent with a $200-350 total budget. Especially not something loud enough to play in a band with.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-gs121-electric-guitar

This looks decent for $250.

I'm not going to buy from internet. Finding an original Ibanez here is impossible. I can't spend over 400 $, so I'm looking for a cheap one.
11.02.2014 - 20:36
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by MetalAce on 11.02.2014 at 20:26

I'm not going to buy from internet. Finding an original Ibanez here is impossible. I can't spend over 400 $, so I'm looking for a cheap one.

Well then you're pretty much shit out of luck. Without spending money you're not going to get a quality instrument, which will then end up costing you more in the end. Make the investment.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.02.2014 - 05:48
MetalAce
The Eternal
Quote:
Without spending money you're not going to get a quality instrument, which will then end up costing you more in the end.

Talking about quality here is a mistake, coz the markets won't tell you the thruth. And, if I'm looking for a good one, I'll need 800 indeed! The seller is the one who decides the price, not brand name and etc.
15.04.2014 - 22:08
The Evergreen
One: never fall into the trap of needing factory new gear. Currently, all my guitars and amps that I didn't make myself are used. I got my amp for 110 because of a broken handle (Crate Flexwave if you must know) and I got my Yamaha 604 for 220. Both are fantastic.

Two: never be a brand snob until you can afford it. Like Ibanez? Awesome, me too, have gear from them and like it (though my sister had an RG that was garbage). But what if you can't find one? I wanted a Yamaha 604 or Gibson SG for my first, but nobody had any that I could afford. I ended up with a Peavey T60 that's older than I am... And now that I have tried those others, I can tell you that my Peavey is better. Find something, pick it up, and play it. You never know what you'll find. I've played Squiers (though not many) that were awesome. I've also played costly Fenders and even Gibsons that were just not that great... And that's why you're wise to stay off the net.

Three: never be a "quality" snob until you can afford it. Plus, I actually take issue with the statement that good gear must cost much money. That old Peavey of mine stands toe to toe with 3000 dollar Gibsons. It cost me 200 bucks. That guitar in my profile PIC was a cheap Peavey Raptor. The equal of a Gibson? Not even close, but it was a damn good guitar. I still use the neck. Good will not cost 50 bucks but it not out of reach on you budget.

What you need to do is get out there and try stuff, preferably with an experienced person.
You need a guitar that holds tune, has a good neck, and has quiet electronics.
For an amp, it needs first to be quiet. No buzzes or hum, just signal. After that, needs a good sound and then the volume you need. Oh, and be sure to at minimum one twelve inch speaker. An amp needs to be physically large enough to get the punch you need to play over drums. 65 watts from one 12" should do it. Ideally, you'd get a head and cab, but that ain't happening on your budget, but a decent amp does not need to cost a ton.

If you want specific recommendations, I'd browse harmony central for a while. I could fill a book with good gear i've tried, but how does that help you?
Better yet, try some stuff, then read up on what you liked.
06.10.2014 - 22:26
MetalAce
The Eternal
Yep, thanks bro, but great problems in my country are:
1)There is NO experienced guitarist within 20 miles!
2)I've seen many unnamed (actually the salesperson didn't know the factory's name) guitars, almost all with humbuckers, but a strat look! And when I asked for more informations, they said it's just a good guitar.
3)All prices are 3 times highter.(An Ibanez GR may cost equal to350-400 $)
note: This is one of the main reasons that Iran doesn't have alot of bands.
Forget the budget, which guitar is good enough to begin?
05.11.2014 - 03:17
SSM
Massacred

I started to write an answer, but then I just realized you're from Iran too. And then I just hold the "backspace" button, unfortunately!
I don't recommend cheap Cort guitars. Ibanez is the way to go if you want to go cheap (in Iran). I'm not sure which city you want to buy your guitar from, but the choices are limited almost in most of the cities, so the best way to buy a guitar here is to exactly know what you want (which is the not the case), so your second best option is to explore all the music stores you can find and find out which guitars they have that you can buy and then come home and do research on them online or ask on various sites and forums.

About the amp: If you want to go cheap, I'd recommend Roland Cube 15XL or even Line6 Spider IV. They're good for their price comparing to cheap Marshalls for example.

A little advice: don't buy a package that comes with an amp! Don't buy packaged guitars in general.

On a side note, you can send me a message and maybe I can help, if you want to buy in my city.