Metal Storm logo
Best out of these "atmospheric" Black Metal Bands

Original post

Posted by Ealdamir, 17.01.2007 - 22:06
Well, fo rmy choice, 2 weeks ago i would go for Xasthur oe for Weakling since "Dead As Dreams" was one of a kind. But then I discovered Wolves In the Throne Room and their first full-length "Diadem of 12 Stars" really took me by surprise and has been ever-present in my cd-player. A really haunting and ethereal album full of melodies and a special feelin.Seems like they totally put their lifestyle into their music.
Drudkh is a band I also love and especially "Autumn Aurora" and secondly "The Swan Road"
Leviathan and Blut Aus Nord are also good.

Maybe i should have more bands but i am not that informed on the genre so there is the other option.
And i didn't forget Burzum as some might say-it just didn't fit in this poll(except from dominating immediately). (sorry if there is a similar poll but i couldn't find)

Poll

Wich one do you like the most?

other (similar in style)
Drudkh
Wolves In the Throne Room
Xasthur
Blut Aus Nord
Leviathan
Weakling
Nortt

Total votes: 166
26.02.2008 - 01:16
ß
Problem?
I voted Drudkh mainly because they were they only band iv'e heard of besides Xasthur and Blut Aus Nord.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
26.02.2008 - 05:42
NOИ
I prefer Lurker of Chalice but you dont have them in the poll so I will say Xasthur.
25.04.2008 - 12:49
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
i like nortt cause its more like doom !
25.04.2008 - 16:39
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
since theres no Burzum.. i choose Xasthur.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
27.04.2008 - 00:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Drudkh is my favorite from the list, mostly because of Autumn Aurora. Summoning The Rain/Glare Of Autumn is one of my favorite songs in general - it makes me so happy Wyrd or Wolves in the Throne Room (yay for local bands tbh) would be my second choice.
27.04.2008 - 16:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I vote for Xasthur.
The vocals are one of the best I've heard in the genre.
the atmosphere can be boring sometimes.. that's why I listen to Xasthur only when I'm in the mood, that's why I really like it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.04.2008 - 16:42
Leading The Rats
Account deleted
Written by ß on 26.02.2008 at 01:16

I voted Drudkh mainly because they were they only band iv'e heard of besides Xasthur and Blut Aus Nord.

that's an perfect reason to not vote at all, why do you vote in a thread where you only know a couple of bands from the entire list? my vote went to "other" because of Nyktalgia.
28.04.2008 - 18:23
Sunioj
From this list, Leviathan. Xasthur has one or two good records I guess, but their latest album was pure crap. I don't remember what Weakling sounds like, Drudkh has some good songs as well, Nortt's Gudsforladt is a pretty ok album, not my thing though. Other than that, I never thought much of Blut Aus Nord or WITTR.
29.04.2008 - 03:45
ß
Problem?
Quote:
Quote:

that's an perfect reason to not vote at all, why do you vote in a thread where you only know a couple of bands from the entire list? my vote went to "other" because of Nyktalgia.

Since I last replied to this topic iv'e gotten around to checking out all the bands. After listening to them my vote still goes to Drudkh
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
29.04.2008 - 05:32
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I hate the fuckheads that shit on polls because their favourite band isn't there, but it's pretty strange to see a poll about "atmospheric" black metal without velvet cacoon. Anyway, from that poll, my vote would go for Weakling for sure.
10.05.2008 - 05:41
carlithrashinmad
Account deleted
I was hoping to see Covenant here, its actually the only atmospheric band I know (I am not sure if they are...hell with this thing about labeling haha)....Nexus Polaris is a great album!
10.05.2008 - 10:56
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
what about Emperor?
----
Coldgrits
10.05.2008 - 12:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by -DC-002- on 10.05.2008 at 10:56

what about Emperor?

I agree good band and atmosfereic too, realy awsome
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.05.2008 - 13:31
Nox Lux
codebreaker
How dare you do this to me. I can't vote. Between WITTR, Xasthur, Blut Aus Nord, Drudkh? Are you trying to give me a heart attack?

I will however say that Krohm should have been added, and that the Xasthur/Nortt Split is a newer discovery for me, which I'm impressed with. Nortt I've always liked for the past couple of years, but I actually prefer the Xasthur side on that Split, and prefer Blut Aus Nord to Nortt [when it comes to that doomy feel]. That is to say that if I had to choose between Nortt and Xasthur I would probably all in all choose Xasthur.

That narrows it down to Drudkh, WITTR ['The Cleansing' is such a fvcking album-seller], Xasthur and Blut Aus Nord, but not in a hierarchical order. If I try to narrow down further than that I cannot really choose definively, tbh.

----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
11.05.2008 - 11:09
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
I voted for other because it is impossible to make any kind of black metal poll without including Burzum.
11.05.2008 - 11:25
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Metalhead2 on 11.05.2008 at 11:09

I voted for other because it is impossible to make any kind of black metal poll without including Burzum.

lol..

the thread question is really stupid, though. he says which one THESE atmospheric bands are your favorites. then he puts other as an option.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
11.05.2008 - 11:40
Nox Lux
codebreaker
He puts 'other' so that people will take the initiative to tell people what band they think rivals the rest, without them necessarily having to forgo a vote. It makes perfect sense. And also, what other word can he possibly use other than 'these'?

In case you're thinking I personally contradicted this by forgoing a vote - I didn't choose other, it's because I don't necessarily consider Krohm to be the best, I just thought they should have been added.

For those of you questioning why additions such as Burzum and Emperor weren't made, you haven't grasped the common nature between the bands that have been listed. The specification was not spot on, but to be fair it's hard to articulate what it is that these bands have in common, just that it's there, and it seems to mainly be the atmosphere - i.e it doesn't have anything to do with the period they came out or the sub-genre they're in, because they belong to different ones but still have a common factor between them.

Sometimes people can't just put up a poll without bitches, can they Ealdamir...

----

~ Nox Lux
11.05.2008 - 19:00
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Nox Lux on 11.05.2008 at 11:40

He puts 'other' so that people will take the initiative to tell people what band they think rivals the rest, without them necessarily having to forgo a vote. It makes perfect sense. And also, what other word can he possibly use other than 'these'?

the thread title is Best out of these "atmospheric" Black Metal Bands. therefor, the poll is about these bands, and these bands alone. he doesn't care about others.

now, if he would have written best atmospheric black metal bands, omitting the 'these' then the 'other' option makes sense.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.05.2008 - 04:04
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Fine, I get what you're saying...but do we have to spall follicles? Anyway, I suppose I did ask....
----

~ Nox Lux
28.06.2008 - 14:14
Candlemass
Defaeco
Negura bungdet

I hope I got it right...
ANy how I don;t really like black metal, but this album holds some golden melodies.
28.06.2008 - 16:19
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Candlemass on 28.06.2008 at 14:14

Negura bungdet

I hope I got it right...
ANy how I don;t really like black metal, but this album holds some golden melodies.

which album? Negura Bunget is a band.
----

28.06.2008 - 16:24
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by Damnated on 28.06.2008 at 16:19

Written by Candlemass on 28.06.2008 at 14:14

Negura bungdet

I hope I got it right...

which album? Negura Bunget is a band.

Om
08.08.2008 - 18:33
havoheJ
Account deleted
Burzum is the best of the atmospheric Black Bands. Second place would be between Ulver and Drudkh.

Greetings havoheJ
09.08.2008 - 15:27
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
would summoning be included in 'atmospheric'?
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
09.08.2008 - 19:07
Sunioj
I wouldn't say that Summoning is black metal imo.
26.03.2009 - 12:21
Voidwalker
Velvet Cacoon.
Super atmospheric. It's a shame they're not on the poll.
26.03.2009 - 13:30
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I voted for Wolves In The Throne Room but I think there are some really good bands missing on that list
28.03.2009 - 06:28
Velvet Cocoon.
28.03.2009 - 11:39
I choose Drudkh for their legendary "Blood In Our Wells" album
28.03.2009 - 20:11
ForeverDarkWoods
Out of that list I voted Weakling. Don't want to be a lame fucker and vote "other". In fact I hate the "other" option in polls since it fucks the result and makes the polls kinda useless. Out of the bands listed, Weakling is the most epic, intense and atmospheric of them all.

WITTR are trying so damn hard to be Weakling. There's so much Weakling in their sound that I've come to the conclusion that Dead As Dreams is probably their favourite album which in their case would be stackad alongside Burzum and various non-bm (non metal probably) bands. These aren't bad influences, but WITTR don't sound like they themselves have a lot to contribute to the scene most of the time.

I'm not all that fond of Drudkh in the first place except for a few songs. They have some really good passages, but then they tend to go all flowery/cheesy and boring on me, and I'm not that much into that stuff. They know what they're doing, but it's mostly not for me.

Leviathan isn't really atmospheric IMO and has no business being compared to these bands at all (too different IMO). There'ws really good Leviathan material, but it's not even near being atmospheric in the same epic way as the rest of these bands IMO, so it's kinda hard to compare. Therefore I don't think they belong on the survey.

Blut Aus Nord are really good, but I like their weirdo material much better than their bm material, and that IMO shouldn't be used to compare them with bm bands, so I'm not gonna vote for them either.

Xasthur and Nortt are just plain boring, and Xasthur is annoying as fuck to boot. Malefic IMO has serious problems writing non-annoying and captivating riffs and that Nortt guy just fails at keeping his music interesting after the first 30 seconds..
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America